• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

IHSA - Favorites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IHSA - Favorites

Since the "Worst Draws" thread is doing well and IHSA is just kicking off for the fall semester I thought it would be fun to hear about the good side of IHSA. It seems like we usually only talk about the drama and the bad draws but a lot of us have really fond memories of IHSA. I know I wouldn't trade my 4 years for the world!

Share which horses were your favorite draws, a great story about winning your class or qualifying for regionals, zones, nationals, etc. or a funny story about you and your teammates. Anything you can think of that is POSITIVE.
  • Original Poster

I'll say my absolute favorite draw was a large chestnut pony at St. Andrews (Zone 4 Region 3) named Gumby.

The horse list always said to do the simples and the ads but we just clicked and had no problem doing the distances and the changes. I drew this pony at least 4 times throughout Novice and Intermediate and won every class with him.

I drew him again at regionals for Intermediate Fences and was called back to test in 4th place. We nailed the hand gallop fence and finished 2nd. I remember at Zones I drew him again and they told me I was too big to ride him because there were 2 girls shorter than me in the class. I was devastated, redrew and got Ludwig (an awesome VI horse). Finished 3rd. I just know if I had gotten to ride little Gumby I would have been at Nationals. The best part was when the St. Andrews' coach came up to me afterwards and said, "Gumby really needed you today." The girl who was shorter than me did not have a good round with him.

Other favs were Kampari at Virginia Intermont (no longer alive), Oyster Pond at Hollins, and O'Toole at Virginia Tech.

Comment

Campari was the BEST at VIC. Other "bests" include Prima and Maloney.

Comment

At the shows that Penn State hosts, there is this large black pony named Jimmy. He is SO good that the only description for him is "cute pony" lol. I don't think anyone's never been first or second on him. If anyone wants a picture I have some. I adore this pony! Also, Dickinson's coach owns this old junior hunter...I completely forget his name though, I'll try to remember. He is absolutely amazing!
        Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
        RIP Tall Tales

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateer View Post

I loved Campari. I was also a fan of Albert.

My best IHSA draw was at UNC-G, where I got to ride a pony named Simon.
          Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Comment

I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.

Comment

I have two favorites - one was a little buckskin pony named "Bucky" that was just a blast to ride. I drew him open O/F and had to ride him on an outside grass course (which I typically found intimidating) and had SO much fun.

The other was a bit warmblood type palomino. I was riding with the U of Oregon club team while I was out on an exchange program. He was the only good O/F draw that day for that school - all the others were sketchy. He was just fantastic, big step, responsive, easy, bold. I wanted to take him home. I also pulled a little paint dressage horse that day for the flat - talk about a lucky day! I think that was the only time I was ever highpoint rider for the day.
              www.canterusa.org
              www.harpsonline.org

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Pirateer View Post
                LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding... he always seemed to go around nicely.

Comment

I have to admit, I love our one pony. Smooth as glass and responds to the announcer's voice. I was asking to ride her all the time, and lo and behold at our home show I drew her and got my first IHSA blue!

As for other school's draws, I drew this kick ass dressage-y horse named Annie at Bethany College last year. She just responded well, collected, and was easy to sit.
                  "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I went to Virginia Tech, and I hated riding O'Toole! His canter was so uncomfortable, that it jarred my back every time I rode him. Although, I have to say, he was quite point and shoot and easy going.

Comment

I mentioned this on the other IHSA thread, but my favorite was Lucky at WVU. I'm sure there were others, but almost 7 years after graduation he is the one I remember most.

I was on the IUP team and I liked a lot of our horses at the time. Lucy and Hannah especially.

Comment

Originally posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
                        LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding...
                        Yepp, good old Easy Chair. VI had him since he was something like 4 years old, and they retired him my senior year- 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by findthedistance View Post
                          I am in love with Owen, an MTSU horse. Drew him the first time as a super-greenie, missed both leads, but he was just so much fun. Got him again at the end of the year and he was a whole different horse. Fabulous.
                          Is he that really big grey?? He's AWESOME!

