• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoroughbreds on the AA circuit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoroughbreds on the AA circuit?

what do you think about thoroughbred's showing on the A circuit in classes like the 3'6 eq or hunters? Do judges tend to place them lower because the horse is a Thoroughbred, even in the eq?

1.) The judge does not have a list of the horses' breeds.

2.) No, they don't get placed lower because they're TBs.

3.) Breed bias is, for the most part, an excuse that people give to justify poor results that in all likelihood were due to errors by the rider and/or horse. Or the horse isn't as high quality as the ones that placed above it. Not every horse walks into the ring starting with a 100! Rumba does. Inclusive does. My mare, who happens to be a TB? Not so much! So my 8 beautiful distances might get me an 85, whereas Inclusive's 7 perfect distances and one teeny weeny bit deep one will still get a 91.

4.) A properly trained horse that does the job will place well. The end.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
    Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

I have an OTTB that was my A/O horse. Now, when he has a spazz moment...they probably go, "oh...I guess this is a thoroughbred." Otherwise, I generally get asked where he is imported from (especially when I first bought him).

He either walked into the ring and won, or spazzed and didn't place. He's beaten many a warmblood and is also a great mover.

His last time showing A/Os:
      http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...5at75103AM.png

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions! I absolutely agree with supershorty628. I only ask your opinions because I have a thoroughbred that I want to take in the equitation, his only flaw is he is a tinyyyyy bit over at the knee but it doesn't affect him at all when it comes to working haha

Comment

I have a OTTB (trained to race, but never actually ran) and she is moving up nicely--not sure if we'll get to AA but definitely into rated. She's been placing well over fences and now (with a TON of work on the flat getting hind end engagement) is starting to win on the flat too against quality company (not AA horses but solid warmbloods, etc.)! I think sometimes TBs need a little more TLC to make them shine--a bit less natural use of their bodies correctly, but with the proper training, I have seen many become very competitive.
          Lesmiz_07

Comment

A tiny bit over at the knee is a much more structurally sound conformation than a tiny bit back at the knee.
            Other than that, a nice, well trained horse that does his job well will get good ribbons, unless there are nicer, better trained horses that do a better job!

Comment

I have a TB that I showed regularly in the 3' hunters (Children's and then Adult Amateurs) on Long Island. I wouldn't say I'm an A/AA-circuit competitor, but I've taken him to the Hampton Classic as well as local A, B, and C-rated shows.

In my experience, I have never felt cheated because he's a TB. The closest thing to a breed bias has been that some judges really like the way he hacks and some judges won't use him at all. I don't really consider this to be a bias because he ISN'T a great mover. He's adequate, and he has a pleasant way of going, and some judges like him and some don't.

A good horse is a good horse is a good horse. If Hero was 500lb heavier and had a fuller, warmblood shape, that would not automatically mean I'd place higher in hacks. If he were a better mover, I would place higher in hacks, but movement isn't a specific warmblood or thoroughbred thing. There are plenty of thoroughbreds that move better than my horse does, and plenty of warmbloods who move worse.

Some judges have a "type" that they like, of course, and hunters are subjective, but I'd venture to say that I've been "helped" by as many old-school, TB-loving judges as I have been "hurt" by those who prefer a warmblood look.

In the eq, you should see even less of this supposed "breed bias" because the focus is on you. If the horse is suitable and you don't make mistakes, you will not be dropped from consideration just because he's a thoroughbred.

To me, "breed bias" is something that was invented by people who don't want to take accountability for their horse show results, and is perpetuated by warmblood breeders/brokers who want to convince everyone that they HAVE to have a warmblood because the judge won't look at them otherwise. But really, it works in my favor because it keeps the price down on TBs (whose personalities I tend to just fit with better, anyway).

Comment

I am lucky enough to have one who has been competitive at this level. I have to be accurate and put in a good course, but I think that stands for all the horses regardless of breed in a class of 50+.

A good solid thoroughbred that can jump is in no way below a warmblood. The judge looks for what best represents a hunter, by jump, rhythm/pace, conformation etc. If you have the whole package, it really doesnt matter if you have a thoroughbred, warmblood, arab, draft cross etc.

