• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is she mine or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is she mine or not?

So I'm in need of some opinions on a situation I'm in. A little over 4 years ago I recieved a horse. A friend of mine had a friend that could no longer afford or have the time for her horse so she came to me and my mom to see if I would be interested in a free lease. My mom agreed so we went and picked her up. There was never a contract written or signed by me, my mother, or the previous owner. After the horse was settled in at my barn she left and I didnt hear from her for 2 years. She never stopped by to check up on the horse and never tried to contact me in any way. After the first 2 years she did make contact and came out to visit and talk about our "agreement". It was agreed that I would keep the horse until I went to college and then she would be returned to the previous owner, however I ended up attending the local community college so I was able to still keep her. Once she left I again never heard from her for 2 years. In the time that I have had the horse I have covered all vet, farrier, board, and all extra costs. This horse is my heart horse and I have went above and beyond to keep her and take care of her. So what do yall think is it my right to say shes mine or is an old verbal agreement 100% binding?

Nope. Just a lease. At no point in your post did you say she said that she was giving you the horse. In a lease would be paying for all costs anyways.

Comment

No, it's a free lease, there was no contracts, so you don't legally own her. For you to legally own her you need to sign a contract. Even with no contact for 2 years, it's still just a free lease.
      Mendokuse

Comment

Uh, yeah, definitely not yours. The definition of a free lease is that the leasee pays the expenses. That's the whole point. Sucks that the owner has been absent in the extreme, but she's still the owner.

You said the owner hasn't tried to contact you - have you tried contacting her?

If not, you should. If you want the horse, call the owner and see what can be worked out. But I don't think you can just claim ownership.
        "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
        -George Morris

Comment

If you want to keep this horse permanently, go to the owner and get something in writing. Otherwise, no, she is still on a lease with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Secret View Post
            So I'm in need of some opinions on a situation I'm in. A little over 4 years ago I recieved a horse. A friend of mine had a friend that could no longer afford or have the time for her horse so she came to me and my mom to see if I would be interested in a free lease. My mom agreed so we went and picked her up. There was never a contract written or signed by me, my mother, or the previous owner. After the horse was settled in at my barn she left and I didnt hear from her for 2 years. She never stopped by to check up on the horse and never tried to contact me in any way. After the first 2 years she did make contact and came out to visit and talk about our "agreement". It was agreed that I would keep the horse until I went to college and then she would be returned to the previous owner, however I ended up attending the local community college so I was able to still keep her. Once she left I again never heard from her for 2 years. In the time that I have had the horse I have covered all vet, farrier, board, and all extra costs. This horse is my heart horse and I have went above and beyond to keep her and take care of her. So what do yall think is it my right to say shes mine or is an old verbal agreement 100% binding?
            If you want to keep the horse, offer to buy her from her owner; to date all you have is a free lease - which is what you agreed to.

As others have noted, in a free lease, you generally DO have to pay all the horse's expenses. You got what you stated you agreed to; at this point, based on what you state above - the owner can come claim her horse at any time.
            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

• Original Poster

Well the only issue (that I see) is that when I first recieved her I was told that she was unable to sell her because she was given to her and according to VA state law it was prohibited to sell her but when She came out to visit she said that I would either continue to keep her or I would have to pay her $10,000 which I feel is a completely incorrect price (not that I get to make that decision!).

Comment

Sorry she's not yours. There is no signed bill of sale, no monies have changed hands. Therefore, no sales transaction transferring ownership has occurred.
                <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Does the original person who had her even want her back? Why not just as if she'll now give the horse to you? Or ask to extend the free lease for the next 20 years or something?! She's checked out and you've more than demonstrated you're a good home... do you have some reason to believe she won't go for that?
                  ~Veronica
                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Well the only issue (that I see) is that when I first recieved her I was told that she was unable to sell her because she was given to her and according to VA state law it was prohibited to sell her
                    About the only way someone would be prohibited from selling healthy livestock is if that person did not have clear title to the animal.

In any case, you still cannot claim ownership of this horse. As others have said, you have a free lease that basically runs at the pleasure of the owner.

You must find the lawful owner and arrange for a gift or an outright sale. In either case, make sure you get at least a bill of sale (even if the sale is for $0) giving you title to the horse.

