• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New York Times article - USEF and Humble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
    While I think think this pony was getting way too many drugs, getting Legand - and Adaquan - the day of competition is fairly normal practice. Back during the '96 Olympics, the Racehorse farm I worked at hosted two teams, and quite a few indiviuals, and rare was the horse that was NOT getting Adaquan or Legend shots.

Now, I don't think that justifies it, but I would rather see a horse on Legand or Adaquan then say, Bute, Banimine, etc.
    Don't you think that an Olympic horse is competing under a much different stress load than a pony jumping a 2'3" course?

Comment

• I've read every post here, and I've followed other EM wrecks in the past, and all I can say is that I can't believe this [person] is still in business, especially after what's been posted here. Is there seriously not ONE of her 9 attorneys telling her to just [edit] stop posting?!
      Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 31, 2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: language/name calling
      Originally posted by MistyPony
      In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Comment

• From a purely ethical standpoint, how does repeatedly injecting horses with Legend during a week differ from the good ol' days of buting up Trigger? Bute's side effects notwithstanding, isn't repeat Legend injections a similar form of cheating by way of altering a horse's natural movement?

Now let's look at it from a medical standpoint with a heavy show schedule in mind. A horse that shows 20-30 weeks a year, by the above 1st then 2nd 48 hours later schedule, would receive at least 40-60 Legend injections annually (1-2 "show days" with no injections during off weeks)? Over how many years?

That can't be good for them, can it?
        "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Comment

• I hope all you people that voted to get rid of the little red thumb are proud of yourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneonOne View Post
            I hope all you people that voted to get rid of the little red thumb are proud of yourselves.

Ha ha! I was a fan!
            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by CBoylen View Post
              As I said before, and someone else also mentioned, it is not an uncommon protocol to give Legend the day of the show. Some vets recommend repeating the dose every 48 hours for competition, so, 48 hours out and then the morning of the show day. Your husband might not be one of those recommending that program, but there are a number of barns that have been following those recommendations and find them to be effective.
              I would not be surprised to find that if a clinical study were carried out, the "effectiveness" noted by "a number of barns" would simply be a placebo effect.

In addition, Legend is labelled for a maximum administration of 3 doses, 1 week apart. Safety studies used a maximum administration period of 1 dose a week for 9 weeks. While some veterinarians may be recommending Legend's use Q 48 H during competition, that use is certainly off label and has not been evaluated in any clinical studies to date.

Very few trainers, if any, have any background in veterinary pharmacology; it's no wonder that horses/ponies continue to drop dead at shows. I hardly believe the AVMA would support veterinarians dispensing and recommending such off-label use of many of these "common" horse show drugs. There really is no defense for it.

I think the 12-hour cutoff for drug administration should pertain to all medications and drugs. No competition horse/pony should be stuck 2 hours prior to a class to receive anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneonOne View Post
                I hope all you people that voted to get rid of the little red thumb are proud of yourselves.

I have to admit, I was thinking earlier the red thumbs would get a LOT of use on this thread!

Comment

• ^^^^agree. Why would a vet say to give it so often?? I can think of $$$$$ reasons why.
                  Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

• Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
                    Right, because I believe someone who doesn't know the difference between slander and libel.
                    Well actually I did say it directly to the person in question as opposed to in writing so she may be correct there. She was the one who chose to make it public.
                    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Posted by Tha Ridge:

Don't you think that an Olympic horse is competing under a much different stress load than a pony jumping a 2'3" course?
                      Stress is stress. Ponies are shorter, so the jumps are shorter, too .

Comment

• Originally posted by KellyS View Post
                        I think the 12-hour cutoff for drug administration should pertain to all medications and drugs. No competition horse/pony should be stuck 2 hours prior to a class to receive anything.
                        Yes, yes, yes!!!!
                        The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

• For all you legal eagles......how many states have anti-SLAPP laws?

Comment

• duplicate
                            Elizabeth Mandarino
                            www.amberhillponies.com
                            cell 908.397.0977

Comment

• I'm curious as to the name of the vet that prescribed and approved that long, long, long list of meds that Humble was to receive at Devon during that short time.

Comment

• The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                                https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

• Originally posted by amberhill View Post
                                  after the july 21 letter was sent to keating, no further requests for information were received from usef until nov 26 when they requested the final report which was immediately produced and said the same thing as what had already been given to them.
                                  forgot to include the links to the USEF correspondence, Williams threats and other statements and affidavits in my defense:

http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil...oxicology.html

http://amberhillponies.com/Amber_Hil..._Williams.html
                                  Elizabeth Mandarino
                                  www.amberhillponies.com
                                  cell 908.397.0977

Comment

• Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
                                    While I think think this pony was getting way too many drugs, getting Legand - and Adaquan - the day of competition is fairly normal practice.
                                    Quick question: is it normal to give Legend AND Adequan? I always thought you gave one or the other.

Comment

• Keep googling EM. You're not shocking anyone. We all know who Laurierace is...she signs her posts with her website too.

Google Laurie's name and you come up with a few pages...mainly all about her business (no bad press) and one blog crabbing that she outed someone for shady business in an attempt to protect horses.

Now Google YOUR name.

Reams of pages...mostly about you being sued for screwing people over, you sueing John and Jane Dohs for not kissing your hiney, you attempting to promote yourself, you being suspended, you killing a pony, you griping on multiple BBs about people not kissing yoour hiney and mentioning your lack of experience, you starting ad running a business that promotes and financially supports puppy mills with obviously bad practices of breeding and selling sick animals, etc.

Huh. Guess you showed Laurie! Way to go!
                                      You jump in the saddle,
                                      Hold onto the bridle!
                                      Jump in the line!
                                      ...Belefonte

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkwave View Post
                                        Quick question: is it normal to give Legend AND Adequan? I always thought you gave one or the other.
                                        Very. Especially for an important show like Devon. Most people keep a regular adequan schedule and use legend show-by-show, but for a show like that you would adjust your adequan schedule if necessary to get the peak effect. And some of those that don't usually double their legend for regular shows do so for Devon.

Comment

• Very. Especially for an important show like Devon. Most people keep a regular adequan schedule and use legend show-by-show, but for a show like that you would adjust your adequan schedule if necessary to get the peak effect. And some of those that don't usually double their legend for regular shows do so for Devon.
                                          Oddly enough...medicating horses is usually recommended and dosed based on each individual animal's immediate health needs as opposed to how important each show may be.

But then that's when moral vets do the medicating as opposed to owners, trainers and riders attempting to make uneducated medical decisions based on possible projected income or ribbon placings.
                                          You jump in the saddle,
                                          Hold onto the bridle!
                                          Jump in the line!
                                          ...Belefonte

Comment

Working...
                                          X