• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mostly venting- coming to terms with horses getting to be the O word

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mostly venting- coming to terms with horses getting to be the O word

...the O-L-D word.

My guy will be 18 next year. 17 was bad enough, but he's still a mental 2-year-old, so it was easy to see him that way. He's recently experienced an injury that may mean semi-retirement to trails and teaching up-downers. He hasn't seen the clippers or a mane pulling comb in months, which normally makes him look like a big teddy bear, but now makes him look his age a bit. He still runs around in the field like a total idiot when the mood strikes him and has recently learned how to buck. But between the injury and him starting to look like a grand old man, I'm just bummed. He was supposed to be a magical unicorn and live forever.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
    Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Enjoy him, be grateful for the good years he's given you, and let him go on doing all he's capable of. Horses' healing powers are frequently astonishing, and vets are wrong as much as they're right.

BUT . . . keep your eye out for a prospect, too, in mind of the day when he will retire; and don't try to "replace" him because it can't be done. Your next will be someone completely different, and that's OK!

Comment

Ahhh I had a reply and hit post then it was gone...oh well. Here's to attempt #2.

I know the feeling. My golden oldie will be 21 in March, and I have had him since he was 9. He was also the energizer-bunny type (go all day/ tons of personality). This past year I've noticed him slowing down and semi-retired him when I got my 5 year old green-bean earlier this year. While it's taking me some time to adjust to seeing him in his current wooly-mammoth state I know he is enjoying just being a horse again. He has taken care of me for the past 11 years and has won me hundreds of champion ribbons, so it's the least I can do to give him the retirement he deserves.

Plus there's a bright side to having a golden oldie. You always have some to pull out and just go for a "spirit" ride on. The type of ride where you just get on and go for a nice canter through the pasture and not have to worry about silly spooks. So enjoy your old man and take him out for spirit rides if you can.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh sure, he has no life plan at this point, if he wants to be a trail horse and teach up downers (which he's really good about) or really anything else, he can do whatever the heck he wants. As long as what he wants isn't complete retirement to a field, which wouldn't suit him metabolically. He's wonderful and really the horse of a lifetime! I take him out for long trail rides bareback with a halter and two lead ropes and his version of spooking is to stop and watch the deer. That's just his personality- he's always been this way. He's very, very special. It isn't about maybe losing a show quality horse so much as recognizing he's starting to get to the age where he's the old bay gelding who kinda ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have a 19 year old gelding I got when he was 12. He was full of vim and vigor (and spit and vinegar some days) until he hit about 16/17. Over the last couple of years he has started to look a little o-l-d. It makes me sad. Even at 16 people who didn't know him still guessed he was a 3 or 4 year old. Now, I can see a little weight coming off of him, a little shag to his Winter coat, a little more white in his face... And he's certainly slowed down quite a bit. But, I still have precious moments with him. Even though I can't ride him very much because of my own crappy schedule these days, we still have bonding moments. And I *love* what Philadephia said about "spirit rides." My boy is often not sound enough to canter, but we do go on a ride about twice a month or so, just W/T, and they are the most enjoyable rides I have because I can just relax and take everything in (I also have a 9 year old - awesome girl, but not quite the solid citizen my oldie is, so I feel very blessed to have him for relaxing rides!).

Really, it's just about recognizing he may not be around forever (a hard pill to swallow), and then enjoying every minute with him from this point forward.

Enjoy your distinguished gentleman. These golden years may just be some of the best you'll have together.
          ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
          4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

The horse in my profile is 21 (I think he was 16 in that photo). He's pretty content being a trail horse, although it breaks my heart a little bit to see that "old horse neck" dip in front of his withers and his slighty saggy topline. Last year was the first year I didn't body clip him, but I ended up giving him a modified trace (sides, front/neck up to throat latch and his entire belly) because he makes an art form out of pawing in mud puddles and that GA clay just does not groom or even wash off long belly hair. He got some serious belly dreadlock action going last year before I took action with the clippers!

But we have a blast going on hunter paces, poker rides and trail rides. Our group mostly walks and yacks the entire pace (uh, and drinks from our flasks) with small 200 foot canters to jump the odd obstacle. Horses and humans alike have a good time.
            Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

My old guy wants to pace with your old guys!

Comment

Mine is 17 and I hadn't really thought of him as the O word... time flies, I sure have to keep that in mind.
                Renn/aissance, your horse sounds very special, lucky you! I love mine very much but he still spooks at every occasion, despite his age. Even stuff he's seen hundreds of times...

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

• Original Poster

I didn't want to think of him as the O word, until my farrier looked at me the other day and said "Renn. Four years horse time per one year human time. Do the math." I did the math, and thought, "Aww, shhhh..." Since he's so young at heart it's easy to forget.

DMK, your paces sound like a lot of fun! If mine will be sound enough to jump, and I hope he will, I should find a group like yours!

Comment

Mine is nearing 20 but does not know that he is the "O" word. He's sound and bright, acting like a spooky 4yo on chilly mornings. He still jumps 3'6 with ease and sometimes plays in the corners just because he can! I'm waiting for it to catch up with him but in the meantime I'm just enjoying everyday I have!

