Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

3255 Davidsonville Rd  Barns

Sale Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doping Takes Center Stage At USEF Convention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doping Takes Center Stage At USEF Convention

    https://www.chronofhorse.com/article...sef-convention

    "But with the Times article, along with two ponies collapsing at USEF Pony Finals after injections and another horse dying on Dec. 1 after an injection at an Ohio show, the timeline for action has significantly speeded up. And Allen didn't spend long praising what had already been done."

  • #2
    I wish they would go farther than what the article mentions. I am not in the show world, so I'm sure others who are can come up with much better suggestions. But mandatory necropsies done by a USEF veterinarian would be good. I think automatic suspension of any trainer whose equine dies or collapses until it is proven that the trainer was innocent would be good (this would allow for the highly unlikely event where a horse had a health problem not due to drugs).

    I'd even go as far as having a microchip on the horses/ponies so identities could not be swapped.

    I wish they'd put some teeth into the rules, not have a voluntary quiz on the rule book, one of the proposals. Really? Humble died because the trainer was ignorant of the rule book?
    https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
    Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
    www.PeonyVodka.com

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      "While the committee members agreed in principle, they suggested a few exceptions such as IV antibiotics and dexamethasone. The final version of a rule-change proposal will most likely allow those drugs to be administered intravenously by a veterinarian less than 12 hours before a class, although there was a fair amount of discussion on how to prevent abuse of dexamethasone along the way.

      There is also a plan underway to make necropsies mandatory for all horses that die at USEF shows in competition or under suspicious circumstances."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
        I think automatic suspension of any trainer whose equine dies or collapses until it is proven that the trainer was innocent would be good
        That idea flies in the face of the very basic premise of "innocent until proven guilty." It also overlooks the fact that horses do die once in a while without any nefarious cause, whether they are at home or at a show.

        I think the idea of having the option of a necropsy has merit, although it does not need to be applied to a 30 year old walk-trot pony or the like.

        I would say this has to be one of the most glaringly obvious improvements. One wonders why this hasn't happened sooner:

        "Committee member Ned Bonnie championed another prong of the attack against over-medication and drugging. “We have for years said that it’s voluntary for a person to give information, and there’s no penalty for refusing to give information to the attorney for the USEF. That was made patently clear in the Devon case,” he said referring to the controversy over the death of the pony Humble at the Devon Horse Show (Pa.) after an injection.“We need to do something about that. I’ve drafted a change in the application for membership to USEF that would require a member of USEF to answer questions presented to them by attorney for USEF to produce the records of that exhibitor including vet bills, and details like that,” Bonnie continued."

        Comment


        • #5
          In light of the recent article this morning I am releasing the following documents:

          Letter to the Board of Directors dated January 10, 2013 with attachments:
          http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...Directors.html

          Letter to incoming president Ms. Tauber dated January 13, 2013 asking for a meeting that has been denied for 8 months:
          http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...a_Meeting.html

          While I agree that their are pressing drug issues that the USEF has blatantly failed to control in our industry and while I feel that some of the suggestions were a good starting point, the use of my name and my beloved ponies death in such discussions and the false statement that I did not cooperate fully with the USEF MUST be corrected as they are false and defamatory.

          What everyone does not know, is that I sent a letter to the New York Times Sports Department myself, well before Mr Bogdanich was involved but, of course, he failed to note this in his article, among other facts he was aware of. As it stands, the New York Times article, misreports what transpired and my attorneys warned Mr. Bogdanich against relying on unreliable sources for information.

          http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...er_to_NYT.html
          Elizabeth Mandarino
          www.amberhillponies.com
          cell 908.397.0977

          Comment


          • #6
            An online petition has been created at Change.org to demand the USEF remove the Temporary Suspension Rule GR609 which is in direct conflict to USOC NGB Rules and Regulations and the Ted Stevens Act.

            https://www.change.org/petitions/uni...are_after_sign

            Please support this cause and show the USEF that members demand CHANGE and our rights to Due Process.
            Elizabeth Mandarino
            www.amberhillponies.com
            cell 908.397.0977

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by amberhill View Post
              In light of the recent article this morning I am releasing the following documents:

              Letter to the Board of Directors dated January 10, 2013 with attachments:
              http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...Directors.html

              Letter to incoming president Ms. Tauber dated January 13, 2013 asking for a meeting that has been denied for 8 months:
              http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...a_Meeting.html

              While I agree that their are pressing drug issues that the USEF has blatantly failed to control in our industry and while I feel that some of the suggestions were a good starting point, the use of my name and my beloved ponies death in such discussions and the false statement that I did not cooperate fully with the USEF MUST be corrected as they are false and defamatory.

              What everyone does not know, is that I sent a letter to the New York Times Sports Department myself, well before Mr Bogdanich was involved but, of course, he failed to note this in his article, among other facts he was aware of. As it stands, the New York Times article, misreports what transpired and my attorneys warned Mr. Bogdanich against relying on unreliable sources for information.

              http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...er_to_NYT.html

              Just a thought - you may not want to keep bringing yourself into these issues.... I think it might be time to lay low for a bit.

