• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Adult Amateur over 51 years old division question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Amateur over 51 years old division question?

I am a true amateur adult rider in every way. I work full time, I keep my horses at home, have been riding most of my life but just recently changed discliplines from dressage to hunter a few years ago (although as a young adult I rode in the local hunter schooling shows on borrowed horses). I am relatively new to the whole A circuit show scene and thankfully have been able to stay away from the big show barn drama scene as I ship in and do my own thing most of the time.

I have been lucky enough to breed a very nice horse who holds her own in good company (which says a lot considering it is little ole me that shows her) but I recently saw a division that interests me...the 51 year old and above.

Frankly it would be nice not to have to compete with that 20 to 35 year old in the prime of their life, wealthy young lady that has a pro help her every step of the way and compete with shall I say, those more "mature" riders such as myself.

Is this division strictly for the "uber" rich adult rider that has a full time coach or trainer or can an amateur rider who does it on their own really have a shot at it......this might be just a pipe dream but I thought I would ask you guys for your honest opinion.

Its going to depend on the show. I don't see any reason there wouldn't be uber rich 55 year olds who train with BNTs if there are uber rich 25 years old who train with BNTs at the same show.

That said, you might be able to avoid all the 19-22 year olds who just aged out of the juniors.

Comment

Usually shows that are big enough to offer 51+ adults are for "uber rich" or good riders/horses. Fortunately there are not all that many of us. Aside from hunter politics, you should be just as competitive as everyone else. And really, at our age it is no longer all about the ribbons (ya right)... it's about winning back the entry fees ! Good luck- it's the best bunch of people I know.

Comment

PS I am uber horse poor, but ride okay

Comment

It can be a competitive division, just like any other depending on the show you attend. It is sometimes combined with the youngers and the middles at some of the smaller and medium sized shows, your points, however would accrue to your age group...

Comment

There are all kinds in the Adult Amatuer divisions. Some are wealthy. Some are not. Some work, some don't. But they all want to do well. You still need a nice horse and to put in a good round regardless of how much money is in the bank.

So I wouldn't caught up in who is and who isn't.

Comment

Heck, I'd venture to say that there are more "uber wealthy" 50-plus women who can afford much nicer horses than the 20s and 30s ladies who may just now be beginning their careers and are out of access to Mommy's or Daddy's bank account that funded their junior years. If the money factor is your main concern, I am not sure you'll be happily surprised. ANd I think *most* on the A circuit have a pro trainer, regardless of division.
              Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

I think it really is about where you are, but if you are a good rider, on a nice horse--why not give it a go! I don't care how much $$ you have, you still have to find all 8 fences. If your trainer feels you could be competitive then do it.

I know here in the PNW, it is a small group of good riders on nice horses (okay, some really nice, very expensive horses) but I've seen all of them make typical amateur mistakes. because in the end, you still have to ride.
                Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                  because in the end, you still have to ride.
                  Exactly right Focus on your ride, and forget about the rest!
                  Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Give it a try, and enjoy yourself! However, it is a very competitive division. Most of the competitors in that division are very well mounted, and can ride well. They are also the nicest bunch of people at the shows. You might want to look at the USEF year-end standings for the over 35 Adult Ammys in your zone, and then figure out which of them are over 51. If you're in Zone 4, I can help you if you don't know the people. I think it's a very fun division.
                    It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Many times it's the 51 and over section that has the nicest horses. Older women aren't usually still in entry level jobs, saving for a house, etc. They often have more income to devote to horses. Only at AA shows around me does the 51+ section really fill. Anywhere else, "olders" are anyone 36+ and sometimes the entire adult amateur section runs together, all ages combined.

On the A circuit, pretty much everyone has a trainer. Not everyone is uber wealthy. But, let's face it, horses and showing at that level isn't cheap and there are certainly plenty adult ammies for whom money is not an issue. But there are also plenty with jobs who just make sacrifices elsewhere in life in order to show.

How you will do depends entirely on how well you ride and the quality of your horse. The horse will need to be fancy to win on the A circuit in the adult amateurs and you will need to find all 8 jumps smoothly with lead changes. The majority of riders lay down solid rounds with no major errors so it does usually come down to style and movement, not just who doesn't mess up. The division is pretty competitive and there are some really nice horses and riders in all age categories.

