Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doping Takes Center Stage At USEF Convention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MHM View Post
    I beg to differ.

I'm not funding or endorsing the activities of anyone but myself. There IS a drug-testing system in place, and the drug fee I pay at every USEF show DOES go towards funding that system.

Is the drug-testing system perfect? No. Does it need improvement? Yes.

Is that more likely to be influenced by USEF members who get involved? Or by non-members who pack up and go elsewhere?

We may have to agree to disagree on the answers to those last questions.

In the meantime, I will still enjoy the horses, within the rules and with or without ribbons.
    I have to agree with this. I will continue showing as I quite enjoy it. (Although you are more likely to find me in the jumper ring.) I will remain a USEF member, AND I will keep complaining, too!

Unfortunately, "voting with your feet" is not going to have any effect at all. Not unless there are about 20,000 people willing to do this all at once. (In which case, count me in). But until then, I would expect to be able to have more influence as a member than a non-member.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

Comment

• If you are unhappy showing and walk away you are doing management a big favor. There are always more warm bodies waiting for your stalls. Believe it or not.

Please tell me people don't show on IV antibiotics!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I WISH he had done something silly! Each rider said that he was perfect, just what she needed to get a confidence boost. "We'll be in touch" said each trainer. Then - nothing.

I started to imagine the conversations the riders and trainers had in the car on their way home. "Sure, he's what you think you need. Just wait till that tranq wears off!"

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
        I'd comment further, but mvp and Lucassb have pretty much said what I would.

And gumshoe--years ago, when I was a barn manager, a friend/boarder had a horse she was trying to sell as a small jr hunter.
        The buyers came 3 times to try him out.
        3rd time he dumped the kid after she caught him in the mouth over 3 fences in a row.
        My friend was cringing, thinking that was the end of that.
        Instead, the buyers were ecstatic--they said "well, he must not be drugged!"

Turns out they had been taken to the cleaners by former trainer who aced the kid's pony every time she rode it, and when they found out, they came very close to just quitting the sport.

Comment

Working...
        X