• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New York Times article - USEF and Humble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amberhill View Post
    The Facts About USEF Protests & What USEF Members Should Know about the Ted Stevens Act and the USOC Rules and Regs for NGB's and the USOC's Due Process Checklist.

http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...ould_Know.html

The USOC is already involved in mediating a resolution between the USEF and AHF. The USOC was responsible for the USEF releases the transcripts that were fully paid for and being held against USEF Rules and Regs and responsible for the release of the rulings.
    If you really just. can't. help. yourself from posting online, PLEASE, for your own sake (and for the sake of the members of this BB) save your incoherent babbling for a different forum or for your facebook page.

Honestly,do you really think that we all just fell off the turnip truck?
    You should know better by now, you have been posting here , trying to defend yourself against the indefensible for a very long time now.

I am stunned that your attorneys allow you to continue to do this. Of course, for all I know they are banging their heads against the wall over your behavior and their inability to keep you from digging yourself into a huge hole.

At least they are earning their fees. You certainly are making their job very difficult, while doing youself no good whatsoever.

Comment

• No she definetly isn't but at least when you search her name now you definitely know to run in the other direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
        I like the above idea, but for a big show - and say, one that is longer then a day - how would one actually put it into practice? Besides the expense and man power it would take, when would you do the actual tests? After every class? When the horse gets registered? For a show lasting several weeks, how would go about testing then?

Personally, I think tests should be random, plus any suspicious looking gorses, along with the winners. I also think the show world needs to adopt the same practice as racetracks - shots are only to be given by a vet.
        I don´t think you need to invent the wheel again. Just follow the FEI protocol, I believe there is both random and "placement" testprotocols. Friend of mine whom I groomed for on an FEI event got random tested. They asked for sample after the ride when she came out of the arena and the testguys followed all the way to the stables and did their thing there. Don´t know if that´s the normal way to do it but at least an example.

Comment

• The USEF is the emperor with no clothes.

Elizabeth Mandarino is not wearing pants, because her trousers ignite as quickly as she can put them on.

These two entities deserve each other.

But the USEF membership deserves a better USEF. We need to protect our children and our equines from the metaphorically pantsless.

Entire thing is sig-line-worthy.
          You jump in the saddle,
          Hold onto the bridle!
          Jump in the line!
          ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by LucyShow View Post
            I don´t think you need to invent the wheel again. Just follow the FEI protocol, I believe there is both random and "placement" testprotocols. Friend of mine whom I groomed for on an FEI event got random tested. They asked for sample after the ride when she came out of the arena and the testguys followed all the way to the stables and did their thing there. Don´t know if that´s the normal way to do it but at least an example.
            That is exactly what they-USEF- do now. They get the winner and one at random as they exit the ring and sometimes will get you after your final jumping round as you exit the ring.

The issue is that if you are not in the ring, out of sight, out of mind. As in when they see the lab folk, some just last minute scratch and keep them in the barn. Far as I have seen, they have never random tested those last minute scratches...even ones that win over fences and fail to show up for the hack when those lab coats appear at the out gate even tho it cost them Champion. jeeesh, I remember one time there were 18 in my class, the coats showed up and 10 actually showed that particular jumping round-I did get a better ribbon then usual, and got tested.

There is also absolutely no procedure for handling a dead or collapsed for no apparent reason horse. We pay for a show vet, they should have to make an appearance ASAP, file a report and pull blood-that is not a huge financial burden on anybody. Also, if it is routinely required it does not single anybody out or assume any guilt-we know horses do die or collapse at shows with no nefarious intent.

I don't even know if there are any statistics on how many horses do die or publically collapse for no apparent reason at USEF regulated shows. I don't even know if you or a steward observing one collapse have to report it.

Any stewards on here know????

I keep adding the collapse thing because recently? Seem to be hearing of it in the schooling ring more often then before. Are there even any reporting requirements???
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Perhaps it's just my PSU alum bias coming through, but all I could think about last night were how different governing organizations treat things. NCAA can't WAIT to slap penalties on programs, appropriateness/legality/proportionality be damned. USEF will seemingly do anything it can NOT to catch violators and have to enforce its own penalties. There is something seriously broken with this system.
              ~Veronica
              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• of course there are others who are using the same cocktails of medications. the fact is that, while some actually have an idea of what they might be doing, EM has NO CLUE. she is the worst case scenario, as evidenced by her vague "all the top trainers do this" comments repeatedly used to give her own ignorant practices credence. what does she do? go through the trash at top show barns and just randomly use every vial found?

abuse of any medication is bad enough. this is so random it is truly egregious. on their own many of these meds have merit under circumstances recommended.......

