• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

In a hunter hack class... *Pictures added

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a dressager, then, you know the virtues of HorseSlacker going forward. Slacker being a slacker, are you sure he's "through"? IME, nice quiet hunters and HunterWorld can cause us to miss that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mvp View Post
      As a dressager, then, you know the virtues of HorseSlacker going forward. Slacker being a slacker, are you sure he's "through"? IME, nice quiet hunters and HunterWorld can cause us to miss that.
      I'm not following...can you try explaining that again?

Comment

I like 1 & 4

I don't think you can fox hunt in a tight "frame" and cover trappy ground. Remember the standard we are working towards. Even with his nose "poked out" he is balanced and together and could adjust himself with or without a rider'shelp if the situation warranted. He is using his backend and back - he's just not vertical at the poll. If I was the judge and asked for a collected or extended trot - which they used to routinely do - I would then expect to see the natural exageration of the backend/ rise in the back/and the flexing at the poll.

He looks fun to ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Crown Royal View Post
          I'm not following...can you try explaining that again?
          'K, I think Horse looks stiff at the base of his neck. That's just a vibe-type impression I get. To me, that means, too, that he's not all the way relaxed in his back. But! It might be subtle and easy to miss because he is probably trotting with plenty of forward and length to his stride.

A horse who is well-broke and quiet by nature can make us beg with our leg. I was worn down mercilessly by one of these. So at some point, we give up and settle for the most obvious signs of forward and relaxed.

The OP isn't clueless and the horse is not ugly. I got technical here merely because she asked for help making him a little bit better. Her remark that these pictures of the trot are after he had jumped a course deepened by conviction about this. IMO, horses will trot the best, most "through" and relaxed over their back after the canter. If you don't see raised shoulders, a relaxed top line and reaching down in front at this point, you'll have a hard, hard time producing that in a flat class where you go to the trot from a walk.

I hope I haven't been too hard on your horse or your training, OP. Apologies in advance if I have offended you. Let me know if I have interpreted the pictures wrong.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

No no no, I am not offended in the least! Any advice to improve him is greatly appreciated.

At home I can get a really really relaxed trot and he will stretch down with his head almost at the ground...is that when I should be asking for some kind of bend? Also, the canter is still very much a work in progress (does that have anything to do with it?). It is adjustable enough to jump out of and he pushes from behind, but the head and back relaxation are still not there. He's been in steady work about a month so this is all new!

I just had the chiro/accupuncturist work on him Monday after noticing some back soreness and neck stiffness already, especially to the right. She did mention he was very stiff through the neck and worse to the right. Hopefully that will make a big difference.

He is getting a little break until I get him started on a supplement for his sore hooves and some hoof packing shipped in for after workouts. Since getting him a year ago we've slowly been getting his hooves healthy but he's still a little footsore.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenAcres View Post
              I don't think you can fox hunt in a tight "frame" and cover trappy ground. Remember the standard we are working towards. Even with his nose "poked out" he is balanced and together and could adjust himself with or without a rider'shelp if the situation warranted. He is using his backend and back - he's just not vertical at the poll. If I was the judge and asked for a collected or extended trot - which they used to routinely do - I would then expect to see the natural exageration of the backend/ rise in the back/and the flexing at the poll.

He looks fun to ride!
              The hunter world has been moving away from the foxhunting world for a long time. I would say the standards are completely different at this point (whether they should be or not is a totally different story!).
              http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
              Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

No no no, I am not offended in the least! Any advice to improve him is greatly appreciated.

At home I can get a really really relaxed trot and he will stretch down with his head almost at the ground...is that when I should be asking for some kind of bend? Also, the canter is still very much a work in progress (does that have anything to do with it?). It is adjustable enough to jump out of and he pushes from behind, but the head and back relaxation are still not there. He's been in steady work about a month so this is all new!

I just had the chiro/accupuncturist work on him Monday after noticing some back soreness and neck stiffness already, especially to the right. She did mention he was very stiff through the neck and worse to the right. Hopefully that will make a big difference.

He is getting a little break until I get him started on a supplement for his sore hooves and some hoof packing shipped in for after workouts. Since getting him a year ago we've slowly been getting his hooves healthy but he's still a little footsore.

Warning: A total novel follows. Take what you like and leave the rest.

