• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Paying for on-line show entries??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S A McKee View Post
    Why would you be asked to pay?
    The email ( which is quoted in the OP ) states that the fee starts 12/1
    Duh??

So I guess it's fine to ignore the email but wait till 12/1 LMAO
    WoW! Sort of a rude and not necessary post. Oh wait, you are a show secretary....that is expected.

Comment

Originally posted by S A McKee View Post
      Why would you be asked to pay?
      The email ( which is quoted in the OP ) states that the fee starts 12/1
      Duh??

So I guess it's fine to ignore the email but wait till 12/1 LMAO
      You must have made an A in the Horse Show Secretary Rudeness 101 class in college.

Comment

McKee is a show secretary? Things make soooo much sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseLuvr View Post
          WoW! Sort of a rude and not necessary post. Oh wait, you are a show secretary....that is expected.
          Really
          At least I read the OP unlike untidy wabbit

Comment

Originally posted by pds View Post
            If the online entry makes the show secretary's job easier then I think I would expect the office fee to decline by the same amount as the online entry fee charge.
            Exactly. Nothing wrong with building a better mouse trap and charging for it. But charge the person who wants to kill mice, eh?

It seems to me that show secretaries might want to do some costing and figure out how much labor this saves them. I don't think an exhibitor is going to enjoy the logic of "Pay an office fee and then pay for a form of entries that speeds up the office's work, with no reduction for the saved labor passed along."
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
              Exactly. Nothing wrong with building a better mouse trap and charging for it. But charge the person who wants to kill mice, eh?
              I think some are over estimating the benefit to the show office for this service, the main benefit might be that they are guaranteed to be able to read the entry form.

If it were true that you could walk into the show office and hand them a blank entry form and say please fill this out for me then you'd be making a really valid point.

The convenience to the exhibitor is that they put their information in one time and create entries from then on in about 30 seconds. They then get feedback into their account electronically from the show on the status of their entry/stall. If the show is set up for credit cards they can pay their deposit without mailing a check.

The system was created for the convenience of the exhibitor, any convenience the show derives is incidental.
              Last edited by sportdata; Nov. 17, 2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Sportdata whats the office fee for then? Why should people pay an additional fee when they are already paying an office fee?
                I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Smiles View Post
                  Sportdata whats the office fee for then? Why should people pay an additional fee when they are already paying an office fee?
                  I don't know why the show charges an office fee but Horseshowing.com is not affiliated with the horse show.

Horseshowing.com will begin charging a fee, as described in the OP, on December 1st to be able to keep the lights on and to be able to continue to provide the service. The terms of service, which anyone who signed up had to certify that they read before being allowed to create an account, clearly states that "The online entry service is free to the exhibitor for the time being. Some reasonable charge will be required for the service in the future". The service has been free for a year and thousands of dollars have been spent to make it available.

We understand that you guys get hit with a lot of fees, but the idea that there is any connection between the fee for online entry and those other fees is just false.

Each individual will have to decide if the convenience of the service justifies the cost. Some will go back to paper entries and if they do they may realize that it is worth it to them, especially if they value their time.

Comment

I find the pricing structure a bit confusing, frankly. Over on the Dark Side, there's a similar popular online entry system, EventEntries.com, which charges a flat yearly fee (~$10) for storing your signatures, coggins, etc. and allowing you to do entries online. I have to wonder if there wouldn't be less complaint if Horseshowing.com just did a flat-rate annual program as well, for riders/trainers who want to make use of it, rather than a somewhat confusing per show day fee structure.

Honestly, I think the ability to do entries online is far overdue, and is a great step forward for both competitors and organizers. And not just at the national level; I've loved being able to do entries online for the local dressage GMO, and all they've been using is a simple online form and a flat, per-entry fee. I just think that there needs to be a flatter, simpler fee structure for it, either a flat rate per year or per entry.
                    A Year In the Saddle

Comment

One of my short comings in life is not reading things thoroughly.
                      I guess this thread is a good example of that. If I have to pay for the service I will. I find it to be valuable service and a time saver.
                      Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

As much as I agree that I hate having to pay yet one more fee, the schedule info and count info for each class is priceless to our farm in that it allows us to plan a lot better without calling the show secretaries 100 times. And when you look at the fact that you probably spend more than $5 a day at a horse show for coffee (or is that only me ?), the cost is not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JenEM View Post
                          I find the pricing structure a bit confusing, frankly.
                          It's actually quite simple, and flexible. There are parts of the country where people do more one day shows, other parts they do fewer shows with more days. The per show day model evens this out.

