• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Judge with chip on shoulder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skip's Rider View Post
    Others have covered show protocol for handling these situations. Aside from that, IMO, this was a teachable moment for your 4-year-old. We should not be creating an artificial world for our kids where everything is rosy. It's like everybody making the team because you don't want any kid to be disappointed. Judge (or steward?) lost his temper. Explain that to the child and say that maybe they were having a bad day. Then move on. If kids never learn to deal with this kind of small stuff, they will never learn to deal with the bigger stuff. They need to learn coping skills -- that's where good parenting or support from good trainers comes in. Of course we want to protect our kids, but we don't need to shelter them from EVERYTHING that's unpleasant.
    Thankyou Skip, you said it much better than i could have. To the OP, people yell in this world, and if she continues to show she will see a lot more. Time to teach the kid how to deal.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

Comment

Doesn't look like the OP knows where to go from here...

Comment

Originally posted by AllisonWunderlund View Post
        OP - I hate to burst your bubble, because it sounds like you're pretty new to all this. When you attend shows long enough, you WILL see:

Trainers going off on students
        Trainers going off on other trainers
        Owners going off on trainers and riders
        etc. etc. etc.

It's a high stress environment - especially at that level. If an ill-timed hissy fit is enough to trouble your daughter (and yes, I know she is 4) then maybe you're in the wrong sport.

Though I've seen some knock down drag outs at soccer games, basket ball tournaments, gymnastic events...have you seen Dance Moms??
        Allison ... you are so right! Nothing like sports and a ribbons to bring out the very worst in people. So, why do we do it? Because we learn to ignore and deal with the misbehavior, feel the adrenaline, and love our horses and sense of accomplishment.

Comment

Frankly, if the OP does not know the difference between a steward and a judge, and their respective roles, s/he probably should not be accosting anyone at a horse show.

Also, think of the example you are setting for your four year old child. Are you teaching your child by example to react with grace and resolve under adversity? Or are you teaching your child to moan and groan and complain when things don't fall perfectly into place?

Points to ponder before the next show.

Comment

First the judge had no business talking to the trainer in any way shape or form; if the judge had an issue w/ a trainer they should have discussed w/show management. Some local shows do not have a "steward" but might have someone acting in capacity of show manager/steward or it would show organizer(s). Secondly, just as judge was out of line to rant off on a trainer, OP shouldnt have said a word to trainer, but march right over to show office and complain. Thirdly - plenty of shows have a leadline, and then off lead line -generally you lose about 1/3+ of the class after leadline comes off and I've been at some small shows were they allowed attendants to walk/ jog beside the riders off the line - just in case...

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow...what an incredible thread this has turned out to be. Makes me sorry I posted it...Yes we are new to Hunting, and most of you seemingly have been around the block more than us. But a mistake on my part about titles of an official leads to things like liar and backtracking?? Really?? For those that feel that way, you are very jaded and you have my sympathies.

Comment

Yeah, but I think most people (as many people in this thread are demonstrating) see a problem in your daughter cross entering. I also think the parents of the kids who can't do w/t would think its a little unsportsmanlike also.

I also agree that talking to the judge was way out of line. You need to let your trainer deal with those types of situations as he/she should be aware of show decorum.

-Okay, my browser was being a little slow. Yeah, the I don't like that the steward went off on the trainer in front of everyone, but I would prefer to know the whole story behind why. If the trainer was doing something out of line, I would applaud the steward for giving it to him/her. Trainers can take things way to far without respect for the rules and good sportsmanship.

Comment

I believe that under any circumstances judges, or trainers or anyone should scream at the ingate in front of anyone. They usually would get fined for that. Although that doesn't correct the problem, it is your right to report him. Warning, you will be blacklisted by that judge and he will use it against you and will spread rumors about you with his judge buddies so this is why everyone advises to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sammicat View Post
                    Allison ... you are so right! Nothing like sports and a ribbons to bring out the very worst in people. So, why do we do it? Because we learn to ignore and deal with the misbehavior, feel the adrenaline, and love our horses and sense of accomplishment.
                    Thanks sammi - and you are right too. There is enough good that comes from doing the sport that it's worthwhile to ignore these uncomfortable situations. And I am not condoning this behavior at all. I do agree with the posters that it was an opportunity to teach the kid about the right and wrong ways to deal with situations. Sometimes we learn more by witnessing what NOT to do.

OP - I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are too new to this to have all the lingo down. Still does not excuse the action. You'll be much better off accepting that you cannot control other people's behavior. You can use these opportunities to raise your daughter to have better manners than others around her may show.
                    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
                    ~Lewis Carroll

Comment

If it was, in fact, the steward rather than the judge - why would you say you had never shown before this -steward- before?

