• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

USEF Dismisses Protest Against Mandarino

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlphilli View Post
    Actually, Depo (medroxyprogesterone) and corticosteroids have similar enzymatic activity. This is dose and situation dependent.
    Neither has "enzymatic activity".
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by mroades View Post
      And if you think a licensed vet is the only person who whould be giving shots, well let's talk about making this sport even more ridiculously expensive than it already is, not to mention there are plenty of DVMs out there who would gladly administer whatever was wanted for $$.

And if you think dropping one on a needle only happens to non-vets...well, think again.

Sorry if this goes against the grain, but I hate to see the torch and pitchfork mentality in ANY situation.

DVM or non-DVM, "testable" or not, I may be in even more of a minority, but I don't think any horse/pony that is condition to show "needs" IV meds while on show grounds.

Comment

I don't think Mandarino is helping her case by the posts she is making in this thread.

A lot of people feel bad for Emma that she is caught up in this indirectly. No one is vilifying her. They feel bad that she has to deal with the aftermath of this when she really shouldn't have to.

Edited to say: If the situation with "Humble" were addressed properly, Mandarino could have used it to improve her image not drag it further down as she seems to be doing currently.

Everyone knows the Late Ted Kennedy had a lot of bad press during his lifetime. Some of it was very damaging. When he went up against Romney for Senate a number of years ago, he got scared and for good reason. Romney was beginning to garner quite a bit of support, enough that even democrats were willing to acknowledge that the man had a "future in politics". What did Ted Kennedy do? He talked openly about his past problems, admitted that he made a lot of mistakes but was trying to be better. Now whether you believe that or not is another matter, but he was savvy enough to know that he wasn't going to get anywhere by lashing out, getting angry or trying to snowball the voting public. Mandarino would do well to look to that example for ways to get out of a bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by amberhill View Post
          As COTH has been made aware, and wishes to ignore in relation to their press release, and for the record, the USEF had full access to the necropsy and toxicology which cleared my name before the temporary suspension was lifted and I provided evidence above and beyond what was required by the USEF. Beyond this, I can not comment as Amber Hill Farm LLC has filed both administrative and civil complaints, some of which are pending and some of which are to be filed.

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...efendants.aspx

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...-farm-llc.aspx

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...efendants.aspx

You seem to be a very busy person. But wait! There's more? Yikes.

In my opinion, you are doing yourself and your "business" no favors by posting here.
          Perhaps your attorney thinks it is a smart move?

Comment

As COTH has been made aware, and wishes to ignore in relation to their press release, and for the record, the USEF had full access to the necropsy and toxicology which cleared my name before the temporary suspension was lifted and I provided evidence above and beyond what was required by the USEF. Beyond this, I can not comment as Amber Hill Farm LLC has filed both administrative and civil complaints, some of which are pending and some of which are to be filed.
            Why don't you do all the ponies of this world a big favor and take up a hobby that doesn't involve "living" things? That way, you could not "accidently" kill one.

Comment

Ghazzu.
              I agree. Really no need for IV injections on the show grounds except in the case of emergencies. That list of (legal) junk given to those ponies is ridiculous. If your horse is too unsound or crazy to show without the injectables, don't show it or get a new horse.
              I suspect most horses would go just fine without all those meds.

Comment

IMO the outcome of this hearing has a secondary effect which could send a very discouraging message to future protesters.

Comment

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                  Limerick, just because she admitted to the police that she "killed" the horse doesn't mean she did it intentionally.
                  I doubt anyone thinks she killed the pony intentionally. If she wanted the pony dead the time to do it is not when the rider is standing there.
                  She did intentionally inject the pony with something though. Something she is not willing to say what it is.

Comment

Oh God. More stuff to come? Another way to fight with people in the public eye? Mandarino should STOP already and let things be. I agree with the poster who said the best route is to do a mea culpa and then start fresh.

I have never heard of an "administrative action". Does anyone know what it is and why one would be filed instead of a protest?

