• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

when do you introduce the standing martingale to a young hunter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why have one at all? If they are short enough to prevent the horse coming up in the rider's face they are too short to allow a proper bascule. And why on the flat at all?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
      Why would you need one? Why would you put a staning martingale on a horse for a "look"???
      Because hunters are judged on looks?

Comment

I own a standing martingale. It has been collecting dust in the tack room for years.

I never quite understood the trend of putting them on all hunters for the over fences classes. If hunters are supposed to be have the appearance of a horse that is smooth and effortless to ride and jump, why would you want to show it wearing a training aid used for horses that throw their heads or raise them above the point of being controllable?

When I was in Pony Club, the ONLY time they could be used by anyone over the D3 rating was for Polocrosse. Running martingales, on the other hand, could be used by all levels.

Comment

I use my standing for certain jump schools and when showing over fences. It is kept loose so that she only hits it when it is really needed. I started her out with it on the lunge line to see how she would react (she can be a bit of a hot TB mare). When she as fine with that, I did various exercises with her in it before jumping. Just flatwork the first day, followed by rails on the ground the second and then jumping her (she was schooling 2'6 at the time and still very green). It has been kept loose purposely so she doesn't learn to lean on it. It can be a very useful tool if adjusted and maintained properly. I see WAY too many horses with martingales that are too tight and used on incorrectly adjusted noseband.

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
            I'd use it a bit before jump schooling, a few rides anyway. It should not bother them or need much introduction if you adjust it properly and the horse is well broke to the bridle on the flat. It's only ever going to come into play if they evade and really get out of position above the bit. It's really just sort of a backstop, not something they will even notice if they are going properly.
            I second this. I have NEVER had a horse that needed a standing until my most recent OTTB. He is fine until he's not. He'll be going along nice and quiet and in the bridle and then out of nowhere he throws a tantrum and starts leaping in the air and cavorting and flinging his head. It was during one of these episodes when I was struck in the chest by a flinging greenie head and decided it was time for this device. Until he's more trained and more reliable, I'll be using one (adjusted quite loosely I might add).

To the OP: If your horse doesn't need one, don't use one, simple as that. If you must use one, I would recommend introducing it by letting your horse hit it while you are not riding them. I have known horses to panic slightly the first couple of times they hit it so I would say to adjust it very loosely and lunge them in it first, creating a scenario where they do hit it. Once you know how they're going to respond, you can begin riding them with it accordingly.
            "Be the change you want to see in the world."
            ~Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by fourmares View Post
              Never. Unless they need one for some reason.
              This. I completely agree with this statement. If they are not throwing their head in my face or bucking/rearing (grab strap), I don't use it.
              It is just one more thing I need to put on my horse and clean.

It might be a trend right now but it won't affect placings as long as your horse puts in a solid round.

Plus, I want my horse to be able to stretch down and round his jump and in case he/she needs to bail me out of a bad spot I don't want to impede his movement with a trendy strap.
              http://dotstreamming.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personally, even if I didn't plan on using one on the horse ever, I'd introduce it but have the part that attaches to the bridle knotted around the neck strap. I think it's a good idea to get a young one used to having something around their neck/on their chest in case sometime down the road they need a breast collar or their rider would like to use a neckstrap. If you feel as though one might be useful on the horse, like in a situation like besttwtbever's, then just keep it loose enough to have no effect whatsoever until Dobbin does his damnedest to break your nose while having a baby moment.

As far as the "fashion" thing goes, this is how I feel about it. Anything we put on a horse should serve a purpose, and we should know the purpose of whatever we're putting on the horse. If the purpose behind your use of a standing martingale is looks, then go for it, as long as you can adjust it correctly. But if you're just throwing one on for no purpose you can think of, then maybe it's best to leave it in the tack room.
                Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

Another standing thread.

And just like all of the others, full of misinformation.

First, properly adjusted a horse can not lean on one.

Second, properly adjusted it can not interfere with his bascule.

Third, properly adjusted it can not interfere with a horse's recovery from a stumble, step in a hole, etc.

But the key is to adjust properly.

Although written many years ago, the book by William P. Wadsworth, MFH."Riding to Hounds in America: An Introduction for Foxhunters", is still considered the foxhunter's bible for appointments and manners in the field.

A standing martingale is considered an essential part of the correct turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by pryme_thyme View Post
                    Plus, I want my horse to be able to stretch down and round his jump and in case he/she needs to bail me out of a bad spot I don't want to impede his movement with a trendy strap.
                    Not picking on you specifically, but I wanted to borrow the last part of your quote.

This picture is of a hunter I showed once. He is in a properly adjusted standing martingale, is bailing me out of a bad spot in that picture, and I'd say he's jumping pretty round.

