• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Distance/Confidence issues! Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance/Confidence issues! Help!

So I'm relatively new to this threat.... Been reading for a while but finally registered to ask for some help.

I've been riding hunters since I was ten. Rode up to some pretty decent levels 3ft+ and some medals when I was a junior.
    I currently do not not have anything I can ride of my own and consistently--- 1 retired horse, and 1 young horse.

I am taking lessons 1+ a week and hacking 2 other times a week on trainer's horses if I'm lucky enough to get out there.

So here's the situation....
    We have been keeping the jumps small but occasionally when my trainer thinks I'm ready she would put a jump or two up to about 3ft. For some reason every time I ride up to anything bigger I keep getting the WORST spots. I always get a large chip and a couple times even stopped.

My trainer said it is because I have no confidence. I feel like I ride up with pace and confidence and for some reason I see the jump and I just stop riding up to it! It is EXTREMELY frustrating and I would love to here how you guys over came this.

I know my pace is my issue but is there anything you guys do that will help me not panic!

Someone suggested a shot of something strong so I'm more relaxed not a bad idea! JK of course!

put a neck strap on and kick?

but in honesty do you think you are possibly pulling back on the reins coming up to the jump? Maybe doing some grids that slowly move up to 3' would help.

Comment

I have the same problem and what sometimes helps me is counting the stride through the whole course. I'm not necessarily counting the strides to the jump or anything in particular--just keeping an even pace throughout the course and giving my over-active brain something to focus on besides nitpicking to a distance. I just softly count in my head 1,2,1,2 around the course.

Comment

my trainer tells the old ladies and little kids as they go around the course "i see it, I see it I see it until they are at the base of the fence then they both say I don't! It works really well (and I've started doing it too) I find it works better than counting because it give a little more guidance.
        My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Comment

Originally posted by raisethebar View Post
          I feel like I ride up with pace and confidence and for some reason I see the jump and I just stop riding up to it!
          I had this exact situation last month. I was jumping a skinny down the hill on someone else's horse and I kept seeing the exact same distance every time. It clearly required a little increase in pace to get to that distance but instead I just sat there. Nasty chips. For me if I get worried I stop functioning. I didn't pull but I didn't kick either. I can get away with this on my own horses because they are TBs and if I soften then their stride increases but this was a warmblood who definitely didn't expend energy without being told. I think some horses lose pace if you tense up or sit down and/or will chip if you jump up the neck. I ride sensitive types usually so I don't have to push them all the way to the base. Its more of a supporting leg if that makes sense. Get a video. It always helps me to see myself. I consider myself someone with a very accurate eye but sometimes I have a particular jump/situation that frustrates the heck out of me. Another good tip is that if you keep finding the same distance then change the track to the jump.
          You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Comment

I have always found that staying steady and forward is key - if your pace is consistent, the distance will work itself out 99% of the time.

I dont like to count, I like to sing. The best song?

Row, row, row your boat
            Gently down the stream
            Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
            Life is but a dream

Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

I know the feeling too.
              I started my coming 5 y/o mare myself and have done all her training, (with the help of some great coaches).
              Unlike my past mounts she isn't confident unless I am.

If I am showing my confidence in her by setting her up, (pace, rhythm) and then sitting quietly and leaving it to her. I have no problems.
              If I start overthinking and/or fussing, she can be a dirty stopper or take a flyer.

I find counting to the fence fixes my overthinking once it starts. I focus on the number of strides to the fence and start counting down once I am about 3 strides out or counting up in between fences after we land.
              This really helps keeps me in time with her, I don't jump ahead and I don't hold onto her and chip.
              Singing would likely work too but you would have to pick something you can sing in your sleep.

It takes practice and you will still get a few mess ups but it makes for a more consistant ride and your confidence will benefit.
              http://dotstreamming.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

equisusan-

THAT is EXACTLY my problem. My old horse was a TB and so athletic. I am now riding more warmbloods who doesn't try unless you ask them. He is super and a great horse it is just a different type of ride.

I am SO glad that others have gone through this and I greatly appreciate everyone's help. I think I need to be more confident and like most of you said, ride up to the fence with pace and it will work itself out!

I worry a lot because I'm a litttttle bit of a perfectionist and I think by singing and/or counting out loud will be able to keep my busy busy mind off of worrying and just ride right up to the jump.

Also working on grids and increase the fences will help! That way I can get confidence over the jumps and trust my horse that I'm riding and myself more

Comment

I think something else that's important to remember is not to change your ride to a fence whether its 18" or 4'. Easier said than done, I know!
                  Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

Don't worry, I think we've all been in your shoes

It sounds to me like you don't really trust your horse is going to get there/be able to help you out if things go a bit south. I know in my experience its hard to feel that your horse can get you out of situations if you're used to the scopey, athletic types who kind of pull you a bit to the fences and then ride ones who either are lazy or back themselves off naturally.

