• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WIHS -- staying on a budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIHS -- staying on a budget

A friend and I plan to go to DC to see the Puissance and Grand Prix at WIHS the 26 - 28. Anyone know of places to stay on a budget?

Or, any DC area COTHers with a spare soft spot to sleep care to make a few extra bucks and gain the gratitude of two easy going twenty-somethings?

We are VERY excited...maybe we'll meet some of you there!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Nowhere near a metro station or the venue is going to be budget-friendly. Can I assume you are driving up? If so, that means you can stay along I-95 in budget-friendly territory and then use the Franconia-Springfield station which is at the end of the system and right off of I-95.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

• Original Poster

We're actually planning to take Amtrak from Durham to Union Station.
      "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Comment

Yeah, that's gonna require you to stay in DC near the venue. That is not going to be budget-friendly in any way whatsoever as you will not only have to stay in DC where lodging prices are very high but also budget for taxi fare, DC food, and whatever else might come up.
        Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

You check to see if there are any reasonably priced hotels ALexandria, VA, you could take the metro from there to the Verizon Center. As Lex says prices are going to be high near Verizon Center; or you could try some Hotels in Rosslyn. DO NOT book any cheap hotels in DC as they would most likely not be in a great area. Old Town Alex is quite charming-

in DC you could try the Crown Hamilton Hotel (hotels.com $169.00 per night / or check for Hotels in the Foggy Bottom area of DC..

HOtels.com has the Bethesda Doubletree hilton for $89 per night -obviously some special -it's at 8120 Wisconsin Avenue - call them ‎855-239-9478‎ to see how far it is from the metro - assuming you want to take metro to the show (sometimes - it would be on the Redline so allow for about 45min - to 1 hour to get to Verizon Center - stop would be Chinatown/Galleryplace.)

Comment

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
            HOtels.com has the Bethesda Doubletree hilton for $89 per night -obviously some special -it's at 8120 Wisconsin Avenue - call them ‎855-239-9478‎ to see how far it is from the metro - assuming you want to take metro to the show (sometimes - it would be on the Redline so allow for about 45min - to 1 hour to get to Verizon Center - stop would be Chinatown/Galleryplace.)
            IIRC Doubletree in Bethesda is around a half mile walk from the Bethesda metro station and that's a fine area to walk in. So not too bad and that price is a freaking steal for this area (the crappy Days Inn in Van Ness - a few stops in on the same Metro line - will run you over $150/night). The Bethesda station is on the same line as the Verizon center so getting there would be easy.

Comment

I've had really great luck with Priceline, but more in Philly than DC. You could give that a try, though. I wound up staying at a 4* in downtown Philly for about $60.

I live in Old Town and it's quite lovely - if you're a 20something and you want a nice place to have a drink after the show, it's a nice neighborhood for that.
              ---
              They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie View Post
                I've had really great luck with Priceline, but more in Philly than DC. You could give that a try, though. I wound up staying at a 4* in downtown Philly for about $60.
                Second Priceline. I had did a last-minute "Name Your Own Price" for $50 in D.C. and ended up in the Hilton in Old Town Alexandria.

Comment

That Bethesda deal sounds like a good one. You would be fine walking around Bethesda at night. Also Bethesda, Gallery Place (where the Verizon Center is), and Union Station are all on the red line. It should be about 45 minutes US -> Bethesda and Bethesda -> Gallery Place.

The only thing is Metro has been shutting down different lines in different places every weekend for the last... eternity. I don't see a schedule posted yet for the rest of the month. Does anyone have any better information? They post releases like this a few days in advance: http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/Pr...ReleaseID=5343

If it's just single tracking you need to add about 20-30 min to your trip, but if it says there is a replacement shuttle bus service, they are basically lying.

If you decide to try Priceline, you'll want to be in Northwest. I looked at their map. #8, 9, and 14 would be ok. Or one of the suburbs like Bethesda, Arlington, or Alexandria.

Also I am SO EXCITED for WIHS. I have been going for more years that I care to admit. Let's just say since I was 10
                  Last edited by BonneAmmie; Oct. 5, 2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: edited to add suburbs

Comment

You might also try some of the smaller boutique places -- Morrison House, Tabard Inn, etc. Not cheap but cheap for downtown DC!

