• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Humble Initiative: Sham Attempt by USEF to a Meeting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RugBug View Post
    Um. I didn't say they were. Please read again. I will even sum up for those that missed it: Some do, some don't.
    I understood your post the first time.

My interest in figuring out if BNTs are at the forefront of drugging nevertheless as a compelling reason behind it. If the backyarder with the rank horse uses drugs, no one has to care. After all, who aspires to that lackluster performance? When a BNT does it to push an already superb horse into the stratosphere of the jumping Western Pleasure horse, a whole lot more of us have to meet that bar or lose.

So the "Don't tar all BNT's with the same brush because of course it varies among individuals" is a true and fair-minded statement. But it's not helpful.

ETA: And another thing!

If the (guilty) BNTs didn't have the best success at keeping clients in the dark about what their horses are getting... if the BNTs didn't enjoy such heavy representation in the USEF's committees and, frankly, it's collective eye.... they wouldn't leave the impression that there are two sets of rules--- one for the elite and one for everyone else.

IMO, the BNTs have something to do with the impression of the USEF being an old boys' club.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by RugBug View Post

I've read post after post after post of MIKES MCS that would lead ME to believe there is a large chip on his shoulder. Maybe there's not, but it's the impression he's left on me.
      I believe MIKES MCS is a woman. I think I was corrected about that a while back. MIKES will you tell us where you keep your 'nads once and for all?
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post
        I believe MIKES MCS is a woman. I think I was corrected about that a while back. MIKES will you tell us where you keep your 'nads once and for all?

Must've missed it. I don't spend nearly as much time on this board as I used to. It's not the group it once was. :shrug:
        Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
        Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

I understood your post the first time.

My interest in figuring out if BNTs are at the forefront of drugging nevertheless as a compelling reason behind it. If the backyarder with the rank horse uses drugs, no one has to care. After all, who aspires to that lackluster performance? When a BNT does it to push an already superb horse into the stratosphere of the jumping Western Pleasure horse, a whole lot more of us have to meet that bar or lose.

So the "Don't tar all BNT's with the same brush because of course it varies among individuals" is a true and fair-minded statement. But it's not helpful.
          Truth is ALWAYS helpful.

People who have to make overblown generalizations, exaggerate their statements and/or constantly use us/them arguments are never going to get the logical people on board with them. The second you go there, the "details" folks will say "LIAR" and stop listening.

But seriously...I think this thread is about EM. for a minute there I thought it was about hunter judging.
          Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
          Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

LOL , Yes I am an old woman.. the handle has to do with my business.. sorry for the confusion. To whom ever said I have a chip , I really don't.. I am not anti meds, .. I am a hobbyist now and only deal with baby or pre greens .. We often here comments like "that is the only excitement I will see for the day from the starters , when one of the babies plays in a corner in a 3'0" pre green " but I have seen to much to pretend drugs aren't the norm .. Our sport is no different then cycling. You want to play to win you use what ever it takes to keep you competitive. When you show 38 shows a year you need a lot of help keeping a horse sound and sane, They don't get turned out, they often travel a lot of miles in trailers , spend 20 hours a day in very small stalls.. get lunged in small circles sometimes an hour or more a day several days a week.. It really isn't like in the old days , horses did not show as much and while this was a prestigious sport it did not attract the show and go crowd it does today.. If you rode as a junior back then you pretty much only rode.. now Juniors are expected to participate in 16 other sports , Many Adults even if there well off have High stress Jobs and can only ride once or twice a week. The truly wealthy even though they could are not devoting their every waking hour to riding. This is reality and even the best of trainers can only do so much prepping so, much schooling, so much lunging, so much warm up classes sooner or later that amateur un-fit rider is going to get on that saint of a hunter and get bounced out of the tack if you can't guarantee a perfect trip , How do you do that with out trainers little helper and still keep a business going???
            BNT's attract Big Money Clients by producing winners and sometimes , often times that is just not possible by letting nature take it's course..
            It all trickles down which leaves a lot of unqualified "trainers" copying some of the methods they have heard about the BNT's using , whether or not they have a clue of what their doing or not. which often times produces tragic results.
            It's just very sad that this is happening in the pony ring all in the name of trying to make ponies safe for kids that probably shouldn't be competeing at levels they are put in.

Comment

• I am not a big time breeder and I have been lucky but the 4 times I bred horse or pony, I started with a good mind, athleticism, movement , etc. the 4 I got, after being in training with me and my child for one month, were going the same as they go now, 14-20 years later. All were quiet, auto, hack and o/f winners and totally idiot proof. They didn't need drugs then and outside of annual hock injections for the older ones, they don't need them now. Again, I was lucky. I had 2 amazing mares and bred them to 2 amazing stallions.
              Looks are important but maybe, rather than blame the judges and trainers, can't we, as a country, breed talented, athletic, sane horses? I know a lot of the big money goes on imports these days. I am just a glorified pony mom. If I can hit 4 for 4, those that breed hunters for a living should do a whole lot better.

