• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Showing the hairy pony hunters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing the hairy pony hunters

A friend of mine is showing her stallion at Octoberfest in Indiana this weekend so I'm taking my project pony, who happens to be a 14.2 hand arab.

I'm doing a dressage test and a couple stadium rounds on Saturday (I'm an eventer mostly) and then I want to show her in the hunters on Sunday so I can get in the ring a bunch of times. I really don't have any allusions of winning anything but any suggestions would be great.

This is a photo of me on her.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2089258...in/photostream

and this is a video of her first course earlier this summer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SK4...4&feature=plcp
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Pull her mane. Even as an eventer she should have her mane pulled. Take a razor or cippers to nose and just the long hairs on her ears and under her jaw. Make sure you really shine her up with a finishing rag as winter hair loves dust

Comment

• Original Poster

She shows with a french braided mane, I'm free leasing her so don't have the choice to pull her mane.

Like this, only without the stupid rider. Sigh.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2089258...in/photostream

Another jumping picture
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/2089258...n/photostream/

Comment

I think if you go in with the idea to have fun and get exposure, you'll be very successful. I'm sure you know that she isn't exactly a hunter "type", but she looks like a handy little mare who's probably a blast to ride.

As far as suggestions, what exactly are you looking for? Tips on turnout? What to expect in the hunter ring? It seems like you already have your bases covered.

Comment

• Original Poster

Any kind of tips would be appreciated! She does not have a lead change yet, am I better off trotting the change, holding the wrong lead, or getting it over a fence?

Should I put a martingale on her to complete the look?

Here's my turnout from the last time I did hunters
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/2089258...7622911441763/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
            Any kind of tips would be appreciated! She does not have a lead change yet, am I better off trotting the change, holding the wrong lead, or getting it over a fence?

Should I put a martingale on her to complete the look?

Here's my turnout from the last time I did hunters
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/2089258...7622911441763/
            Personally, where she's a "project pony" (that leads me to believe you're still working on stuff) and you aren't looking to bring home ribbons, I would attempt to get the lead over the fence, but if you don't get it, do a simple change. It's just my opinion, but I would rather continue to instill good habits and sacrifice a few points.

I'm not of the camp to use a martingale to "complete the look", but if you like to use them and the mare goes well in them, by all means use it. Make sure you adjust it properly to accommodate her higher headset, though. I wouldn't want to battle about that while in the ring.

Your hunter turn out looks great!! No tips there.

Comment

Get your running braid as tight as possible. Use quick braid or some other sort of "goo" to help minimize loose/flyaway hairs.

When I used to show Morgans in dressage and hunter, I would sometimes do two French braids; one would be the majority of the mane down to where there was a natural break (usually just in front of the withers) and then a second small one for the last part of the mane. Sometimes when you carry the one braid over that spot, there is a real tendency for the braid to start to pull out.

Practical Horseman once did an article on a French braid that was done sort of from the top of the horse, so it stayed on the top of the crest. I wish I'd kept it because I'd love to try it to compare to a "regular" French braid.

Comment

Hunter turn out looks nice. She is not hungary and you know that so I'd just going in like a schooling ride at home. You will loose more points for the break in gait over the wrong lead usually but if it's just a chance to get her out then I'd break for the change.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

If you're going to go show her in some hunter classes so she gets some ring time, spend your money to get GOOD ring time.
                  Trot the changes. Don't go nuts making it a schooling round, be respectful to the judge.
                  But you have two choices- go in as a hunter, and go for the hunter ribbons (which isn't too likely, with her breed- which I love, BTW-, her long mane, her higher head carriage) or go to get quality ring time.
                  In the long run you'll be much happier having got some things nicer with the horse by trotting a change, rather than holding a wrong lead so you can get a fifth rather than a sixth place ribbon.
                  I think if you go in with the idea to have fun and get exposure, you'll be very successful. I'm sure you know that she isn't exactly a hunter "type", but she looks like a handy little mare who's probably a blast to ride.
                  That's my favorite tip!

Just have a shaped pad (not a square one), no boots on the horse, and other appropriate Hunter turnout.
                  And hey, I LIKE the silly face on the rider- you're working hard at something!

Comment

Your hunter turnout looks great! I'd try to get her to land on the leads, and if she doesn't, then get a quick simple change. All judges have their own opinions on it, but I would far rather see a break in gait than to see a rider canter the next fence on the incorrect lead.

Also, I'm generally not an Arab person, but I really like your mare!
                    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Comment

Originally posted by Donkerbruin View Post
                      I'd try to get her to land on the leads, and if she doesn't, then get a quick simple change. All judges have their own opinions on it, but I would far rather see a break in gait than to see a rider canter the next fence on the incorrect lead.
                      I agree....if your goal is to school the horse/pony and not worry about ribbons. Under USEF rules, missing a change and/or breaking gait on course are both considered major faults, but I find that most hunter judges consider simple changes a bigger fault than counter cantering on course. Like Donkerbruin, it makes more sense to see the lead corrected and the horse maintaining balance...but that is where the lead change becomes a necessity if trying to be competitive in the hunter ring
                      www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                      Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                      Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

I think if you can stick with your plan - going for fun & experience - you'll do great! It's when you KNOW you're a)not ready or b)not the type and your competitive juices take over that you get yourself in trouble (unhappy, frustrated, exasperated with pony).

Definitely braid - the French is far neater than the flowing locks; and as others have said, be sure you, she, & tack are immaculate (incoming winter coat aside); acceptable tack (no boots on her, nothing ILLEGAL, which is not the same as 'unusual' (that's not the word, but you know what I mean)). I'd much rather see NO martingale, if you'd only be putting it on for style.

I also consider counter-canter or cross-canter greater faults than a neat, correct simple change (with cross-canter being the greater fault). If changes are necessary, make them look like planned transitions - as though they were part of a dressage test.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Carol
                        www.ayliprod.com
                        Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

She's a cutie! As long as you trim her up, she'll look nice with the braid. It makes for a much cleaner and polished look, plus you won't stand out as much among the hunter crowd as you would with a mane flying everywhere. Good luck and have fun!!
                          I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
                          Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
                          Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I went and we survived!

It was very very windy and while I seem to be getting the hang of keeping her attention in dressage jumping frazzles me enough that I don't react quick enough to an unfocused horse jumping so we had some difficulty.

She's quite brave to the point of leaving out strides when we school in the morning in a ring full of horses, but send her into the ring on her own while the next ring is being dragged and she's quite the looky lou.

It's also MUCH harder to ride straight down a line then I thought, you don't see many combinations or straight lines in lower level dressage and it was pretty evident that this was a weak spot.

Here is one of our better rounds over fences, I decided to canter in the last line and while I was looking at the last fence I wasn't making sure she was locked on so we had a run out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CI8UPHMzZm8#!

I waited over an hour for our flat class and then scratched it, and would have had to wait over another hour. So I'll have to work that out next time.

Comment

I'd love to see a Hairy Pony Hunters class offered.

Comment

Funny clip, but I think you've pasted the wrong link, hahah.

Comment

Originally posted by over the moon View Post
                                  Funny clip, but I think you've pasted the wrong link, hahah.
                                  I second this. Funny but I would rather see your round.

Comment

• Original Poster

Whooops! Now everybody knows what I watch in the mornings!

Here's the correct video. We obviously have some work to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MysC...2&feature=plcp

Comment

Oh that trot!! I love it!!

Comment

She's a cutie!

My advice, as an Arab person, is to tuck the tail end of her running braid in so you don't have a long braid hanging down her neck.
                                        runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Working...
                                        X