• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Prof vs. Ammy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prof vs. Ammy

A few weeks ago my mare was being very heavy and just overall avoiding my aids (but not upset, spooky, hot, etc) during one of my lessons so my trainer got on her. He made her trot around, got her much softer and bending, etc. she was not happy with this and tried to kick out. I got on when he was done and she was an absolute terror for me. She let out a huge buck, would kick out, spook at everything, jumped everything like it was 4' and just was just out of control and totally unlike her. I am admittedly very gentle with her and tend to "ask" rather than tell. It honestly just seemed like she had a mental breakdown and could not deal with the ride she got. She is 7 so not a baby. I know she should be able to handle herself, but it was just very shocking considering that she is not like that at all. She seemed very worried and upset, even after I got off. The next day we just went for an easy trail ride and light hack in the ring and she was back to her normal self. Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight as to why it might have happened? Trainer wants her to get training rides a few days a week, but if she is going to be this upset, and have a 180 personality change, I'm not sure that would be best right now. I'm probably rambling an letting my overprotective parent ideas come out. :/

Your horse was letting you know she didn't like being made to behave by your trainer, and that she thinks she can convince you not to make her behave either.

This is the kind of thing that can turn into a downward spiral pretty quickly. If I were you, I'd try to address it as quickly as possible, and that means a little "tough love" and sticking to your guns by calmly and methodically insisting that your mare do as you ask. Letting horses get out of work when they have little temper tantrums is not a good idea.

If it makes you feel any better about it, horses, like children, generally are happier when they know what is expected of them, and where the boundaries are.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My first thought is, could she be in season?

My second thought is, did you recently change the saddle or saddle pads?

Mares can be sensitive brats but they at least let you know when they are not happy

Comment

I have had trainers that get on, get the job done, but make the horse very difficult for me to ride (too up, too hot, etc), and others that would get the job done but make the horse easier to ride for me. Both were very effective, but one turned the horse into their kind of ride, whereas the other one turned the horse into my kind of ride. As an ammy I much preferred the trainer that made him more ridable for me.

That said, sometimes a horse just has to push through a problem and they are not going to like it. If you don't feel like you want to go that route and are willing to take longer to get to your end goal, then keep chipping away at it on your own. You will probably eventually get there, but it may take longer. If you want to push through sooner, you probably will have a ticked off horse when you make her really go to work. If you are doing it right, she should eventually respect that and get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
          Your horse was letting you know she didn't like being made to behave by your trainer, and that she thinks she can convince you not to make her behave either.
          This exactly. Since it has worked on you once, you can expect her to do it with more conviction next time. This can turn from a fluke into a pattern so some trainer rides followed by trainer supervised rides would be a good bet. She needs to know that bad behavior results in more work, not less.

Comment

Often, when a trainer gets on to, well, train a horse, there can be some disagreements and protesting from certain types of horses. Why? Not because the trainer is mean or rough, but because the horse is being made to behave. For example, if a horse is having a particular problem, when the trainer is on he may exaggerate the correction - overbending, a little more pace than you might expect etc. This might tick off Ponykins, but if it's a good trainer, it will be productive and pay off. Horse will learn what is expected and what is acceptable.

Here's an example - We have a lovely amateur horse in the barn that has really been around (USETs, Hunter Derbies, Juniors etc). He's very fancy. However, he's a bit of a curmudgeon. When his owner rides him, he has a VERY impressive bag of tricks. He trots on the way to the first jump in the ring, only does half a lead change, sucks back and won't pick up a good canter pace. Why? Because he knows he can and she won't correct him. Therefore, during his rides with myself or my boss, he doesn't get away with ANYTHING. Any resistance to going forward is met with stick and a poke with the spurs. That way, when she gets on him, he's tuned up, waving the white flag and ready to go win. Sure, he doesn't LIKE his training rides, but a horse needs to learn to behave and ones with certain personalities or attitudes may not always enjoy the road to good behavior.

