• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talk to me about Fort Collins...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Fort Collins...

...and vicinity.

It became official today that we will be moving from Southern Colorado to Northern Colorado come summer. The Fort Collins area, to be specific. I've looked a little bit, but I regret not actually paying attention to the decent trainers/barns/programs outside of my immediate area. Dressage programs, too.

Thanks in advance!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I went to college at CSU back in 2004 & I only kept my horses up there about half of the year. The only trainer that I liked up that way for the hunter/jumpers was Mark Mead & he is out of Longmont.
    As far as barns there really wasn't much up there & I only hope that has changed. When I was up there I kept my horses at Poudre River Equestrian Center which was off the Ault exit (I don't even know if they are still around). I wasn't really impressed but I think the area is a lot better for Dressage from what I understand.
    Best of Luck!!!!

Comment

PREC is now Fort Collins Equestrian Center and is for sale again. It's been a long time since I toured the place, but I was never impressed with the quality of the hay when I did. It may have changed hands since I've been there last, though...it seems to every couple of years.

A good friend of mine had her horse at Savanna Ridge and was pretty happy there--with the facility and with the instruction. They are H/J oriented.

For dressage instruction, I'd recommend Wendy Lanham in Wellington, just a bit north of Fort Collins. Shoot me a PM if you would like her contact information. She also boards horses--has a very nice facility and is very conscientious about care.

Other barns to check out with mixed reviews are Four Winds, Stone Gate, and Mountain View...

There are also a variety of boarding barns minus an indoor arena, if you're looking for that.

I'd advise a little bit of caution re: Mark Mead. I saw some things in his barn that were a bit ... hair raising. I would not put a horse with him, personally. If you're interested in him, spend some time in his barn (as you would with anyone!)

Facilities in Fort Collins are surprisingly lacking considering the presence of the equine-oriented school. Expect to make compromises. Perhaps a lot of them. Same with farriers. We do have some very talented vets, although I wouldn't recommend CSU. Let me know if you'd like my list

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
        PREC is now Fort Collins Equestrian Center and is for sale again. It's been a long time since I toured the place, but I was never impressed with the quality of the hay when I did. It may have changed hands since I've been there last, though...it seems to every couple of years.

A good friend of mine had her horse at Savanna Ridge and was pretty happy there--with the facility and with the instruction. They are H/J oriented.

For dressage instruction, I'd recommend Wendy Lanham in Wellington, just a bit north of Fort Collins. Shoot me a PM if you would like her contact information. She also boards horses--has a very nice facility and is very conscientious about care.

Other barns to check out with mixed reviews are Four Winds, Stone Gate, and Mountain View...

There are also a variety of boarding barns minus an indoor arena, if you're looking for that.

I'd advise a little bit of caution re: Mark Mead. I saw some things in his barn that were a bit ... hair raising. I would not put a horse with him, personally. If you're interested in him, spend some time in his barn (as you would with anyone!)

Facilities in Fort Collins are surprisingly lacking considering the presence of the equine-oriented school. Expect to make compromises. Perhaps a lot of them. Same with farriers. We do have some very talented vets, although I wouldn't recommend CSU. Let me know if you'd like my list
        Stay away from Stonegate

Comment

I lived there for 6 years back in the late 70's early 80's. The best instructor in the area at that time (Ft. Collins itself) was Lindy Weatherford. She produced a bunch of medal winning students and took her mare, Pin-up Girl, quite far at that time..up to Prix St. George, I think. She was/is a very good instructor. I think she is still in the area, but I don't know her status these days.

Comment

I lease and ride in loveland at the lazy j bar s. They have multiple trainers at the facility including my trainer who does hunter jumper, a dressage trainer, a western dressage guy, a paint/qh guy who does it all, a saddleseat trainer etc....Its about a 30 minute drive but worth it for the facility.
            http://www.jbars.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, everyone!

I looked at Stonegate's website and there are two names there that I will run fast from. No wonder they have "mixed reviews," and a warning to stay away! Too bad as it looks like a decent facility.

Simkie, I'll get in touch with you by April (I know, a long way off, but I have my schooling, a house to list and keep show shape, and, most importantly, a young child to make sure stays same during this all. Especially since the husband will be in South Africa until mid-March).

My mare is retired, WAY too fat and happy with my in-laws in Texas, so I won't be moving any equine companions. Until a future date, I'll be looking for schoolies (to keep me going), then perhaps a lease. My son is very much on again-off again with riding. He doesn't like riding in winter because it interferes with hockey (and I think he doesn't want to admit he gets cold...comical considering he is a hockey player!), but I know he'll want lessons, too. So someone who appreciated kids would be nice.

Im not demanding, am I?

Seriously, I really do appreciate it! All of you!
              Last edited by Kenike; Jan. 25, 2013, 04:14 PM. Reason: A moment of grammatical stupidity
              "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by Kenike View Post
                Thank you, everyone!

I looked at Stonegate's website and there are two names there that I will run fast from. No wonder they have "mixed reviews," and a warning to stay away! Too bad as it looks like a decent facility.

Simkie, I'll get in touch with you by April (I know, a long way off, but I have my schooling, a house to list and keep show shape, and, most importantly, a young child to make sure stays same during this all. Especially since the husband will be in South Africa until mid-March).

My mare is retired, WAY too fat and happy with my in-laws in Texas, so I won't be moving any equine companions. Until a future date, I'll be looking for schoolies (to keep me going), then perhaps a lease. My son is very much on again-off again with riding. He doesn't like riding in winter because it interferes with hockey (and I think he doesn't want to admit he gets cold...comical considering he is a hockey player!), but I know he'll want lessons, too. So someone who appreciated kids would be nice.

