• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Summer Camps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Camps

I’m looking for input on summer riding camps for my daughter. She’s 12, has been taking lessons at least weekly since she was 5 (and has been riding 3-5 times per week for the past two-plus years), and has been pretty successful in limited show experience. She has big dreams – would like to be selected for the EAP, ride in the Maclay Finals, ultimately be a professional rider or trainer, etc. My wife and I are not horse people (though I'm picking a lot up), but if we can find a way to support her pursuit of those things without having extra hundreds of thousands of dollars lying around, we want to do our best to do it.

I’ve done some searching online for summer camps that might benefit someone in her position, but most camps seemed geared to beginner riders and it’s hard to evaluate the others. (And I couldn't easily find another thread here addressing the question. My apologies if I missed it.) So I’m wondering whether there are camps that are designed for someone like her. (Location is probably not an issue.) Or would it be better to double or triple her lessons with her current trainer (who I think is outstanding)?

Bonnie Castle Riding Camp at Stoneleigh-Burnham School in Greenfield, MA. Great facilities, great horses, great director...

Comment

I'm not aware of any riding summer camps geared toward a rider who has big aspirations in the "A" show world, but I know Camp Tecumseh & Camp Kippewa have fun summer camps with competent equestrian programs. At both camps, the equestrian girls are together so she'd get to bunk and hang out with horsey friends all day and they still get to do lots of other regular camp activities (arts/crafts, lake, hikes, etc) in addition to spending a few hours each day with the horses.

I really think the best preparation for Maclay and EAP is being with a trainer who has experience and expertise in those programs and who can be flexible with a budget by allowing your daughter to be a working student or offering horses to shareboard or co-lease. But, two weeks away at a summer camp where she can ride horses and do other fun camp activities would be really fun for her. Even if the training isn't geared specifically toward her level and goals, you learn something from every horse you ride and every instructor.

Also, as the daughter of non-horsey parents who have been and continue to be supportive of my lifelong passion for riding, thank you for being so invested in your daughters goals!

Comment

They have a week-long camp I believe and they have two riding lessons a day. It's a good program with good staff and quality horses.
        http://www.williamwoods.edu/academic...ding/index.asp

Comment

A great camp I've been to : Sans souci riding center Click HERE

Really nice riding program! They will evaluate your daughter and put her in an appropriate group for her age and skills. If she is really good, she will do cross country and have extra riding time in the evening. The facility is SUPER nice and the horses are well trained. Check the pictures!

Location is probably not an issue
          I know it is is Québec but the year I was there, there was people from the US and one from Egypt!

She could also have the opportunity to learn french!!!
          ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
          I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
          HORSING mobile training app

Comment

www.bestcamp.org has a show team (though I'm pretty sure kids have to be at least 13 to join). I was a counselor there back when it was Allegheny Riding Camp. I know its changed hands since it became Grier Summer but I'd be happy to provide input if you like.

Less geared towards showing but with a fantastic riding program where you actually get to RIDE, not be lead around on a lead line is www.campstrawderman.com . Its basically your quintessential American summer camp experience but with extra emphasis on horses!

Avoid camp friendship. please please please. At least, unless it has changed ownership and drastically improved in the last 5 or so years, which I haven't heard it has. PM me for details on that too.

I know Foxcroft School is doing some kind of riding intensive camp since the camp I worked at stopped running when its founder/director retired, but I do not know anything else about it. I can highly recommend Foxcroft School though - goes without saying awesome facilities and fantastic horses. I used to babysit a girl who is (was? she may have graduated by now - terrifying! Means I must be old!) a student there and loves the riding program.

I can go on to recommend a few in the UK too - PM me for those or ask on here, I don't want to bore anyone.
            "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
            "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

I went to the International Riding Camp when I was younger, it was fun and they had pretty good horses and instructors, it ended up not being for me, but lots of other people LOVE it
              My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Comment

Second the vote for Stoneleigh-Burnham, I went for 2 years and loved it. Beautiful facilities and the chance for a variety of learning experiences. I also competed in the big eq, and while I wouldn't say I got there bc of SB, it certainly was a good experience for a relatively accomplished rider (please don't take it that I'm being pompous, simply that I wasn't riding in maiden/novice divisions). Plus it was a well-rounded camp experience.

Comment

Depend on what she's doing now, she may want to check out some of Auburns Summer Riding Clinics, though I'm pretty sure they're geared towards people looking to be on a NCAA equestrian team or doing Big Eq.
                  Or even better save your money and find her a trainer that will let her be a working student and has nice horses she can ride.
                  Mendokuse

Comment

Event4Life, your inbox is full so I can't message you, but I'd like to hear about Camp Friendship.

