• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lease Pricing Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease Pricing Question

Is $15k for a year lease (plus vet, farrier, etc. and $1200 / month in board and training) of a super smooth, fancy (tall, four big white socks, blaze), and reliable hunter mare with a mild soundness issue that doesn't affect her work but is visible in the jog at a show a good deal?

I have no real plans to show, I'm just looking for something on which to improve my riding and build confidence over courses. Lease is in Houston. I would plan to buy something suitable once my riding is back up to par at the end of the lease.

She is at the barn where I ride, and I trust the trainers there, but I wanted to get a second opinion since I don't really know the wider market. I tried her once and loved her --- super comfortable and forgiving ride.

Thanks in advance!

Is the mare worth $45k? General rule of thumb is 1/3 of the horse's price/worth.

ETA: I don't think I'd drop 15k on a lease horse I don't even plan on showing when I anticipate purchasing my own mount shortly after the lease. Seems like a waste to me; why blow 15k if you're only using the horse to improve your riding? Personally, I'd put that 15k towards my horse budget. A horse you own can improve your riding just as much as a horse you lease.

Comment

For a horse with a visible soundness issue, yes, I think that is a lot. If you have no plans to show and are only looking for a mount to give you some confidence jumping courses, I think you can find something for substantially under that price tag. As the previous poster stated, a 15K lease would be for a horse worth 45K. In this economy, a horse with soundness issues would be a tough sell at that price. I'd shop around before committing to that. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Comment

For that type of money...

You can take lessons that cost $100 each 6 days a week and not have to shoe, vet, or any other misc expenses.
        $100 a lesson is very expensive, or cheaper lessons and lease a horse for clinics and go to several..

Just a thought
        " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
        http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

I shall not give an opinion as I know said horse and rider, but I will provide some more specifics:

Horse is from a BNT, is an "AA" hack winner without the soundness issue but still completely beginner safe. Takes a 10yr old beginner around maiden courses just as easily as she does 3'6" derby courses. Soundness never gets worse and she vets clean (no one can find anything wrong, she just isn't 100%).

Comment

The price may be reasonable but for your goals ... No. If you wanted to lease first I'd find an average horse for much less cost. If I had $15k for a years usage I might start looking on what you can buy and work on your riding as you are shopping, unless the current barn doesn't have that sort of horse available while your shop.

Comment

15k for a horse you can't show definitely isn't a good deal, but it might be right for your situation if you have the specific goal of showing in the 3'6 the year after the lease and want something to give you confidence and experience before buying your own. If you aren't working on moving up to the 3'6, then it absolutely is a rip off. There are plenty of x-rails to 3ft packer horses that you can show lease for around 15k (or under).

Comment

Originally posted by JustMyStyle View Post
                I shall not give an opinion as I know said horse and rider, but I will provide some more specifics:

Horse is from a BNT, is an "AA" hack winner without the soundness issue but still completely beginner safe. Takes a 10yr old beginner around maiden courses just as easily as she does 3'6" derby courses. Soundness never gets worse and she vets clean (no one can find anything wrong, she just isn't 100%).
                Since the horse does have a soundness issue it really doesn't matter from a pricing perspective it is used to be a hack winner. Also, not sure how she can vet clean but isn't 100%????

OP, while it sounds like this lease is over prioced, only you can say for sure. For instance if you are a newish rider without a lot of confidence and this horse makes you feel like you can conquer the world it might be worth doing. On the other hand, if it is just that this is a pretty horse with a nice resume, I think you can probably do better money wise with something less fancy.
                Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

I would think you can find a better price for a horse not as fancy but just as beginner safe as a learn on get confidence back horse. If you are not going to show the horse you are going to lease you do not need the fancy side, just the safe side. And though safe does cost money, just safe and not fancy is less than safe and fancy.

Comment

I think the key here is how high you will be jumping and what kind of stride you will be practicing. If you are jumping 3 ft and practicing the horse show steps and want to put it all together with clean lead changes, this mare is priced exactly right and may even be a deal - sounds like she has extra. I dont know that I could find a horse to introduce someone to the 3 ft safely with the correct step and a lead change for cheaper than that. At least not in a major market area.

If you are only jumping 2 6 or the step isnt a concern, or a good lead change doesnt matter then absolutely you can lease something for less.

And to the poster who argued that you can lesson every day for less? absolutely right - if you want a walk trot jump cross rails lesson. If you want to jump real jumps, with real step, you have to pay for that priviledge.
                    Dina
                    www.threewishesfarm.com
                    www.fairharbourfarm.com
                    http://www.facebook.com/ThreeWishesFarm Like us on Facebook!!

Comment

Originally posted by toomanyponies View Post
                      I think the key here is how high you will be jumping and what kind of stride you will be practicing. If you are jumping 3 ft and practicing the horse show steps and want to put it all together with clean lead changes, this mare is priced exactly right and may even be a deal - sounds like she has extra. I dont know that I could find a horse to introduce someone to the 3 ft safely with the correct step and a lead change for cheaper than that. At least not in a major market area.

If you are only jumping 2 6 or the step isnt a concern, or a good lead change doesnt matter then absolutely you can lease something for less.

And to the poster who argued that you can lesson every day for less? absolutely right - if you want a walk trot jump cross rails lesson. If you want to jump real jumps, with real step, you have to pay for that priviledge.
                      Sorry, I'm confused... We're taking the horse's step into play? What horse doesn't have the stride to do 3'? And lead changes? Besides the fact that that's irrelevant because she's not showing... Those are some odd criteria for a lease. A 12' stride and a clean change do not (IMO) a 15k lease make. Those two things are a dime a dozen.

