• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

KUDOS to Chris Kappler (COTH Op-Ed 21 Jan 2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would that mean we would get to do away with the $150-200 nominating fee per show also if there was no prize money in jr/ao classes?

Comment

Originally posted by Alternative1 View Post
      Would that mean we would get to do away with the $150-200 nominating fee per show also if there was no prize money in jr/ao classes?
      I think that would be a possibility. But again, he did propose the idea of capping money too, as an alternative to just getting rid of it entirely.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
      Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

What about...

Instead of capping or doing away with the money (which you know show organizers are not going to do) putting restrictions on who can be in the classics. Cap amount of money on horse rider combinations and Especially if your riding at the GP level, you can't step down to that level on the same horse. No horses capable and showing at 1.4m and above cross entered into 1.0m classics. And make the no cross entries viable for 30 days before and after the class. That way they are either ammies or not, none of this switch hitting and screwing up the classics for REAL ammies...
        Last edited by grandprixjump; Jan. 24, 2013, 09:30 AM.
        " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
        http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

As usual, I agree with supershorty. I'm looking at the prize $$ I'll be trying to win as a pro, and looking at the money I can win now in junior classes, and wondering why anyone would want to show as a pro.

I did just read something interesting on the eventing forum in a thread about shamateurs. The poster proposed that we just do away with ammy/pro status, and only have junior/not junior divisions. That would eliminate shamateurs, make prize money more fair... just something interesting to think about.
          Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerJumper View Post
            I did just read something interesting on the eventing forum in a thread about shamateurs. The poster proposed that we just do away with ammy/pro status, and only have junior/not junior divisions. That would eliminate shamateurs, make prize money more fair... just something interesting to think about.
            How would ammies competing against pros be more fair? That is fundamentally unfair. And I kind of don't get this whole attitude that pros deserve to be making extra money in the form of prizes...if you are a decent pro, you should be earning money just by showing, having clients, etc as that is your job, right? Ammies aren't making money just by being there, they are losing it. Seems crazy to take away what little chance they have of recouping some of that expense.

Comment

Originally posted by k_lee85 View Post
              How would ammies competing against pros be more fair? That is fundamentally unfair. And I kind of don't get this whole attitude that pros deserve to be making extra money in the form of prizes...if you are a decent pro, you should be earning money just by showing, having clients, etc as that is your job, right? Ammies aren't making money just by being there, they are losing it. Seems crazy to take away what little chance they have of recouping some of that expense.
              That wasn't the point, and I wasn't saying that was the way to fix it, it was just an idea. It'd be more fair in my mind because then all adults would be eligible to show in the same divisions.

It wouldn't be taking more money away from ammies and juniors if entry fees were reduced with the prize money, and it definitely wouldn't be taking more away if the ammy and pro divisions were combined.
              Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

With a competitive sport, it would seem highly logical to have money increase with increasing difficulty and at the same time, have MORE money in the open classes vs amateur. That would help to eliminate the shamateurs as right now there are way too many incentives to try to keep (even by cheating) your amateur status.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerJumper View Post
                  That wasn't the point, and I wasn't saying that was the way to fix it, it was just an idea. It'd be more fair in my mind because then all adults would be eligible to show in the same divisions.

It wouldn't be taking more money away from ammies and juniors if entry fees were reduced with the prize money, and it definitely wouldn't be taking more away if the ammy and pro divisions were combined.
                  That would completely eliminate any incentive at all for the vast majority of amateurs to show at all. I have a nice young horse who could likely be competitive in most company with a good pro, but I would have little chance of ever getting a ribbon if I had to show against those same pros. I have a 55-65 hour/week job, 2 kids, and a hubby - how (and why) on earth could/would I ever compete against someone who rides professionally? To take it another step further, my horse goes to shows with my pro to get ready for me to show her. Without any chance of ever really being successful, I sure wouldn't be spending the money for someone to be getting her ready via the pro divisions. IMO, a proposal like that completely drives the working amateur out of the sport.
                  "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Comment

The divistions could be set up similar to eventing - Open, Horse, Rider, and Junior divisions at each level.

