• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Leaving a barn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't know anything except what the OP has told us. Which isn't much. What we do know is that the horse WAS turned out, just not where the OP wanted the horse turned out. To me, that is not enough to warrant all this if the BO isn't doing her job tough crap, crap.

Grass is hard to come by in the OP's area? Why do we think it's positively criminal that a horse that will tear up the grass isn't turned out on the grass?

Was the OP looking for another barn when December 1st rolled around? From what has been posted, it seems that the only reason she didn't give notice on the 1st is that she hadn't found another barn on the 1st.

That's not good enough reason not to give proper notice, contract or no contract.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
      From the barn's standpoint, if a difficult customer wants to leave, let them.

So now I'm a difficult customer? Wow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gumshoe View Post
        We don't know anything except what the OP has told us. Which isn't much.
        I must have told enough since I am now considered by some people on here to be a horrible boarder.

Comment

Sounds like you complied with the verbal 'contract'. You have no obligation to do more. We've all had good and bad experiences. I appreciate the BOs that said good-bye with a smile and have no issue with the ones that were more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Koniucha View Post
            I must have told enough since I am now considered by some people on here to be a horrible boarder.
            I don't know enough to say you are horrible boarder. My opinion is that you did not act in the same professional courtesy manner as you would expect your clients to, seeing by your sig line you work in the horse industry as a professional. That is just one opinion. Clearly, there are many who approve.
            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

I've left two barns without giving 30 days notice.

One the BO refused to feed square bales to the pasture boarded horses even though she was out of round bales for over a week. Several horses had to be seen by a vet for oral ulcers, vets best guess was from trying to eat nonedible/thorny weeds in pasture. When the hay guy arrived he mentioned having to turn on the water again, the pasture tanks were bone dry. Told me(and the other boarder there) we needed to arrainge our co-op duties better. It's not a co-op barn.... Left there with no notice prior to the AM i showed up wt the trailer. That barn has since closed up shop. No suprise to those of us there.

Second time my horse unexpectedly came back from lease. BO knew I was actively looking for a new lease and would give as much notice as I could. She also knew I was barely affording board as it was, and didn't fault me for not giving a full 30 days.

My point being, many of the places I boarded don't have contracts but it is considered common practice to give 30 days notice. One of the ones where I didn't te BO didnt fault me(and had a waiting list to fill my spot) the other actually called me about paying the rest of my 30 days notice. I know I burnt that bridge, and it one I don't mind being gone. She will never be in control of another of y animals.
              You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

Giving 30 days notice doesn't always mean boarders and trainers/BO will part ways amicably. Often one or both parties will talk smack about each other after they've parted ways; and depending on how the contract is written and what agreements are in that contract, could be very easy for a boarder to say - well - per my contract YOU have breeched it so I'm leaving. I was at a place where there were some financial issues which lead to poor care - when a person is scraping old hay from a horse trailer to feed horses you really want to really want to stay another 30 days? No way. A friend of mine boarded at a large event barn and signed a contract for training and all this - she turned up unannounced one day only to find that the "training" she was paying for was for an inexperienced WS to use her horse in a lesson. She left w/o 30 days notice (she was only there for a week though) While the OP should have given 30 days notices and it is an industry standard, is it a law? W/o a contract would be hard to enforce

Comment

This has gotten a bit out of hand, dont you think? There are two sides to every story and since we really dont have either side fully presented, none of us can really make judgements. Sounds like the OP learned to always have a contract and the BO (maybe) learned that she needs to CYA with a contract but who knows.....or cares???

OP, it sucks leaving a barn. Dont let the fall out bother you too much. Just move on and good luck at your new barn!

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                    The only time I have EVER seen a horse run around crazily in a pasture is when it has been cooped up in a stall or very small paddock.
                    Laugh.

I will tell my group that they are not allowed to get the sillies and randomly start running laps in the middle of the day.