We had a year of data to analyze to determine the fairest way to do this. People can put the show days into their account for what they plan to do for the year and they've made an annual payment if that's the way they prefer to do it. And it's an annual payment tailored to them, not one size fits all.

The minimum purchase that can be made is 5 show days, because of the way credit cards work, for the largest single set of users that $5 payment will be the only payment they need to make for the entire year.
                          Last edited by sportdata; Nov. 18, 2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I would frankly rather pay once and be done with it. As someone doing entries for multiple horse for a barn, I now have to go chase down a dollar here, and four dollars there. A flat rate option in addition to the pay as you go model, may be the best of both worlds. Now if it were only easier to get the classes to move from the list to the entry, all of the problems would be solved, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by sopha View Post
                              I would frankly rather pay once and be done with it.

Now if it were only easier to get the classes to move from the list to the entry, all of the problems would be solved, LOL.
                              I recommend you have your clients put into your account one time the show days they expect to need for the year, maybe at the annual meeting you probably have where you discuss showing plans, and then you can proceed as you have been. We may even be able to add something to help you manage this.

Regarding adding the classes, because it is a multi-select situation you have to click and release or ctrl/click (cmd/click on a Mac) to make the selections before dragging. Recently some message were added that will help you with this if the system detects that you're dragging an empty list of classes.

Comment

I know that Fox Chase Farm in Middleburg, has been using this service ,and they are not happy with the new charge to their customers ,especially since they offer a discount to people for signing up on line .FC is a small business which puts on high quality local horse shows,and Horseshowing.com is making it more difficult for FC to keep THEIR lights on.

Comment

Please keep in mind that this service is only for shows that use this show software. Equestrian connect can be used by ANY horse show, regardless of the software they use. Equestrian connect can be read, and if the software has made the appropriate changes to their system, the entry data can be imported directly into their software. Now that is easy! The yearly cost per horse is not that expensive and is very easy to understand.

The idea of being charged a different rate based on the length of the show is ridiculous IMO. The entry blank is the same, the information needed is the same, why would the cost be different.

Additionally, I personally believe, as a show secretary, that having a database online that is used for exhibitors to enter can be a HUGE risk. We go to great lengths to make sure that our exhibitor data is secure, having it online for this type of online entry system is a liability I am not comfortable with.

This is not the only software that provides class counts online. I actually don't know of any software to does not have this option. Some shows may not use it, but that is the shows choice and may simply be that they do not have a reliable internet source during the show.

Comment

Well, my 2 cents...I found the service mildly interesting, the software annoying...and really no more time saving than scanning and emailing an entry. So, with the fee, as small as it is, I will no longer use the service.

Comment

Originally posted by sportdata View Post
                                      I recommend you have your clients put into your account one time the show days they expect to need for the year, maybe at the annual meeting you probably have where you discuss showing plans, and then you can proceed as you have been. We may even be able to add something to help you manage this.

Regarding adding the classes, because it is a multi-select situation you have to click and release or ctrl/click (cmd/click on a Mac) to make the selections before dragging. Recently some message were added that will help you with this if the system detects that you're dragging an empty list of classes.
                                      Ridiculous suggestion. If the client leaves, if a horse goes lame & can't show, if their schedule changes - what then? Also ridiculous to ask trainers, many of whom do the entries for their clients, to chase them down for a couple of bucks here & there. I agree with other posters that this looks like "nickel & diming" to the clients.

You are being paid by the show managers. Regardless of your statement that the service may not be free in the future, you are not thinking about WHO your service is more convenient for... not necessarily the clients or the trainers, but the show managers. My clients who have gotten your email are already frustrated and angry.

Look - whether paper or email entries, show management charges anywhere from $20-$50 for office fees. Your program isn't perfect and, frankly, a bit of a PITA for new users and even return users. Don't charge the users, it looks like double-dipping on your part.
                                      "Socrates was a very wise man who went around giving good advice. They poisoned him." Anonymous...

Comment

Originally posted by Molly99 View Post
                                        The idea of being charged a different rate based on the length of the show is ridiculous IMO. The entry blank is the same, the information needed is the same, why would the cost be different.
                                        I couldn't agree more! Even if the A show is 3 days, I'm only going for 1 and its the EXACT same classes and info I send in for a 1 day C show, why should I pay more.

sportdata, I'm dying to hear your rationale on this one. Either way seems to me like you're creating ill will with your customers (the shows) and their customers (the exhibitors)
                                        http://alumnitoc.webs.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X