• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New York Times article - USEF and Humble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juststartingout View Post
    Not to change the subject -- but wouldn't it be wonderful for riders AND trainers to get valuable feedback and learning. Having been a scribe for a dressage judge - its not that hard and the riders and trainers truly appreciate the value of the comments.
    Yes, it would be! For how much people pay to go to shows, it would be well worth it to get a score sheet. Then you would know why you didn't do well or why you did and then work on things you need to do. Plain and simple. Then you have something to work towards. No confusion or wondering about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by juststartingout View Post
      All good ideas -- BUT - and I raised this before - what difference does testing make if the substances that are being used by many are not testable OR are allowed for purposes other than calming. We ARE TRULY KIDDING ourselves if e think that testing is the SOLE solution as opposed to changing judging, incentives etc. And -- I am not sure why no one commenting here has addressed this issue.

For example -- dex is used to calm horses -- everyone knows - so why not regulate dex. Its impractical to require that vets administer every shot but much less impractical to require that substances such as dex and magnesium and the like be administered only by vets
      Exactly! The dead pony was "tested" (post mortem). Nothing illegal there!

Comment

• Since magnesium is a naturally occurring nutrient, it would be hard to quantify, after the fact, that it was a cause of death...hey, your heart works on electricity (electrolytes) and when you "short it out" (with a mega dose of mag) they drop like a rock. Who is kidding whom here?
        The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

• Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
          Well, yeah, but let's take an informal poll here: hands up, how many of you have ever actually SEEN a USEF drug tester alive and in person, let alone had a horse tested? How many have had a horse tested more than once?

I have only ever SEEN a USEF drug tester ONE time at ONE show. I'm 54, been riding/showing since age 6. (And remember, I'm multi-disciplinary, so I "get around" a LOT: breed shows, carriage driving shows, etc. as well as H/J.) So if you do the math, that's pretty close to 50 YEARS of USEF shows at which I never saw a tester and could, if so inclined, have cranked whatever I wanted into horsie.

With the multi-day shows, if the USEF testers are on the show grounds on Day 1 you can bet the word gets out within a couple of hours, and those testers are going to be VERY hard pressed to find a positive for the remaining 10 days of the show.

I'm in agreement that the fines and suspensions should HURT (and that the entry blank loophole needs to somehow get closed, stat). I also wonder about making the *shows* pay to have USEF drug testers on the grounds at all times. If USEF passed that AND simultaneously passed a rule that required all USEF show managers to freeze their fees (ALL fees not just drug testing) for a period of x years, and just made the presence of USEF drug testers part of the show manager's cost of doing business I wonder if that would help?
          Ok, I have been showing for the last seven years and have been drug tested twice, and I have seen the drug testers at many, many shows, they are kinda obvious. They are dressed in casual clothes and are carrying a over the shoulder black bag and clip boards and are two people together. They are usually walking back and forth from the ring to the barns.
          http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
            WHO gives the shot is less germane than WHY the medication was given...
            Agreed - but regulating who gives the shot and tracking the explanations that are filed goes a long way toward making sure that the rationales are legitimate

Comment

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
              Exactly! The dead pony was "tested" (post mortem). Nothing illegal there!
              How do you know? Did the vet release the full report directly to you?

Comment

• As I mentioned in my post on page 2 of this thread, it appears that, because of lack of protocol, neither the USEF nor the Devon Horse Show sought to recover the syringe (or its contents) . Even without accusations of Magnesium (which is known by most to be a pervasive issue), the picture that the "pony mom" took with her cell phone of the meds list (reported in The NYT story) is harrowing and appalling. The poor pony was a pin cushion! It is certainly possible that the person who administered/supervised the fatal injection to poor Humble nicked an artery--amazing that she hasn't done this more often given the over-the-top meds and her direct administration/supervision of them. In any scenario, the pony, or the hunter, or the eq horse, or the rider, is the victim. Is this a business? Most definitely. A sport? Not so much. Therein lies the rub!