Comment

I board a horse or two now and then. No contract. But this is really low key boarding. Just a nice stall over night with day turnout and a nice outdoor riding ring. I live here and built this facility for my use. I am NOT dependent on the income from a boarder, so, If the boarder decides to move to a facility with more (trainer, indoor,ect) it is fine with me. We all part on happy terms and many of these people end up bringing a horse back at some future time.
                      If, on the other hand, you know that your leaving will cause a minor $ hardship then by all means at least offer a 30 day check.

Comment

My barn owner's philosophy is if you aren't happy there, she isn't happy, and unhappy boarders are welcome to leave at any time. The farm is paid off and there's a waiting list to board there, which probably makes things easier.

I have few regrets in life, but one I do have is waiting to move from my old barn to give them the chance to improve. I gave notice, they asked me to stay, saying things would improve. They didn't improve, and my horse deteriorated further - it took a year to get him back in good weight.

My "lesson learned" out of this is move the horse as soon as possible, even if it means paying board on two places. I did give my old barn 30 days notice, but they thought I was going to stay. I gave no further notice the day I moved.

Comment

If you take in boarders on a no contract basis, you have to assume that boarders will come and go as they please. If the 30 standard is something you expect met, then put it in writing.

The bigger picture issue is why so many clients feel the need to give 30 days and pay for 30 days while removing the horse immediately and paying at the new place. Unless improper care is the reason for leaving (in which case the BO has breached the contract already) then why should care fall off? If I am paying for board at the agreed rate until the 30th, then I want that level of care until the day my horse leaves. If the care doesn't meet the contracted standard, I should have every right to leave and NOT pay for the remaining time because the BO wasn't providing the agreed upon service.
                          Friend moved horse last year after instructor moved away from her town. Friend was not fond of other instructors/trainers at farm and wanted find one she liked. She found a nice place with a trainer she liked, gave notice and watched as her horse's feed was cut, he buckets went un-scrubbed, his blankets not changed etc. Why? She was paying plenty for board for that last 30 days. BO was being vindictive because she was leaving. It's sad really that BO's demand to be paid for that last 30 days yet in many cases refuse to provide the contracted service.
                          F O.B
                          Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                          Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

I think a few of the posters are being a bit dramatic about it. If there is no contract then it's really up to you how much of a notice you give. 30 days is standard but you were not obligated to do so. Sure you could do so if you wanted to. You have done nothing wrong. I would leave under those circumstances as well.
                            Agreed. Although I will say that I did leave a place with a contract that did not include a 30 day notice provision, but I paid a 30 day notice anyway...just because I genuinely liked the barn owner and did not have hard feelings. Other places that did have a 30 day notice provision but where the contract had been VERY MATERIALLY breached...nope, I just left and didn't pay. If they had brought it up with me, I would have invited them to sue me.

Comment

The only time I have EVER seen a horse run around crazily in a pasture is when it has been cooped up in a stall or very small paddock.
                              Ha, that's funny! My experience is that horses can run. Maybe not as often if they are turned out more, but they can definitely run!

I own a barn and the horses here get turned out every day for 7 hours/day rain, snow or shine. I have 28 separate turn-outs all of them are large and most are grassy. Some live out with loafing sheds in huge pastures (1-2 acre parcels) 24/7, some come into the barn at night. I observe at least one or two horses running for whatever reason EVERY DAY. We watch, if we have to go stop them by catching them, throwing them hay or whatever, we do, but they do, on occasion, run. I'd say it's pretty natural.

But maybe because my horses are used to being out and having the ability to run around a little if they want, they are a little more sure-footed and smart about it.
                              "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
                              -H.M.E.

Comment

That is exactly what I mean. I have never seen a horse run around with no regard to its safety unless it spends little time outside. Horses that don't get to go out often do not know how to run on varied footing and they run stupidly. Horses that go out every day may play and run but they have more sense about them.
                                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

For arguments sake- I have seen horses run and hurt themselves. One was on a regular turn out, at a very nice training barn. Horse proceeded to jump out of her field, ended up breaking her pelvis. It may not be common, but it happens.
                                  Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                  X