That makes zero sense, even if you did mix up the roles of the two.

Comment

Thank you, gumshoe. That excuse doesn't hold much water.
                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Are you guys crazy? Do your call moan and complain because someone goes off like that? it is uncivilized behavior and should not be tolerated. And the OP has every right to question it. And she just wanted to know the reason for his behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by BWW View Post
                            Wow...what an incredible thread this has turned out to be. Makes me sorry I posted it...Yes we are new to HUNTING, and most of you seemingly have been around the block more than us. But a mistake on my part about titles of an official leads to things like liar and backtracking?? Really?? For those that feel that way, you are very jaded and you have my sympathies.
                            Many of us would be new to hunting too. I thought we were talking about horse shows, not fox hunts. My bad...
                            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

At any rate, now that we are past the animosity that my post generated (at least I hope we are - if all you have is a senseless dig, please be an adult and just post nothing), my post was intended to generate some discussion about posters experiences dealing with similar situations. Beyond what was already made clear by many of you (that you would never approach the official like I did), what I would be interested in hearing is your stories and how resolved. After all, I am sure we will encounter some of the same as time goes on. But please spare me the holier than thou stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by leyla25 View Post
                                Are you guys crazy? Do your call moan and complain because someone goes off like that? it is uncivilized behavior and should not be tolerated. And the OP has every right to question it. And she just wanted to know the reason for his behavior.
                                But at a horse show, it is not allowed to directly approach a judge. This protects the judge from angry exhibitors and can also protect an exhibitor from an angry judge who recently flew off the handle at somebody else. There are appropriate steps in place at a show with a leadline preceeding a Grand Prix-meaning it was a rated show.

Comment

Wow...what an incredible thread this has turned out to be. Makes me sorry I posted it...Yes we are new to Hunting, and most of you seemingly have been around the block more than us. But a mistake on my part about titles of an official leads to things like liar and backtracking?? Really?? For those that feel that way, you are very jaded and you have my sympathies.
                                  Sorry, meant to quote, not thumbs up...
                                  OK, then an honest mistake. But a good learning opportunity for everybody involved... You don't want to be THAT show mom (think Dance Moms). And many competitors take it very seriously. They know the rules and don't take kindly to poor sportsmanship. Trainers tend to be a little more understanding, because you're paying them. To avoid offending judges, stewards, and competitors next time, your trainer should be the one to address any issues. Otherwise, that rant may be directed at you or your daughter next time.
                                  And I do agree this was an opportunity to teach your daughter that she can handle the pressures of showing without Mommy coming to the rescue. Instead she probably thinks it's appropriate to complain.
                                  Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

...are you are trying listen to our advice now??? i don't know if you or the MOD took the comment off but i did see the comment you posted about us being off our meds. who is trying to be "holier than thou" with a comment like that?!?!?!

Comment

Absolutely. In private, in the office or to the steward, and not within earshot of DD.
                                      Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Yes and USEF will fine for inappropriate behavior regardless if it is an exhibitor,judge, steward or show manager.
                                        Just because it's a show official it doesn't make them exempt from rules or accepted behavior.

http://www.usef.org/documents/rules/...berRulings.pdf

Above is a link to a USEF hearing session.
                                        1) Show management was fined $750 for refusing entries.
                                        2) An exhibitor behaved badly towards a judge. Got a 3 month suspension and a large fine.
                                        3) a judge seems to have mouthed off at the parent of a Jr exhibitor. Judge was fined.

Yes, you need to speak with the steward for permission to chat with the judge. But if the steward is behaving badly see the show manager and file a complaint.
                                        And if more exhibitors would file protests against judges or stewards who think they can be rude as they please then perhaps everyone would behave a bit better.

Comment

At any rate, now that we are past the animosity that my post generated (at least I hope we are - if all you have is a senseless dig, please be an adult and just post nothing), my post was intended to generate some discussion about posters experiences dealing with similar situations. Beyond what was already made clear by many of you (that you would never approach the official like I did), what I would be interested in hearing is your stories and how resolved. After all, I am sure we will encounter some of the same as time goes on. But please spare me the holier than thou stuff...
                                          Simple, you go to the office and ask to speak to the steward(s). They can usually get you the correct information regarding any infractions

You can also fill out a show evaluation form available at no charge and, IIRC, on the USEF website. There is a place to address any complaints about judges.

Judge or not, I would not ever walk up to a total stanger who I had observed recently having a temper tantrum and suggest he correct his behavior-that is not a safe thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                                          X