• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Girth Suggestions? Girths always seem too tight on bottom and loose on sides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girth Suggestions? Girths always seem too tight on bottom and loose on sides

Has anyone ever had a horse on whom all girths seem too tight on the bottom (sternum area) and too loose on the sides?

My horse is like this, and it can cause him pain on the underside of his girth line (pectoral/sternum), especially if the girth ends up overtightened because it feels loose to the rider if the rider checks it while mounted. The worst for him seems to be those nylon/fleece girths and anything with double elastic. So far, he has done best in a super old shaped leather girth with elastic on one end and plain leather on the other, but that particular girth needs the elastic replaced and is generally kind of a junky girth.

Would an ergonomic girth be a good idea for him? I've really never had the problem with any other horse. Most recently, he developed two large (rock hard) hematomas from the girth on either side of the midline of his belly (leather with double elastic; never going to be used on him again). He's obviously having some time off now, but I'm trying to find the right girth for him. When I am riding him/tacking him up, I know the nuances about how tight his girth can and can't be, but when others ride him, I can see how it is easy to accidentally tighten too much because it really does feel loose when you reach down to check it while you are on the horse...even though it is like a vice on his sternum.

You could try the le Tixerant girth- the stretchy part is in the middle, so that it looks like a jumper's stud guard girth. I had a super-fussy guy who went well in that girth. It is expensive, but it is a nice piece of tack and it might do the trick!
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Comment

I use an ergonomic girths (shaped) on both of my horses. The saddle seems to stay more still and the balance is better. One horse/saddle combination is much improved usiing a "stud guard" girth that limits one "Fancy name" saddle's tendancy to pop around. The other saddle is wool flocked and is a beter fit.

I vastly prefer a double elastic girths. Girths are leather.

Comment

I would consider using a girth with a neoprene lining, elastic on both sides, and then as you are doing be very cautious about the tightness. I would also recommend stretching the horses front legs out after tightening the girth and before mounting to make sure that skin and subcutaneous tissue is laying flat and smooth under the girth. I think you are going to have some trial and error here.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, guys. I've already been doing trial and error for a long time it seems...

The thing is that I am not always the only one riding him, so I'm looking for a girth that won't lend itself to overtightening. Double elastic does NOT work for us for this reason. The horse goes much better in a girth that is elastic only on one side.

Unsurprisingly, this horse is thin skinned as well as sensitive in other ways. Neoprene girths that I have tried have rubbed him/caused weird flaking at the girth.

I do pull his legs out after he is girthed, but can't always guarantee that others will (although I will mention it). The problem is that he strenuously objects to having his legs pulled out from under the girth, so will sometimes try to bite, etc. I think he is just habitually sore, sore, sore in his pectoral/sternum region.

He is regularly adjusted by a vet/chiropractor. His sternum is sometimes "out" at adjustment. Two ribs on his left are often out as well. He is a TB with a "normal" (not shark fin) wither and normal shape by appearances other than this weird girth thing. I like the look of that Tixterant girth...

Comment

How about an old fashioned string girth, that has no elastic at all and is very soft against the skin? Some BNT's still use this and nothing else. Worth a try.

Comment

• Original Poster

I had wondered about that too...may be worth trying that inexpensive option first before going the pricey route!

Comment

I had a slab sided TB like this. For him, the key was not over tightening. He had a massive set of withers which kept side to side motion at a minimum, and I used a breast plate and an anti slip pad to keep the saddle from slipping back. From there, I kept the girth snug, but never super tight.

Never tried a string gith on him though, one of those may work!
                APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I have a girth I bought at Big Dees, (the have a website) it has memory foam like material underneath a breathable type neoprene on the underside, the foam is situated at the sternum and behind the elbows. It was worked wonders for me on the slab sided, and horses who seemed "girth sore" It has a very pretty outerside, and machine washes. It was under $50.

Looking on their website, this one fits the description: http://www.bigdweb.com/ENGLISH-GIRTH...uctinfo/41085/

But I feel like it is this one: http://www.bigdweb.com/ENGLISH-GIRTH...uctinfo/27384/

Comment

Not all elastics are made equal. You want a triple elastic girth, properly with elastics on both sides so that the pressure is equalized for the horse.

I've said it several times before but in my humble opinion these girths are the steals of the century:
                    http://worldequestrianbrands.shptron...g=4&pp=12&pg=4

Fabulous quality, excellent sheepskin, the wide O middle panel keeps it from slipping... and when it gets grimy toss it in the washing machine (cold water) and it comes out pretty and fluffy. The elastics are STURDY triple elastic - hard to overtighten unless you're made of steel. Made my girthy gelding a very happy boy - no more faces when I'm putting it on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys. I am basically going to work my way down the list, I think (hopefully will find something that works for him before I run out of money, lol).