Comment

• Originally posted by findeight View Post
                  That is exactly what they-USEF- do now. They get the winner and one at random as they exit the ring and sometimes will get you after your final jumping round as you exit the ring.

The issue is that if you are not in the ring, out of sight, out of mind. As in when they see the lab folk, some just last minute scratch and keep them in the barn. Far as I have seen, they have never random tested those last minute scratches...even ones that win over fences and fail to show up for the hack when those lab coats appear at the out gate even tho it cost them Champion. jeeesh, I remember one time there were 18 in my class, the coats showed up and 10 actually showed that particular jumping round-I did get a better ribbon then usual, and got tested.

There is also absolutely no procedure for handling a dead or collapsed for no apparent reason horse. We pay for a show vet, they should have to make an appearance ASAP, file a report and pull blood-that is not a huge financial burden on anybody. Also, if it is routinely required it does not single anybody out or assume any guilt-we know horses do die or collapse at shows with no nefarious intent.

I don't even know if there are any statistics on how many horses do die or publically collapse for no apparent reason at USEF regulated shows. I don't even know if you or a steward observing one collapse have to report it.

Any stewards on here know????

I keep adding the collapse thing because recently? Seem to be hearing of it in the schooling ring more often then before. Are there even any reporting requirements???
                  In all my years of showing, I have NEVER seen the testers show up in "lab coats." They are dressed like anyone else who is not riding, appropriate to to the weather. Usually you have to look hard to see the "cup on a stick" that they carry. They are NOT easily identifiable.
                  Laurie

Comment

• I was going to say the same thing! The cup-on-a-stick is usually behind their backs, too. Lab coats? Seriously?

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                    In all my years of showing, I have NEVER seen the testers show up in "lab coats." They are dressed like anyone else who is not riding, appropriate to to the weather. Usually you have to look hard to see the "cup on a stick" that they carry. They are NOT easily identifiable.

Comment

• I didn't think that was meant literally. findeight wrote, "As in when they see the lab folk, some just last minute scratch and keep them in the barn." I figured that a lot of trainers definitely keep an eye out for them and when the "lab folk" show up word gets around to the needle wielders that they're there.

Comment

• It was figuratively speaking although I have seen the actual coats. Twice in 20 years. Have seen several with airport type IDS hanging around their necks too...how subtle.

But they are as obvious as if everyone of them was in a white coat and word flies around the barn the second they arrive on the property (sometimes before if it gets leaked). Nothing is going into the ring to be judged and risk being pulled if there are...issues. But getting them as they exit the ring with their number is, really, the only way to verify identity of horse and responsible trainer. Thats what makes really random testing difficult with 1500 to 2500 horses on the grounds +haul ins.

Comment

• Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                          Perhaps it's just my PSU alum bias coming through, but all I could think about last night were how different governing organizations treat things. NCAA can't WAIT to slap penalties on programs, appropriateness/legality/proportionality be damned. USEF will seemingly do anything it can NOT to catch violators and have to enforce its own penalties. There is something seriously broken with this system.
                          Interesting observation. On the flip-side, I went to SMU (the only NCAA football program to every receive the death penalty) and I feel slighted that PSU didn't receive the same punishment for a far more egregious offense. That must be how a trainer who gets set down for a legitimate medication mix-up must feel watching EM continue to go to shows with meds lists miles long.

Comment

• Originally posted by lrp1106 View Post
                            My favorite part of Amber Hill's ENTIRE website, under the For Sale page (and I really hope I'm not misinterpreting this in some way):

"Where's Waldo"'s height: 12.1 1/16

ONE. SIXTEENTH.

Can we please round at that point, Ms. Mandarino? Oh, I'm sorry, when asked my height I always say that I'm five foot, four inches, seven centimeters, and five millimeters, and six hundred twenty micrometers.

One-sixteenth.
                            Ponies are typically always measured with very precise fractions. It's not that weird.

Comment

• The video stated the USEF is considering a ban on ALL medications within 12 hours of competition. Is this true?

