• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

George Morris- ridiculous critiques of horses' form in Practical Horseman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC when he was a kid, he had gotten a lease on a paint pony as a present for his birthday or Christmas or some occasion. The pony was at a horse show with someone else when he found out and that weekend the pony had a rotational fall and died.

Comment

I do enjoy this parody now,instead of the original. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~masupple/hillbilly/critique.html
      I love the Hillbilly Farms site.

As a re-rider I especially appreciate the "I-can't-believe-I-didn't-fall-off Photo Sequence"

I may get the tshirt "Winning the battle against perfection"

They have kids shirts "I am being raised in a barn"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
        I love the Hillbilly Farms site.

As a re-rider I especially appreciate the "I-can't-believe-I-didn't-fall-off Photo Sequence"

I may get the tshirt "Winning the battle against perfection"

They have kids shirts "I am being raised in a barn"
        Yes, "Winning the battle against perfection" is classic!

Comment

Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
          but he might get a comment on his "nice seat".
          Yes he might, from many people, including George.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtintheact View Post
            IIRC when he was a kid, he had gotten a lease on a paint pony as a present for his birthday or Christmas or some occasion. The pony was at a horse show with someone else when he found out and that weekend the pony had a rotational fall and died.
            I've heard him tell that story. I don't remember all the details, but I think he told it to explain why he's always had a soft spot for paints.

GM is not perfect. Nobody is. But he's probably forgotten more about this sport than most people will ever know.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderWriter View Post
              I am SOOOO glad you mentioned this, because it has been driving me crazy for AGES!! GM says this at least once virtually every month. Maybe I have not seen enough horse jumping in my life (probably a total of, I don't know, at least 2,000 hours) but I personally have never, not once, seen a horse hook a leg over a rail and fall. In fact, the only rotational falls I hear about are the ones on x-country, when I assume there is a much bigger problem than an uneven front end causing them. So why the heck is GM always threatening this dire consequence?? Especially when the horse in question is usually either a) stepping over a little fence, or b) somebody's not-six-figures-but-perfectly-useful hunter who *gasp* doesn't have knees like freakin' Rox Dene?

I've seen it personally. Mare was a really good jumper going over 18" crossrails, working on things like rollbacks and tight turns. She was being super lazy with her feet, caught a rail, went up and over. Luckily, the rider fell one way and the horse's hindquarters the other and no harm was done, but it could easily have been a very ugly situation.
              According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

Yea, judging one still photo isn't always the proper way, you can either have a killer shot, or a bad one. I have one on my fb I bought from a show, my horses head is straight up, eyes bugged out, mouth gaping. Truth is: our first year showing, first time doing flat classes, they had kept us in the ring for the second round and I had kept my ottb too close to other horses (oops!) I was soft on his mouth, loose rein and did a killer job keeping him contained and not killing one of the pony/kid combos in the ring with me. However, one could only decide other things from that one photo (I kept it as a laughing momento of a hard lesson learned.)

Btw, I read somewhere that he takes his boots home every night and cleans/polishes them. Who has time for that?!

Comment

Speaking as an individual who had a horse FLIP on them on the backside of an 18 inch fence, it is possible. Agree with the other individuals who have said, if you don't like to read his comments then just don't. I, for one, look forward to his columns and comments and then compare them with my own pictures.
                  Nothing is as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Sir Winston Churchill.

Comment

He makes time to clean his boots every night or gets The Most Interesting Man in the World to clean them for him while he drinks a Dos XX .

But, seriously? Have we gotten oh so very PC that we can't take an observation about the safety of a fence or an opinion that things are not as good as they could be? Do we no longer look past a half a bottle of Show Sheen to see the real condition of the coat? Do we excuse potentially dangerous bad form just because it's a novice rider (whose trainer should know better)? Or make excuses because the rider did not build that iffy fence so it's ok to take a chance?

You ask for an opinion from somebody who never thinks anything is perfect and rarely even good enough-including himself, send in an iffy picture, wait 2 years and you get... an opinion from a very critical and keen observer. You can whine it's not a warm fuzzy or you can LEARN all you can from what is said over, and over, and over over alot of years.

