• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best comment you've gotten from family after you've had a fall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two best friends witnessed a lesson where I did a flip over my horses head and onto the ground when he stopped suddenly in front of a jump. Can't remember exact words, but they made numerous comments about how very graceful and beautiful I looked as I did a perfect arch up and over his head - said if I was a gymnast, I would've gotten a perfect "10" for the maneuver.

Another time, I was alone and fell directly onto my left hip. Thankfully didn't break anything, but bruised it so bad I had to go on crutches for a few days. Same friends as above said they were going to buy me an industrial sized roll of bubble wrap so I could have some padding while riding.

My boss at that time saw me on crutches and asked for the story. He said he was going to buy me a case of Charmin and wrap me up like the Charmin Baby everytime I got on my horse from then on.
    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

Somewhere at my mom's house there is a video tape of me as an 11 yr old learning to jump. I got left behind and popped loose on the landing. The saintly school horse I was on felt me loosing my balance and stopped after a few slow canter steps, but every step she took I slid further down her side until finally landing in a heap. When I got home from the barn that day, I told my brother that I fell off and it was on video. I cannot even tell you how many times he and his stupid friend watched that clip in slow motion.

Comment

After I fell off and landed on my ass at a show my dad told me I needed to work on sticking my landing. (Thanks Dad, that's why I never took up gymnastics!)

Comment

Originally posted by starlight View Post
          I had some health issues about 6 years ago where I didn't have any platelets and was a bleeder. Fell off and hit my head pretty hard, my father (a former horseman himself!) responded to my request to please call an ambulance with, "you don't want to do that...they will charge you extra." I ended up driving myself to the ER! Thanks pops! ;-)
          ITP?
          Author Page
          Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
          Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Not fall related, but riding and doctor related:

I went to the ER with what I was pretty sure was appendicitis in the middle of the night, and was explaining my symptoms to the ER doctor. I told him it started as a general acid-y stomach that morning, but I ignored it and went about my day, cleaning house and riding. I noticed the pain again when I was driving home from the barn, and it was worse, then a bit later progressed to the area where the appendix is located, blah blah blah.

He was skeptical, maybe because I wasn't doubled over when I walked in to the hospital. He then said, "It's unusual to be able to ride a horse when you have appendicitis. I've ridden some and it can be jarring."

I said, "Not if you're doing it right." You should have seen the look on his face .

And yeah, the diagnosis was appendicitis.
            Fear is the rocket sauce.
            Jack Black

Comment

Dear Husband's standard response...."If you can't stay on...stay off!!" Thanks!!
              www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
              Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Falling off is a rare occurrence for me. When it has happened the results from family are boring, standard "be careful". However I was riding one of the greener, younger horses at the barn a couple of months ago and she decided to start bucking like mad. One of the other rider's moms was watching this, and she was freaking out and calling for help and trying to get the trainer to come into the arena, nearly in tears.

I stayed on and did not fall off even though at one point I was hanging halfway off the saddle (I've since figured out how to anticipate and prevent these bucking episodes). I was laughing. The trainer and her come in, and the trainer realizes it's not actually an emergency and laughs it off. The other lady just spent five minutes saying she has no idea how I was "so calm" and kept talking about how horrifying it had been.

Comment

Little girl falls off pony twice in the same lesson, dad exclaims very loudly... "well, that's what you get for $x thousand dollars!"
                  Erin and
                  Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

Family doesn't say anything. The people at work.....that's a whole 'nother matter. It doesn't matter how I injure myself, it's always the same question.

The company owner presented me a pink stick unicorn at this year's xmas party.....said that's a whole lot safer and cheaper.

Comment

My mother is a coach, so this may be why her response is different from most other moms I know.

My brother and I always said we could gauge the severity of any falls by how hard mom was laughing at us.

I was at a show and came off in the warm up ring, landed on the jump, banged up pretty good, medics were called but it was determined I was okay. My mom finally wanders over to the ring and asks who they were calling the medics for.

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                        ITP?
                        Yep...but (knock on wood!!) I've been in remission for 4 years!
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/greyhoundgal

Member of the OMFG I got banned clique

Comment

I broke my collar bone in the summer of 2010, and did not tell my mother for 5 days because I knew she was going to over-react (she hates that I ride because she thinks it is too dangerous). When I finally told her, she said "well I assume you are going to sell that horse now." I said no, that I wasn't selling the horse and she replied "I guess you are just going to keep riding him until he kills you." Thanks, Mom.

I should add, I had never come off of him before the collar bone incident, and have not since. But apparently, according to mother, he is going to be the death of me.
                          Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

I fell off last summer and it wasn't bad - sore and banged up but nothing serious. I posted on FB to let barn friends know that I was okay. Something along the lines of, "Well I fell off Petey today but it was mostly my fault. Pretty sore but looks like I'll survive!"

My MIL responded: "You fell off? I wish I had seen it - it was probably funny!"

I just... what? THAT's your first response?

Comment

yeeeeeears ago, when i was 10 (twas my birthday, actually) i fell off of this pony who liked to bolt for no reason (may he rest in peace) 3 times (once in ditchwater....in February) on the last day of a loooong 2 day hunt clinic. This mean old lady (who had a mean old horse to match) picked me up and said "Honey, you really can't ride." next year i kicked everyone's butt in the hunterpace.
                              Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
                              Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Comment

Gray horse, so funny! But what kind of brother would he have been if he DIDN'T replay it in slow-mo repeatedly?? It's like a brother requirement in that situation :-)

Comment

"Do you need to go to the ER? Because I just put the banana bread in the oven and we won't get back in time to take it out."

My mother, bless her heart. She learned not to react to news of a fall unless I said I was hurt
                                  Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Comment

I didn't fall off, but it was close when horse got a hell of a fright at a show. Ex's mother upon us arriving at her house for dinner that night "Sorry to hear your horse is so stupid"

Comment

My Mom's standard response is something along the lines of, "Now, what are you going to do so this doesn't happen again, and, do you need a new helmet?" Mom's accepted that this is something I want to do, and it's dangerous, but wants me to work to be as safe as possible. She also wants to be sure I'm not skimping on my safety gear. My awesome CO AYR8? Courtesy of Mother Dearest. Thanks Mom!

Comment

Well mum being a very horsey mum responds in the usual, 'are you in hospital?' no 'good, horse alright then?' or 'were you doing something stupid?' that question is always followed with, well I thought it would be fun to…… *shakes head*

Best comment from my trainer when I nearly went over the horses head, 'oh god, not in the mud!!'

Comment

But the best one was on returning to a local fun show where I had one of the most spectacular falls, I walked into the office and was greeted with 'Anna, hi. We named a trophy after you, are you going to go for it this year?' it's in it's third year now and going strong. It's awarded to whoever has either the most or the funniest fall of the show. At least my name is on a trophy lol

Comment

Working...
                                          X