Comment

It's hard to say what went on without seeing the ride, but I would be inclined to try regular training rides for a while and see where that takes you.

I did have a trainer once who used to just get my horse way amped up. He is a hunter, and she would get him going more like a jumper (her focus). Whenever I rode him the day after her ride, he was almost too alert, too quick to over-respond, etc. That said, I do not think it did any harm to him and probably helped him in the end. She certainly sharpened him up, lol.

Comment

Sounds like a mare in season to me LOL! The kicking out at the leg can be indiciative of a sore back and ovaries. Ask me how I know .

I just track my mare's heats and on the day or two before she's supposed to come in, I don't ask much from her, or schedule those as her off days.

If the mare is seasoned and it was a one time deal, I'd chalk it up to being in heat. However, if she's younger and green, then some pro rides may be in order to take the wind out of her sails.
                Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

I think she got told what to do, which was go to work, and she took it out on you because she knew she could. If you want her to do her job without fuss, I agree with outside__line and lucassb, trainer rides followed by a few one-on-one sessions with your trainer talking you through it will help you establish with your mare that you are boss and she is not allowed to get away with that kind of behavior when asked to work and it will help you figure out how to keep the tune going.

When I have ridden some horses after my trainer, especially if my trainer is correcting bad behavior, they can be a bit sensitive the first ride or two. After all, that is the job of the pro -- make the horse listen when it is going "lalala, I can't hear you!" But it is our job as the rider to build on what our pro has done. No we don't want to make the horse more defensive, but build on what the pro has accomplished so that hopefully, it doesn't have to be such a hard ride next time.

Sometimes I have found that I get a bit defensive and shut down when the horse that was tuned still misbehaves or is more sensitive than I expected. But having the trainer talk me through the ride ultimately ends up with both me and the horse taking a breath and the end result being better – because usually it was something in my ride that was causing the misbehavior. I have found it is so important to keep myself relaxed and not feed into the temper tantrum so I can remain effective and work through the problem with my trainer’s guidance.

Also -- it is not outside the realm of possibility that your trainer making your mare work made her a bit sore in addition to angry. And she might be a bit sore and cranky for a bit, if you let your trainer ride her more regularly, until she gets used to using her body correctly.

Comment

I agree with the majority here. She was pissed that someone made her behave and took it out on you!

Since you don't indicate that you were concerned with how your pro rode her, I don't think she was hurt or confused -- just angry!!

I'd continue with the pro rides and lots of supervised rides, as well. If you can't be the tough guy (which is fine -- a lot of us aren't cut out for that role) than someone needs to be. She'll learn to deal with it and will probably be happier in the end that she knows what is to be expected of her.

So in summary, her behavior would indicate to me that she needs MORE pro rides, not fewer.

Comment

I agree with the others-- the mare didn't like being made to toe the line.

Also, your pro didn't quite finish the job. By the end of the ride, your mare needed to be saying "Yes... and would you like fries with that?" In that frame of mind, your horse is ready to do as anyone asks, not figure out which boss she must obey and which she does not.

How to fix the problem? A number of ways can work.

More short but firm pro rides, more often. The mare needs to give up many times in a row.

A pro ride that has that last bit of "finish" to it, where the mare isn't just obedient but docile. This takes much more time and skill than the strategy above. It really *isn't* the strategy for many mares.

After the pro gets your mare compliant, you get on and push those buttons he just tuned up. That lets your mare know that the rules don't change when a new person gets on.

