• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Adult Winter Rider Support Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go, Leo! My barn is closed (no riding) on Mondays, but I rode on Saturday and Sunday. Of course it's a lot easier on the weekends. My trainer was out of town so I rode my horse who is almost totally rehabbed from an injury, and then rode another horse who is just starting rehab. Temps tomorrow night are supposed to be near freezing. Yuck.
    It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

Yeah, day 1 and I rode......I almost didn't.... Anyway, glad I did. My mare's 4 and just starting regular work and I NEED/want to ride her 4x a week. We worked on WTC keeping her underherself and relaxed. She's doing pretty good --cantering to the left is challenging as she is not as balanced.

It went well---yes, it is cold-like 25 degrees and she is furry! When done I walked her for about 20 minutes undersaddle then threw a cooler on and walked some more.

I really don't want clip her b/c it gets so cold/windy/nasty and she's outside in a run (no heat in barn or arena)...Ugh! I do blanket her--she has a 300 T/O blanket on now and she's looks like a bear! Suggestions?

Anyway, thankful for this thread!!!

noodles

Comment

Winter is a pain. I work 20 miles south of home. Horse is 10 miles east of home. So if I go to work and then to see horse it's 60 miles round trip. I also work 4 tens. Nice since I have Sat, Sun, Mon to ride. BUT work days are really tough! I work from 7 am til 5:00 pm (if I'm lucky enough to get off on time) and the soonest I can get to my horse on a work day is 5:45 : ( Also where I board, I have to clean the girls stall and pen. She also eats out of big slow feeder bags and it is my responsibility to fill them. This is about 30 minutes of work per visit. At least we do have lights. Today was my day off so I took her on a trail ride. She had a great time though she didn't get to canter as much as she would have liked. I sure miss the summer!

Comment

I'm in! My normal plan is Monday, Thursday and Friday night, then Wednesday morning, Saturday morning for lessons and Sunday afternoons. This of course can change due to weather, dog shows, etc.

Thursday will be my first night this week and it is supposed to rain. I will only go if I know someone else will be there. My main friend I ride with may have to work late that night. Our trainer really prefers we not be out there all alone and it is too dark and scary for me by myself (we do have lights in the arena).

Comment

Count me in. Can I send someone my cell # so they can text "get on your horse!" at 7AM every M-W-F? I don't have darkness as an excuse, as I'm able to ride in the AM before work. Its just really hard to motivate myself to get up while its still cold and dark outside so that I can get all the morning chores done and still have time to ride. I did manage to make myself ride on Saturday and yesterday morning before work. Today rain is a great excuse. The next few days it will be 'no footing'.

Leo - the trick is don't even go home after work. Take your riding clothes with you , change before you leave, and go directly to the barn. Do not pass home, do not collect sofa points.
            Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
            Witherun Farm
            http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

some tips for riding during the cold dark week!

Hi guys, like all of you I am sort of struggling with the time change as well, and adapting my riding schedule to the lack of daylight. I ride on weekends and during the week, and cannot afford to have my trainer give training rides during the week but I've so far made it work. I have a few things that have made it easier to cope w/winter riding.

I live in CA so it's not super cold here, but even then I still do not have an indoor or even lights on the outdoor so all rides have to end by 5 pm. Fortunately I work for a company that is based upon letting employees work from anywhere, our number one product is GoToMyPC software, so I'm able to work from home if I need to and connect remotely to my office computer. I highly highly recommend anyone who has an office job to talk to their boss about letting them work from home and being flexible with work hours. For me, I go to the office from about 8 am til 3:30 (eat lunch at the desk), leave, shoot over to the barn which is fortunately 2 miles from work, and ride for about 45 min - all in all 1.5 hours with grooming and tacking up, etc. Then after I get home I log back in to work for a bit.

Things do come up however, the odd meeting that is scheduled at 3 and of course i can't ride on those days. If he can get out there, my husband will lunge "our" horse LOL or give him a turnout. So far, so good.

