• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Critique and Pricing Expectations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique and Pricing Expectations?

I was given Knight, a 16.3/17hh brown Appendix gelding (registered) back in August for my birthday. While I am grateful to have horse, he isn't what I was looking for.

So I am planning on putting more riding time into him and trying to sell him next year (and possibly showing him a little in the spring/summer).

He's super nice and uncomplicated to ride. Stands to be clipped and for the farrier and vet with no issues. Cross ties, rides out alone, but can also go in a group. He's at the bottom of the pecking order in the herd. As long as you haven't given him a reason not to trust you, he will do anything you ask. Definitely could be a great ammy mount for someone.

I'm working on getting him to use his hind end and round his back, but I'm working against his original training (western pleasure) and his conformation, so it's slow going. I've been riding him fairly regularly for the last month and a half and have been surprised with what progress we have made.

I live in the Midwest, Wisconsin to be more precise. Would be advertising him as a HUS/equitation and low level hunter over fences horse. How much could expect to get for him and how much should I ask expecting someone to want to barter a little? I understand that the market could fluctuated between now and then.

Videos and photos in my blog (link in my signature).

Just to be clear I am not trying to sell him now. I'm just curious as to what I could expect to get for him.
    Last edited by Sempiternal; Oct. 4, 2012, 09:30 PM.
    The Sempiternal Horse
  • Original Poster

Anyone?

I was thinking if I get him going really well and possibly get him in some shows coupled with his temprement and height (and that he is a gelding), I could expect maybe $6,000 - $7,000. Is that too high...too low?
    The Sempiternal Horse

Comment

How old is he?

Comment

Can't tell much from the video except he looks like a cute boy and willing.

If you want to get that much for him, he will need to be jumping small courses and have some show/eventing experience.

I don't know what pricing is like where you are, but even here in Mass he would go for less than what you are thinking.

Maybe after you bond with him more you'll find he's more suitable for you. He has a nice head and a kind eye.
        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I think having some show miles, even unrated local shows would make him easier to market. Most potential buyers are looking to buy a horse that is already going, not a project.

Comment

Hard to say how you'll improve him with your training and what type of shows you'll get to. Based upon your blog I think you're selling him short and he's nicer than you seem to think.... and I think by the time you want to sell you may not want to sell!
            Originally posted by Silverbridge
            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I definitely wouldn't be thinking $6-$7k for a horse with no show miles and isn't doing courses with even a simple change.

Has he shown? Could he go back to breed shows as a HUS-O/F horse? Does he have a lead change? We don't have much background on him other than he was given to you and he's quiet.

He sounds like a very nice all-around horse that would do great in the breed shows. As far as being strictly a hunter on the open circuits, I haven't seen that evidence yet based on the video I saw on your blog. I just saw a very nice, quiet horse that does as he's asked.

I really like him and if I was in the market I'd definitely be interested, but I'm also mostly a foxhunter/trail rider who dabbles in the occasional rated show. Like I said, he seems like a wonderful all-arounder for an amateur.
              Friend of bar.ka!
              Originally posted by MHM
              GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
              "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

What ARE you looking for? He's pretty nice to me. I'd keep this one.

BTW, in his confo shot on your blog, what on earth is that thing in the background? A fox? A raccoon? A koala?

Comment

Unless he is doing courses at at least some schooling shows I wouldn't say a lot. Definitly not 6-7K. Looks like with some schooling might be a nice short or long stirrup horse for schooling shows or the local B shows. BUT to sell him as that he needs to go around 2' courses quietly with at least simple changes. Timeless and Crossroads is not to far from you and both have some winter shows, so if it were me I would plan on taking him to some of those over the winter. Also the B shows start in Jan.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well for one, I'm looking for something a little bit smaller. He's not wide, so I don't look ridiculous on him, but I am only 5'3". I would like a prospect that could take me to training level in eventing, perhaps higher if I can find a good enough instructor (and a xc course) in the area, and I'm a little worried about his pasterns and how down hill he is built.

I would be showing him in local and AQHA shows next year (or at least that was the plan).

He was originally purchased as a two year old for $20,000 as a western pleasure prospect for the AQHA circuit (he is now 9). He made it to some shows....but, well he and his trainer/rider apparently didn't click and he didn't exactly make it into any of the classes that he was entered for. For the last 4...maybe 5 years he has been with a greenie who was a little scared of him. She mostly just lunged him (from what I could telll only to the left) and just groomed him. She did ride, but not a whole lot.

My mother wants to show him in some western classes, which he turns into a totally different horse when ridden western (and slow). Dead eyed, willing, but lazy without a lot of spark. Typically, I'm the only one riding him.
                    The Sempiternal Horse

Comment

He could be a nice guy and I don't see a big problem with him going training level eventing with the right training, but that is to be seen once he starts jumping. Right now I'd say 2 to 3k just because of his size and temperament. With the right training and shows at least in my area he'd have to be going 2'6 with changes to get a 7k tag on him. 2' he would probably bring 5k
                      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Originally posted by Sempiternal View Post
                        Well for one, I'm looking for something a little bit smaller. He's not wide, so I don't look ridiculous on him, but I am only 5'3". I would like a prospect that could take me to training level in eventing, perhaps higher if I can find a good enough instructor (and a xc course) in the area, and I'm a little worried about his pasterns and how down hill he is built.