Im not demanding, am I?

Seriously, I really do appreciate it! All of you!
                Stonegate is a nice facility. Too bad its owned by a wacky owner who creates chaos for everyone. Everything is honest but the deal

Comment

OMGosh I rode at Lazy J Bar S when I was a teenager! Fabulous facility, SO much to offer - admittedly their barn colors are rather ugly (yellow and brown - really??)

but the facility is very nice, they have something for everyone, and many trainers/instructors. I have nothing but wonderful memories of the place - except for one incident with one crazy horse that I absolutely was in love with, but that's another story for another time and has nothing to do with either the instructors or the facility itself.
                  Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

Originally posted by kmwines01 View Post
                    I lease and ride in loveland at the lazy j bar s. They have multiple trainers at the facility including my trainer who does hunter jumper, a dressage trainer, a western dressage guy, a paint/qh guy who does it all, a saddleseat trainer etc....Its about a 30 minute drive but worth it for the facility.
                    http://www.jbars.com

kmwines01 - are Kris Bayes and Jennifer still there? I can't remember Jennifer's last name, I'll have to check with my mom tomorrow to see if she remembers - it was about 10 or 12 years ago, but I would love to get in touch with both of them, they were both very instrumental in my horse career and the decision with which direction to take with my life!!

Comment

Yes, Kris is still there. I don't know too many of the other trainers very well as I'm not out there all that much right now with school. It's under new-ish management (within the last couple of years i believe). They've recently made some improvements to the footing in the outside ring and it's been really nice.

I love the heated barn and indoor! So nice to walk in from the frigid outside and ride in a long sleeve t-shirt! Everybody is very friendly out there and it usually isn't too crazy in the indoor, lol...

Comment

yea, the indoor was pretty fabulous. what do they have for footing in there now? when I was there, they had rubber/dirt mix, then went to mulch - the mulch wasn't much fun to ride on. :/

Jennifer Frisbee! I remembered her name!!!! She was a good friend of Kris' back in the day, maybe she'd be able to get in touch with her.

Comment

• Original Poster

I may have to check it out next time I'm up there!

Comment

Check out Tomora near Greeley. Not too far south from Ft. Collins

Comment

• Original Poster

I will! Thank you!

Comment

Not much for the Hunter/Jumper scene in the Fort. I trained with Mark Mead on and off when I lived in Fort Collins. Just depended if I wanted to drive 40-50 mins there just to see my horses. I loved him. Never saw anything sketchy go down while I was there. My horses were always very happy there.

I personally love Legacy Stables for keeping my horses. I actually have one there right now. The BO are amazing and take great care of the horses. Its not one of your fancy barns and no real h/j trainer, but I loved it! I trained out of there for a little while. My jumps are still there.

I did board with Wendy in Wellington for awhile and loved it! She is dressage and I tagged along when my friend moved there to get some training. The facilites are great and she was a great BO. My horses loved it there as well. I only left to go back to Mark's as I was graduating from college and wanted to do some showing.
                                I love cats, I love every single cat....
                                So anyway I am a cat lover
                                And I love to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven View Post
                                  I personally love Legacy Stables for keeping my horses. I actually have one there right now. The BO are amazing and take great care of the horses. Its not one of your fancy barns and no real h/j trainer, but I loved it! I trained out of there for a little while. My jumps are still there.
                                  Has this place changed hands in the last...oh, ten years or so? I think the website looks the same...

I had a terrifying conversation with the barn owner, several years ago now. She was very, very proud of the fact that she had her own vet come out to treat a boarders horse, without the boarders permission or knowledge, after the boarder had had her own vet out and considered the issue addressed. I was totally stunned. So totally not a place I would be comfortable keeping a horse...I would be way too afraid of what was happening behind my back.

mjhco, what's happening at Tomora these days?

Comment

Nope same owners. I love her. She is for the horse well being. And no nothing ever happened behind my back or any other boarders back, but I wouldn't doubt that she would of done that if she felt it was necessary. Its in the contract that if they can't reach you then they can spend x amount of money in an emergency. I sure it was a legitimate reason for doing so. I know there are stories out there, but seriously love the place and trust my horses care to them without a doubt.
                                    And I love to run.

Comment

Something certainly did happen behind a boarders back--the barn owner was very proud of it and was happy to tell me all about it when I came out to look at the place. She shouldered the payment, AFAIK, and never told the owner of the horse. It wasn't a "owner is unreachable and the horse is critical" issue. It was purely that she didn't think the owner's vet did a good job.

I was quite literally stunned that she would tell a prospective boarder that story, but it did make it quite clear that the barn was not a place for me

I'm glad you're happy there

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                        Something certainly did happen behind a boarders back--the barn owner was very proud of it and was happy to tell me all about it when I came out to look at the place. She shouldered the payment, AFAIK, and never told the owner of the horse. It wasn't a "owner is unreachable and the horse is critical" issue. It was purely that she didn't think the owner's vet did a good job.

I was quite literally stunned that she would tell a prospective boarder that story, but it did make it quite clear that the barn was not a place for me

I'm glad you're happy there
                                        Well at least she was upfront and honest about it to you. Yea, always had great experiences and spent lots of time out there and nothing like that went down when I was there. I can assure you of that.

But I love the BO, sure she is quirky, but I love her and her husband. They take great care of the horses and were like family to me when I still lived in CO. I know my mare is receiving great care there. I know its not for everyone, but there are things I dislike about most of the barns in the area and never found one that I liked better.

That being said I moved away from CO in 2008, so other barns in the area may of changed.
                                        And I love to run.

Comment

Working...
                                        X