I discovered something really great the other day though, which shaved off some time. I got a pair of jean breeches (I think Equine Couture) and they are absolutely cute and fit great. So great I ended up wearing them to work with tall boots and a long sweater. I got about 3 compliments on them from coworkers ! Anyway, I went straight to the barn in them and just had to change my boots and put on a sweatshirt. It's the little things! Also contemplating tacking my horse up in his stall (the cross ties are somewhat far from his stall/paddock) to save time once i get to the barn. I seem to run into the people that don't work and want to chat, which is great but not when you're trying to squeeze in a ride.

Comment

The absolute best thing I've ever done for my riding (and sanity) is to change my work hours to 11 AM - 7:30PM. It means getting home later and not having dinner with my family, but having those mornings to take care of the horses and ride without needing to get up at 5 AM is a godsend. And I don't have to worry about it getting dark at 5 PM. The dinner with family isn't so important during the week as we're an all adult household with just me, DH and DD. I just make an extra effort to make meals for us all on the weekends. And if they needed meals during the week, there's time to throw something in the crock pot or pre-prepare in the AM for them.

My hardest day is Thurs, when I have a lesson at 7:30 AM at my trainers barn. That's an up at 6 AM, throw feed at horses, go to lesson, back at 9 in time to turn out, clean up for work, and then not get home until 8:30 PM. Its a long, hectic day.

Fortunatley, I'm also not addicted to television.
                Witherun Farm

Comment

Riding tonight. Helps to have an actual scheduled lesson with another person. Makes flaking much harder Fortunately I only have to hack by myself once every two weeks, so talking myself into riding doesn't happen often (talking myself into going to the gym when its cold and dark is a whole 'nother story, though)

I think the worst part of the evening rides is turning off the lights to the indoor and then being surrounded by total darkness as I dash to my car, afraid of the boogeymen (I know, I'm a dork). Whoever said they bring a headlamp is a freaking genius. Will need to put that on my to-do list!

Comment

I rode yesterday, but only briefly because of the wind. Tonight was perfect, no wind (very cold)....but my daughter has stuff going on at school tonight . Will try again tomorrow - daughter has a flute lesson between 6 and 7:30, but I can squeeze in 30 minutes before we go.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Trevelyan96 View Post

Leo - the trick is don't even go home after work. Take your riding clothes with you , change before you leave, and go directly to the barn. Do not pass home, do not collect sofa points.
                      So I guess this is the point in the conversation where I admit that I keep my horses at home...which only makes it even more tragic that I'm not motivated to ride!

I have to ride by myself 100% of the time, which is totally new to me ( just moved the horses home), so I think that is part of the problem. Also I'm used to being able to take lessons and horse show at least once a month. I can't afford these things right now so i'm having difficulty setting goals that aren't show/lesson related. It's tougher than I thought it would be!

I did not ride today, it was yucky and drizzly and my pony was wild in the pasture so I just did the normal barn chores and went right back to the house.

I think I need to start setting out barn clothes at night (breeches, NOT muck jeans!) so I just walk in the door, change, and go! I'm going to go set out my clothes RIGHT NOW!
                      ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Comment

Leo, I'm at home, riding alone 100% of the time too. And worse, I work less than 3 miles from home 8-4..........in my defense, my daughters extracurricular schedule is crazy, and I care for the 6 horses myself - my husband is in full time nursing school so he's hardly ever home and when he is, he's studying. So it's sort of like being a single mom *blush*.

Okay, that's it for my excuses .

Comment

Originally posted by Leo86 View Post
                          So I guess this is the point in the conversation where I admit that I keep my horses at home...which only makes it even more tragic that I'm not motivated to ride!

I have to ride by myself 100% of the time, which is totally new to me ( just moved the horses home), so I think that is part of the problem. Also I'm used to being able to take lessons and horse show at least once a month. I can't afford these things right now so i'm having difficulty setting goals that aren't show/lesson related. It's tougher than I thought it would be!

I did not ride today, it was yucky and drizzly and my pony was wild in the pasture so I just did the normal barn chores and went right back to the house.

