• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

John Madden in American Horses in Sport Issue (Very long and a rant)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Midge View Post
    First, I know nothing about this particular case and I only know the people involved by sight.

That said, what I heard was the amount of cocaine was so small, it was less than the amount that is routinely excused by people who handle money, because cocaine is present on money.

I found that interesting, because I remember hearing the exact same thing about another cocaine case and the 'trainers' got their braider to say he peed on the hay and he was a cocaine user. That's how the horse ended up with a positive.

Now, if this tiny amount of cocaine is present on our money and is enough to be turned up in tests, why doesn't it come up all the time? there should be horses right and left getting positives for cocaine. Yet, I can't even recall one a year. It's been around 20 years since the junior hunter and the peeing braider.

So, whatever the REAL story is, I'm skeptical that it's a tiny amount that should be with the allowable limit.
    Yabbut.... how much cocaine does it take to produce those little "I got via handling money" amounts in a horse?

It seems to me that the horse would have to handle a lot of money with his lips to get there.

What am I not understanding in this common explanation?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

As for the use of cocaine, as I've heard it told on this BB, the value of cocaine is in the downside, the withdrawal of it, meaning that the argument of "it was only a trace" is not at all compelling. A trace is consistent with an earlier administration.

If it was highly random contamination, then there should be a lot more positives.

Reading the NARG newsletter, "we wonder whether the FEI would have taken this same hard line position" ... where the heck have they been? Do they not remember Athens and Hong Kong? Take your pick of sad stories there.

And I think furthermore that any horseman who thinks a violation involving an NSAID == cocaine is seriously in denial.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Originally posted by Molly Sorge View Post
        That was in June. You simply reported the hearing and results in a longer article on the Olympic show jumping team. You did not report on how the suspension was quietly lifted in November. (There was a thread about that on this forum.)

We also were one of the very first, and only, to report on the death of Humble...
        http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ony-dies-devon

That information was also included in the magazine's story about Devon.
        Who else would be reporting on the death of Humble? In Touch? Popular Mechanics? Garden & Gun? This is your purview. Reporting the death of a pony at Devon is a demonstration of competence, not excellence.

Oh, Molly. No, no, no, no. Do you really expect me to believe that 'Edited Press Release' is the name of a staff writer at the Chronicle? Do you really think that a press release of any kind, edited or not, is 'reporting' or 'journalism'? It's not.

That's better. But it's a report on a public talk. I don't see where the Chronicle writer has asked any questions of the principals based on their remarks in the forum. In real news, a reporter would pull the principals aside for clarifications or further questions. It's not always required but this is often part of how stories are investigated. Otherwise, we're just taking everyone uncritically at their word.

We have upset many people, many times, including the USEF quite a bit.

I would add that we've published multiple times on the topic of drugging...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ce-old-problem

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...%99s-dangerous
        And the end result of that 'upset' is what? Hopefully, a media organization that demands (1) more respect from the sport that it covers and (2) more transparency from the governing organizations in that sport. We -- the horse community, the members of these organizations -- need a strong, independent press presence to help keep our sport and its organizations honest.

Comment

I agree. It would have been nice (and really, expected) to have the Chronicle follow up on the lifting of the suspension of Bruce Burr and the reasoning behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by SunNSand View Post
            Geez, instead of banning DMSO (that's news to me) how about cleaning up the backside?
            It irks me that tracks don't require drug testing of backside employees. 90% of the people back there would be gone gone gone. Not to mention track officials turn a blind eye to drinking and other unsavory activities in the barns. Some tracks are worse than others but its pretty bad when people are drinking in full view of anyone walking by.

Horse snorting coke. What the world is coming to :-(

Comment

First off - that NARG thing is risible. Seriously, upper level riders, you want some CHEESE with that whine? You got beaten at the Olympic Games. Life's not fair. Deal with it and move on, like the professionals you CLAIM to be.

Second: if Mr. Madden is alleging that the wrong person got set down for the cocaine offense (which I do not think he is, but let's pretend), let me remind him and all other professionals reading this that it takes a really special kind of tacky to throw your own employees under the bus and then whine about how hard-done-by you are by those pesky USEF rules.

Sympathy??? Hell, I don't even have any patience left to spare on ANY of these people.
              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                And the end result of that 'upset' is what? Hopefully, a media organization that demands (1) more respect from the sport that it covers and (2) more transparency from the governing organizations in that sport. We -- the horse community, the members of these organizations -- need a strong, independent press presence to help keep our sport and its organizations honest.
                YES! Thank you. Exactly. Bravo!
                "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
                -H.M.E.

Comment

Really! Molly, this is such a topic of concern to a great many horse people ,as is evidenced by the many discussions about these drug violations on this BB and now, a wider public since the publication of the New York Times article.
                  I think COTH should keep up with the news and be a source that can be looked to for information about these matters.