Hope this helps!

Comment

The over 50 group AA hunters is very competitive in my area! They are usually pretty damn good riders and most have very, very nice, fancy horses to compete on. Yes, everyone uses a trainer at A or AA shows. Another poster is correct when she says that sometimes, the whole adult division runs together, youngers and olders. It just depends on the number of entries in each division, if there are less than 6 entries in either division then it will all run combined.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all your replies. I live in Canada so this division does not even exist here. I would be able to travel to the States for a few shows a year (depending on the ability to get away from work of course). I would be showing on my own without a coach. I think I might just have to take a quick trip down one time and actually see the competition. You are right, this is not about the ribbons and I realize it will be expensive. I just did not want to be totally out of my league. Thanks

Comment

All the amateur divisions are divided by age, not ability. Go for it and have fun.
                            You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Comment

I showed there on and off for about 10 years. But I never saw the Adults split 3 ways anywhere except bigger USEF AA rated shows. The younger split -those skinny girls right out of college- is, believe it or not- usually the smallest hitting them smack in the middle of college, career and family changes plus losing parenetal support for alot of them.

The most competitive and largest group by far is that middle group..typically mid 30s to 45 or 50. Those riders are pretty much at their peak physically and financially.

The 51+ is smaller (when I showed we had an average of 20) but can be uber competitive with many big name former High Performance, A/O and Junior Hunters also aging and stepping down. Many of the riders are veterans of those same rings and a few are former Pros. I did well enough but usually was in the pastels behind the big guns.

But, Boy, those rare blues and tri colors are still in my display case in the dining room...they really meant something and still do. My favorite is when I beat the perpetual leading older Adult (no names but CC might ring a bell) on (one of) her Pro division HOTYs and a Conformation HOTY ridden by it's owner. I was also proud to have been beaten by Dialogue L after he came out of retirement ridden by his owner (who also owns elite level International horses).

The older group is over most of the show ring angst and are almost 100% supportive and friendly and not all about the ribbons (excpet for that 5 minutes at the in gate when we all still overthink EVERYTHING). Older Adults never look down at a rider with a mistake since there are few we have not already made...most more then once. Rails down, falls, stops, drive bys, spooks, off course, you name it. You'll be better next round.

Since recession, numbers have dropped from where they were when I showed (think I stopped in 2008), seem to be coming back now. But you still need a very solid score with no major errors to pin well at the majority of shows big enough to offer the 3 age splits.

Anyway...I would advise you to stay a little closer to home until you are laying down consistent, correct trips in whatever you can show in simply because of the crushing costs of USEF AA shows and the fact they are multi day and the older adults can run over 2 days anytime from Wed to Sat...only once in a great while would it be Sat and Sun.

With the across the border haul to....what?....Lake Placid? Maybe Buffalo has one big enough for the 3 splits? Washington State if you are out west? Trying to think of something accesible with a minimum of complication and a 15 hr or less drive. But you will be looking at stall, office charges, entries, non member fees, mandatory night watch, feed and bedding at double or triple the cost if you can't bring your own plus the possibilty of all sorts of add on fees. Last time I showed it was almost 500 just to take the horse off the trailer for a single division with 4 o/f and an under saddle. "Prize money" was laughable unless you were top 3 in all of them (there were, IIRC, 17 in the 51+). The Adult Classic paid better but cost a pretty penny to add on and, with the combined age groups? Over 40 in there with some pretty big guns.

Sooo, I am not saying no to you at all but...maybe spend that 1k-1500 or so it would cost for 1 show stateside on finding a coach to meet you at some shows and perfect that trip before taking the plunge? That would buy alot of coaching and you don't have to move to a big barn-and many trainers will work with you that way. Worst case they want to work with you in house a few times to get to know you and the horse.

It's a great dream and you CAN do it but making it an eventual goal with alot of preparation will work alot better and let you have a heck of alot more fun.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I see it as any other AA division. You may have a few "uber" rich riders and you'll also have non uber rich, who can ride well
                                Try it and see if you like it, the older adults sure know how to have fun at shows.

Comment

Cherham- maybe we need to beat the bushes for a few more in this age group and see if we can't get one going up here.

Comment

Working...
                                  X