• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WEF Guide for Spectators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEF Guide for Spectators

Hi all!

I'm heading to WEF for a few days in January as a spectator ( my time will come) more than likely for WEF 1 or 2.

Any preference between those two weeks? Do you tend to see a bigger turnout for either of them? Show grounds live only has WEF1 schedule available and the entries seem pretty bleak. Stupid question alert: is that the only way to register and no one has done it yet or something?

What should I know about parking? I'm assuming it will be a nightmare. Is it ok to bring a bike to get around? Is that even necessary?

Anything else I should know? TIA for the tips! Can't wait to go!
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

re: WEF guide
    I usually go 2 or 3x each winter to spectate and what I do is download the Prize list (it is huge, don't print!), review the 'tentative schedules' for each of my possible trips and plan based on the big events on the Schedule - which are now usually Sat night events, in the International Arena. a few weeks are supposed to have the highlight event on Sunday at The Stadium (grass field, formerly the Palm Beach Polo Grounds).
    http://www.equestriansport.com/esp/webhome.cfm
    parking - if you go for entire day, it has not been hard to find a spot and I don't think I paid if arriving early in day. Do recall paying to park if just coming in for the Sat pm event. Don't think a bike would be necessary - look at a google satellite view of the PBIEC and you'll see rings are all very close together.
    Re: showgrounds Live - most folks, even if there for the season, seem to enter week to week and not very early! I do look at Showgrounds Live once the week is underway to check entries and see where folks I know are riding.
    It is really fun and you will have a good time!

Comment

I always like to have a bike or golf cart, it's more convenient when you're really hungry and want to get food, or realize that you've left something across the grounds.
      Mendokuse

Comment

WEF spectator

clarifying - if I was Showing (not just watching) I would for sure have some sort of conveyance - bike, gc!
        but as a spectator, haven't seen the need.
        also adding, you do have to dig around the ESP site a bit to find helpful spectator info - always have been slightly frustrated by that.
        I plan to get out of NE for WEF week 3 and hopefully week 10 also!

Comment

It's so funny, I was just starting to type up an Equestrian Visitors Guide for Wellington and West Palm Beach a week or so ago, but gave up because 1) I got busy, and 2) I started obsessing over Rocco's Tacos and couldn't concentrate on anything else.

Saturday January 12 is the Battle of the Sexes in the International ring. That's always a pretty good time.
          Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ybiaw View Post
            It's so funny, I was just starting to type up an Equestrian Visitors Guide for Wellington and West Palm Beach a week or so ago
            Ooooh! You should definitely finish it. Not much info for visitors on equestriansport.com. And by not much I mean practically zero.

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll try to make it for the battle of the sexes. I had fun watching that via usefnetwork last year.

Can't wait!!
            www.readyforthebigeq.com

Comment

Originally posted by AllEars View Post
              Ooooh! You should definitely finish it. Not much info for visitors on equestriansport.com. And by not much I mean practically zero.

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll try to make it for the battle of the sexes. I had fun watching that via usefnetwork last year.

Can't wait!!
              Maybe I will continue working on it! It's more of a guide to what there is to do OUTSIDE of the show.... But that could totally come in handy for a visitor, right? Especially for visitors who may or may not come with a slightly less horsey SO or something. Can you think of anything in particular that you'd like to see on it? I've got restaurant recommendations (hence, the Rocco's Tacos obsession), nightlife suggestions...what else? How to not drive like a tourist on I-95? LOL

Keep in touch about your plans!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ybiaw View Post
                Maybe I will continue working on it! It's more of a guide to what there is to do OUTSIDE of the show.... But that could totally come in handy for a visitor, right? Especially for visitors who may or may not come with a slightly less horsey SO or something. Can you think of anything in particular that you'd like to see on it? I've got restaurant recommendations (hence, the Rocco's Tacos obsession), nightlife suggestions...what else? How to not drive like a tourist on I-95? LOL

Keep in touch about your plans!
                OMG you're reading my mind. All of the above. Hopefully my Mom (CRF-Lynn on here) will be going in January as well. We may make another trip towards the end of WEF too. We're major foodies, being in the restaurant business ourselves, and we always appreciate the local gems. I'd personally love nightlife suggestions. I'm 29 (as of today! ) and interested in fun places with good music/drinks and nice people. Not so much the places the show kids sneak into with their fake ID's (no offense. I was one of them many moons ago, minus the fake ID part- really, Mom. ) Any social events going on specifically related to the show that non competitors can go to as well?