I am also curious why, if the USEF "had access" to the results of the entire autopsy, those results were not given to the USEF? How does one "have access" to vital information, and still not be able to get it?
                    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I am disheartened by the failure of the USEF to uphold this protest. Obviously, not having been at the hearing it's impossible to know with certainty what evidence was and was not presented. But based upon the facts that do seem agreed upon, this trainer injected a pony with something less than 2 hours before it was due to show. That injection killed the pony. The trainer has not refunded any of the lease fee to the family that leased Humble for Devon. The trainer left the show grounds leaving behind at least one other client who then had to show a different pony without the trainer available. None of these actions seem in line with what would be expected/desired of a member in good standing with USEF. USEF's actions to temporarily suspend the trainer immediately upon receipt of the protest, then uphold that suspension upon appeal, then seemingly arbitrarily lift the suspension prior to the hearing and then to not uphold the protest ultimately all make me wonder what type of decision making is going on in the USEF.

Comment

Next thing you know, ponies will be getting plastic surgery to pin higher in the model

I can't imagine showing requires that much in the way of medications if a horse is properly trained and conditioned. How old are the ponies/horses that are getting injections for their hocks anyways?
                        Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Originally posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
                          Just want to clarify:

Depo MEDROL = depo methylprednisolone

Depo PROVERA = depo medroxyprogesterone

Depo Medrol is a corticosteroid. Depo Provera is a progesterone (gender hormone).
                          And neither one is administered IV...

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby G. Weber View Post
                            IMO the outcome of this hearing has a secondary effect which could send a very discouraging message to future protesters.
                            Agree 100%. As I recall, the protester and his/her daughter witnessed it, and hesitated to file a protest, only because he/she wasn't sure of the protocol.
                            After this debacle, they probably wish they never did it.

Between this case and the Jill Burnell/Gray Fox Farms fiasco, USEF is not in a good place right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post
                              Next thing you know, ponies will be getting plastic surgery to pin higher in the model

I can't imagine showing requires that much in the way of medications if a horse is properly trained and conditioned. How old are the ponies/horses that are getting injections for their hocks anyways?
                              No pony drops dead on the spot for hock injections. Is this really what she is claiming?
                              Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                                DVM or non-DVM, "testable" or not, I may be in even more of a minority, but I don't think any horse/pony that is condition to show "needs" IV meds while on show grounds.
                                Amen to that. What does a show-sound pony NEED so badly that they have to have an IV injection at the show?

And while I appreciate that you legally don't have to incriminate yourself, if you refuse to say what you were really injecting, can't blame people from drawing conclusions....
                                Author Page
                                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Neither has "enzymatic activity".
                                  Progesterone (medroxyprogesterone) binds to glucocorticoid receptors, just like corticosteroids. It's later metabolized in the liver (both have enzymatic activity by activating hepatic glucose-6-phosphatase...an enzyme). That is what I was referring to. I would be happy to discuss in detail if you would like to PM me; I didn't want to derail the topic. I work in clinical research in reproductive endocrinology.

I agree!
                                  Last edited by jlphilli; Nov. 6, 2012, 02:11 PM.
                                  Originally posted by rustbreeches
                                  [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

Ghazzu, I'm completely with you on this. I show regularly and find it completely bizarre and depressing how it is considered acceptable by anyone that such a large number of show horses "need" an IV concoction of various drugs in order to show. The amount of drugs these mostly healthy horses are getting is crazy.

Comment

Isn't there a photo of the medicine list posted outside of Humble's stall at that show? It was pretty long and detailed, I believe.

A poster earlier stated that the lease money has NOT been returned to the family that was leasing Humble at the time when Mandarino killed him. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
                                        A poster earlier stated that the lease money has NOT been returned to the family that was leasing Humble at the time when Mandarino killed him. Is that true?
                                        I was the one who posted that and yes, it is true. Perhaps it was not legally required, given the way the lease was written, but certainly seems like the ethical or moral thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by adlgel View Post
                                          I was the one who posted that and yes, it is true. Perhaps it was not legally required, given the way the lease was written, but certainly seems like the ethical or moral thing to do.
                                          So would not injecting a pony and killing it..... but see how far that went..
                                          Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                          X