Worst fall I ever saw was a young horse over a low crossrail, stepped in the middle of the poles, got tangled with them and flipped when he got scared and tried to bolt. Rider went to the ER with a concussion and cracked rib, horse switched to Dressage after almost a year off with a suspensory and newly developed fear of anything on the ground in an arena.

Have to think about and learn from everything you see, hear or read regarding horses and riding-even if you don't agree with the way it's presented. And if you don't agree? Think out why you don't agree but take emotion or feeling sorry for the rider out of it. That rider asked for it, knew what they were asking for and was aware warm hugs for trying do not go with his opinions.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I had to go back and look at this month's issue to see the picture in question. And while this pony may be fine, I do have to say I agree with GM's assessment. The fence is small, but probably more like two feet than eighteen inches. But yes, it is possible to flip over an 18 inch fence. We had a horse that simply would not pick her knees up, and she did a rotational fall over an 18 inch fence. We never jumped her again, because her style was such she would do it again.

Comment

I've seen a rotational in showjumping, terrifying thing to watch. It was over a larger jump though 3'3 maybe.

Comment

GM has spent 50 years being direct at best, blunt, rude and impatient at worst...and you don't realize he was right until you cool off and think about what was said.

Very rarely is he wrong when identifying problems or things that need improvement. That annoys alot of people. Others just have to find fault with everybody else so pick at his delivery or ignore the fact he was right because he was "mean".

Comment

When I was a kid, my pony -- who was always loose with his knees -- jumped a poorly-constructed 2' oxer, caught his leg in it and flipped. It was very scary but we were both ok. We were at a show so the jump had been put together by someone else, someone I wish had read GM's column! I pretty much stopped jumping the pony after that.
                            Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
                            Home of EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
                            'Like' us on Facebook

Comment

No question that a horse can endeavor to fall catastrophically over the smallest of obstacles , but I have to agree that my eye rolling muscles get a workout when a single image is used to dismiss a horse as dangerous. Looking at the photos from my last competition this year, I could send this one for critique and maybe get some favorable remarks:

XCTRY

But then I look at the one of Horse practically falling over the last jump of our stadium round, which would tempt any sensible person to dismiss Horse as a lost cause.

Comment

It's not THAT bad but you probably don't think it's the best representation of you and your horse to send in for public critique in a national publication.

Comment

I don't always agree with him, but I did think that the Appy in this month's issue was potentially dangerous. And I admit I'm an eventer but I do think it's a bit ridiculous that hunter fences seem to be overwhelmingly oxers, or verticals with boxes in front of them. Why not have some more upright fences to encourage the horse to use itself more? You see them in derbies and eq classes.

Comment

Originally posted by x View Post
                                    I had to go back and look at this month's issue to see the picture in question. And while this pony may be fine, I do have to say I agree with GM's assessment. The fence is small, but probably more like two feet than eighteen inches. But yes, it is possible to flip over an 18 inch fence. We had a horse that simply would not pick her knees up, and she did a rotational fall over an 18 inch fence. We never jumped her again, because her style was such she would do it again.
                                    I was at a show earlier this year where a pony knocked an entire fence over, including the standards when it caught the top rail. The jump wasn't even that big either. Probably less than 2'. I think after the rail came down, pony spooked and then knocked over everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Highflyer View Post
                                      I don't always agree with him, but I did think that the Appy in this month's issue was potentially dangerous. And I admit I'm an eventer but I do think it's a bit ridiculous that hunter fences seem to be overwhelmingly oxers, or verticals with boxes in front of them. Why not have some more upright fences to encourage the horse to use itself more? You see them in derbies and eq classes.
                                      This is one of GM's pet peeves, too. Hunters today never jump a true vertical in the ring. Never. And that would really separate the truly good jumpers from the manufactured one. But they just don't do it.
                                      Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                        I do enjoy this parody now,instead of the original. http://www4.ncsu.edu/~masupple/hillbilly/critique.html
                                        Skydy, a hearty THANK YOU! I am sick and feeling sorry for myself, but after going to your link and laughing a lot, I feel much better!

Comment

People are not forced to send these pictures in and people must really want his opinion or they would not do it. Judge My Ride also gets some really interesting pictures and videos too. Some people have no clue what is a good jump, good position, proper attire and/or turnout of the horse. Those who send their pictures in obviously want George's opinion. If you don't like what he says, don't read his column.

Comment

Working...
                                          X