• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Comfy saddle desired for very wide haflinger and 5'4" rider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfy saddle desired for very wide haflinger and 5'4" rider

Hello, I need to get something comfy to trail ride in my wide haflinger. The flat, cob broadback synthetic has got to go, I did the splits for 2.5 hours, and it was pretty painful with limited padding. What is good, comfy, and suitable for trail riding with a few fun logs in there to jump along the way? What type of Duett has a narrow twist? If you have great advice, please email me! thanks

Talk you the folks at Trumbull Mountain
    http://www.trumbullmtn.com/
    They are great to work with (sell Duetts) and can give you the best info on these saddles

Comment

Definitely talk to Trumbull Mtn - Kitt is awesome!

However, as the owner of a very wide WB, I will say that if you have a broad horse, you will never get a narrow twist to fit it. It's like putting a teepee on a keg. Just doesn't mesh.

That said, I am sure you can find something that works better than what you currently have. My mare's saddle is comfy but definitely NOT what I prefer, being of the very narrow hipped build. Such is the price I pay for her though - and I wouldn't trade for anything.

Comment

Another vote for the Duett... you an go straight to Nancy at www.duettsaddles.com and she'll walk you thru measuring & arranging for trials.

Uber comfie, well made, reasonable price.
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Agreed on Duett. However, as others have said, you just can't make a horse that is wide as a house feel narrow.

Comment

Others have done a nice job explaining the fundamental geometry problem of narrow twist + ride horse...but now I'm going to be contrary and say there's more to that story. They're absolutely right that getting a super-narrow twist on top of a wide horse is probably a bridge too far, but some brands are using engineering/design features that can get you into a narrowER twist that certain other brands.

First of all, I wouldn't get your hopes up about Duett. Most of their saddles are made with fairly wide twists. Granted, some of them are better than others in the department, but it's not Duett's forte nor their design priority. The Duett saddle that I'd say has the most invitingly narrower twist is a dressage model (the Fidelio). I do agree with ChocoMare's advice to call Nancy at Duett regardless; not only will she know the brand backward and forward (and yes, that means she will know even more than the wonderful folks at Trumbull Mountain), but she also knows her competitor's brands and will be happy to tell you which saddles to compare her product to.

Based on your description, I assume you're currently riding in a Thorowgood. So we'll skip that discussion. I will also assume that if your horse is wide enough that you've got it in a Thorowgood cob broadback, you've exhausted the Wintec/Bates/Collegiate offerings because the horse is too wide and/or too U-shaped under the tree points.

If you're determined to look for something with a narrower twist, though, and I assume you're trying to stay in the sub-$1200 price range, I'd look at these instead.

1. Smith Worthington - if the narrow twist is truly your second priority after fitting the horse, these are the people I'd talk to first. They build their saddles on factory-adjustable trees, meaning the SW factory can bend this sucker open as far as you need it to go. Because of the mechanics of how their tree adjusts, it is possible for them to maintain a narrower (not narrow per se, but narrowER) twist than some other brands that are building wide saddles using very different engineering/design techniques. Smith Worthington is a well-established brand that's been fitting wide horses for ages, the quality is excellent for the price, and--best of all--their staff is very good at fitting a saddle not only to the horse, but also to the rider. Save yourself some time and CALL them and ask for Kurt. They answer emails too, but because there's so many follow-up questions needed to talk about saddles, it's often much more efficient to call. I suspect these guys will have something in their Smith Worthington Mystic lineup, or one of their sale saddles, that you'll be thrilled with. Although if you hunt around, these SW saddles can also be found on the used market for ridiculously great prices, and SW will adjust used saddles to template for less than $200 (and that includes return shipping back to you!).

2. Thornhill - Like Duett, these are Argentine-made saddles designed for folks on a budget. To be frank, some of them even appear to be built on the same trees, or with the same design elements, as Duett. But there's a critical difference: some of the Thornhill tack has a fairly narrow twist. Talk to Cordia Pearson about the Thornhill Coco, Thornhill Germania Spring, and Thornhill Berlin, all of which are $1300 or less. http://saddlefitter.com/hunt_and_jump_saddles.htm

3. If you can find a suitable Prestige saddle and pay to get it widened, that can work beautifully for the wider-load horses too. Because of the mechanics and build of the tree points in Prestige saddles, they tend to be very A-shaped when they're adjusted to narrower sizes but become more U-shaped as they are widened out. These saddles tend to retail at $2200 and up, so if you are lucky enough to find a used one in your budget, it can be a lot of saddle for the money; I've certainly seen used Prestige jump and AP saddles for $1200 and less, especially some of their cheaper or older models like the Prestige Red Fox or the Prestige Golden Star. VTO Saddlery adjusts these for about $250, and that includes consultation with Paul, the saddlery owner, who will gladly look at pictures and wither tracings to evaluate our horse's width.

4. For someone like you who is trail riding for HOURS, I can't fully and enthusiastically Tekna synthetic saddles--a brand that I often recommend for wide-load horses and budget riders. They have a lot lot lot to recommend them, but they're not the most cushy seats you've ever felt--not hard, but not luxurious--and I think the twists are on the wide side, although not as wide as the Duetts. In other words, they are a great general option for folks looking for a cheaper saddle for wide horses, but maybe not specifically for you. If you were serious about wanting to try one, The Cheshire Horse in New Hampshire sends them out on consignment. Their S Line saddles with adjustable gullets are better suited to flat-toplined horses, and their earlier A Line saddles were built on dealer-adjustable Prestige-like trees and are better suited to a moderately or very curvy topline.

Finally, I thought about throwing Passier on this list. They certainly know how to build a narrow twist, and you can often find older Passiers and have them adjusted to fit very wide tree widths (although it's better to start with a fairly wide Passier to begin with and only adjust a size or two upward). But these older Passiers also tend to have rock hard seats, and for a trail rider, that might be less than ideal. Nonetheless, there's your fifth option if you really need one.

Good luck!
            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

To assist with the hard seat issue, try a top-of-the-line sheepskin seat cover, there are also special riding knickers with foam or gel cushioning in all the right places

Comment

Try a newer Stubben! I was pleasantly surprised that their XW fits my fatback mare--with room to spare! And you can get the Biomex padded seat which is super comfy. I've seen used saddles with Biomex from $1,200.
                Click here for the Roxie blog!

Comment

In the same boat with the wide horse BUT have LONG legs

I am in a similar situation as far as saddle fit for my horse but I have LONG legs so most/all the Duett flap lengths are probably going to be too short for me. I thought I should research all my options so I have called a few saddle fitters/tack shops. I called Classic Saddlery (Lynnda) and she told me that the Toulouse saddles are built with a hoop (u-shaped) tree which is great for wide horses. With this new information, I was also able to order/buy a saddle with a long flap AND XW tree (on a budget). It's coming next week on trial so it will be interesting to see if it fits my table top warmblood. Fingers crossed!

Comment

I ride my haflinger in a treeless saddle from Ansur. She loves it and I love that I can also ride my TB's in it as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X