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amber...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

• Originally posted by Molly99 View Post
                    I am all for making change, but we need to be realistic with regard to our national level shows. One of the reasons our drug rules are different from other countries is that we have acknowledged the benefits of certain drugs. Many of those other drugs are banned in other countries.
                    As someone who primarily competes in lower level eventing at this point in time, I can honestly say that I am fairly ignorant to the specifics of the drug rules, because I have no real reason to learn them inside and out ... My horses show on hay, grain, and water. I also don't know specifically which drugs are and aren't allowed in other countries.

However, I have to wonder ... Are the "benefits" of our more liberal drug policies a temporary improvement in performance, or an increase in long term health and soundness of the horse? Do horses in the USA have longer competitive careers becauses of better living through chemistry?

With a few exceptions, it seems to me that the majority of drugs given to competition horses are intended to (and may be be effective to) enhance the horses performance at the present time ... Many have long term detrimental effects on soundness, NOT benefits. I believe that any horse competing, especially at the upper levels of its discipline, should be able to do its job without drugs.

Comment

• Hmmm ... Delusional much?

Comment

• Originally posted by MHM View Post
                        How do you know? Did the vet release the full report directly to you?
                        Of course not. I'll look for the quote (I believe from USEF,or perhaps the vet) when I have a lot of time to go through the previous threads, though some were poofed due to ongoing lawsuit. Really, not something I would pull out of my backside..

ETA Not USEF. There was a report noting the veteranary opinion at the necropsy that the pony died from complications of a lung disorder that may have been worsened by the "joint" medication. Perhaps I understood that to be the full report when it may have been the "partial" report allowed to be given to USEF.
                        I am surprised that any vet would want any part of releasing "partial" information, however, perhaps that was up to Ms. Mandarino.
                        Last edited by skydy; Dec. 28, 2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Is dex legal to use at a show in USA?

Comment

• How about with the random drug testing, we test every horse that places in the top three in the class. Since everybody is paying the drug fee, how about we put it to good use?

I do agree that a horse who tests positive, the horse and trainer should be banned for the year from showing. If they are caught again, they are banned for life.

Also the idea that each horse has ONE USEF number that cannot be transefered is awesome! This keeps said banned horse from changing names/numbers and competes at the USEF shows.
                            "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Comment

• The rub is, that magnesium does not test..

Comment

• Originally posted by cdnsp0rthorse View Post
                                Is dex legal to use at a show in USA?
                                Yes, within certain limits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post

Re: IV injections from vets only: HELL NO. Imagine the strain that would put on vets time-wise. What about the sick/colicky horse who needs an IV shot 10 minutes ago and now has to wait for the vet rather than be administered said shot from a fully capable trainer?
                                  But then cant you go back to the argument that horses should not be drugged within 12 hours of showing? If my horse is showing signs of colic to the point that I feel he cannot wait for a vet to do and IV injection, then I sure as heck not going to show him the next day. Yeah, I will give him what he needs, but then, as a responsible owner, I would scratch from any upcoming classes for probably the next 2-3 days.

So a rule could be made that any injection within a 12 hour period of showing needs to be administered by a vet, which is "easily" verified by drug testing. That would prevent mega-dosing the day of, but not restrict owners about giving potentially life saving IVs.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
                                    I am surprised that any vet would want any part of releasing "partial" information, however, perhaps that was up to Ms. Mandarino.
                                    Ding, ding, ding.

Generally speaking, the client who pays for vet work is the person who gets the full report. The vet does not release it to anyone else without the client's permission.

Comment

• What does E.M. think she has to gain by continuing to spew all this venom all over the place? Wouldn't she be better off by at least trying to keep her mouth shut.

I feel very bad for her daughter who has to be subjected to this at an age when there is probably very little she can do about it.

Comment

Ding, ding, ding.

Generally speaking, the client who pays for vet work is the person who gets the full report. The vet does not release it to anyone else without the client's permission.
                                        Yes... But as a condition to being allowed to show, USEF could require that owners and trainers agree to provide permission in the case of drug testing or USEF inquiries. In other words, if you want to show, these are the conditions.... Not at all difficult to draft...

Comment

Ding, ding, ding.

I really question that the USEF was so hamstrung by it's own regulations that it could not suspend a person who,after admittingly killing a pony at a show, at the end of a needle,would refuse to be forthright with the necropsy results.
                                          Is it a case of USEF not wanting to bother? It looks it..

Comment

Working...
                                          X