• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Does anyone else miss the thoroughbreds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot to love about TBs, but I think it is harder to compete with them now. Not that there aren't plenty of lovely TBs that do very well - but they are in the minority any more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very true. There are a (very) few exceptional TB's around, showing and doing well, but they have to be quite spectacular to compete well, and that competitive TB seems to be very hard to find.

Comment

I own a Tb and a Wb..my Tb is amazing.. I don't get the statement about them not having a brain..i think they are probably the most intelligent breed..and i all the Tbs Ive met have awsome personalities..i love thoroughbreds..the only turn off for me is that i have found the Tbs to be really high matience..atleast mine is.. i love my wb too though hes really awsome, i think they are both awsome horses but yeah its kinda sad there isnt too many Tbs anymore..but then again i just bought a wb over a tb..so who am i to say i miss them??
      Kaitlyn*

Comment

I have one! He's only 6, but moved up to the A/Os this year. He's not as fat as I would like him, but people find it hard to believe he's a TB because he's so laid back -- and they say he looks like a WB. He went to the track as a 2/3 yo, but didn't race because he lacked "go-fast."

He's not "spectacular," but a very pleasant A/O horse, cute, pleasant, pretty canter, big step, and when I find all 8 jumps, we get good ribbons at AA shows.

Comment

I'm a TB fan from way back. Since I grew up within spitting distance of three racetracks, I also grew up riding OTT TBs. I love them. I think they're probably the most versatile, wonderful horses in the world. And I still believe that in the hunter ring, a nice TB is hard to beat. And those WBs you see with the nice bascule? Betcha there are quite a few TB parents in the pedigree.

JMO.
          In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
          A life lived by example, done too soon.
          www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

I miss thoroughbreds! I have always had TB's until I bought my latest horse as a baby--he is a Trak(that looks like a TB!). But I adore them, and I still think they are the most spectacularly athletic horses out there. Where are all the Jet Runs and Touch of Class horses now? It is sad to think they are out there somewhere...wasted talent.
            I also find it amusing we have a division called non-TB hunter. I think they should call it "TB hunter" now. Even the local unrated divisions here are dominated by warmbloods. Even then, I have noticed, it is more prestigious to own an imported WB over a domestic one. I think this all has to do with getting a ready "made" horse straight over from Europe. The average person these days wants an easy horse that they can climb on and show as soon as the horse steps off the plane. TB's require a remake and it seems many don't want to make that effort anymore.
            Nobody puts baby in a corner

Comment

On Memorial Day at Devon my trainer and I were discussing how much the hunter horses have changed. Twenty years ago, I remember having a warmblood (hunter) for sale and the agent didn't want to tell people he was a warmblood. That's certainly not the case now!

Comment

Tess is a 50/50 appendix. Everyone thinks she looks like some sort of hanoverian, but she isn't. LOL. Standards have changed a bit, and judges favor the big warmblood movement over he delicate TB movement. I love my horse, I love her atitude and personality, and she is the smartest horse I have ever sat on. I don't think that it's an exclusively TB thing to be smart, though...
                -Grace

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Perfect Pony:
                  I went to a big H/J show near me this past weekend, all excited to watch the top hunters around this area. Lovely horses I guess, but they just didn't excite me. There wasn't a TB or anything that even slightly resembled one to be seen.

I know people try to say that a nice TB will still place/win blah blah blah, and I now find it very hard to believe anymore. At least here on the west coast.

Anyway, I just miss those sleek, fit, gorgeous TBs I guess. All the horses were so big and fat and looked like overgrown stuffed animals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, which show did you go to. I know over here (Del Mar) .. show park etc, I see TB's at the A shows, definatly not dominating the whole show but there are a few, a lot more in jumpers however. And at the local shows ( what i show on ) http://www.gsdhja.org, thoroughbreds dominate. However our local shows in san diego county are getting quite intense, this past season there have been MAX 6 local show barns attending, the rest 15-20 something all A show barns. It's like there is no such thing as a county show anymore lol. I LIKE IT, its ok, im paying the local show price to compete against better competition. And still doing well lol.
                  "Show me your horse, and I'll tell you what I think of you."

Comment

Well, not really. But then I loooove those big ol' WBs! Of course, that's not to see I don't appreciate TBs, either.
                    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

The TBs that are still around are fat, with fake tails and move more like warmbloods now.

My trainer's daughter has two TB junior hunters, one of which went to Devon this year and both will hopefully be going to indoors.

Comment

I have nothing against warmbloods, after all I will be showing one at the end of the year, but im always up for the underdogs, also I own a TB and thats all i've owned ever since my parents have started buying me my horses.

I like the speed, the brain work, the obvious hard thinking going on in the thoroughbreds mind, they hate touching those fences, and such diva's! Well mine is.

I do like Holsteiners! They seem to have similarities to TB's. Im showing this gorgeous boy at the end of the year in eq!