In general, if you don't like a standing, don't use one. But there are a lot of people who clearly don't understand how it works when it's properly adjusted.
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                    Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

Originally posted by cssutton View Post
                      Second, properly adjusted it can not interfere with his bascule.
                      This. Most top hunters go in standing martingales. Why would they spend $100k+ on a top hunter, only to impede its jump with a piece of equipment?

I'm not saying if the top riders do it then it must be okay, I'm just saying it would make no sense to put a hunter in something that impedes roundness since hunters are chosen for that very trait.

Comment

I've been hit in the face before <1" from my eye. I use a standing martingale unless the horse has proven itself otherwise.
                        For going to an unknown environment (fox hunting etc), yes, I use a standing martingale. I don't want to be hit in the face again and I don't want plastic surgery on my face.

Comment

What really gets me is that most people don't get the fact that a straight line is shorter than a curved line.

Maybe all horse people flunked geometry.

A properly adjusted standing, when the horse raises his head to an unsatisfactory or dangerous elevation, has to go from the girth around a pretty large curve to go around his chest and from there up to the nose band.

Now when he has his head in the correct position, the standing is in a more nearly straight line from the girth to the nose band. It will have quite a bit of slack.

That is why all standings MUST have a rubber stop unless the standing is an attachment to a breast plate.

As the head is lowered in relation to the withers, the line becomes straighter.

From that point down to the nose on the ground, as in a near fall from a stumble, hole or broken rail, the line becomes even straighter and the standing becomes more loose.

It becomes loose to the point that the horse can stick his nose out in front of him as far as required so as to get that stretch he might need to get back on his feet.

By the way, I do not present myself as a show rider. On other threads, I have mentioned that the last time I rode in a show was sometime around 1957.

However, I started riding in the days when our field hunters showed in the local shows and we jumped anything and everything in sight.

I have a photo of my field hunter of that day jumping a triple bar with a 12' spread, 4' high.

With a standing martingale.

I jumped a 5' fence with the same horse. Just once, just to see if he would do it.

He did, so I was happy and never asked him to do it again.

In those days, we did stuff like that just for fun.

For instance there is a photo somewhere of Junebug Tate jumping a car hood.

The point is that I am not a show rider, but I have done some fun things.
                          Last edited by cssutton; Dec. 4, 2012, 08:55 PM. Reason: To say that Junebug is Lloyd Tate of Blowing Rock fame.

Comment

and also to make the point that it is not correct that horses are handicapped by a standing when jumping big fences.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
                              Why would you need one? Why would you put a staning martingale on a horse for a "look"???
                              Seriously?!? This is the Hunters. Everything in the showring is about 'a look' be it hunters or jumpers. Why do the hunters all go in Dee Ring bits now, instead of full cheek. Generally, with a few exceptions, it's style.

This is neither good nor bad - it just is. Remember that the operative word in Horse Show is 'SHOW. Kind of like, why do we braid for the show ring? Because it looks nice. No other reason.
                              The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

I used to put one on every horse just in case we had the one freak moment where their head would come up suddenly or whatever. Sort of like you wear a helmet every ride just in case so may as well put the standing on just in case the 3% good it would do you might help out in a pinch one day.

I have since decided it it too much of a drag to put on and clean, and the 3% of good it MIGHT do me one day isn't worth all that, so I don't bother anymore. My horse shows without one; he has a very pretty head and looks very elegant without anything todistract of lead the eye away.

If an owner were to tell me, "But MY horses show in a standing," I would put one on for show day, adjust it properly, and expect it to never come into play anyway.
                                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                  I used to put one on every horse just in case we had the one freak moment where their head would come up suddenly or whatever. Sort of like you wear a helmet every ride just in case so may as well put the standing on just in case the 3% good it would do you might help out in a pinch one day.

I have since decided it it too much of a drag to put on and clean, and the 3% of good it MIGHT do me one day isn't worth all that, so I don't bother anymore. My horse shows without one; he has a very pretty head and looks very elegant without anything todistract of lead the eye away.

If an owner were to tell me, "But MY horses show in a standing," I would put one on for show day, adjust it properly, and expect it to never come into play anyway.
                                  THIS!
                                  The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

I only use it as needed so there isn't really an exact time when I put it on the youngsters. Regardless, I have never had a horse panic when first wearing one (most likely because they have always been properly adjusted) so I haven't ever really worried about introducing it to them with any special method. The main times I like to use them is when first starting over fences or first showing. Basically the times when they are more likely to be goofballs. By that time they have fairly educated mouths and have no issues with that kind of pressure on the nose.

I would say of the 7 personal horses that I am showing this next year, maybe one or two will go in a martingale. If I had a client who insisted that their horse should wear a martingale, I would have no problem with that. Also, with ammy and jr riders, I am more likely to put one on *just in case*. They have a much slower reaction time and would be more likely to get caught off guard with a playful horse.

Comment

Working...
                                    X