So perhaps you can try placing a take off pole one stride in front of the jump. That way you won't really be focusing on the jump, it will just be on a little, measly ground pole. Because then, once you get there its just a matter of keeping your leg on and letting the horse do its job. Then as you get more confident that yes, your horse will jump this for you, you can start working on moving the pole back and then removing altogether.

Comment

• Original Poster

KateKat-
                      I haven't ridden my own horse for the past couple years. I miss having something that I can work on my ride with. I've been riding lesson horses and my trainer's personal horses and I do think that is why I'm having trust issues because not everything I've been riding has been scopey or athletic and able to get me out of a situation. I've got to have more confidence and that way I won't even be able to put those horses in a situation but sometimes I do not trust the canter step. I think going back to ground poles and canter them while I'm hacking will help with getting a bigger canter step around the corner and then keeping it! Key word = KEEPING IT! LOL.

I really like your idea of a take off pole! That way I will always know how far away I am from the jump! That probably will be the key I am looking for!

Comment

Thank you for posting this...I am going through something very similar!

One thing we are trying to focus on is riding the rhythm and not the jump. In addition, I do not look at the jump but past it. As soon as I come out of the turn and am straight, I focus on something down the ring and do not look at the fence at all, otherwise I pick away any distance that might have been there and chip.

It's definitely a work in progress but those two things seem to be helping me. The fact that the horse I ride will take off from anywhere is also a big help!

Comment

Another thing to try is to keep saying over and over "I will keep my rhythm" in beat to your horse's canter.

I've also had singing and counting work... it seems that what works for me depends on which horse I'm riding.

Comment

• Original Poster

comingback- you're very lucky to have a horse that will do that for you! In fact, the horse that I was riding this past lesson is the same way but I really want to perfect my riding so that I do not panic when I get in a pickle!

Thanks to everyone on here- you guys are great!

Comment

Originally posted by raisethebar View Post
                              equisusan-

THAT is EXACTLY my problem. My old horse was a TB and so athletic. I am now riding more warmbloods who doesn't try unless you ask them. He is super and a great horse it is just a different type of ride
                              I like the ground rail out like 5 strides from the jump. Keep the jump low and practice adding and doing the steps to a small jump. Chipping 3' for most horses with any talent shouldn't be an issue physically but if it feels big to you then lower it a little and get to understand the warmblood ride a bit more. Try two point and kick; try sitting down and driving... try different rides and approaches to understand how this one ticks. Once you let go of perfectionist (hunter rider syndrome) then you can expand your horizons to new rides. It's all good.
                              You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Comment

Maybe your not ready yet then? Maybe you still need to do a lot more poles, cross rails and gymnastics to work on your eye. Don't be in a hurry..... If you get to a ground pole perfectly it could have been a 4ft jump.

I have been riding off and on for a long time and miss distances too. Know you are not alone..... I miss them especially if the horse is something I am not used to riding. Over the years of lessons these words from my trainer are what seem to work more often than not:

1) get your pace... make sure your horse has that uphill canter coming from the hind end. A springy adjustable canter with a soft contact on the rein.

3) Ride the rhythm... once you get the pace keep it as you look for your approach

3) stay straight... Use your legs, hands and seat to make sure your horse is not bulging to the left or right. (I often forget I have legs and to use them)

4) Shorten your reins... I hear that in my sleep. Most people jump with too long of reins. Your hands should be in front of the martingale strap and contact on the bit.

These are just things that help me.
                                Live in the sunshine.
                                Swim in the sea.
                                Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

equisusan- I love your ideas! I think that is definitely what I would/will need to do. The problem is that they are lesson horses that I am riding. Right now my situation is a little bit difficult but will be solved next week when I am trying a new trainer. I think this person will really help get me to where I need to be and even beyond. I know her horses and I will be able to better experiment with them unlike where I am now which I am pretty limited as to not push the horse too much.

I'm with you doublesstables--- I think I forget my leg sometimes too! I was watching the video of me today and I do think I should have had a teeny tiny spur on to assist in pushing him forward.

Thanks again guys! Keep it coming!

Comment

I have had and still have the same issue. It is a mix of confidence but I have found with myself more about what my focus is on. When trying to find my distances I tried to "see" them and I spent so much time trying to see them I never did. At the end of last year, it finally clicked that you don't look to see okay I'm five strides out so much as feeling the rhythm. If you count the rhythm and focus on it the distances will start coming up and the more and more you practice the more consistent you will get with it.

I will honestly canter around the ring and sing row row row your boat, as it matches my horses stride and play with it over poles.

So don't worry so much about whether you can see the distance so much as focus on your rhythm to the fence.
                                    Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
                                    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
                                    Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
                                    Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                    X