Looking forward to the guide! I'm sure it will come in handy to a ton of people!
                www.readyforthebigeq.com

Comment

Honestly, the first week or 2 are very low on entries b/c there are so many weeks to show so everyone is still settling in and getting the horses fit to show. WCHR week and battle of the sexes are definitely some of the best times to go however they do have a grand prix every weekend so always something to see. As far as a bike, if you can bring one I would. It is a HUGE show grounds so getting from one place to the next in a timely manner is difficult on foot. The rings are close together, as mentioned, but there are over 12 rings so it's a large area.

Comment

Hey, anyone that needs help- feel free to PM me with your email addresses and I'll send you the schedule and will be happy to help if you have any questions

Off the top of my head- WEF 1 has Battle of the Sexes on that Saturday...
                    Can look in the AM which Grand Prix is going on during WEF 2...
                    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Comment

I was looking for a class schedule online for WEF and couldn't find one. Does anyone have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by Satin Filly View Post
                        I was looking for a class schedule online for WEF and couldn't find one. Does anyone have a link?
                        Agreed about finding a daily class schedule...would also be interested in specifically the major events in the international ring, is there a list of those somewhere?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Satin Filly View Post

Schedule (for WEF 1) is available here: http://showgroundslive.com/esp/shows...ate/2013-01-09

Might be tentative and subject to change, but that's what I'm using to plan my time there. You may need an account to see it, not sure. I'm perpetually logged in, but accounts are free.
                          www.readyforthebigeq.com

Comment

I put all the "interesting" Saturday events on my work calendar (it gets me through the long weeks). I've got the Battle of the Sexes on 1/12, FTI Charity Challenge on 1/26, Hunter Spectacular on 2/23, Nations Cup on 3/1, Puissance on 3/2, $150k FEI Prix on 3/3 (so OP, if you're thinking of coming down later in the season too, that would be a fun week - and I'll be jealous because I'll be out of town), and the $500k FTI Finale GP on 3/30.

ETA: There are prixs every Saturday in the International ring, these are just the events that I have on my calendar because I DEFINITELY want to go to them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BaysofourLives View Post
                              Honestly, the first week or 2 are very low on entries b/c there are so many weeks to show so everyone is still settling in and getting the horses fit to show.
                              How low would you say low is? If it's like 1 or 2 entries on average per class, I'll probably stay home and go another week, since I can (and do) get that kind of low attendance here in AZ.

Battle of the Sexes looks like it's week 1 this year, which I'd really love to see, but again, if attendance is super low, I'll hold off.
                              www.readyforthebigeq.com

Comment

I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but typically the first two weeks are the lightest, then numbers pick up around the third or fourth week and stay fairly consistent through February and March. The last week is often lighter, since many people make their housing and stall arrangements through the end of March and then go home.

Some of us can remember when WEF was much shorter than 12 weeks, and are still mentally geared up to start showing towards the end of January.

Comment

Originally posted by equestrian13 View Post
                                  Agreed about finding a daily class schedule...would also be interested in specifically the major events in the international ring, is there a list of those somewhere?
                                  http://www.equestriansport.com/
                                  click on the events/calendar button and you can see all the Sat events, they eventually add more as weeks get closer. Otherwise best option is to wade through the 100+ page prize list. particularly if you are interested in class schedules. that *seems* to be the best resource.

oh and this PDF summarizing the marquise events/classes
                                  http://www.equestriansport.com/esp/p...ocialHBWEB.pdf
                                  Last edited by saabski; Dec. 13, 2012, 02:58 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

• Original Poster

Oops, forgot to ask. What is the Gallery? A bar? Is it open to the public with regular hours or is it only for special events? Do you need tickets/reservations and the like? Just curious. Saw a picture somewhere at one point and thought I'd ask.
                                    www.readyforthebigeq.com

Comment

Don't worry about entries. Riders aren't entering now for a class in 3 weeks. Battle of Sexes is gimmicky. Try for the real grand prix. Night classes can be exciting and there will be 40+ in them. You will for sure see Kent Farrington, Laura Kraut, Reed Kessler, Beezie Madden, and McLain Ward competing -- and they're the best. I'd go 2nd week not first. Also, Gallery is bar, open to public and gets quite the crowd after the GP.

Comment

Re:guide to Wellington

A guide for WEF/Wellington would be awesome! Was down there to help set the barn up at the showgrounds and FL farm and its overwhelming. The grounds are vast, and you don't want to look like you don't know where you're going!! And there is 5 of every store/restaurant (except Isaac's which is one plus to living in much colder PA) you could possibly want all within 2.5 miles, but it can be hard to find things in some of the "malls". Would also be nice to have "insider info" on some of the places...

Comment

Working...
                                        X