You don't have to create big physical challenges for you or the mare if you are skilled at creating the right mental challenges and rewards for her. In answer to your question, the person who gives the horse that "thinking" ride is the pro rather than the ammy.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

You said the mare was being heavy and avoiding the aids before the trainer hopped on? If your mare is not normally like that, if she is usually light and responsive. She may be hurting somewhere or maybe as others suggested inseason. In my mind that would explain her reaction to the trainer making her work if she was hurting and still PO when you got back on.
                        Just my 2 cents
                        M
                        Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Comment

Originally posted by Monarch View Post
                          You said the mare was being heavy and avoiding the aids before the trainer hopped on? If your mare is not normally like that, if she is usually light and responsive. She may be hurting somewhere or maybe as others suggested inseason. In my mind that would explain her reaction to the trainer making her work if she was hurting and still PO when you got back on.
                          Just my 2 cents
                          M
                          That's what I was thinking.

Comment

I have never had a horse be naughtier for its owner after I got on to help out, so that part seems odd.

I would agree with the minority that something was up with this horse; in heat, sore or something. Who knows, maybe she rolled on a rock and has a bruise where the saddle goes?

When I horse I know is acting out of character, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assess why rather than force them to suck it up. forcing them to suck it up is WHY horses try to get out of work as they develope a negative association with being ridden (they may not remember WHY they feel negatively about being ridden once the initial issue was resolved, they just know they do).

If it was my horse, I would have the trainer get on the horse a day when it was being ok, and see what happened and what they thought, then go from there.
                            Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I've had some pros ride my horse from time to time -my regular trainer & he got along fabulously - she is a demanding rider but does so softly, not agressively unless she has to be which w/ him was rare. I had an ammy borrow him for adult eqs & medals - she was a more aggressive rider and got him amped up. He had rarely if ever bucked after a jump but started w/ that rider... My horse is goosey if jabbed w/ a spur & he's kicked out a couple of times.. I would imagine your trainer has a much stronger leg, maybe goosed mare w/ spur once or twice and she remembers it when you got on. This can be a problem w/ some riders & their trainers... Me I'm at the point where the need for spurs and whip to get a good trot is nice...slow & plodding is fine w/ me right now... so for a someone inexperience or timid rider having a trainer leg up your horse to the point where it's scary for you isn't always a great thing - have that discussion and be frank w/ trainer about it -that way maybe the two of you can work on a training program

Comment

Sorry, but if I'm going to pay someone to train my horse, I expect said horse to be better for me when I get back on, not a holy terror. There are plenty of people to chose from out there who will take your money to ride your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomeland;6615004
                                  ... my mare was being very heavy and just overall avoiding my aids...

...He made her trot around, got her much softer and bending, etc. she was not happy with this and tried to kick out. I got on when he was done and she was an absolute terror for me...

...I am admittedly very gentle with her and tend to "ask" rather than tell. It honestly just seemed like she had a mental breakdown and could not deal with the ride she got...

...The next day we just went for an easy trail ride and light hack in the ring and she was back to her normal self...

...letting my overprotective parent ideas come out.
                                  :/
                                  It's not your child (even tho she behaved as badly as any sulking teenager reacting to an attemt at discipline) and she was not having a "mental breakdown". Just a reaction to actually being made to respond correctly to the aids instead of ambling around picking and choosing which ones she cares to respond to and knowing you won't make her.

The clue is in the fact you noted the trainer had her going softly. Mare was not happy but did not try to unload him, she waited for you to get on before she pulled that stunt. Likewise OF COURSE she was happy on that trail ride the next day because she did not have to do anything. Trainer cannot fix anything in a single ride and is right to suggest follow up training rides to get her more suitable for you. The idea is she will learn to be more accepting of the aids from him and then transfer that obdiance to you-and that is going to take time.

You need to rethink the obediance to the aids is optional approach if you want to go horse show or do any serious riding.

A little blunt but this kind of thing can get you in a jam...what if she spooks, spins and fails to stop or steer because she does not feel like it? Or choses to leave long and weak refusing to add another stride to the base into a combination? Or does not see the need to go near the roll top? You can't pick and choose when to enforce proper response to the aids with a reactive prey animal, they have to trust you and know obediance is not optional. Or you and they can get hurt...and you will waste a bunch of money on an inconsistent horse that has been taught they can be inconsistent.
                                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                  X