Since he is not going to be wearing a girth for a while, I have some time to think about it. Poor guy has two matching swellings on the underneath of both sides of the center of his abdomen, right where the girth goes. They are hard as rocks and very sore.

I think I'm going to order a mohair string girth to try first (sometimes the simplest, cheapest options end up working best for this particular horse!). Any specific recommendations on mohair string girths?

I see Dover sells one made by Ovation. After a belt buckle breaking on an Ovation belt, I'm not sure how I feel about using one of their girths, but hopefully the buckles on the girths are a bit more rugged.

And advice on sizing of mohair girths? Would I just buy his normal size?

Comment

I have the Ovation one. It does stretch several inches, so I bought the same size I use in a single elastic.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                          I have the Ovation one. It does stretch several inches, so I bought the same size I use in a single elastic.
                          Thank you! Are you satisfied with it, overall?

Comment

Hmm, I was always taught to check the girth's tightness on the belly, not the sides. I found lots of QHs had the sort of shape that led to this issue, but if you checked the girth's tightness on the belly, your saddle was tight enough and didn't move, unless the horse was just kind of tough and mutton-withered but that fit issue was separate from the shape of their sides. I'm glad you are warning people, but just odd that so few know this fact... Or maybe I just got super lucky having trainers who pointed out this info? Weird. Good luck - I have definitely heard only good things about mohair girths, so would be great to hear back if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                              Thank you! Are you satisfied with it, overall?
                              Yes. I don't use it often, usually only because of cold weather (tack room is unheated and leather is wicked cold) I find it is a bit more slippery and normal tightness does not hold up to all of my horse's antics without allowing the saddle to slip. I do have to check it and tighten it from the saddle partway through the ride as it seems to continue to stretch.

As to the quality, I had not ever really examined the buckles. I've used it lightly for two years and have been happy with it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LilyandBaron View Post
                                Hmm, I was always taught to check the girth's tightness on the belly, not the sides. I found lots of QHs had the sort of shape that led to this issue, but if you checked the girth's tightness on the belly, your saddle was tight enough and didn't move, unless the horse was just kind of tough and mutton-withered but that fit issue was separate from the shape of their sides. I'm glad you are warning people, but just odd that so few know this fact... Or maybe I just got super lucky having trainers who pointed out this info? Weird. Good luck - I have definitely heard only good things about mohair girths, so would be great to hear back if it works!
                                I hear you. This is the proper way to check a girth. In an ideal world, it would be uniformly snug the whole way down, but we don't live in an ideal world and the horse is the shape he is. You would actually be surprised at how many people believe that it is impossible for a girth to be too tight - or that it is physically impossible for a person to tighten it enough to cause injury.

It's very frustrating that this happened, but I'm trying to just move forward with things. It is rare that he is tacked up or ridden by anyone other than me, so I think we will be able to prevent this from happening again. It would certainly be great if I can find a girth that isn't part of the problem, though!

I will report back on the mohair girth after I try it...which I am afraid might be quite a while from now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, Smart Alex!

Comment

I had a horse with a similar issue - what worked for him was the no elastic, 3 piece "braided" leather girth.

According to Google it's called a "Balding Girth."

No elastic to overtighten, but the design gives it more flexibility than just one piece of leather. If it rubs, slip a girth cover over it. These are the first two that came up for me but I'm sure there are more out there... I believe I picked mine up at a tack sale.

http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/bald...rth-p-370.html

http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/huntin...rth-p-320.html
                                    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Comment

I have one of these that I ride my fussy TB in and he and I both love it. I was skeptical at first but I got mine on eBay for $45 which is not a whole lot different than a fleece lined girth. I have the Bates version in both a stud girth and a regular one. You can find them for REALLY cheap on eBay. I got my regular Bates one for $75 and my stud girth for $80.
                                      "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                                      ~Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

If the same saddle is being used on this horse, and you're in a position to mandate this, then can you just indicate that the girth (you finally settle on) goes on X hole on the right side and X hole on the left?

I have a pony with the same shape. Already knew to check the bottom of the girth, so when the girth appeared gap-y on the sides, I could check there. The same saddle/girth is used on him for each ride, and his little rider knows to count the holes on the billets. We use a triple-elastic-on-both-ends, faux sheepskin/cloth girth.

Also, be very careful about pulling the forelegs forward. Muscles should be stretched when they are warm, and any 'pulling' can strain those pec muscles if done while the horse has just come out of the stall. Does sound like he is chronically sore in the sternum area ... that padded girth sounds like something worth trying?

Comment

Working...
                                        X