Murray State has a bay QH named Buster that is a ROCK STAR.
                          "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                            The other was a bit warmblood type palomino. I was riding with the U of Oregon club team while I was out on an exchange program. He was the only good O/F draw that day for that school - all the others were sketchy. He was just fantastic, big step, responsive, easy, bold. I wanted to take him home. I also pulled a little paint dressage horse that day for the flat - talk about a lucky day! I think that was the only time I was ever highpoint rider for the day.
                            Does UOregon still have the majority of their riders with the local mule-trainer and others with the H/J trainers or have they localized at one barn? One of our big problems when I rode with them is that we were all so scattered.
                            Whee!

Comment

Frisco, coppery chestnut Penn State, a dream.

Duke - Zone Finals, mid Long Island somewhere maybe Stonybrook?? 1990? 91? "16.2 needs crop" Prob from a SUNY school? Huge gorgeous bay. Finals were moved due to a huge rainstorm event in a rush somewhere indoors and there was 4" of standing water outside EVERYWHERE. It was a MAD scramble and half of the horses supposed to be in the show couldn't get there, trailers stuck in mud etc. I drew Duke for the next to last class of about 30 that day (and he'd been in each one I swear) and he was on his last brain cell by my class. (As was I after a VERY late night of making local townie boys at some nameless tres-non-private-women's-college-approved bar pronounce "Happaugge" for us again and again to fits of our laughter).

Poor Duke wanted me off at his first canter, spooked, bucked (I saw braids, ceiling, braids, ceiling, braids ceiling but didn't fall off) and the 2nd one I choked up on him so badly he barely took a step. I still got 4th of like 16. Thank you Saint Duke.

Comment

I went to Zones one year and neither one of my coaches came with me (it was my first time going). I was a total wreck being by myself (none of my team qualified) and so many girls there found out I was alone and really helped me out. My parents and aunt and uncle were there but it's really nice to have another horsey person there to give you a hand.

I almost always had a blast just hanging out with my team on show weekends whether we kicked butt or got ours kicked. You sure learn a lot about a lot while doing IHSA. I wouldn't trade my experience or time there for anything.

Comment

We went out to BYU for a show and ended up at TGI Fridays as a team for dinner. Everyone was ordering adult-beverages as the waiter went around the table, he carded the first four people and then just sorta stopped. I ended up being last and he just assumed I also wanted a margarita or a daquirri. Almost took him up on it but felt bad and told him I was only 19. Watching him just about crap his pants was hillarious.

Our team was scattered across a few barns - me and the other two Open riders split between three of the nice H/J barns in the area, the rest of the English team and a few of the Western team at the mule-lady's barn and a few assorted folks at other places. Having horsey friends to lean on that weren't "barn" friends were great for when I needed to vent about life at a show barn.
                                  Whee!

Comment

I rode with Kutztown during the late 80's & early 90's. Most of the time we rode at Jack Benson's Old Briarwood-I had a couple of favorites: one was Tiffany-grey mare awesome horse-dropped my outside stirrup said the "s"word just as I was passing the judge Jeff Ayers-Tiff never missed a beat and Jeff I heard giggling to himself. Still won the class. But my best ride was PJ who was a saint and had been used in sooo many classes that day but still gave me 100 percent. I placed third. Another favorite was Wilson COllege Oki (I think) this horse went the same speed ALL THREE GAITS! Its really embarassing (or a hoot)when you have everyone from all the schools clicking to get your horse to move! Back then we were allowed to carry crops only. No Spurs.

Comment

yup, duke, he was a great horse, just passed away two years ago and yes he was from stony brook. Our favorite is a big grey at Bergen an equestrian center in new jersey, for some reason can't remember his name, want him to come home with us! And then of course stony brooks Oreo and black and white large that jumps the best!

Comment

Originally posted by FarnleyGarnet View Post
                                        LOVED Prima. I remember Maloney but never got to ride him. Didn't Virginia Intermont have an older grey named Easy Chair? Or maybe it was Couch... something really comfy sounding... he always seemed to go around nicely.

Awww I LOVED Maloney! I drew and asked Eddie how he was and he was like "awww honey, you got Maloney? You put yo momma on Maloney..." <3

Funny coaches story- I went to Goucher and everywhere we went (restaurant, show, airplane) we had them announce that it was the coaches birthday. She always laughed with us but it was always fun to see her face get a little red and all the people wish her a happy bday on the way out : )
                                        Last edited by pandasgirl; Sep. 25, 2008, 09:08 PM. Reason: story addition

Comment

Working...
                                        X