• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New York Times article - USEF and Humble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cdnsp0rthorse View Post
    Is dex legal to use at a show in USA?
    Originally posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Yes, within certain limits.
    But not for the purpose of making a horse quiet. It's not legal to use it that way in any amount. That element of the D&M rules is one of the primary causes of this problem.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• I don't see anywhere in the article where is says that Carrie Ray is a steward.

Also, it would be a conflict for a steward to have a family member or trainer showing at a show they were officiating.

FYI- a quick search of the LOC does not show that Carrie Ray is a USEF steward.

I suspect you read the one sentence where the say in the steward's report, Carrie Ray is quoted as saying. That is not stating that Carrie Ray is the steward, but that the stewards report has a quote from her.

Also, I am not sure what eye witness information you would expect from the steward as this occurred for the start of the show. This all happened at least an hour before the start of the show. Stewards only need to be there by the start of the show, however most are there approx. 30 mins before.

Comment

• Originally posted by MHM View Post
        Exactly. All the horses deserve that protection, not just the winners.
        A philosophy that is a lovely as it is expensive.

But look, everyone shows to try and win. Don't the also rans get protection if the winners are tested? Who would bother with a horse who always was 5th in his division... so long as you could drug him?
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• [
          Originally posted by juststartingout View Post
          I'd rather spend time enlisting! ALL like minded people to change what is .... rich poor and in between ... than complain about the bad actors who happen to have money is ... they are just part of the problem like any other bad actors
          by juststartingout

I don't know if Mrs. Williams would agree.....she lost her money to file a protest and now is becoming embroiled in a lawsuit.[/QUOTE]

ANd -- she did the right thing and that has a satisfaction all of its own. The suit against her - if it is even filed - is frivolous and everyone knows that... my guess - she would agree and she would probably do it all over again[/QUOTE]

You are still ignoring the money problem.

Would you file a protest if you knew that that might entail the cost of defending yourself in a separate legal battle?

I wouldn't. Getting someone to quit drugging show horses paired with a governing body that has show itself to have no interest in really doing that it not a cause I'll go bankrupt for.

IMO, no one asking the USEF to enforce its own rules should be subject to this risk. If they are, it means that the rich can do what they want-- those with deep enough pockets can cheat because they can afford to threaten further litigation. I suppose that other people with still deeper pockets can pursue these protests. But raising the stakes this way as Mandarino's suit has takes the option of protesting out of most USEF members' options.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by Eventer13 View Post
            So, these people who hint about BNTs that drug their horses... why don't you out them? Aren't you perpetuating the problem? Maybe if these BNTs were publicly shunned they might be less likely to drug their horses?
            Start it up, then!

I want you to write a letter to the editor of Practical Horseman criticizing that magazine for featuring a trainer who has been set down for D&M infractions in recent memory. Cite the Humble hubbub to support your "outing" of Mr. Stewart and disappointment of PH if you wish. But put your money where your mouth is. I'll look forward to reading your letter of BNT shunning.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• the problem is if you out the BNTs and you have a child showing or yourself, the judges will retaliate against you. Some of the BNTs are also judges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Molly99 View Post
                Random testing is really the best option, for various reasons. I do agree that at certain level events testing the top 3 would be good as well, but not a rule. Random implies that anyone at anytime can be tested. That impacts every horse at the show, not just the winners.
                Mvp, perhaps you missed that my post was in response to the above comment regarding the value of random testing. If people know that ANY horse might be tested at any time, that protects ALL the horses.

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                A philosophy that is a lovely as it is expensive.

But look, everyone shows to try and win. Don't the also rans get protection if the winners are tested? Who would bother with a horse who always was 5th in his division... so long as you could drug him?
                There are plenty of horses that are very unlikely to get top ribbons in certain competitions- the kind, safe, slow, habitual four-faulter in a big childrens' jumper division at WEF, the novice adult hunter whose rider will usually miss at least one distance in every class, if not more. Those horses still deserve protection, even if they never win.

There's the old saying that 10% of the horses win 90% of the ribbons. The other 90% of the horses also need protection from bad chemistry experiments.

Comment

• Originally posted by cdnsp0rthorse View Post
                  Is dex legal to use at a show in USA?
                  Originally posted by Molly99 View Post
                  I don't see anywhere in the article where is says that Carrie Ray is a steward.