Comment

• those three letters used to describe trainers mean next to nothing anymore. it is rather like the new clothing sizes.... 5/7/9 used to be small. now we have size 0, it is the SAME size that 5 used to be but people feel better about themselves to be a smaller size.

i always had several well qualified student to take to the finals. i never took them by myself not because i wasn't qualified but because of the clout. that is just a fact.

one of them jugged a lame horse with DMSO all night before the finals. that was it for me. the entire aisle stunk of it and there were horses strung up on jugs all through the barns. you are all kidding yourselves if you do not think this is an EPIDEMIC in the industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIKES MCS View Post
                  LOL , Yes I am an old woman.. the handle has to do with my business.. sorry for the confusion. To whom ever said I have a chip , I really don't.. I am not anti meds, .. I am a hobbyist now and only deal with baby or pre greens .. We often here comments like "that is the only excitement I will see for the day from the starters , when one of the babies plays in a corner in a 3'0" pre green " but I have seen to much to pretend drugs aren't the norm .. Our sport is no different then cycling. You want to play to win you use what ever it takes to keep you competitive. When you show 38 shows a year you need a lot of help keeping a horse sound and sane, They don't get turned out, they often travel a lot of miles in trailers , spend 20 hours a day in very small stalls.. get lunged in small circles sometimes an hour or more a day several days a week.. It really isn't like in the old days , horses did not show as much and while this was a prestigious sport it did not attract the show and go crowd it does today.. If you rode as a junior back then you pretty much only rode.. now Juniors are expected to participate in 16 other sports , Many Adults even if there well off have High stress Jobs and can only ride once or twice a week. The truly wealthy even though they could are not devoting their every waking hour to riding. This is reality and even the best of trainers can only do so much prepping so, much schooling, so much lunging, so much warm up classes sooner or later that amateur un-fit rider is going to get on that saint of a hunter and get bounced out of the tack if you can't guarantee a perfect trip , How do you do that with out trainers little helper and still keep a business going???
                  BNT's attract Big Money Clients by producing winners and sometimes , often times that is just not possible by letting nature take it's course..
                  It all trickles down which leaves a lot of unqualified "trainers" copying some of the methods they have heard about the BNT's using , whether or not they have a clue of what their doing or not. which often times produces tragic results.
                  It's just very sad that this is happening in the pony ring all in the name of trying to make ponies safe for kids that probably shouldn't be competeing at levels they are put in.
                  You got it, Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by fair judy View Post
                    those three letters used to describe trainers mean next to nothing anymore. it is rather like the new clothing sizes.... 5/7/9 used to be small. now we have size 0, it is the SAME size that 5 used to be but people feel better about themselves to be a smaller size.

i always had several well qualified student to take to the finals. i never took them by myself not because i wasn't qualified but because of the clout. that is just a fact.

one of them jugged a lame horse with DMSO all night before the finals. that was it for me. the entire aisle stunk of it and there were horses strung up on jugs all through the barns. you are all kidding yourselves if you do not think this is an EPIDEMIC in the industry.

Thank you Fair Judy, there are some Horrible things that are done to horses in the name of winning ,it's not just rampant in Hunter Jumper world either , there was always an element back in the old days but now it really is the norm.

Comment

• There is a great deal of truth in the tales of Mike & FairJudy, it is downright depressing at times. But there IS a solid contingent of good guys too, often drifting just below the "BNT" surface. You won't see their names in The Chronicle very often - and that is such a shame - but they are out there being the other 85% of the hard-working horse-showing public.

The vast majority of equitation riders in this country will never see the 2nd round of Medal Finals, and the majority will never see the inside of Harrisburg at all. This sport is a little hyper-focused on the top 2-3%, who just happen to be the same people over and over, and the extent that crew has gone to one-up each other is fairly epic. But there is a much larger segment of the industry that really doesn't get a lot of attention (you know, the other 30 people in the class at WEF that weren't 1st, 2nd or 3rd). There are A LOT of good eggs in this group, we just don't hear a whole lot about them, and they are far less pressured to go to extremes (I mean, if you know you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, is it really worth it to risk it?). So it does beg the question, is drugging more common at a certain level, or do we just hear about it because of the prestige of that level?
                      EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

• Dags I was one of those 85%. solid background in the days when those letters actually meant something.... rode with/worked for the cream of the crop. some drugged, some didn't. lets not forget the days when grooms used to put braiding rubber bands on the geldings to keep them from swinging in the breeze, and when a single syringe filled with ACE went down the aisle hitting everyone in the muscle.

Those days ended while i was lucky enough to be doing road work for melanie smith. while everyone else was scrambling to figure out how to keep their horses quiet, Melanie had the firm background of TRAINING under her belt. it was no secret back then that She was so strongly emergent precisely because of her ethics, not in spite of them.

Comment

• That's nice but there aren't many Melanie Smiths left in this circuit now for sure. Lots who give speeches about horsemanship and write articles about it and they abuse horses and cheat precisely because everyone thinks they are such good horsemen, and they know they can get away with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X