• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

USEF Dismisses Protest Against Mandarino

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amberhill View Post
    - Please read my release carefully. We produced the full report to the CEO of USEF. We did not produce it to the protester because it is a private document that was part of other matters that did not concern After sending the report to the CEO of USEF, USEF declined to bring its own charges... chose to proceed with the protest on her own and it was found to be unsubstantiated because she was unable to present any evidence of a violation of USEF rules. I hope this clarifies things for the many people who do not understand the USEF protest versus charge process. Please feel free to call me at my office at 434-979-0049 with further questions.
    Just in case past results are an indicator of future performance ....

wooooowoooooo...I'll go get the wine, somebody grab the popcorn.
    Last edited by findeight; Nov. 12, 2012, 08:12 AM. Reason: Edited to remove name, avoid trashing one who did the right thing.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by findeight View Post
      This is kind of complicated because...

USEF is not a law enforcement agency and has very limited power to act as such. It's a hobby club. Alot of people seem to think they should do something they just cannot do or use tools they just don't have.

State and local jursidictions vary but most treat livestock as personal property. It was her Pony.

That local trainer question posed way back is meaningless because USEF only regulates USEF rated shows and USEF members-that local trainer can do whatever they want.

I know, it sucks. But it has to be proven and would not have gone anywhere in the civilian judicial system either. IIRC local officials declined to be involved.

There is such a thing as karma, however, administered by the higher powers that be and unrestricted.
      What a hobby club can do, irrespective of any quasi-law enforcement functions, is deny membership including for reasons like "uncooperativeness" and "bad sportsmanship." Without delving into whether either of those were present in this case, as a members-only club the USEF does have the power to admit/deny membership.
      ~Veronica
      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

• Wouldn't this be easier if Mandarino said what she was injecting Humble with when he suddenly dropped to the ground and then died? Amber Hill, aka Mandarino, what was in that needle?

If the overriding concern was for your pony, Humble, it would seem obvious that you would want to get to the bottom of it. If it was an innocent injection, doesn't that say that something was horribly wrong? Shouldn't that be made public for the good of all equines?

Comment

Just in case past results are an indicator of future performance ....

wooooowoooooo...I'll go get the wine, somebody grab the popcorn.

Hey F8, would you kindly omit the amber hill post that uses real names?

I think the first post by amber hill farms was way, way out of line and I asked the Mods to redact it.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

When they are at the grounds for day, weeks or even months? Yes, that would be difficult to imagine.

But, again, USEF is a hobby club with no law enforcement ability or jurisdiction to operate as a civil or criminal court. Even if they throw the book at violaters, all they can do is ban them from USEF activities. Some of those on the hearing commitee are not any happier with what they have to rule then we are. Really.

Have heard some rumblings yet to be published hearing results include some pretty stiff penalties for repeat offenders. We'll see.
            So how many injections are horses requiring say,over a 2 week show? So many that it would be cost prohibitive to have a vet administer them? If so IMHO they should be given some time off.
            I do realize that injecting horses has become routine, however, that has resulted in a dead pony. This is not rocket science. There is a way to prevent this from occurring. Will USEF have the balls to address the problem pro-actively? I really hope so, but I'm not holding my breath..

Comment

• Originally posted by amberhill View Post
              Tamara Leigh Tucker - Please read my release carefully. We produced the full report to the CEO of USEF. We did not produce it to the protester because it is a private document that was part of other matters that did not concern [the protester]. After sending the report to the CEO of USEF, USEF declined to bring its own charges. [The protester] chose to proceed with the protest on her own and it was found to be unsubstantiated because she was unable to present any evidence of a violation of USEF rules. I hope this clarifies things for the many people who do not understand the USEF protest versus charge process. Please feel free to call me at my office at 434-979-0049 with further questions.
              An attorney engaging in a conversation with mostly anonymous posters on a public forum. Alrighty then
              Last edited by Moderator 1; Nov. 13, 2012, 04:05 PM. Reason: quote
              "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
              Rainy
              Stash

Comment

• If I were Adequan, I would want to PERSONALLY get to the bottom of this since it could conceivably hurt sales and marketing with the public thinking that this routine inject-able could cause instant death. This is a serious business threatening assertion.
                The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

• What does Mandarino think she is accomplishing by not letting go? I don't see that her recent activities are doing anything other than giving her more bad press.

Comment

• Originally posted by mvp View Post
                    Hey F8, would you kindly omit the amber hill post that uses real names?

I think the first post by amber hill farms was way, way out of line and I asked the Mods to redact it.
                    I took the name out...as I should have done before quoting the body of the post. I was a little gobsmacked she came on here and was so in our faces, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
                      So how many injections are horses requiring say,over a 2 week show? So many that it would be cost prohibitive to have a vet administer them? If so IMHO they should be given some time off...
                      Try 3 weeks to 3 months.

Shows today are grouped into circuits running for months at the same venue (WEF, Ocala, Gulfport) or grouped with other nearby venues (KHP and Brownland, the east coast summer schedual, Indoors) to cut down on hauling expenses and avoiding hundreds, even thousands of miles back and forth each week and too many hours/days in the trailer (not to mention $4 a gal for diesel). Horses don't show every single week but stay with the road string.