Also, it would be a conflict for a steward to have a family member or trainer showing at a show they were officiating.

FYI- a quick search of the LOC does not show that Carrie Ray is a USEF steward.

I suspect you read the one sentence where the say in the steward's report, Carrie Ray is quoted as saying. That is not stating that Carrie Ray is the steward, but that the stewards report has a quote from her.

Also, I am not sure what eye witness information you would expect from the steward as this occurred for the start of the show. This all happened at least an hour before the start of the show. Stewards only need to be there by the start of the show, however most are there approx. 30 mins before.
                  Gotcha. No, I didn't expect the Steward to have been there when this one pony was collapsing on cross-ties. But I did recall from an earlier thread a less-than-Sherlock Holmes'-best report and wondered why that was.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Mvp, perhaps you missed that my post was in response to the above comment regarding the value of random testing. If people know that ANY horse might be tested at any time, that protects ALL the horses.

There are plenty of horses that are very unlikely to get top ribbons in certain competitions- the kind, safe, slow, habitual four-faulter in a big childrens' jumper division at WEF, the novice adult hunter whose rider will usually miss at least one distance in every class, if not more. Those horses still deserve protection, even if they never win.
                    Yeah, but holey mole the cost of protecting every last horse showing!
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Originally posted by leyla25 View Post
                      the problem is if you out the BNTs and you have a child showing or yourself, the judges will retaliate against you. Some of the BNTs are also judges.
                      I think the problem REALLY is, that even if you have leased a pony for your child to show at Devon ,(a competition held under USEF rules) and it drops, convulses and dies at the end of a needle, administered by Elizabeth Mandarino the "trainer", and you PAY to file a protest with USEF (because something must be wrong yes?), the result is that the "trainer" sues YOU,the person who leased the pony and filed the protest, and USEF throws it's hands in the air and claims that they can't do a thing about it.

Do you really believe that reporting to USEF that someone is injecting their horse with a banned substance would have any conequence whatsoever when a dead pony at the end of a needle is beyond USEF's ability to handle?

The problem does not lie with honest competitors not stepping up to report the doping of horses, but with the USEF that claims that it is unable to punish this behaviour.
                      Last edited by skydy; Jan. 1, 2013, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post
                        Yeah, but holey mole the cost of protecting every last horse showing!
                        I'm not suggesting they test them all. I'm endorsing the idea of testing AT RANDOM. That discourages everybody from breaking the rules. Not just the people who expect to win.

Comment

I'm not suggesting they test them all. I'm endorsing the idea of testing AT RANDOM. That discourages everybody from breaking the rules. Not just the people who expect to win.
                          exactly. this is how it is done at the show series I mentioned. completely random. and up to the vet as to how horses are chosen. some years the vet will roll dice for class number and placing. other years just walking the show grounds w/ steward and saying "that one, that one and that one".

it is well known that if your horse is on the show grounds, competing or not, it's "up for" being chosen to have blood pulled. If horse tests positive, the entire barn is disqualified for the current year, and the next.

this show series is a large schooling show series. not huge, but a three day event that is well known and fun, there's a littlel bit of everything for everyone. A few years ago, a "BNT" (big fish, little pond) had a horse test positive, claimed that it had been showing colic signs the day before so he gave it banamine. Took his protest all the way to state court, where he lost.

Now, I'm not so naive that I believe there are NO drugged horses, but I do know that there are a lot less drugged horses than at the A rated shows that are local.

working on the committee for a couple of years, I believe the cost to test (test kit plus lab fees) is about $500, per horse. Is there no way the larger shows couldn't budget in a few tests?? we test 3 horses per show/ 3 shows per series. seems like not alot, as there's a couple hundred horses showing, but it's the RANDOMNESS that really discourages attempting.

Comment

• I was under the impression that drug testing at USEF shows was random. That they could test any horse on the show grounds whether it was showing or not.
                            M
                            Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Comment

• it is well known that if your horse is on the show grounds, competing or not, it's "up for" being chosen to have blood pulled. If horse tests positive, the entire barn is disqualified for the current year, and the next.
                              Is it the entire barn or anyone under that trainer?
                              Because if an owner has their horse stuck without their knowledge because that trainer wants everyone under his/her name at the show to look good...and that horse gets DQed, owner gets pissed off, can owner leave barn for new barn and continue to show elsewhere or are they screwed for up to 2 seasons no matter where they ride out of?