              Comment


              • #8
                There is more than people think going on behind the scenes and they have a right to know the full story. Besides, that is not my style. Actually, I have been silent for way too long. Anyone who really knows me, knows I stand up and do not back down when I have been wronged.
                Elizabeth Mandarino
                www.amberhillponies.com
                cell 908.397.0977

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mmmmmhmmmm.
                  "Aye God, Woodrow..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gumshoe View Post
                    "While the committee members agreed in principle, they suggested a few exceptions such as IV antibiotics and dexamethasone. The final version of a rule-change proposal will most likely allow those drugs to be administered intravenously by a veterinarian less than 12 hours before a class, although there was a fair amount of discussion on how to prevent abuse of dexamethasone along the way.

                    There is also a plan underway to make necropsies mandatory for all horses that die at USEF shows in competition or under suspicious circumstances."
                    Yeah, and then let's have the result of the necropsy available to the USEF, please.

                    If the horse is insured and it drops dead, it's getting a necropsy anyway. The key is not doing the necropsy, it's making sure the results are available to the NGB. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on Youtube. In order to make sure the results are accessible to the USEF, would the USEF be responsible for the costs? Would the money come out of their existing funds or would it require additional fund-raising from the membership?

                    The final version of a rule-change proposal will most likely allow those drugs to be administered intravenously by a veterinarian less than 12 hours before a class, although there was a fair amount of discussion on how to prevent abuse of dexamethasone along the way.
                    Because a horse who required IV antibiotics or IV dex 12 hours before a class is totally fit to horse-show. Come on.
                    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A quiz over the rule book? Really?
                      These sort of trainers KNOW the rules, they just choose to ignore them.
                      Mendokuse

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by amberhill View Post
                        An online petition has been created at Change.org to demand the USEF remove the Temporary Suspension Rule GR609 which is in direct conflict to USOC NGB Rules and Regulations and the Ted Stevens Act.

                        https://www.change.org/petitions/uni...are_after_sign

                        Please support this cause and show the USEF that members demand CHANGE and our rights to Due Process.

                        Oh Sue Sue, I would love to sign your petition.......said no one ever.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
                          . I think automatic suspension of any trainer whose equine dies or collapses until it is proven that the trainer was innocent would be good (this would allow for the highly unlikely event where a horse had a health problem not due to drugs).
                          I don't think that horses dying of other causes is "highly unlikely" at all. The article refers to the " eventing crisis in 2008 when horses and riders were dying in unusually high numbers.". That was NOT drug related. And there have been plenty of heart aneurisms in other disciplines too.

                          I support mandatory necropsies. But you can't "assume someone guilty until proven innocent." Not in the US.
                          Janet

                          chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hunterrider23 View Post
                            A quiz over the rule book? Really?
                            These sort of trainers KNOW the rules, they just choose to ignore them.
                            “We just want them to go the rules, look at them and figure out how to access the rules,” said Allen.
                            I strongly doubt that the individuals in question are just so confused about how to access a rule book. For those who cannot read a book, there is a quick link to the D&M rules in USHJA's At The Gate app.
                            "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                              Yeah,... and then let's have the result of the necropsy available to the USEF, please.

                              In order to make sure the results are accessible to the USEF, would the USEF be responsible for the costs? Would the money come out of their existing funds or would it require additional fund-raising from the membership?
                              That is how it is done in Eventing. IIRC, USEA pays for the necrospy with money from the "Heert Study" funds.
                              Janet

                              chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Perfect Pony
                                This is such total and complete BS. A horse getting IV Antibiotics or DEX doesn't need to be at a horse show, let alone showing within 12 hours of the injection. Basically this statement proves they really don't give a crap.
                                Not so sure about that. I have had a horse that was diagnosed with Lyme, and was being treated with twice daily IV Tetracycline. But she had very few symptoms, and she was certainly healthy enough to compete at a Horse Show.
                                Janet

                                chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Mayaty02 View Post
                                  Just a thought - you may not want to keep bringing yourself into these issues.... I think it might be time to lay low for a bit.
                                  Foot. Gun. Aim. Fire. It's a lifestyle.
                                  Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    An online quiz? A helpful log book, that has no official merit?

                                    Are you kidding me?

                                    No mention of increasing penalties or giving the current rules some incisors?

                                    I can't even...

                                    Ugh.
                                    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      How about banning the use of needles and syringes by anyone other than a licensed Veterinarian as well? I believe they aren't allowed in other countries...
                                      co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                        I support mandatory necropsies. But you can't "assume someone guilty until proven innocent." Not in the US.
                                        This isn't a criminal case in the judicial system. This is about a voluntary membership organization's right to exclude individuals from membership. Different standards entirely.
                                        ~Veronica
                                        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X