• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

INSANE DK SADDLERY SADDLE DRAMA! Update May 15

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INSANE DK SADDLERY SADDLE DRAMA! Update May 15

As many of you kind of know, I'm always one to push a certain brand of Canadian custom saddle. While it is pretty too look at (and the leather is really nice), as of last week, it has come to our attention that this saddle will cost us AT LEAST $900.00 a year. Yes, you heard that right, 900 bucks a year for somebody to fill the saddle's bladders with AIR! So if I was to keep the saddle for a good long time (which should be the case), i'd be spending a grand a year on taking care of this saddle. Now, we bought the saddle 10 months ago and it was never brought up to us at any time how much this saddle was going to cost us per year. If it was, we never would have bought said saddle. Second, we only get the saddle maker to come out 4 times a year (which is 250 per time) and each time saddle needs to get "adjusted." Now in between those four times a year the saddle needs to get adjusted, one of the saddle maker's reps comes out to add/adjust AIR. Now each of those times I believe it is $30.00 and that is done 4-6 times a year also. Now it wouldn't be so bad if this person was actually nice to work with. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I've been talked down to and left rude messages (one of which i'm letting saddle maker HEAR FOR HIMSELF next weekend when I go to Indio) because (I think) i am one of rep's ex student's friends. I think because of this, Rep thinks Rep can talk this way to me and get away with it. It is to the point where I want to get rid of saddle, but nobody in their right mind would buy said saddle. I'm going to have the dad look into a few things to see if we can get a refund and return the saddle (from what i've heard, the saddle maker can have some bad episodes and get rude and nasty, so that I'm kind of scared of). How would you guys handle this? I am just so pissed off about being taken on this (and the saddle wasn't cheap...over 4 grand). Okay, vent over.
    Last edited by Little Indian; May. 15, 2006, 04:19 PM.

Well I think you should try and get a refund on the saddle. It is so stupid to be tied to the b*#ch rep for $1000 per yr. Be rid of the saddle and the headache!

Comment

Holy moly. Does it need to be adjusted just b/c your horse's back is changing, or is it a problem with the saddle itself?

Can you get it restuffed with wool, since it sounds like you otherwise like the saddle?
      Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

• Original Poster

The saddle needs to be adjusted because the horse's backs are changing. Though moreso than not, the bladders (especially the left front one) seem to lose air. I am going to see about it getting stuffed with wool, because the saddle is really beautiful and the leather is wonderful.

Comment

Pretty sure it can be stuffed with wool at a one-time cost of less than the current yearly upkeep. Once it's stuffed with wool, updates are less than the original replacement.

Was quoted ca $500 by Broken Horn to replace foam with wool on my saddle and adjust to horse but am planning to talk to (and show horse to) the saddle rep at Indio before doing anything. While @ Broken Horn picking up some stuff for my trainer, the saddle guy showed me an air dressage saddle that they were reflocking with wool.
          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

hmm I think you should get a new saddle rather than keep that one and restuff it. The stupid saddle will have cost you so much more when you could get a different saddle custon fit without all this hassle.

Comment

Just curious. What kind of saddle is it that needs such expensive maintenance?
              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Comment

me thinks you are being scammed by the fitter.. i have an air flocked saddle (FLAIR) and it doesnt need that much work
                www.reidsporthorses.net

Comment

• Original Poster

it is a DK Saddle, the Malibu.

Comment

So, there are several different bladders and one of them is losing air? Not good. I'd get rid of it if they can't fix that ASAP.

Also, I thought the main sales pitches of the air/CAIR saddles is that the air is supposed to distribute itself to relieve pressure points , thus automatically providing a comfy fit for the horse. Why should constant adjustment be needed to air panels? Sounds like you're getting fleeced. Especially at $900 a year - outrageous!
                    --o0o--

Comment

• Original Poster

Sarabeth- That is what we were told when we first bought the saddle, that the air would be evenly distributed and not cause any sore spots (which my old saddle did). I've been told from a very good source that the saddle should really only need two major adjustments a year (and since almost the whole barn is fitted with either DK or Schleese saddles, it SHOULD NOT be 250.00 a pop). It apparently takes at the very least three months for a horse's back muscles to change, but they shouldn't be changing so rapidly if the saddle actually fit the horse the way it was supposed to. It just makes me sick to think about it. I am so over this saddle and the maker, I will never buy another.