I would be showing him in local and AQHA shows next year (or at least that was the plan).

He was originally purchased as a two year old for $20,000 as a western pleasure prospect for the AQHA circuit (he is now 9). He made it to some shows....but, well he and his trainer/rider apparently didn't click and he didn't exactly make it into any of the classes that he was entered for. For the last 4...maybe 5 years he has been with a greenie who was a little scared of him. She mostly just lunged him (from what I could telll only to the left) and just groomed him. She did ride, but not a whole lot.

My mother wants to show him in some western classes, which he turns into a totally different horse when ridden western (and slow). Dead eyed, willing, but lazy without a lot of spark. Typically, I'm the only one riding him.
                        What he went for when he was two as a western horse has nothing to do with what he will sell for now. Also, if he had western training and did some shows he should have his lead changes already. The other thing is that with his size and remember that he was going solid as a two year old if there wasn't a vet check done with x rays before you were given him I would x ray his hocks before even puting him up for sale. Western pleasure training is hard on the joints of babies and by 7 a lot of them need injections.

You may be better off trying to sell him for AQHA shows, but then if he would do well at those then he probably would have stayed being shown and sold just to those clients.

Comment

I think in order to get 6-7k for him (as a hunter), he needs to be doing 2'6+ courses (with fill) with flying changes.

As a critique, he has a lovely rhythm. He does not extend well through the shoulders though. Unless he does the breed shows, it will be hard for him to compete against a TB or WB without that extension in the shoulder. Its probably something that can be worked on though! Once he untucks that head, stretches down his next and extends the shoulders he would look the part of hunter quite nicely.

Comment

$6-7k is a little much...cantering 2'6" courses with a lead change and doing well at local hunter shows might get you that if he's easy to ride. I don't know much about AQHA shows, but this is based off of doing USEF-type shows.

That said, he is CUTE and I would definitely keep him! With his height, 2'6"-3' should really not be too difficult. He is an Appendix, so part TB (if I'm correct) and he looks athletic once you have him moving forward. You seem to be on the right track instilling forward first and foremost and erasing the curling/western pleasure training he was given. I think you have a very nice horse and I would keep him. Pasterns wouldn't bother me at all on him...they're much better than my 15yo TB who has always been very sound with a fantastic jump. I think you look fine on him, if you're comfortable with his height. I like tall horses (yet, I have two 15.3hh TB's). I love OTTB's (as I see you're looking for), but this guy seems like a gem and unless you get a really good offer, I'd keep him.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
                              I think in order to get 6-7k for him (as a hunter), he needs to be doing 2'6+ courses (with fill) with flying changes.

As a critique, he has a lovely rhythm. He does not extend well through the shoulders though. Unless he does the breed shows, it will be hard for him to compete against a TB or WB without that extension in the shoulder. Its probably something that can be worked on though! Once he untucks that head, stretches down his next and extends the shoulders he would look the part of hunter quite nicely.
                              Agree. I would say $2,000 as he is. If you can get him jumping small courses $4,000 -$7,000 depending on how he does over the courses, how firm his changes are, how much of a joke he can take, how he vets out etc etc

Comment

I would keep him for a couple of years and see if he'll do Training Level eventing. I don't see why not with a little "forward" schooling. He's definitely cute enough and looks to have a decent jump.

If you ride him in a nice, consistent, relaxed way, you can also play in hunter/jumpers. Then, if he washes out at Novice, you can sell him as a packer 3' hunter or jumper as he'll have more miles and experience. He'll be worth a lot more if he can carry around a kid at 3', as so many of these nice large good-minded QHs can. I used to have quite a good little business getting WP quarter horses going as packer Children's Jumpers. Even the 15 hand ones would pull low five figures if they will carry a monkey around 3'3 with auto changes and jump from anywhere. Best thing about these horses is the brain and this one seems to have the right personality. Give him a shot.

I never had to advertise any of my QH projects -- people would come ask me if they were for sale, usually before I was ready to put them on the market. They are SO much easier to sell than TBs because packers are always in demand and people give QHs the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being a packer.

Comment

I like him, as well! He can definitely do what you want. But if he's not the one for you, you'll need to invest in shows to get much $$$ for him. Jumping and lead changes will help.
                                  Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Couture TB View Post
                                    You may be better off trying to sell him for AQHA shows, but then if he would do well at those then he probably would have stayed being shown and sold just to those clients.
                                    It wasn't so much him doing well...I can't go into details, but it had more to do with the training and his ability to put up with it, than his ability to do the job handed to him. And trust me he can be wicked athletic when he wants to be.

I haven't asked him for any flying lead changes yet, since I've mainly been legging him up in the beginning and then focusing more on walk and trot work.

I guess we'll see where we are next year. I wish he had a little more sass though. I grew up riding alpha mares and he is a total 180 from what I'm used to working with.
                                    The Sempiternal Horse

Comment

As he gets fitter and starts to trust you, I think you may find that his personality blossoms.

On your blog you were looking at OTTBs -- one with nearly 100 starts.

From a soundness perspective, I'd stick with what you have! He's a nice horse, he's cute, you don't look tiny on him, and he has a brain.

Personally, I'd take that over some sass, but everyone has their own likes.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

He looks wonderful and I would definitely look at him if he was closer to California. If he can do 2'6" to 3' with changes and a decent stride he would be the perfect county level horse. I wish he was closer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X