• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OTTB canter challenges, input appreciated!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I watched my OTTB be ridden and I will say that the canter transition has been very tough. He has been in full time training for about 18 months with 3 months off due to back issues. His back issues came about when I moved him from his trainers barn to my local barn. I found a trainer at the local barn and her saddle worked for him and no more back issues but before that I had the dressage trainer work with him as well as an amatuer rider-neither had a saddle that fit him.

It seems that you are progressing, canter transition seems to be the last thing that has come together for my guy. He is still growing and I do give him an anti-inflamatory which has helped. Sounds like you are getting there, two steps forward three steps back....babies...

Comment

OP, with the additional information, I am thinking she has something going besides the probable ulcers you have started treating.

When a horse transitions to canter, they rock back. If they have sore hocks, stifles, something higher up with the spine pelvis or hips (like old fractures)? It hurts and they react. Especially with a one sided injury, over time they can compensate and try to protect the area to the point they mess something else up-like that stiff neck. And they don't always limp, especially if it is higher up. Got a friend that chased a fractured pelvis for 2 years and thousands of $$$$ before a diagnosis-that one never limped but was erratic behavior wise and had a bad time with that canter depart.

I would love to know if she was actually bred and produced a foal (or they attemted to do so) in that year they claim she was a broodmare or if she was out because she got hurt? JC would have records of any registered offspring so that can be checked...but why would they breed if she was too slow?

Easy test you can do-put her on one of the new tummy friendly NSAIDS/pain killing meds (like Previcox) for a week according to vets suggested dosage and interval (some of that stuff is better every other day, some 2 days in a row and then every other day). If she shows even minor improvement? You will will know it's pain-won't tell you from what or where but it's a cheap way to see what direction you might want to go. That might involve keeping her on an NSAID to get rid of the inflammation, various procedures or both.

I had one years ago that was, basically, mean as a snake finally diagnosed with a sweeney-degenerative condition in the shoulder caused by concussive injury (falling on it or running into a post or something). Never limped, but no wonder she was so difficult to work with...that thing must have really hurt.

Did your vet check include rads of the hocks and stifles or just the feet and lower leg?

At least IMO we can rule out family history, nothing in her family tree says she might be nuts.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
        As a responsible horse owner, wouldn't one first rule out health issues?
        As a responsible trainer, I try to spend my clients' money on the training solution that is very likely to dramtically improve the horse in between 1-5 interactions. Nothing is stopping anyone from additionally trying $900 in ulcer medication but I have successfully addressed this issue in two horses presenting the same issues in the past six months and the owners bought one $40 lesson a week and some $25 prorides at first, and within five sessions had a horse they could ride.

People hire vets to solve medical issues, and trainers to solve things like overreactivity or not allowing the rider to use any aids without an explosion.
        Last edited by meupatdoes; Feb. 3, 2013, 07:10 PM.
        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Just wondering, but have you had your vet check out the left side of her neck? I had an OTTB with similiar issues. Turned out he had fractured the vertebra in his neck down near the shoulder. (I think C7 & C8 but I could be totally wrong). They were healed, but he had developed large bone spurs on them, that caused lots of inflammation and pain. He had a hard time turning his neck, I originally just thought he was stiff. And while he would walk and trot well under saddle, cantering was basically a no go for us. Just food for thought.

I would also check out lymes and ulcers. Both of those could very likely be the culprit.
          Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
          Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
          "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
          I love my Dublin-ator

Comment

Here is your mare's racing history.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...655&registry=T

She actually wasn't all that slow, although she didn't break her maiden, and Elko Fair isn't exactly Santa Anita. I could see someone trying to breed her for something to run locally. She last raced in September 09, so has been off the track a little over three years. I pulled a produce record and she has no recorded foals. Usually the produce report will indicate if the mare has been bred and was barren, but her owners may not have bothered to report if she was bred and slipped or didn't catch.
            Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone, for the input and information; Sing Mia Song, thank you for passing along that link (very prestigious racing over here, yes? ) I e-mailed her last owner asking what had happened to the potential breeding, and turns out the gal who bought her for a brood mare is this owner's grandmother, and she took the breeding off the table so that she could sell her to her granddaughter as a prospective barrel racer.

I started her on the ulcer treatment Wednesday, still don't have great arena footing yet but hopefully can start legging her back up next week. Hopefully be able to tell at that point if I'm even on the right path. If not, will start to rule out other possibilities; as budget allows will rule out one thing at a time and hopefully have this figured out by Spring. Poor girl.

The vet took rads from hocks and knees down when we did the PPE, and just palpated the neck as we noticed the stiffness when she was trotting out and circling back. Knowing she was a project horse, he agreed it couldn't hurt to get the chiro out to see what she could do; I haven't noticed stiffness since the initial treatments and the chiro on repeat visits hasn't found any soreness, but you never know. Will also look at her hind end, too, and look into the cyst possibilities.

Thank you everyone!!

Comment

Working...
              X