Comment

• This, it has just occurred to me, is but another symptom of the USEF mentality that refuses to demand positive ID (chips and chip readers) of horses at shows. Same mentality that allows re-registration and different show records. Same mentality that doesn't require passports with medication records. Trainers don't want positive ID, so the USEF sits on its hands; trainers don't want an effective D & M program, so there isn't one. USHJA doesn't have any segment of its governance devoted to D & M issues. Trainers and show managers cherry pick judges and there is no USEF or USHJA discussion or program to prevent it. Apparently the show managers as well are just delighted with things as they are. They really don't have to do very much and don't, and their bottom lines benefit. If the show managers would stand up for change, and if the trainers would stand up for change, there would be change.

USEF, I believe, has become even more corrupt than AHSA was when it was the NGB. At least Alan Balch was moving in very positive directions before the merger--witness the pony measurement brouhaha. The measurement blitz hasn't been done since, has it?

Thank you, David O'Connor. And especially thank you for promoting a known user of Dr. Feelgoods in High Performance eventing.

If the USEF is considering a 12 hour ban, IIRC that is still less than the FEI has in place.
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• The "dropping to the ground" thing is not new. Several years ago at WIHS a junior hunter dropped to the ground after being given a shot. It was *assumed* to have been a shot of Magnesium.

A vet was called and the horse was finally able to rise and walk back to its stall.

AND it was shown in the junior hunters that day!!!

There is SO much wrong with this scenario that my mind boggles:

1. Giving the Shot
                                  2. Incorrectly
                                  3. A vet attending the horse, yet not being obligated to report this incident to the USEF
                                  4. And, the horse showing that day!!

My mind was so blown that I kept questioning the person who told me. She saw it all -- She was braiding a horse in the next aisle over -- in the very early morning hours (c. 4 - 5am) and, being on a stool she could see over into the stalls in back of the one she was in, plus she could hear everything that was going on.

While Horse Show vets may be obligated to file reports on incidents such as these, they are not on duty during the night.

If the real truth needs to come out, there needs to be a hotline number which grooms and braiders can call, with the understanding their identity will not be revealed. And there should be rewards offered for such information that can be proven at a hearing.

Aren't there whistleblower laws which protect people who see corruption and turn people in? Why can't the USEF create such a scenario?

Oh, wait, I forgot..... The USEF is comprised of these very same people who might have the whistle blown on their illegal practices...... No wonder the system is set up to make it hard to protest professionals and then punish them with slaps on the hand when they are found guilty.

Perhaps the USEF membership should be able to elect zone representatives to the USEF protest committee. That way the rank and file can ensure that the people hearing the protests will give out appropriate fines and penalties. If the membership is still not satisfied, after a 2 year term, they can elect another representative to speak for them in the hearings. And, just maybe, professionals should not be allowed to be named to this committee.

Hmmmmmm.........
                                  "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Effie1221 View Post
                                    The video stated the USEF is considering a ban on ALL medications within 12 hours of competition. Is this true?
                                    ...what video????

Problem with the 12 hour ban is how would they enforce it? And would not protect against overmedicating outside the 12 hours. We really don't know what killed Humble and never will but it may have been cumulative overmedicating and/or drug interaction, not a shot that could actually have been Legend 2 hours out.

Comment

• I like the hotline idea but I would be afraid that by the time any incident was reported and acted on, it would be too late. I, too, know about the WIHS incident but have also witnessed similar situations at Indoors--including in the pony ring where a large pony almost fell in the hack! It later collapsed in its stall but, while there was lots of eye-rolling and whispering, no one stepped up. I spoke with the mother who owned the horse and she didn't want to upset the applecart with her trainer. It's certainly not limited to the one incident at Devon, it's just that it was witnessed by someone who tried to take action and then generated the scrutiny of The New York Times.

Comment

• Originally posted by findeight View Post
                                        ...what video????

Problem with the 12 hour ban is how would they enforce it? And would not protect against overmedicating outside the 12 hours. We really don't know what killed Humble and never will but it may have been cumulative overmedicating and/or drug interaction, not a shot that could actually have been Legend 2 hours out.
                                        The video that accompanied the Times article.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
                                          Interesting observation. On the flip-side, I went to SMU (the only NCAA football program to every receive the death penalty) and I feel slighted that PSU didn't receive the same punishment for a far more egregious offense. That must be how a trainer who gets set down for a legitimate medication mix-up must feel watching EM continue to go to shows with meds lists miles long.
                                          I don't know anything about the SMU incident so I'm not going to comment on it.
                                          ~Veronica
                                          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Working...
                                          X