• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Problems moving up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems moving up

My current horse who I have had for about 3 years now has come a long way. When I first bought him (first horse) I was not a particularly experienced rider and he was green. Not a good combination, I know. He would stop and I would fall off. Since then he and I both have grown immensely. He is now much more mature I guess you could say and jumps most anything with little issue. I'm a fairly timid rider and if ever there is a not so perfect distance, I've asked him to chip in that extra stride instead of leave a little early. Now, however, as the jumps are getting a little bigger (2'6-3' so still not huge) He has started to chip in even when it's not neccessary (ie when we are at a good spot but not directly under the base) I know this is all rider error not him. I am sure he would be more than happy to step up and be a little more aggressive to the fences, but I feel much more comfortable crawling along and getting the chip. Any tips to get out of this box I've gotten myself into?

Try taking lessons on another horse and having somebody else ride yours for a bit.

You sort of taught him to chip...and that's good, we love the chip when we miss the distance as it saves our butts. All ammy/kid horses need to be willing to chip instead of leave long and weak.

Right now you are not sure and he can feel that so he is going to throw that stutter step in there because that is the way you have ridden him for 3 years. Unfortunately, as the fences get up around 3' and the width increases on those oxers? It's getting harder for him to chip and get over. He will start stopping.

Best guess is you are riding "backwards" to your fences, getting the pace and then taking it away as you approach the fence instead of coming freely forward and letting the horse find a nice distance and then letting him take you over. Most ammy/kid riders do this at least occasionally, especially when moving up to bigger fences so don't beat yourself up over it.

But you have to work with a trainer on this one, somebody to get your confidence up and do the same for the horse. You cannot jump "defensively" at anything over a speed bump.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

This happens to me from time to time in a small crowded warm up ring. I end up on a too small stride and see nothing but the pull-to-deep distance, which feels and looks pretty sucky.

I find the biggest thing is to have enough pace through the turn. Before you get even close to the fence, rev up a little bit. Get a bit of a gallop - a little more than you think you need. As you turn and get your eye on the jump, you can now gauge where you're at and if you can just keep coming or need to speed-check a little. I've found that it's waaaay easier to adjust when you've got a little more than you need, rather than trying to make something from nothing when it's already too late and you're a couple strides away.

Comment

Great advice, F8 - as usual.

YEARS ago, I was sort of a working student for a barn in PA. I was not the most aggressive rider in the world, but fairly confident. One of the ammies was much less experienced, quite timid - with a very nice, but not super-experienced horse. Back in the day, after show season (yes, Virginia, there was an 'after' show season!), we hunted. Horse needed more 'go'.

Trainer made it my job to make this happen. He didn't need to gallop & go, but more than creep & crawl. It was challenging and fun and did wonders for both of us, by the way. My big disappointment was that I never got to hunt him.

Story told to say that it doesn't sound like your horse needs 'trainer-rides' - just someone who has a couple more ounces of confidence than you do. And for you to ride something that has the "hang on, kid, I'll get us both around safely" to boost your confidence.

BEST of luck!

C
        www.ayliprod.com
        Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

I had a similar problem this fall. I have a giant moose-of-a WB who'd learned to kind of bolt the fences (in Germany). I essentially started him over fences from scratch, spending a year on trotting and then cantering single ground poles, moving up to Xs and low verticals, and when doing courses, Add, Add, Add. He learned to relax about the whole thing, would carry a lovely, soft canter for a whole course, and would adjsut *shorter* very well, (adding,1-3 strides in a line became easy. But when I was ready to start showing him, I realized he'd gotten to comfortable at the little waiting distances and when the spot was a tad long, he'd chip, even if I asked for the big one. Went back to basics again, and started ground poles, single Xs and small vertical lines from a "big" canter, to teach him to be comfortable with the longer spots (and more importantly, re-balance and come back after the bigger efforts). After a few weeks of that, he was confidently cantering the bigger jumps with longer distances (more length, but only marginally more pace). I still alternate between the adds and the numbers in our schooling sessions.
          Also, above posters are correct: it's alot about pace. Set up two ground poles at 5 strides, then go and do the line in 6, then 6, then 5. Get used the more forward canter feel over poles before gradually putting the jumps higher. You can also use simple gymnastics to get your horse on the right canter step and make it easy for him to understand where to jump from. Good Luck.
          A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ditto what everyone said. Especially the riding other horses part. When you've been riding one horse exclusively for that long, there tends to be a cycle of bad habits going on (at least I know there is for me). Its good to get on a horse who is totally different, so that you develop that different feel.

One of the hardest things I'm overcoming right now is riding to fences with more pace. I'm with you OP that it seems like its easier to crawl along and get the chip, however with all the other horses I've been riding, most seem happier with the ride up to the distance type of ride. Which is mind blowing to me, because its the complete opposite of what I want to do, lol. Like my mare, for instance. She has been so much better about the fences when I'm not in her face going through turns/corners and taking away to the front of the fence. It has actually given her a lot more confidence in me, I think, so that when we do happen to get that chip/ugly distance, instead of stopping, she's actually taking them.

And ground poles are your best friend to get over most issues, I've found. Same basics to riding to fences, but no wear/tear on your horse and if you mess up, so what? Its a frickin' pole on the ground. Its nothing!

Comment

Think of how hard it is for the horse to jump when they crawl along and get the chip? It is simple physics, the more momentum you have the easier it is to get over an obstacle. The best way to fix this is either grab mane or a grab strap at home and not pull at the base. At a show either grab main or the martingale. It is very difficult to tell yourself to stop pulling. By using the main, strap or martingale, you get the feeling you are pulling, but the horse does not react. Once you get used to letting the horse go, you can try letting go of the crutches. Sometimes at a show when you get nervous and you don't see a distance, many people want to pull and slow down for the chip. Hook your finger around the martingale to resist pulling and you will see how much better the fence will be.

Comment

When flatting, try cantering with a little more pace, and even hand gallop the long sides, or at least lengthen your stride and shorten on the short sides to mix it up. Get used to more pace on the flat, and it'll be easier to move up when jumping.

Comment

Working...
                X