If anything though, I prefer to have either a tb, or a TB Cross ( love them! )... If a WB, then one with some GO! ... Maybe even a mutt? those things can be quite impressive

I was never a PMU believer really, always wanted one just to feel like i did something to help, but recently at my barn we just got a PMU horse in, its been here for 6 years ( its 7 years old ) ... this thing gets AIR! ITs free jumping 5ft + with inches to spare, and this horse is out of shape, I can only imagin what this beast is going to be like when hes going well in training and worked in to shape, not forgetting to mention, he turned out quite decent looking. (perch / tb) not really a fan of the cross but, hey, looks good to me!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tha Ridge:
                          The TBs that are still around are fat, with fake tails and move more like warmbloods now.

My trainer's daughter has two TB junior hunters, one of which went to Devon this year and both will hopefully be going to indoors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Very true I must admit, I found myself purchasing a fake tail for mine ( yikes ) ...! But they are still TBS!

Come to think of it, A majority of the Warmbloods even have the fake tails in now. Walking through the isle's after schooling from the last A show, I found myself making that face lol, like, warmbloods = tail to boot! guess theres never enough tail.

I AM A TAIL FANATIC! you should see my TB's tail naturally lol. Compaired to what it was when she came to me, its nice now.

Comment

I went to a big H/J show in Louisiana last summer and I remember there being a lot of TBs. I guess its whatever is popular in that area.

I own a TB, but I'm looking for another horse I can do serious showing w/. I'd like another TB or TB cross, but if its not, I wont pass it up if it fits the bill.

TBs RULE!
                            No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.
                            ~Winston Churchill

Comment

I still have mine or he has me. He's still really good looking and so intelligent and fun to ride!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by _Wallysfolley_:
                                I went to a big H/J show in Louisiana last summer and I remember there being a lot of TBs. I guess its whatever is popular in that area.

I own a TB, but I'm looking for another horse I can do serious showing w/. I'd like another TB or TB cross, but if its not, I wont pass it up if it fits the bill.

TBs RULE! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TB Crosses are the best to go with right now, because of the WB Craze, you get the TB Talent with the WB looks, well thats what i think anyway. Its always nice to have a big dumblood with the tb mentality. Gotta love your dumbloods though, and their tails LOL.

Comment

TBs RULE!!! (sorry) If you think about it, most of todays WBs have alot of TB in them. Heck, almost all of the top 3 day horses are TBs. WBs cannot keep up with them. My TB is very smart, and a quick learner. Hey isn't there a nick name for warmbloods? Starts with a d, ends with a b, and has the word blood after it? Oh please do not shoot the messenger here! I did not start it.
                                  "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
                                  Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Comment

Ooops, Delmar duckie pretty much summed it all up! Duckies not shy at all!!!
                                    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
                                    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Comment

oops haha, i have nothing against wbs at all! just knew their nickname LOL but nothing against them .. i ride them all the time. of course im a TB person tho .. hmf.

Comment

It's interesting to note that I think many WB breeders are procuding lighter, more TB-like horses now than ever. What goes around comes around... I had a Dutch one who could have easily passed for a TB, minus his huge feet.

I think what I miss about TBs, isn't that they aren't around, it's that the market has shifted and is no longer domestic (TBs). As show horse prospects at the highest levels the demand for TBs seems to have dropped, and I don't think trainers look at them as much any more, regardless of whether they do indeed have the talent. It's become too popular to go overseas, because you can automatically get a similar horse in terms of ability for hunters, but sell it at a much higher price or get a bigger commission.

In general, (not always though) I'd estimate that a 3'6" WB that can do hunter/eq is likely to sell for more than a TB that can do the same, and it has nothing to do with ability, it's that I think the market is hotter for WBs.

Plus, the horses in Europe are prepared from infancy for jumping, as it is so popular there. Racing is much bigger here, so that is why our domestic breed no longer is servicing the H/J community as much anymore. I personally think it quite an obstacle to retrain a racer and get them to relax. Some have the right mind, but others are so wired up they never settle.

I think the underlying issue too is that TBs are not bred as sport horses. They are bred as race horses. As the breed focuses more on speed than endurance, I think they are getting finer boned and less sturdy for the concussion of jumping. I hope the racing industry infuses some better bone someday.

I loved some of the TB sport horses of the past, For The Moment and Gem Twist come to mind, along with many hunters. Wish I could find one of those on the track these days! lol... but it seems less and less likely. Are there even any international jumpers, even national level jumpers, out there now that are purebred TB?

Comment

Peidpiper; Settle down there! I was just posting what my thoughts were. Don't get so defensive, this is an open topic. Also, I do need to define my riding skills to you, or anyone else. I am sorry if you took offense to my post, however I was placing a post as to what I prefer. I've owned and ridden many TB's, there was one TB that I owned, however that was sensible. Maybe it was my luck or not, I've seen better results with a horse that was not a full TB. In my last post you will find that all of my horses are either 50% TB or 75% TB.

Comment

Working...
                                          X