Is it a reluctance on the part of COTH to "dwell" on the negative? The reluctance to ruffle the feathers of important people, some that do contribute to COTH with articles, advertising and such? I can understand that tendency, however, with the seriousness of the drugging issue, I think it should be addressed.

USEF needs to be upfront with it's members. ALL of it's members, not just the elite, and I think COTH could (and should) help it's readership by reporting without being selective.

I don't think anyone wants COTH to become the National Enquirer of equine publications, but this is a serious matter. Not reporting information, that should be available to everyone concerned with the problem of drugging, smacks of the good old boy mentality and is a disappointment.
                  Last edited by skydy; Jan. 29, 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I believe DMSO will carry anything soluble directly into the bloodstream. But the other substance still needs to be around the horse and, depending on how the horse was handled, that substance could get in even without the DMSO. I don't really see how the DMSO is the crux of the problem.
                    ~Veronica
                    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post

Second: if Mr. Madden is alleging that the wrong person got set down for the cocaine offense (which I do not think he is, but let's pretend)
                      Honestly, that was how I read the quote..

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                        I believe DMSO will carry anything soluble directly into the bloodstream. But the other substance still needs to be around the horse and, depending on how the horse was handled, that substance could get in even without the DMSO. I don't really see how the DMSO is the crux of the problem.
                        Honestly..I agree.
                        IMHO, people that find themselves in the Mario Delaurier/Bruce Burr/ Jane Clark/Urico situation need to be more concerned about keeping cocaine users out of their programs,rather than complaining about the testing that shows minute amounts of cocaine found in their horses.

Comment

Is John Madden implying it was sabotage? If so, why doesn't he come out and say it? Honestly, even if you weren't GIVING COCAINE to your horse... lie down with dogs and get up with fleas. People who are handling cocaine regularly enough to have it on their hands and get it accidentally into your horse isn't "blaming the wrong person." It's your choice who you employ. The only way I can see an argument for blaming the wrong person is if someone outside the program gave the horse the drug. Could that really be what happened? I thought barn protocol was pretty locked down at these sort of events.
                          ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                            The only way I can see an argument for blaming the wrong person is if someone outside the program gave the horse the drug. Could that really be what happened? I thought barn protocol was pretty locked down at these sort of events.
                            I have no specific knowledge about this particular case.

In my experience with horses in the FEI setting, the protocol is designed to prevent unauthorized people from getting into the stable area. If you have the proper credentials to get past the stable gate, once you're inside, nobody tracks where you go, or if you're in your own aisle or a different aisle. Somebody might notice you, but not the official security guard who watches the gate. If you go late at night for night check when nobody is around....

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                              I have no specific knowledge about this particular case.

In my experience with horses in the FEI setting, the protocol is designed to prevent unauthorized people from getting into the stable area. If you have the proper credentials to get past the stable gate, once you're inside, nobody tracks where you go, or if you're in your own aisle or a different aisle. Somebody might notice you, but not the official security guard who watches the gate. If you go late at night for night check when nobody is around....
                              Right, I mean-- that's how it was for the observation event at Devon. So the only person who could access your horse was your staff or someone else's staff in that part of the facility. So SOMEBODY authorized to be caring for the horses would have to have the banned substance. Which means its you, your grooms, someone else's grooms, or another rider. It just seems.... sort of unlikely that it would be sabotage at such a high profile event... and if that's what he's hinting around, why doesn't he say it?!
                              ~Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by SunNSand View Post
                                Whenever I hear about a positive test for cocaine (often in racing) I can't help but think of tampering. I mean who is dumb enough to dose their horse with that stuff when they KNOW the horse will likely be tested? The concequences just are not worth it. I'd love to hear the whole story but honestly doubt it will ever come out.
                                That doesn't pass the smell test any more than this did IMHO http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-from-Olympics

Comment

Well said JER and Skydy!

Hope COTH sees that we want some in depth investigative articles on these types of issues! I would subscribe if they had those types of articles.

P.
                                  A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Comment

There are a lot of articles about very small amounts of cocaine being found in Racehorses.They test for a by product of cocaine and do not know if other substances the horses ingest or come in contact with produce this same by product.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...em-lab-testin/

http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0...704-9/abstract

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                      That doesn't pass the smell test any more than this did IMHO http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-from-Olympics
                                      1. What is was trying to say is that someone that gives their horse cocaine when they know there is a good chance of being tested isn't very bright and is risking a lot. It would make more sense that the horse has been tampered with but then again not everyone in the horse world is bright/sane.
                                      2. Tampering does happen. I have only seen it first hand in racing. Does it happen in other disciplines? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                                        They shouldn't have been feeding the horse money. I know hay is expensive in Florida, but cutting out the middleman and just feeding your horse money directly is really too much.
                                        I know this is a serious discussion of the politics of doping, but I cannot let this comment slide without.
                                        A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

If the regulatory authority holds its line, it is possible to discipline high-profile drug offenders http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rugs-test.html. A question of organisational culture, I suspect.
                                          "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Working...
                                          X