• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hits Ocala or WEF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hits Ocala or WEF?

I might have the opportunity to go to Florida this winter (). The question is... Ocala or Wellington? Why or why not do like either? Any advice is greatly appreciated

I always say the same thing when this question comes up.

If I'm going all the way to Florida, I will keep going until I get somewhere warm. For WEF, I pack a warm coat, but I expect to only use it for a fairly small part of the winter. And a water bucket with ice in it is almost unheard of at WEF. Unlike Ocala.

Comment

Are you going to visit or compete? For visiting, I would hands-down pick WEF (bigger show, more vendors and oh, WARMER). For showing, it depends a lot on your budget - they are somewhat similar in showing cost but WEF is twice as long and in a more expensive area for hotels, restaurants, etc. If it were my first time showing in FL, I might pick Ocala as it is just a little more manageable and less likely to leave you shell shocked. Although your wallet will be horrified either way

Comment

• Original Poster

I would compete, but I am very interested in Photography so that is a main factor for me too. My friend told me that Hits is more expensive ( HITS Shows in general, not just Ocala) so I assumed that Ocala was more $$

Comment

I haven't competed in either in ages, although I still visit the show in Wellington, and I feel like WEF brings a new meaning to "more expensive"! Hopefully those who are still showing can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateHooves View Post
            I would compete, but I am very interested in Photography so that is a main factor for me too. My friend told me that Hits is more expensive ( HITS Shows in general, not just Ocala) so I assumed that Ocala was more $$
            WEF is much, much more expensive and could easily be double the cost of Ocala depending on what you show in and where you stay. For weekly stalls, Ocala is $200 and WEF is $350, and entries, hotels, and food are all a lot more in Wellington.
            In my opinion WEF is a nicer show with better vendors and food, but Ocala is a more realistic price and less competitive. As for photography, both locations are very pretty and I think you'll get nice shots wherever you go.

Comment

If you want to place then generally, Ocala would be better.
              Mendokuse

Comment

I'm biased because I own a farm in Ocala, but I compete both places regularly and vastly prefer Ocala. I just find Ocala more relaxing. It's much quieter, more tailored to the needs of the horse (you know, turn-out bigger than the size of a postage stamp?), less expensive by FAR, and just less stressful IMHO.

Last winter was wonderfully warm, I can probably count on one hand the number of days I had to wear a jacket between January and March; two of those days were in the same week

I still go down to WEF to compete because I am fortunate enough to have friends down there that I can board with and stay with which drastically cuts costs, but I really do love it here in Ocala!
                Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Comment

Ocala is less expensive overall. WEF is more money- and this late in the year it won't be easy to get a season rental or a hotel.

Comment

People get so " affected or effected " which ever it is,its not enjoyable to those of us who don't give a rats a$$.

People we know at other horse shows get to WEF and we have no idea who they are.

Not bragging, but our horses placed really well there, so the mystic is gone.

Could care less if we ever go back.

On the other hand we love, love Ocala, the show, the people the atmosphere etc...

Also we don't care about being seen and seeing....
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

While HITS shows are more expensive than other shows, WEF makes them look like a bargain.

Comment

I grew up in West Palm, so I always attended WEF. I liked it, and I still go down every year to see some friends who are still in the area, but it is so expensive. Not just the horse show, but everything else is including hotels, seasonal rentals hay ect.

After moving to go to college in Gainesville, I ventured over to Ocala and I have to say, its so much more relaxing. Much quieter, cheaper, good company, and good competition. It always amazes me when people say that the competition is so much better at WEF, because it really is all the same. I honestly have been thinking that the competition back home in West Palm has gone down hill a bit, but that could be because I'm not there all the time anymore. Not to say Ocala has better competition, but theres not so much of a difference anymore.
                        www.diaryofahunterprincess.wordpress.com

Comment

Almost can't compare the 2... showed in Ocala for several years and now live in Wellington.
                          Like someone already mentioned, housing for WEF is going to be really hard to find (even though not impossible) this late in the game.
                          WEF does make Ocala look cheap.
                          Footing at WEF is not comparable to Ocala.
                          Ocala is very casual, laid back- no night life and less competitive than WEF.
                          WEF is crazy busy, is very competitive.. and personally, I love it!

Will be happy to help if you need anything on the WEF end!

Good luck!
                          Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Comment

• Original Poster

bump

Comment

WEF! If for no reason other than there is a beach nearby.
                              Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

What division would you be showing in? What level and where do you usually show and with what kind of results?

Makes a big difference in making a thoughtful and helpful recommendation which one, Ocala or WEF, would be the best choice for what you want to do.

Also exactly what do you want to do with the photography angle?
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

When I saw this thread, it made me immediately think of this:
                                  http://equestrianbetches.tumblr.com/...compare-to-wef

I actually love both venues, but would agree with previous posters, they hardly compare. Ocala is drastically cheaper, far less to do, but great living options for the horses. Wellington is wicked expensive, near the beach with plenty of fun things to do at night, and the footing and condition of the rings are impeccable. From a picture taking stand point both are wonderful options. The big rings and palm tress make great shots in Wellington and a few of the rings in Ocala have trees and things in them creating wonderful and original backgrounds. Do you have the option to attend both? Spend a few weeks at each circuit, get pictures from both circuits.

Comment

I have shown at WEF the last two years and am showing this year too. It is an amazing experience, but extremely expensive. The grounds are gorgeous, every ring has different, and beautiful jumps, the horses just have that "expensive" look, and there are so many vendors. I would definitely choose WEF over Ocala. The weather is great most of the time, and every Saturday night there is a grand prix or some event in the big International Arena. Great experience over all.

Comment

I live in Florida and have shown at both venues, when we show we move to that city just like anyone from out of state.

This is my view on the two places, I absolutely cannot stand HITS. This is why:
                                      1. The show grounds is 10-15mins away from anything
                                      2. The show grounds is in its own ecosystem. Often very cold and very damp. It rains alot!
                                      3. Footing is not good.
                                      4. Amenities is not good. Portapoties not cleaned... we have an ongoing joke that our moms have to bring "potty" bags with toilet paper and sanitizer.
                                      5. Amateur jumpers only get prize money on sundays while at wef every class has a little bit of money and sunday has more money. I hated I could win every day except sunday and have a horrendous show bill while at wef if your consistantly good you'll always make money.
                                      6. Showgroundlive.com = never having to go to the show office at WEF, no lines, no stress, do everything .... EVERYTHING online from my iphone. Check rings, pay bills, do adds for tomorrow.

Yes WEF costs more, but my show bill has always been less than Ocala because WEF shares the wealth, if you have a good horse and are competitive it makes no sense to go to HITS where they pocket all the money and put none of it back in either the facility or prize money.

WEF has its other downsides, if you havent purchased a circuit stall by now you'll pay more and be stabled 10-15mins hack from the rings.

Hotels are insane, its better to rent a house, which there are lots and can actually work out cheeper than an ocala hotel room.

The show grounds is cramped, they are selling off land piece by piece for private farms with what seems blatant disregard for where they are going to be temporary stabling for the next year.

But I love WEF, I love that I can compete in the best place in the world, I can watch the best riders, and when it comes to selling my horse at WEF I can get the best price.

Best.
                                      WEF=BEST
                                      HITS=DISMAL PLACE RUN BY A MONEY GRABBING COMPANY NO TOILET PAPER!!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X