There are injections like Adequan and Legend that need to be given at regular, vet approved intervals while that horse is on the road most barns are capable of administering themselves

I don't believe for a heartbeat this was caused by Adequan, that lawsuit would already have been filed. Whole thing stinks and that was magnified when she came on here the other day dragging in the name of the protester and bragging there was no proof and she was not required to provide protester with any.

Karma can be a bitch though.

Comment

• We were getting into some personal commentary and direct accusations that have not been substantiated, so we had to remove some posts.

Thanks,
                        Mod 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
                          Should these questions and concerns which are being raised and discussed here be addressed to USEF? It would seem to me if they received letters asking about the lack of clarity in their ruling, asking about the lack of information forthcoming from them about the situation, and about the poor reasoning, about the 'hole' in their rules etc, from many people, it might be something they would begin to address in the future.

Will anyone be writing letters?

I sent an email to the President, CEO and Director of Regulation for the USEF over a week ago expressing my disappointment with this ruling and have not received any reply. I didn't expect much but was at least hoping for a "thanks for taking the time to write, we appreciate your feedback."

Comment

• Originally posted by adlgel View Post
                            I sent an email to the President, CEO and Director of Regulation for the USEF over a week ago expressing my disappointment with this ruling and have not received any reply. I didn't expect much but was at least hoping for a "thanks for taking the time to write, we appreciate your feedback."
                            I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a response to your letter from the USEF.

Comment

• Oh boy. Elizabeth Mandarino is now adding the protester related to the Humble incident and another protester to her previously filed conspiracy and defamation lawsuit that includes ratemyhorsepro.com, and various anonymous internet posters here on COTH. Will the madness never end?

Comment

• In reference to the above post wherein Mandarino is reported to be going after the person who filed the USEF protest:

And Another Thing!

Mods! I PM'd y'all twice-- Two X... more than once-- about redacting the posts that mention the protester by name.

You'll remember my logic: The USEF offers that person anonymity, presumably to create no barrier to having its own rules enforced as best they can. Mandarino, most likely with an axe to grind, has given the protestor's name here.

If you don't remove that identifying information, you are thwarting the good intention (and good idea) of the USEF's. You are being used by Mandarino as well. I don't care about that (though it's kind of lame), but I do care about anyone making it harder to enforce the rules already on the USEF's books.

Would you guys kindly redact those posts or, if you have a reason not to do that, explain to me what that is? Here is fine; by PM is fine.

Thanks for your consideration,

-mvp
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Mandarino has the protester's name from the USEF documentation as well and was fully aware of who the protester was from basically Day 1 so I don't think COTH can be blamed for providing her with that information. I didn't think there was an expectation that USEF was keeping the protester anonymous.

See ratemyhorsepro where the documentation on the USEF's ruling has been released as well as the report that this protester and another are being added to her lawsuit.

Comment

• USEF is bound by its laws/regulations. If you want them changed, petition to have them changed for future events.

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to petition the show to ban Mandarino from showing there for "x" years. Shows up here do that if they feel a trainer is not showing proper standards of Horsemanship regardless of what the association decides.
                                    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• We removed the name of the protester as a courtesy, as it was not included in the USEF's press release(s) regarding the protest, though it is included in other content/news coverage re: the case.

Our apologies for any confusion.
                                      Mod 1

Comment

• Originally posted by adlgel View Post
                                        Mandarino has the protester's name from the USEF documentation as well and was fully aware of who the protester was from basically Day 1 so I don't think COTH can be blamed for providing her with that information. I didn't think there was an expectation that USEF was keeping the protester anonymous.

See ratemyhorsepro where the documentation on the USEF's ruling has been released as well as the report that this protester and another are being added to her lawsuit.
                                        On your top paragraph: You missed my point a bit. It doesn't matter that Mandarino knows the protest filer's name. In fact, I can see why the USEF might consider it just to reveal that. We should get to see our accusers and yada, yada.

It's that the accused can retaliate, presumably causing the protester damage for putting that person as a whistle-blower.

IMO, it shouldn't be wrong in the abstract to ask that rules are enforced. So it also should not be wrong or risky to personally step up and be part of a process about enforcement, either.

How many of us would file a protest if we knew we were exposing ourselves to prosecution in the courts, the press or among our peers? It makes protesting something-- the formal process of even asking if wrongdoing happened-- a high stakes game.

So IMO, no one should contribute to that-- not COTH, not Ratemyhorsepro.com, not bystanders who don't feel one way or another about the protester but would, in theory, like a clean sport.

And on your second paragraph: So Ratemyhorsepro.com published documents that name the protestor as such? The USEF made the same link in a public document?

Just let me know the organizations to which I should direct my rants, and I'll go there.
                                        Last edited by mvp; Nov. 13, 2012, 10:42 PM. Reason: Gotta have some Italics in the mix.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Many thanks.

You did the right thing, regardless of what other news outlets are doing. Good on ya!
                                          The armchair saddler
                                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                          X