Conformation flaws like over at the knee are generally irrelavent in childrens/amateur hunter classes and equitations. I know a lot of horses with small conformation flaws (cow hocket, toed in etc) that are at thetop of their game.

Comment

It's hard enough to find a horse that goes around really well with a capable pilot in the tack. Most judges don't get much further than that before scoring the course they just judged.

Besides, most of the people who see a nice older TB are just sure it is a WB - I get that all the time about my older horse (whereas I think he is so classically a refined TB type that I describe him as a "Sam Savitt TB"). They also think my younger TB is a QH, or at least one was in the woodshed (from the side I think he looks like a TB, from dead on, I can see their point ). People seem to think that lank, growthy, running fit look of a 2-4 year old off the track is what they look like when they are mature. Obviously they have never been stared down by a herd of hungry TB broodmares.
                  Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

I have known quite a few TBs that do great at the As.
                    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

Comment

My daughter finally has a lovely young WB and her new trainer sort of prefers TB! Joke is on us. There is breed biased but it goes both ways And, I hope judges judge the horse and not the breed. God luck to you.

Comment

Thoroughbreds are absolutely TERRIBLE for hunter/jumpers at the AA level!!! (complete sarcasm)

6 of the 11 horses I own are Tb. Some are A circuit horses and some aren't (actually just one isn't but he is a saint of a schoolie). Of those A circuit horses, a couple look like warmbloods and a couple look absolutely like a Tb. My first horse was a tb and he took me from short stirrups to jr hunters, though he did best at 3'- 3'3". I've owned him for close to 18 years and he is still cleaning up in the short stirrup ring with little kids.
                        Last edited by hntrjmprpro45; Feb. 5, 2013, 11:25 AM. Reason: Forgot how many horses I have...

Comment

One of my close friends has a LOVELY dark bay TB who, if you could find 8 spots on, was almost unbeatable in the three foot. His old owners took him to tons of local As and AAs in my area (Old Salem, Fairfield, Ox Rige, etc.) and he always did consistently well. Gorgeous mover too. He's now a happy old man and semi-retired:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...74225603_n.jpg

Comment

I have a TB and I use him in the equitation.. I did my local medal finals with him and have shown him in the big eq since August of last year. I don't see any discrimination.. unless of course I'm the one making the error

Comment

So, maybe this is a dumb question, but how come I almost never see TBs listed, say, over at the H/J Exchange website? Is that just a coincidence?

(BTW-I am a total TB fan and grew up showing many on the local circuit for most of my Jr. years)
                              Barn rat for life

Comment

Originally posted by wcporter View Post
                                So, maybe this is a dumb question, but how come I almost never see TBs listed, say, over at the H/J Exchange website? Is that just a coincidence?

(BTW-I am a total TB fan and grew up showing many on the local circuit for most of my Jr. years)
                                Probably because they are not "in fashion" at the moment and therefore going for lower prices. HunterJumpers exchange tends to showcase mid 5 figures and up. There is one TB and one TB cross on there now but there are a ton more on bigeq where the prices are a little lower.

Maybe this is a little optimistic of me, but all the TBs I know that were successful at a high level were very coveted and could have been sold in a heartbeat.

Comment

I bought an incredibly fancy TB hunter, recently off the track, last year. Unfortunately only made it to a few shows before he got hurt, but I had multiple people come to me at every show, including big name judges, to comment on how much they loved him and how happy they were to see a fancy TB back in the ring. wouldn't trade my boy for the nicest WB in the world...now I just need to get him back to the ring!

My favorite story actually is from his 2nd show, at the end of the day the judge came to me at the in gate and personally told me that he was incredibly impressed by my horse. We had some issues w/ his weight when we first got him (at least 200 lbs underweight), but he commented that once i got the weight on he'd be unstoppable

Comment

You cannot say how lovely your TB is and then not post a picture.

I believe it's against forum rules!

Comment

If I had my own farm, I would be bringing TB's home and training for jumper land!! They have the brains, speed and stamina, and are "strong willed"!! They can go far in the jumper ring if your willing and able to put the time in.

Comment

LOVE my OTTB. She's smart, beautiful, and athletic. And sweet as the day is long!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X