Open - anybody can enter, no restrictions

Horse - Horse has not competed at a higher level in the past X years, no restriction on the rider.

Rider - Rider has not competed at a higher level in the past X years, no restriction on the horse.

Junior - Riders under 18

If enough people were interested there could also be a limit division - Horse AND Rider have not competed at a higher level in X years.

Easier to keep track of, no restrictions on how your paying for the horse and shows, just keep records on the levels the horses and riders have been competing at.

Christa

Comment

[QUOTE=GingerJumper;6798561]I'm looking at the prize $$ I'll be trying to win as a pro, and looking at the money I can win now in junior classes, and wondering why anyone would want to show as a pro.
                      QUOTE]

Not being snarky, but show as a pro to get one's name out,gain clients and getting paid for all that showing a clients horse entails, without footing the bill for the vast majority. Ammys pay their own way and for all their expenses. Just saying. No dog in this fight.
                      Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Just to clarify on the eventing point, eventing doesn't usually have amateur divisions (it is possible, introduced only a few years ago, but almost no shows offer that--they divide by experience instead). We only usually see it for year-end awards. So it would be less of a structural change to our show system to eliminate it than it would be to h/j.

Comment

Originally posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
                          I have a 55-65 hour/week job, 2 kids, and a hubby - how (and why) on earth could/would I ever compete against someone who rides professionally? To take it another step further, my horse goes to shows with my pro to get ready for me to show her. Without any chance of ever really being successful, I sure wouldn't be spending the money for someone to be getting her ready via the pro divisions. IMO, a proposal like that completely drives the working amateur out of the sport.
                          Thank you. I get the sense that some (many?) pros don't have the same job description in mind as the people who pay for their services. Most amateurs seem to think that the pros are working FOR THEM, where the pros see their job as finding people to pay for them to become an elite rider. Like it or not, horse shows are more of a business than a sport. The juniors/amateurs keep the whole thing afloat, and sorry, but most don't care about a given pro's self-serving desire to reach the highest levels in sport.

Comment

What needs to be noted is that the amateurs, juniors, parents of these jr/ams, etc. are in the majority of those paying to support this sport. We are the ones buying the horses, paying the entry fees, paying the trainers, etc.

If you take away our incentive to show, then you take away our incentive to buy horses, to take lessons, to train with the pros.

Like I said in a previous post, I agree that pros could stand to make more prize money in some classes (though they do have the huge derbies and jumper classes at HITS with great prize money), but these pros do get paid at the end of the day. Some of us work solely to pay our trainers and horse expenses. I certainly couldn't afford to compete at as many horse shows if the prize money wasn't so generous.

Comment

HITS had over 80 entries in a $10k child/adult classic last summer. Only 12 will get a piece of it, but at least they have a shot. If you take away that money, you will lose most of those entries. The trainers will lose because their clients won't go. Some very talented trainers don't even ride. I don't think they care about prize money for the open horses. They need their clients, and their clients want prize money. Very simple.

