• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Taking a horse on trial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a horse on trial

I'm in the market for a new horse and was offered to take a horse on trial. I've never done that before, I've just gone out to try and ended up buying right away, however I’m seriously considering it.

I haven't worked out the particulars with the seller but what is involved with taking a horse on trial? Insurance? Money down, etc?

When I've been involved in this kind of arrangement, the ground rules have been:
    * no out of state trials
    * usually for a limited period of time (i.e. 5 to 7 days)
    * horse is not to be turned out with other horses
    * horse can only ridden by the buyer and her trainer
    * usually you leave a check/cash for the sale amount with the seller and if anything happens to the horse while in the buyers care, the buyer is responsible for the expenses
    * If the horse will be jumping, there is usually a restriction on the height and number of jumps, etc.

Those are the highlights, but it is really up to you and the seller to arrange.

Comment

You need insurance, for sure.
      Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

I have never done this before, but I would treat it as a lease with a clause to buy. I am sure you are going to get all sorts of answers, but it really depends on what each party agrees. I leased my horse for 1.5 years before I bought him.

I would ask the owner what they are comfortable with doing and work it out with them. I would make sure you have it all in writing. I would get a PPE before and an agreed upon price in the contract along with insurance if applicable with medical and mortality.

I would also consider what happens if the horse is hurt, if you want to take him off property, how many times they will allow you to jump the horse, ect.
        Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
        www.thesaddlefits.com
        Society of Master Saddlers trained saddle fitter

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
          You need insurance, for sure.
          Definitely

Comment

Originally posted by sammicat View Post
            When I've been involved in this kind of arrangement, the ground rules have been:
            * no out of state trials
            * usually for a limited period of time (i.e. 5 to 7 days)
            * horse is not to be turned out with other horses
            * horse can only ridden by the buyer and her trainer
            * usually you leave a check/cash for the sale amount with the seller and if anything happens to the horse while in the buyers care, the buyer is responsible for the expenses
            * If the horse will be jumping, there is usually a restriction on the height and number of jumps, etc.

Those are the highlights, but it is really up to you and the seller to arrange.
            Re: insurance. The owner buys it and names himself as payee. You pay the premium for the duration of the trial. The insurance company knows where the horse is and who is responsible for care. In the contract, the buyer agrees to follow the insurance company's instructions to the letter (since that has to happen for the owner to collect).

And the best contracts I have seen require that the owner has seen and approved of the facility where the horse will be kept.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! As I've said this would be the first time I took a horse on trial. The only reason I'm leaning towards it, is because the horse has been sitting in a field for a while not being ridden. This way I can see what the mare is really like and if she's not suitable, I would be able to send her back.

I'll make sure there's a iron tight contact etc..to protect myself as well as the seller.

Comment

Actually on the insurance, the owner is the payee if its for mortality.

OP, I am not going to tell you to NOT do it. What I will caution you against is that when you take a horse on trial the deal is "you break it, you bought it". That means if, for example, the horse trips, pulls a suspensory and comes up lame under your care? You own it. Trials are a HUGE liability for both parties, including the BUYER, and that is something commonly overlooked.

I know a woman who paid $15k for a horse who moved like a hackney because it flipped over in the cross ties and tore up a hind leg... Before she ever rode it. Be careful.
                "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                ---
                The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I've never taken a horse on trial, either, but I'd agree with EqTrainer that I'd be wary of the risks. Another thing that would trouble me a bit is moving the mare from a field to a stable situation on a trial. She might be totally fine with it, but I would worry that the shock to the system and completely different routine might send her into hysterics.

Do the current owners have the accommodations for you to possibly trial her there? Either way, I wish you luck in your endeavours!

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys have given me some stuff to think about. If I do end up taking the horse, maybe I'll ask if she'll do a 30 day lease/free lease situation instead of calling it a trial.

tinydragon, the owner assured me the mare is very easy going so I don't think she'll have a problem with indoor board but it is something to think about. I'll see what I end up doing with I actally go out there to see the horse in person.