Comment

^Sorry...emptying now. Had no clue it was full!
                      "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                      "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Try Foxfield in CA. They have had some very well-known riders attend when they were your daughter's age.
                        Last edited by STA; Jan. 16, 2013, 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling
                        http://STA551.com
                        845-363-1875

Comment

Event4life, could also pm me your input on Allgeney Riding Camp? I have a friend whose daught went there and I am looking for camps.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for these terrific responses. Lots of good looking programs.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I'd welcome any more general input on how best to position my daughter to navigate the path to the top without access to the near-infinite resources that seem to be typical of those who train with a BNT/ride Big Eq (I hope I've got the lingo right). My daughter's very focused and motivated - she reads everything related to riding that she can get her hands on, and will watch video of (for example) a George Morris clinic or the Maclay over and over again. She's been like this long enough that I don't think it's going to go away. As I said, I'm not a horse person, and this world is quite a bit more opaque to me than that of your typical high school sports.

So, for example, I'd be interested in knowing more about working student gigs (is 12 too young for that?). Is it possible to get one with a trainer with whom one does not have a prior relationship? What other things, beyond simply focused hours in the saddle? How does one catch the right people's eyes?

Again, many thanks to all.

Comment

If her current trainer is suitable and willing to help her reach her goals, I would stick with them. She probably doesn't have the experience to convince another trainer to take such a risk with someone her age. Nothing against her, she sounds motivated and hard working.

Many schools have a PE waiver program, so instead of "wasting" an hour of school in PE class, she could get out from school an hour early and go to the barn. I didn't have any trouble getting approval from my high school, but other districts weren't as willing to approve an equestrian program. I don't know the details of getting such a program approved as my trainer had many other students from my district before me who used the waiver. But this could be a way for her to get some more time at the barn.

Have her ask her trainer if there is any thing she can do around the barn: set jumps, fill/scrub water buckets, sweep, clean tack, tack up training horses, help with lessons, set up at shows, first aid, pull manes...there's so much she should be competent in on the ground if she wants to go pro. Honestly, I'd rather have a trainer that was a good HORSEMAN first, riding skills come second because I can do the mounted work myself with assistance on the ground. Even if she does this work without getting extra rides, she'll learn so much and if she doesn't enjoy the work, maybe she'll learn going pro isn't what she wants to do.

You didn't mention if she has a horse of her own. If you could even half lease something, then she could have a consistent horse/pony to show. Concentrate on gaining experience on the local level; what she needs now is just time in the ring. If she can catch ride ponies that need to get in the ring before their owner shows it, this would be a good opportunity as well. Even if she can't take a horse, she should ask to assist the trainer over the weekend and wear riding clothes (polo tucked in with a belt and show appropriate helmet/boots) in case a catch ride opportunity presents itself.

And to stay on-topic, does anyone know anything about Camp Merrie-Woode in North Carolina? Feel free to PM me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, Toxicity. I appreciate the input. She does have her own horse, and the situation she's in is, I think, a very good one. I'm just trying to educate myself as much as I can, because we only get to do this once ...

Comment

HorseFather, no mention of where you're located, but Sans Souci looks awesome and seems to be just over the border from Plattsburgh, NY.

Foxfield in CA??? I met their drill team at Belmont Horse Fair a couple decades ago and all I can say is "WOW!" Close order drill on horses of all sizes, at a canter, over fences, no saddle, no bridle. JAWDROPPING!

Good luck!

Carol
                                  www.ayliprod.com
                                  Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Originally posted by HorseFather View Post
                                    I’m looking for input on summer riding camps for my daughter. She’s 12, has been taking lessons at least weekly since she was 5 (and has been riding 3-5 times per week for the past two-plus years), and has been pretty successful in limited show experience.
                                    And of course Camp Friendship in Palmyra, VA (between Richmond and Charlottesville, more or less).

The program director, Skye, is amazing. I don't know if she carried on with it (or can in this day and age with liability), but when her mom, Davera Ackenbom, was in charge, the equestrian campers would go to the VHSA Associate shows regularly. In fact, the session that was lucky enough to be around in July would go do the local day at the Keswick Horse Show. Again, this was moons ago, and don't know if Skye's taking a team on the road or not, but even if she's not, it's a Beautiful facility, great horses, and being on Skye's watch, your daughter would get an amazing, well-around education.

Comment

Working...
                                    X