There's a lot here to consider and tweak just a bit to make this nice horse even better.

At the beginning and physical level. Foot sore will make just about any horse stiff/sore somewhere high up. Remember that this heavy prey animal had to hold his body in a new position to minimize that pain 22 hours a day-- all the time we wasn't lying down. The moral of the story, friends at home, is find and fix foot pain.... and then be patient as you fix the rest.

But you do have to fix the high up muscular problems and the horse's habitual way of going. Chiropractic can be some of that, if the horse is very stiff and a real mess. IMO-- again, this is just on a very general "vibe" level-- lots of different movement is helpful, too. I'm a big fan of letting 'em roll often and also after work. That gives the horse a chance to free up parts of his body he'd like. Cheaper, easier than chiropractic. Of course, too, you need to ride this horse in the new "correct."

So of course that starts with moving from back to front and forward. But the dressager would ask "Where does that momentum get stuck, traveling from the horse's hiney to his nose?" Most of the time, however, (and especially with a quiet hunter-minded horse plus our discipline that doesn't do the Germanic "send him forward!" type of training), you won't feel some point in his body where he's stuck and not relaxed. You'll feel a horse who says, "Meh. I'd rather not. I'll give you a pleasant ride and just pretend I didn't hear the request for bigger or more forward."

And the thing he'd rather not do could be extend his trot (he'll also be slow to collect back up). Or he won't hand gallop without you having to continually pushing him. (Those are both about the forward impulsion being lost somewhere from the base of his neck back).

With respect to a stiff neck, he just.won't.hold.the.bend. If he is asymmetrical, you find yourself always picking on that side of his mouth. Sometimes, you realize that he doesn't listen to your leg n that side. Or he won't offer more easily if you, say, had him bent on the quarter line and then asked for a leg yield out to the rail from there. With a stiff neck, your chiropractor will show you any issues he has with carrot stretches. Horses' asymmetries in the neck become really, really obvious with these!

Those stretches over time do help fix, them, too. You might here crackling vertebrae low in his neck. (IMO, this is a precursor to OA in those joints.) You might feel the muscles at the base of his neck being bulky and a little stiff. Horses with issues here like even amateur massages that start at the front of the shoulder and go up the neck, loosening the whole thing. Have your chiropractor or masseuse show you. IME, you don't even have to do it well in order to have it be effective. You'll see it when you have loosened up the muscles your horse was holding in one position for too long.

With respect to his canter and getting a looser trot where he can relax over his whole top line, I think this might come from just more correct work. Give him a chance to become strong enough to squat and carry his shoulders. I might focus my efforts on the trot you have after the canter. IMO, this version of the trot will be the.very.best the horse has to give at the time (because the canter did the work of engaging his hind end for you). So when you come down from the canter to the trot, take advantage of the opportunity! This is where you ask for a relatively low head (not on the ground) and some bending. If he loses impulsion at all, you go forward, back to that trot that the canter "gave" you. Straighten out if you have to, but when you get big trot back, you can begin your bending work again from there.

All that really is just a trick the HunterPrincess can use to get the good, useful, engaged trot that the German Dressage Pushers get by just driving those horses up into the bridle. Those guys *know* they have an engaged hind end and can feel any blocked impulsion readily because nothing happens unless they have "forward" first.

So under saddle (assuming his feet are fixed at the least and you are at least experimenting with rolling or giving him massages), keep doing what you are doing, and just pay a little more attention to that after-canter trot.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you very much mvp! Very helpful. He is on field board, so has the opportunity to roll whenever he pleases.

Comment

Thank you very much mvp! Very helpful. He is on field board, so has the opportunity to roll whenever he pleases.
                    Good for you for keeping him outside As God Intended. It will help his body, mind and fitness immensely. It will, however, making fixing his feet a bigger, more labor-intensive PITA.

If he's on his way with that and growing out foot (and environmental conditions aren't re-hurting them), I think the break you have planned will really help you guys out. No point is getting after a horse for more forward and some other stuff when you can just as easily Do Nothing while a pain problem resolves itself.

I think a lot so that I can be butt-draggin' lazy when it comes to riding 'em. I want what I want and I don't want to have to get tired getting it.

Best wishes to both of you guys.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                    X