Comment

I've done a 30 day free lease before, where I didn't pay, but we signed a lease contract. I've also done a 30 day lease where the money I paid would've gone towards the horse's price, but I didn't end up getting the horse. My horse now I got a 5 day trial on, but the two trainers know each other well and have worked together before. I jumped him two of the days, flatted him once, and my trainer jumped him one, on day 3 we got a vet check including blood work and x-rays.
                      Mendokuse

Comment

Originally posted by hunterrider23 View Post
                        I've done a 30 day free lease before, where I didn't pay, but we signed a lease contract. I've also done a 30 day lease where the money I paid would've gone towards the horse's price, but I didn't end up getting the horse. My horse now I got a 5 day trial on, but the two trainers know each other well and have worked together before. I jumped him two of the days, flatted him once, and my trainer jumped him one, on day 3 we got a vet check including blood work and x-rays.
                        OP, if you are working with your trainer she will be able to let you know about the free lease/30 day lease thing, but my opinion, fwiw, is that the seller is not going to want to do that. It's a much bigger risk to the seller than the trial as the trial is almost certainly going to be a short period of time.

The idea behind a trial is that you are 98% sure you are going to buy the horse, but you just want to make sure the horse is not going to act funny or have some other issue that might be a deal breaker once you get her home. As hunterrider23 said, the trial usually involves a couple of days of riding, a day or so for the trainer, and a vet visit, if applicable. It is not generally an extended evaluation period. Think of it as the 7 day money back period if you are not satisfied with your car.

Comment

While the downsides of trials for sellers have been discussed at length on this board, there also can be a downside for the buyer, namely taking responsibility and financial risk on a horse you aren't sure that you want to buy.

When a horse has been sitting in a field for a time and is out of work/out of shape, it could be very advantageous for a seller to offer a "trial" to someone who would get the horse in shape, temporarily take responsibility for it's care, and assume the risk of something happening to it while it is getting back into shape. For all you know, the horse was laid off for a time because it was slightly NQR or was having some kind of a training issue.

Personally, if I were taking a horse on "trial" in the scenario you describe, I would be willing to risk a month's board & basic care plus my own time riding the horse--but I probably would not be willing to pay for insurance and assume the risk of injuries/lameness, vet bills, etc. In other words, I would not be comfortable agreeing to a "you break it, you buy it" type situation with an out of work horse that was not currently performing at the level I wanted it to perform at. I would be willing to agree to limitations on jumping, trailering, etc. I also would want the purchase price listed in the trial contract--I wouldn't want the seller increasing the price if the horse was going much better than expected at the end of the trial.

Another thing to consider is the timing of a vet check. What if you invest a month's board and training in this horse, and then a vet check reveals something that changes the picture? What if the vet check reveals something that the sellers want to blame you for? Personally, with a youngish, healthy horse I'd probably hold off on the vet check until the end of the trial, but I might ask pointedly about the horse's health history and confirm that they would disclose the vet records.

Comment

It really seems to depend on where you are when it comes to trials. At most BNT/A circuit barns, the trials happen by verbal agreement. Buyer tries horsey, likes horsey, wants more time to decide before plunking down $$$$ for horsey, trainers powwow, potential buyer takes horsey to trainer's facility, spends a week or two or three trying it out, then either vets it or sends it home at buyer's expense. Commonly the horse isn't turned out unless the owner specifically requests that he is, but that's about as far as it goes for anything very special. Potential buyer pays board obviously but that's it. I haven't ever heard of anyone paying insurance on the horse during the trial period.

FWIW I've seen these trials last anywhere from five days to a month. It just depends on how flexible the seller is, how badly they want the horse sold and how the buyer is feeling about the whole thing.

Things might be different for a private seller selling to someone who keeps their horse in their backyard or at a non-trainer barn (or a facility without the greatest reputation).

Recently I know of someone who was trialing a horse coming out of time off (not injury related) and the owner paid insurance/board while the buyer was trialing the horse for a month. They also wanted the horse sold badly and knew there would be no chance of that happening if the horse fell out of work again.

There is also no way I would get a vet check done before a trial, whoever suggested that. If the horse doesn't work out, you're out a whole lot of ca$h for a vet check on a horse you don't even want.

Comment

Working...
                            X