ETA- Adding pics of the "old" man
                    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24103913_n.jpg
                    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...28839749_n.jpg
                    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...71308497_n.jpg
                    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...14747389_n.jpg
                    Last edited by dani0303; Nov. 8, 2012, 09:36 PM. Reason: Pics!
                    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                    My equine soulmate
                    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Geez. I feel old knowing he's going to be 18!!!

I have no good advice as I am still coming to terms with my older horse being old....and he's 26.
                      Amanda

Comment

Years ago, my vet said in passing, "Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of that with my older clients." And I was like, "What?! I'm not talking about an old horse! I'm talking about this one!"

Like I said, that was years ago. I think he was 17 or 18 then.
                        I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

We just put down my former ch jumper. She was 35ish and had only been retired for 3 or 4 years. At her peak she jumped 4' as a 25 year old (She had never been jumped or shown before age 22!) and was nearly unbeatable in the jumper ring. After seeing how well she did as a "senior", I'm much less worried about my 22 yr old ottb (who looks and acts like a 12 yr old).

Regardless, I always consider it an honor to own an older horse. I enjoy being able to ensure a good retirement and happy ending.

Comment

I have my little old guy, he's supposed to be about 20 now, but the vet thinks he's probably closer to 23-24.

I've basically retired him because of bad arthritis....and well, a rather frustrating personality. I've had him for 11 years and he was always really difficult...quite a jerk actually. Around 15 he really seemed to mellow out. Except his version of mellow is only just approaching normal horse behaviour. I've always said he was perfect 80% of the time, naughty 15%, and downright possessed 5% of your rides.

Anyways, I finally gave up and let him be. He generally seems happier, he gets to hang out with his mare and be fat and hairy. But I wish I could look back on my time with him the way the rest of you all seem to. I do love him, he's my first horse and all...but...well, he's a jerk. He even kicked me this past weekend.
                            Oh well. He's rather cute all fluffy, and his little white star is slowly spreading across his entire face

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                              Geez. I feel old knowing he's going to be 18!!!

I have no good advice as I am still coming to terms with my older horse being old....and he's 26.
                              Ah, but you haven't aged a day, right? May you have many more happy and healthy years with your grand old man!

Dani, what a handsome guy you have! I love the last pic especially.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have experienced a bit of shock when the O-word was mentioned.

Comment

I try not to think of the "O" word in relationship to my mare. She is 17 this year although she doesn't look it. She's a redhead TB mare and is ridden regularly. She competes in low level CT's, musical freestyle dressage, Actha rides, hunter paces. She even team pens. She is pretty been there done that, but can have an occasional TB moment. I know in the back of my mind that if I plan to ride into older age(currently 58), I need to be looking for a younger prospect to be bringing along to step up when my girl needs to retire.

Comment

My old man is 25 going on 26 here soon (He's the one in my second link below). I got him in 2000 and taking him everywhere with me, including college. I had him semi-retired 3 years ago and then retired a year later. But recently I went to his farm and he was bored and lacking something to do, so I brought him over the mountain to me and he's been great. He is much happier having a job and doing something, he even carted my fat butt around a 2'3 course at a show last weekend and I don't think you'd see him any happier!

You're boy will be happy to have a job, even if its trail riding and up/down lessons! They old guys are special and enjoy him! This is his chance to teach all the knowledge he has learned from you to the younger generation!!
                                  Calm & Collected, 13, OTTB
                                  Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 17, OTTB
                                  Little Bit Indian, 29, TB
                                  Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Comment

My old man is 20 this year and I've had him since he was late 3. He has some navicular issues and is sound enough to flat occasionally but not jump. He is the grand old man of the farm and I get sad sometimes when he's having a stiff day or his neck looks thinner than it did when he was fit.

But on the bright side, just think of the gift you are giving your horse -- a happy old age and down time when he can enjoy it. I am lucky to be able to do this for my old guys and still have a youngster to ride seriously -- but if I had to choose, the old guy would stay! Riding him is like having an old friend you can not see for five years and pick right up where you left off -- complete understanding and harmony, even if it's not quite what it used to be.

Mine is still pretty sassy. I made the mistake of trotting him over a pole on the ground the last time I rode him. He cleared it by about 3'6 and was sore for 2 days -- but he LOVED it. Hilarious! But no more poles for him, the old legs just aren't up for those massive leaps.

Comment

Originally posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
                                      Regardless, I always consider it an honor to own an older horse. I enjoy being able to ensure a good retirement and happy ending.
                                      Yes, I lost my two old ponies at 27/28 over the last few years and my old corgi a few weeks ago. It really sucks losing them, but it's also a nice feeling knowing they had a good home to the very end. But I really want one of mine to make it into the 30's. And then go lay down one day and take a nap and not get up. It would be nice to have just one of my animals have that happiest of endings.
                                      Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

My heart horse is 18 and after trying to bring him back to fitness many times after many injuries and major illnesses I finally just retired him and now he just hangs out and watches his younger brother learning how to be an event horse. I had my farrier pull his shoes last week, I guess it's official.

It does make me sad to see his wooly self age. He is a one-of-a-kind and my true heart horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X