I think I need to start setting out barn clothes at night (breeches, NOT muck jeans!) so I just walk in the door, change, and go! I'm going to go set out my clothes RIGHT NOW!
                          I can relate. Mine are also at home and I have to ride alone during the week, and I'll admit, as a wimpy re-rider, its a little scary for me. I did find that if I lay out my riding clothes at night before I go to bed and get into them instead of mucking clothes in the AM, I'm more likely to ride.

My best friend and neighbor just retired, so I may be asking her to keep an eye on me in the mornings now. They have a great view of the pasture where I ride, and luckily, she's a morning person. I always seem to forget to carry my cellphone out to the barn with me.
                          Witherun Farm

Comment

I rode this evening, following my rule of, "Don't sit down after work,change clothes and go." It does help to have a schedule, and Tues and Thurs are my weekday riding days. My boy did very well, and I'm so much happier now and will sleep so much better tonight. Rode alone, but it helps to have a lighted indoor!
                            Mon Ogon (Mo) and Those Wer the Days (Derby)

Comment

Good luck all!~ you know you are not alone.... today was mare's day off-but I went to the barn let my girl out and she got a mini groom session.

We can do this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
                                Absolutely, riding on a weekday completely depends on going straight from work to the horsey!!!! At least now it's cold enough to leave her carrots in the car while I'm working!

Comment

We had a great lesson tonight. The usual group of five, who are all fairly good riders. The jumping exercise was simple but required concentration. Two jumps, set on a straight line. Coming in on the left lead shorter approach go forward to get three strides. Coming in on the right lead long approach slow down, collect and do the line in four strides. This was the opposite of what the horses would expect to do. My flashlight was put to good use turning the horses out afterwards. And yes, going right from work to the barn is the ONLY thing that works for me.
                                  It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

So, tonight I left work at 3:50 pm and after grocery shopping, feeding buckets and blanketing to my 2 horses and then picking up my case of cat food at the feed store, I get home at 5:50 to feed the animals and have my glass (es) of wine..and my work e-mail that is still going.

Now I have dinner to make and brownies to bake. Ride in the morning.....laughing....so glad I found someone who loves to ride babies. I only ride on the weekend..

Comment

I didn't ride yesterday. But! I did ground work, in the arena, with a bridle. Does that count? Lol

Today my friend came out to ride my boy. I needed someone besides me on him. I'm so discouraged. But! After seeing her work with him today I am going to ride tomorrow and practice!!!

Comment

im in..here in bc it gets dark by 4:00.
                                        my barn has no ring lights either,so i have to work with during the day rides.i have the advantage that i do work evenings.except 2 days a week where i work from morning till 4 so by the time im home. its dark..aweather wise i bundle up for the weather.which lately is rainy,rainy rainy..yuck.
                                        do admit i have some un-motivational days too.usually its just when i have so much other things going on and feel more buzy then eva.
                                        if i don't want to ride ,but still want to go to the barn.i go just to see him give him a quick grooming and check over and a good apple or too and then just call it a day. my barn is 45-1hr away from home.btw.
                                        as silly as it sounds my horse actually gets annoyed/mad at me if i don't come to see him and say hi.if if its just to do what i have said above.

lastly if im there in the pouring rain and think why did i come in this weather.i just look at my sweet horses face and think oh yeah thats why..LOL
                                        http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

Day 1. I was luck. Weather went up to 18 degrees C (~65 F) on Monday when I rode last and there were 4 of us that all went for an hour long trail ride. This the point were I need to brag hahah this was my 4th ride on my new baby (also his 4th ride ever) and he took to the trail like an old pro. Only had one moment where he felt like he *needed* to trot. He was so good and all of us were prepared for the worst, even had a hunting vest tied onto him incase I can off and he ran away. I have yet to see him buck or try to run away; he has been the easiest baby to break.
                                          Now that I've got a group to go trail riding with I think it'll be easier to get out. Also, since it's supposed to get cold soon and the ground is going to free plus I have a baby and don't want to destroy his joints, I'm only planning to ride a couple times a week. Definitely makes it easier for me if I know I can procrastinate about getting there for a few days.

Comment

Working...
                                          X