Or if the trainer's own horse from a barn is tested positive but none of the boarders/students are...are they all screwed from showing for that long or can they move and show under someone else?
                              You jump in the saddle,
                              Hold onto the bridle!
                              Jump in the line!
                              ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by Monarch View Post
                                I was under the impression that drug testing at USEF shows was random. That they could test any horse on the show grounds whether it was showing or not.
                                M
                                It is random now. Some people were suggesting that should change to concentrating on the winners. I beg to differ, for the reasons stated above.

I believe as it stands now, a horse must be entered in the show to be subject to drug testing. If you have a non-showing horse on the grounds, it is not subject to testing, IIRC.

Comment

• Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                                  Is it the entire barn or anyone under that trainer?
                                  Because if an owner has their horse stuck without their knowledge because that trainer wants everyone under his/her name at the show to look good...and that horse gets DQed, owner gets pissed off, can owner leave barn for new barn and continue to show elsewhere or are they screwed for up to 2 seasons no matter where they ride out of?

Or if the trainer's own horse from a barn is tested positive but none of the boarders/students are...are they all screwed from showing for that long or can they move and show under someone else?
                                  I would have to investigate that one, but my understanding is that, for the current showing year, you are out. If you move barns when the current year is over, I would assume you could show then next year under a different trainer.

Comment

• Thanks for clarifying MHM. Re read GR402 testing misunderstood earlier.
                                    M
                                    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Comment

• I just wanted to post this... my New Year's Resolution is to be a bitch when needed.

If you KNOWINGLY drug a horse too sore, too unsettled, too lame.... for the purpose of winning ribbons, you are an [ass]. I'd like to take you to the nearest Cross Fit Box. Make you workout. Pump you fill of pain meds and some valium. Take you back the next day and the next and the next. Just keep repeating, keep "fixing you up" without a break. Joint injections, whatever. Then when I finally break you, I'll dump you somewhere.

People who do this [edit] are an embarassment and more disgusting than the bikers and others that drug to win because you bringing along a partner with no say in your disgusting activity.

I understand the need for occasional therapy, but it goes too far too often. Really? There is that much money in the hunters? The owners really need the prize money or a giant return on investment that there is need to overuse the horses like work mules?

[edit] Did she even consider the hit to her bottom line when that pony collapsed under a young rider who's parents probably had access to bigger lawyers? WTF happens to your bottom line, USEF and trainers when your stupidity and greed kills a cute little rich girl who's drugged pony stumbles and she is injured or worse yet, killed?

You know, occasional bute and joint injections and even some Ace are one thing.... but these wonderful combos that don't test are just despicable. May all of the people who use these things go rot in hell and I pray for your horses.
                                      Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 1, 2013, 02:25 PM. Reason: language

Comment

• Why can't testing involve both scenarios? Mandatory tests for the top 3 or 4 places plus random tests for any horses registered to show? In many cases there will probably be some overlap in the top placings anyway, which should help with any increased costs.
                                        "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• When I said that, I was talking about the COTHers who have no problem saying "I saw a BNT/BNT's groom sticking a horse right before a class" but won't come out here and say who it was. Scott Steward HAS been outed... he's made it to the D&M list, everyone here knows he has some sketchy drug practices. Its up to them to decide if they want to train with him. But at least its well-known.

If PH wants to put a cheater on their cover, that's their decision. I don't get the magazine anymore. But I'm talking about all the other trainers that *aren't* getting caught, where someone has seen them inject a horse with a questionable substance or knows of someone (client) that has heard them admit to the practice.

I have heard of several trainers "outed" on the eventing forum for poor training practices, to the point where I won't clinic with those trainers. Luckily, drugging isn't a huge problem in that sport (not sure if I've ever heard of it happening, actually, although I'm sure it has). But I would have no problem telling everyone here if someone's working student for an upper level eventer said her horses got a little Ace before their dressage test. Its better than hinting that its happening but not giving anyone the chance to know who to avoid.

Comment

Working...
                                          X