Comment

Nope, sorry. She's still the owner. I'm currently in a similar situation to you, but with an opposite problem - I used to keep my childhood pony at my house and I had a pasture mate for him that was sort of given to me by a woman over 5 years ago, but there was never any paperwork filled out and it was under the impression that she would still be the owner, on paper at least. Said pony is a 20something year old shetland that's unrideable but pasture sound and was just a perfect companion for my pony. Fast forward to now - childhood pony contracted a horrible virus and passed away this past Spring and now I have a little shetland that I really have no use for and is just costing me the price of room and board. I've tried contacting his owner to no avail. I have a friend that has offered to take him from me, but because the horse is not legally mine, I really do not have the authority to do that. It sucks, but because I am just the "lessee" technically, I have to hold on to this pony until the owner contacts me back, if that ever even happens.

My advice would be to try and give her a call - offer to more or less take the horse off the owner's hands - give her some peace of mind and let her know that the horse will be well taken care of for the rest of her life. See how that goes - and make sure you get something signed and in writing!

Comment

Originally posted by caballero View Post
                        About the only way someone would be prohibited from selling healthy livestock is if that person did not have clear title to the animal.
                        Agree with this. I wonder if the leasor is not the owner (maybe she has the horse on a free lease too) or if she adopted from a rescue that disallows selling or something.

Comment

When you have had contact, you do not say you or your mother asked about terminating or changing the agreement and continued to pay all expenses? Right?

By continuing under the same terms for 4 years now with no recorded objections, you and your mother have agreed to keep things as they are. It's not your horse. You can't continue for 4 years with sporadic contact from the owner then suddenly say it's your horse.

There are specific steps for declaring a horse abandoned but they don't really apply here. Your status as a minor when the original agreement was made also means your mother would need to be involved in any proposed changes.

You might want to think about a formal, written agreement to avoid further confusion. I assume you are now over 18 so that new agreement can leave mom out.

There are some rescues and adoption outfits that are pretty restrictive about future ownership changes so that could complicate things a bit.

But you need to do something to clarify this whether you continue to keep the horse or she shows up with a trailer tomorrow...which is her right.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am now starting to wonder if she even is the legal owner because from what I know she was given the horse by the breeder. The horse was a twin that was not expected and she wasnt what they wanted.

Comment

I am now starting to wonder if she even is the legal owner because from what I know she was given the horse by the breeder. The horse was a twin that was not expected and she wasnt what they wanted.
                              All the more reason to ask for something in writing clarifying who owns the horse and what your agreement is. If for no other reason then who is liable if it gets loose and gets hit by a car or kicks somebody in the face. Suggest registered letters with receipt of delivery to contact this person and ask that she enter into a formal agreement with you.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Weird story.

First the owner can't/is unable to sell the horse.

4 yrs goes by.

Then owner wants 10k.

She can sell the horse now? Will she realisticly be able to sell it for 10k?
                                What if you don't have that money/don't want to buy the horse? Is she going to take it back?
                                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Is there some reason you want to legally own the horse at this point in time? If not, I would tend to "let sleeping dogs lie," enjoy the horse and let her continue to age and depreciate! You have no intention of ever selling her. If the owner (and yes, she is still the owner), contacts you, you can work out a sale price at that time. I'm assuming you improved this horse since you received her and I can just see the owner realizing that she's worth $$ and wanting more than you are willing or able to pay. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

Comment

I would check your state laws regarding the "law of abandonment" when it comes to equine. Because you have been paying the bills for the horse for a number of years without contract, it may be classified as abandonment. Google the laws in VA, I just did, and I believe if you wanted to fight it you very well could. (But im no lawyer.... by any means)

Comment

Originally posted by jherold View Post
                                      Is there some reason you want to legally own the horse at this point in time? If not, I would tend to "let sleeping dogs lie," enjoy the horse and let her continue to age and depreciate! You have no intention of ever selling her. If the owner (and yes, she is still the owner), contacts you, you can work out a sale price at that time. I'm assuming you improved this horse since you received her and I can just see the owner realizing that she's worth $$ and wanting more than you are willing or able to pay. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.
                                      That's what I'd do.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by NTolppa View Post
                                        I would check your state laws regarding the "law of abandonment" when it comes to equine. Because you have been paying the bills for the horse for a number of years without contract, it may be classified as abandonment. Google the laws in VA, I just did, and I believe if you wanted to fight it you very well could. (But im no lawyer.... by any means)

That would be a crappy thing to do to the real owner of the horse. It has not been abandoned, she has been in touch with the owner. Not often, but it has happened. The last deal she stated was she was going to keep the horse till she went to college. Well now she is going to college near home. Nowhere did the OP post that the owner of the horse said that she didn't want the horse. Infact she posted that the owner said she could buy the horse for x amount.

Comment

Working...
                                        X