I won't comment on whether or not the lease is priced well as I don't know the horse. The lameness does give me pause. Even if it's just because the horse must be sore SOMEWHERE if it's limping, it just hasn't been found yet. I wouldn't want to be a contributor.

I will say again that I think it's a bit of a silly thing to do to pay 15k on a lease right before buying a horse just to get your confidence up. 15k is a lot of money. Add that to your horse budget and you'll probably be able to buy a (sound) horse that will get your confidence up - and then you get to keep it!

Comment

I think if you enjoy riding her and will get to do some shows this year then it sounds like a great situation. Whatever the soundness issue is, it doesn't sound like you show in a division that requires a jog anyway (ie jr hunters?) and that your trainer will be able to manage her comfort level. After a year with this horse you will probably have gained a lot of experience which will be helpful when shopping for a horse to buy.
                        Katie

Comment

Is this a real question? If so, I vote no way.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

She sounds like a nice horse. If you don't want to reserve the $15k towards the purchase price of the horse you will buy, I would use the lameness as a negotiating point on the lease price.

For your purposes, you are essentially leasing a schoolmaster that is a good egg but has visible and continuing soundness issues. I might pay $5k-$6k a year to lease something like this.

Comment

Putting $30K+ on a horse you don't own and don't intend to show? While I am ALL FOR confidence building (had mine ripped to shreds and even as a teen, it did not come back easily), I am not of the school where the horse knows it all and all the rider needs to do is know where the buttons are (which is what toomanyponies sounds like to me). I believe you learn to ride, to become a better horseman, by riding different horses (as many as possible). It DOES help tremendously to ride a horse that will give you what you want easily so you can FEEL what 'it' is supposed to be like, but once you have that feel...

Then again, just know that I am a fossil who still can't wrap my brain around pricing these days.

Carol
                              www.ayliprod.com
                              Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

If you were planning to show this horse, particularly at 3', I would say this horse if priced appropriately since 3' divisions don't jog (at least in my area) so the jog issue wouldn't come into play. Based on the post about the horse being the hack winner, I am assuming the hack class is not an issue.
                                However, for the OPs purposes, I think you could learn and build confidence on a less fancy horse. I would have to ask though, and maybe I missed it, what do you plan to work on for the next year? If your goal is to learn to jump 3'6" courses by the end of this year, then you probably will have to pay a lease fee like this, as in my experience it is hard to find a 3'6" horse to lease for less than 15k/ year, especially one that sounds safe and fairly push button (I would actually say that is a bargain for that case). Is it that you can't show this horse or you are choosing not to? I wasn't clear on that front. If the horse can show, it is definitely worth a 15k lease, whether the lessee chooses to show or not.

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixjump View Post
                                  You can take lessons that cost $100 each 6 days a week and not have to shoe, vet, or any other misc expenses.
                                  $100 a lesson is very expensive, or cheaper lessons and lease a horse for clinics and go to several..

Just a thought
                                  Yabbut, the OP might have a hard time finding quality schoolies-- no matter how often she rode.

Otherwise, OP, I think the trainer/owner "saw you coming" and $15K is a little steep. As others have said, they can't sell a mare who won't jog for $45K.

So leasing is what you do in this situation. Leasing to someone who never needs a super-sound horse is, well, their wet dream. Why? Because her fanciness cannot matter to anyone else since she can't be shown very well.

OTOH, is she a total packer? Will she bail you out of every bad situation you get into? Do you need that kind of horse? Is she unusual among the horses you have been looking at? If these are true, I can see paying some kind of lease fee for her.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

If you aren't showing, I think $15K for the year is a bit much. If you were planning on showing her, I think the story would be different. As someone else said, you can get some lessons on very good horses for similar or less and have the added benefit of getting a wide variety of experience.

Comment

Just a few observations, in no particular order.

If you decide to lease this horse, you should consider how the soundness issue will affect your vet bill and possibly your farrier bill since you will be at least partially responsible for those bills. Additionally, you should consider how a bout of unsoundness that affects your ability to ride her regularly will be handled in the lease. I don't imagine you want to pay the freight on a horse you can't ride.

If the soundness issue is limited to more of a "hmm, does she look a little stiff once in a while" sort of thing, it may work out fine but consider that an unsound horse won't pass a pre-purchase and a horse that can't pass a pre-purchase is not worth $45,000 to most people.

Someone else mentioned that one can't really jump courses of any magnitude on a school horse and that is generally true. If your objective is to build confidence and eventually end up in the 3' or 3'6" divisions, you will have to either buy, lease or share-board to get there so this horse may be a good means to do that for you. On the other hand, remember that the freight costs more than the horse in most cases so you may end up better off buying something now of similar caliber (without the soundness issue) if that is what you will be looking for at the end of the lease anyway. I'd rather pay for training my horse than someone else's and I don't get the impression that at the end of this lease you would be looking for a green horse.

Just some things to think about. Hope it's helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanyponies View Post
                                        . I think the key here .... If you want to jump real jumps, with real step, you have to pay for that priviledge.
                                        Huh ... lease an unsound horse to practice jumping 3 ft plus???? What kind of horsemanship is this? That would be my 'key' question.

Comment

Working...
                                        X