Comment

You might also look into Ballston -- there are a ton of hotels very close to the metro station (orange line) as well as lots of restaurants. If you don't mind going a little farther out, there are a couple of hotels really close to the Dunn Loring metro (orange line) stop as well. Those would be considerably cheaper than anything closer in. Agree that if there's track work you would definitely want to spend more and be closer.
                      According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Comment

I know you'd be looking at at least $200 a night for the Morrison House. Probably similar or more for the Tabard Inn.
                        ---
                        They're small hearts.

Comment

Sorry I meant Morrison-Clark.

Last time I was in town (in the spring) Morrison Clark was around $120, Tabard $180 for a small room with shared bathroom. Still decent DC prices if she wants to stay downtown and they are both pretty cool places. They are usually full, though.

Outside town will be cheaper of course but you have to factor in transportation and hassle factor. There is a Days Inn on Conn. that can be reasonable but I don't love that area and no cute factor at all.

Just checked Morrison Clark and you can get a queen for 109 tomorrow.

Comment

Bethesda would be a great place to stay and the Double Tree is very nice. It's definitely under 45 minutes from Bethesda to Gallery Place, I would say 25 minutes, 30 max with no delays. Union Station is probably 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbaby View Post
                              Bethesda would be a great place to stay and the Double Tree is very nice. It's definitely under 45 minutes from Bethesda to Gallery Place, I would say 25 minutes, 30 max with no delays. Union Station is probably 45 minutes.
                              Agreed. Nice hotel, caters to the business travelers staying there, decent food options within walking distance and not far to Twinbrook metro. Very safe to walk. I used to work right around the corner.
                              Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BonneAmmie View Post

The only thing is Metro has been shutting down different lines in different places every weekend for the last... eternity. I don't see a schedule posted yet for the rest of the month. Does anyone have any better information? They post releases like this a few days in advance: http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/Pr...ReleaseID=5343
                                They've been working on the other side of the red line lately, not the Bethesda side. But it's Metro so that's likely to change any time someone sneezes.

Be sure to check wmata.com before you rely on getting to WIHS (or anywhere in DC) on the Metro while you're in town. You don't want to unknowingly get stuck somewhere.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions! Turns out that my friend's dad travels quite a bit and he has racked up some hotel points. We REALLY lucked out and will be staying here:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-metro-center/

Two nights at $100 per person, total. Can't beat that with a stick, especially with how close it is to the Verizon center!

Comment

Excellent! I always fear for some out-of-towners who get these great deals on one of the internet hotel sites -the ads might say 1 mile to Capitol Hill but that one mile can put a person in a great area to not such a great area.
                                    Have fun - that area by DC is booming so you'll have lots to choose from in terms of dining and bar scenes... shoot you can probably eat at a good restaurant for the same price as a hot dog, fries & soda at Verizon...

Comment

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                                      Have fun - that area by DC is booming so you'll have lots to choose from in terms of dining and bar scenes... shoot you can probably eat at a good restaurant for the same price as a hot dog, fries & soda at Verizon...
                                      But if you're planning to eat out in the area, since you're there on a weekend, make reservations early! Definitely want reservations at Legal Seafood or Jaleo (both of which are great, especially the sangria at Jaleo), faster and quicker check out Austin Grill (which usually has happy hour pricing on margaritas and appetizers, which can be a good pre-evening-show option) or the lobster roll place a little further towards the courts on E St.

You're in a great place for walking to a lot of stuff besides the horse show, too!
                                      A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Originally posted by JenEM View Post
                                        But if you're planning to eat out in the area, since you're there on a weekend, make reservations early! Definitely want reservations at Legal Seafood or Jaleo (both of which are great, especially the sangria at Jaleo), faster and quicker check out Austin Grill (which usually has happy hour pricing on margaritas and appetizers, which can be a good pre-evening-show option) or the lobster roll place a little further towards the courts on E St.
                                        I'm always underwhelmed by Jaleo. I'd skip that and hit Rosa Mexicano (literally on the corner across from Verizon center) for some pomegranate margaritas. It is pricey, but every meal we have there has been great.

Also, Matchbox is supposed to have great pizza and beer. Haven't been yet, but my coworkers rave about it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X