Find sponsors for more pro classes, but don't reduce, or limit what the bread and butter of this sport deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
                                That would completely eliminate any incentive at all for the vast majority of amateurs to show at all. I have a nice young horse who could likely be competitive in most company with a good pro, but I would have little chance of ever getting a ribbon if I had to show against those same pros. I have a 55-65 hour/week job, 2 kids, and a hubby - how (and why) on earth could/would I ever compete against someone who rides professionally? To take it another step further, my horse goes to shows with my pro to get ready for me to show her. Without any chance of ever really being successful, I sure wouldn't be spending the money for someone to be getting her ready via the pro divisions. IMO, a proposal like that completely drives the working amateur out of the sport.
                                The fact is that the massise bulk of ammys showing at A shows don't get any prize money. The prize money distributed to only a small percentage of ammys. In fact many of us would prefer a B or C level shows but our trainers do the A's and so we go and pay massive fees and ride against horses and riders we have no shot against, but our fees pay for those prizes. For most of us, we consider it a "winning" ride if we had our horse's best ever trip and were no place near a ribbon. If prize money were the draw, none of us would be there.
                                F O.B
                                Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                                Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Sorry, this eventer is still stuck back where YOU WIN MONEY AT SHOWS? Hahahahahhahahhahahaha. (Laughter of incredulity) I get....oh wait, nothing. I just love my sport and the journey. I often ride against pros, we never have amateur classes where I am and I hope they never do -- of course, our sport is much more objective than the hunters. So I lost to Michael Plumb, so what? He could have a bad day and I could beat him too, gives me incentive to keep working! But I guess I am not a ribbon chaser. You can still chase ammy points for end of year awards, but.....wait, you get money at a show???
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by Linny View Post
                                    The fact is that the massise bulk of ammys showing at A shows don't get any prize money. The prize money distributed to only a small percentage of ammys. In fact many of us would prefer a B or C level shows but our trainers do the A's and so we go and pay massive fees and ride against horses and riders we have no shot against, but our fees pay for those prizes. For most of us, we consider it a "winning" ride if we had our horse's best ever trip and were no place near a ribbon. If prize money were the draw, none of us would be there.
                                    I'm not saying that prize money is the draw - my post was in response to the person who mentioned the idea of only differentiating classes along Junior/Open lines and eliminating the Amateur divisions. Prize money is certainly not a huge draw for me (as a very mediocre A/A hunter rider), but the chance to be successful in my division and win some ribbons is. Throw me in with the pros, and I pretty much completely lose that chance, and thus, any incentive to show at all/send my horse to shows.

Comment

I typed out a long, detailed response that my computer ate. :SOB
                                      The summary:
                                      I don't care what prize money is, as long as I am rewarded, in proportion to my entry fee, for winning a class at every level. I hate that I subsidise the pro divisions when I work so damn hard, all day at work and all night until 11 at the barn just to get in my few shows/year. Then I go to a show, pay $150 to enter a stake class, WIN the class with 10 entries and win $75.
                                      I am ALL for lower prize money, more prize money, whatever, as long as first place is AT LEAST as much as I paid to enter the class.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                                        Sorry, this eventer is still stuck back where YOU WIN MONEY AT SHOWS? Hahahahahhahahhahahaha. (Laughter of incredulity) I get....oh wait, nothing. I just love my sport and the journey. I often ride against pros, we never have amateur classes where I am and I hope they never do -- of course, our sport is much more objective than the hunters. So I lost to Michael Plumb, so what? He could have a bad day and I could beat him too, gives me incentive to keep working! But I guess I am not a ribbon chaser. You can still chase ammy points for end of year awards, but.....wait, you get money at a show???
                                        You could argue that the comparative cost of events is significantly lower than the h/j shows. Often, the prize money in the A/A & A/O classes is just enough to cover entries and doesn't even begin to touch the massive trainer bills we pay in addition to entries. And that's only if you win.

Comment

Thank you. I get the sense that some (many?) pros don't have the same job description in mind as the people who pay for their services. Most amateurs seem to think that the pros are working FOR THEM, where the pros see their job as finding people to pay for them to become an elite rider. Like it or not, horse shows are more of a business than a sport. The juniors/amateurs keep the whole thing afloat, and sorry, but most don't care about a given pro's self-serving desire to reach the highest levels in sport.
                                          Exactly. I love my trainer - and if I won the lottery, I would gladly do more to support her career and ascension as a rider. Even in my relatively low station in life and moderate show budget, I love watching my horse show with a pro. It's immensely gratifying to see her do well. However, I watch & pay the bills & get so much satisfaction because I know it's all making my mare a better horse for me. Not because it's a good opportunity for the pro.

Comment

Working...
                                          X