• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone Have Experience With EZ Control Bits? Bit questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have Experience With EZ Control Bits? Bit questions...

I'm bit hunting for my mare and I could gladly use some input on some bits.

I was looking at this

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/stubbe...x?cm_vc=Search

Mare in question (or perhaps, hony/pony) is heavy and hard mouthed. Now, I'm not one to just jump into a bigger bit, that's NOT my goal at all. In fact, I've spent a great deal of time (a couple years) working on this mare's acceptance of the bridle. She was, when I got her, an overused polo pony who had some pretty gnarly things shoved in her face.

Right now I have her in a copper mouth eggbutt, which has been the winner so far. I have ridden her in my full cheek before and preferred that over the eggbutt, which is why I'm looking at the fullcheek in the link above.

I've always been a big believer of "if you don't know the mechanics of the bit, don't use it". So I'm at a loss. I'm a simple snaffle girl, or only have knowledge of the other bits, like pelhems and hackamores, that I've used (which neither of those, IMO, would work for my mare).

My small experience with Dr. Bristols wasn't fun, I hated them and am not keen on attempting it again, though like I said, minimal experience.

I've never used a bit with a roller before.

My next go to was something like a slow twist.

Any input would be helpful here. I'm starting to pull my hair out. This mare has been doing fabulously, but I feel like I'm at a turning point in her training and I don't know where to go from here.

TIA

Rachel

The joints of the center piece on the Stubben EZ control are designed to not collapse at all when pressure is applied. If the horse is carrying the bit softly, it has a little bit of play. If the horse or rider pulls, it basically turns into a solid mullen mouth. As soon as the pressure is released, it softens a little bit again.

I'm not a huge fan of mullen mouth bits for a tough-mouthed horse as I feel it is easy for a horse to lug on them, I tend to go with a regular French link or a lozenge link for the extra play in the mouthpiece. Maybe just a regular French link full cheek would work?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/jp-kor...x?cm_vc=Search
    Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Yes, this bit will lock up if your horse leans on it. Making it pretty effective for grabbing ahold and freight training, I think. Just made my horse trip. Weird.

Comment

I had no success with this bit. All it does is lock up into what is essentially a mullen mouth. Last time I checked, if you need control, turning a 3 piece jointed into a mullen doesn't really give you more control. I have a freight train type horse and he just said "golly gee thanks" and hung on it. There was no control, let alone "EZ" control. So far we have the most success with a pelham or waterford. I was surprised he did, but hung right on the Dr. Bristol.
        ~Veronica
        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

I would suggest a waterford. They are good for horses that lean and the ball movement makes it difficult for them to grab hold. Used to use one of a TB that would curl and drag me all over the place.

Comment

I have one with a loose ring. I liked it when I first tried it, but I'm still deciding if I like it. If he is in the right mood, he goes great in it. But I'm also noticing that my horse tilts his head in it more. He doesn't do that in his 3 ring Watson bit that I use for jumping, so I'm sure it isn't physical. I can't decide if it is his latest form of evasion or something encouraged by the shift of pressure to the bars of his mouth.

Comment

A slow twist, and if that doesn't do it, progress to a waterford.

I bitted up for winter-horse from a plain D to a slow twist D. For about a week he backed off it a little too much and was a little displeased with me but he's gotten over it and is working absolutely beautifully now.
              ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

Maybe your horse would prefer something more thinner instead of a slow twist?
                How 'fat' is your current bit?

If your mare liked the full cheek, maybe you could also look at a baucher (half cheek) bit.

Or a 3-4 rings elevator bit with 2 reins.

I just don't like slow twist bits.
                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

i loved this bit on the young horse i was riding because it was solid enough for her to learn contact and keep her from playing with the bit too much (she was a chewing machine in a normal 3-piece), but still had a little bit of play. that said, it doesn't sound like it will help you very much.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you guys so much

The full cheek I have is a Waterford, which I like, but it's not that she's a grabby horse, just heavy... If this is making sense. The Waterford helped but wasn't enough I guess is what I'm saying.

I did think of trying a thinner bit. I actually went to the tack shop to look for one and couldn't find one. I will keep my eye out for one though.

I do have a three ring I can try with two reins.

Good suggestion on the Boucher. I had a horse in one and liked it enough. I'll see if I can dig it out of the enormous bit collection.

And finally, I think I might settle with the slow twist. I don't like the sound of the EZ bits from what I hear, it almost sounds counterproductive

I'll pick one up today and ride her tomorrow in it and let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks so much

Comment

I have a very heavy paint mare that I ride who turns into a freight train with a waterford, but goes quite nicely in either a slow twist or pelham.

Comment

I have an EZControl and I like it. I bought it for a gelding that had trouble taking contact, and with the EZControl he is much more willing to keep a feel of the bit.

In my horse's sake, he was wanting to curl behind to avoid contact, but this is a symptom of a similar problem; horse not wanting to take contact...yours is just going about it differently and opting to lock the jaw rather than curl.

I DO think it is worth trying to see if your horse's issue comes more out of fear of the bit rather than being a bully. I could see a horse wanting to lean on it, but leaning is corrected with leg, not with bits, so I wouldn't see that as being an issue this bit would create.

I would also like to suggest a figure-8 noseband; I had a freight train mare who was being ridden in a super thin, straight bar snaffle with her old home, and still semi-out of control...the issue was the mare was just so sensitive, the she locked her jaw to protect herself! She also had fat cheeks and would bit her cheeks if she relaxed her jaw (cavesson pulled her cheeks into the teeth). She went much better with a softer bit and the figure-8...presumably because she no longer felt the need to lock up and protect herself.
                        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Success with a young horse

My experience with the EZ control was ditto to emeraldcity. I used it on a 5yo TB mare who was soft and easy by nature. She loved the EZ control, I loved her in it. It is not a "big" bit.

Comment

I have the EZ control 3 ring gag (http://www.clarkemckenzie.co.nz/stub...-ring-gag-bit/).

I bought it in a pinch because I needed a gag (KK gag I have was on back order at the time) but this did not do anything for me with the horse that I bought it for except let it lean on the bit.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks again everyone!!!

CHT: She's in a figure eight

I went ahead with the slow twist (they had an eggbutt which is what I bought) and rode her today and she was lovely, I only rode her for about 10 minutes as she worked pretty hard yesterday and I just wanted to test run the bit, but from what I can tell she went really well in it. really well.

Not ruling other bits out, but so far, this one is the winner.

I wish I could find a place to try the EZ bit (or, any bit, really) without forking out the cash because they're a little spendy :/ I'll keep an eye out at the used tack shop for one.

for fun, here's a picture of the mare in question... just because I think she's lovely. She's not built super uphill, so that's where a little of our problem comes in. This might be where the boucher could come in handy.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...aplin/hony.jpg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/.../gracepony.jpg

anyways, opinions are always welcome, I'm really enjoying this, so thanks so much!!!

Comment

If you need a 5.5 and don't mind paying shipping, you can borrow my EZ D ring
                                ~Veronica
                                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• Original Poster

vxf: thank you so much, but she's so small I need something like a 5. But thank you so much for offering

Comment

Working...
                                  X