Comment

Holey Moley, did you check these and other BB's for any feedback about these saddles first?
                        http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                        http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                        [url]
                        Starman Babies

Comment

That's insane...$900 a year?!?

Is there any way you could either get a refund or "give back" the saddle? Unless you're riding in a leather equivalent to...I don't know...GOLD, then $900/year seems way over the top.

You mentioned possibly getting it reflocked, do you know how much that would cost? It sounds like you have a nice saddle--apart from the air issue--. I'd also recommend contacting the company...because what they're asking seems ridiculous.

Comment

Saddles should not need to have any parts called 'Bladders'. Something's are just plain wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by LetsRide:
                              Saddles should not need to have any parts called 'Bladders'. Something's are just plain wrong...
                              Haha. I especially like the "dead" smiley!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bumpkin:
                                Holey Moley, did you check these and other BB's for any feedback about these saddles first?
                                No, I did not, but I should have. My trainer had hired the rep to teach some of the school horse kids (she was also bringing in her own clients aswell) and basically everybody got talked into either the DK or the old Schleese saddle when the saddle maker was apart of Schleese. This all started when Indy started stopping at poles because the old saddle was pinching his spine. I tried the demo saddle they brought over and Indy jumped his first fence in over 5 months and I actually felt him bring up his back and really work. So i was hooked. At that moment when we signed the deal (which dad read over VERY VERY VERY carefully multiple times) there was never a mention of this upkeep, EVER. Like I said before, if there was, I most definitely would not have ended up with this saddle.

I should say that the rep is no longer on my trainer's payroll

SummerStarlett --> I don't think reflocking the saddle would do much good. It'd cost more to have the whole saddle torn apart and then stuffed and re-done than it was really worth. It sucks because this saddle is not really sellable and anybody who has read this, is obviously not going to fork over 2 grand (which should be the re-sale value it it was actually sellable) when they realize that it will cost them an additional grand a year to keep it up. No person in their right mind would do that.

Comment

Have you actually spoke with the saddle manufacturer, or is this just what a rep is telling you?

Just wondering if the rep is trying to make some extra money on adjustments that shouldn't be necessary.

Comment

Little Indian- Sorry to hear about your drama with this saddle! My mom has been saving her pennies for a saddle and had her mind set on getting a DK Malibu. I showed her your post and she has now changed her mind, THANK YOU!!!!!

erica
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/greyhoundgal

Member of the OMFG I got banned clique

Comment

It appears that DK uses the Flair panel system. Other manufacturers use this system so Google "flair panels" and find out who else uses it and perhaps you can find someone else to either service you or tell you about replacing the system. Also, go to the Dressage board here and search "flair" and email people who have them. I looked out of curiosity and people seem to really like the owner of the company so you need to be dealing with him. Find out what they charge to replace the system with wool. He has already lost one sale based on this thread - he may not want to encourage any more bad publicity. I noticed on the website that they say you will need to reflock or adjust the wool panels every 6-8 months - I don't know anyone who does this so the company is obviously a little overboard with regard to adjustments.

Comment

• Original Poster

Cartera- the saddle isn't flocked with wool (if that was the case, it probably wouldn't be an issue). It is done with the Flair pannels, from what I have been told there is four of them. We seem to have most of our issues with the front left and I've been told countless times that it is impossible for it to deflate, but if that is so, why does this keep on happening?

Sport- we have been in touch with the owner of the company twice in the past week and a half. I don't believe he knows how rude the rep has been to me and I personally think he needs to know what is going on. This is why I am planning on letting his listen to one of the messages she has left for me.

Starlight- I need to say that I am the only one in a barn of 30 horses with these saddles deflating on me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X