• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I think I'm done

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
    The "not to" part is trickier, lol! I am sometimes surprised to find out that my horse has more "eject" buttons that you might suspect, just looking at him.
    haha- absolutely! My guy was/is that unfortunate combination of extremely sensitive yet incredibly stubborn and pig-headed. But if you find that magic sweet spot? Brilliance.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

I love to train for hunters, my hunter trainer used to work at the track, and is very insightful with understanding the ottb. Unfortunately for me, she has grown her barn up from local hunters to out of state A hunter horseshowing. I love her program and all, she is one of the good ones, but I can't justify the money for these showcations that are a way of life in hunters. I can take my entire family for a dream caribbean diving vacation as opposed to a week long show for me and my horse that is nowhere as fun, and excludes half my family.

I won't give up the hunter training, but I also enjoy dressage and cross country training with my horses.

Comment

Hi TB1201 Peter misses you!!!! I have to admit that even though I miss H/J land my move to the eventing barn has been a blessing. P is happier than ever and so am I. He is benefiting from a strong dressage program and galloping in the fields jumping logs.

All of the people at the barn welcomed us with open arms. It is refreshing to see the riders doing the work and our "coach" helping us when needed. I doubt I will ever return the H/J land... I am a convert!

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi K! I miss you and Peter and Cookie as well. Glennie will live out her life at the H/J barn. She couldn't get better care and she's happy in retirement. (And she turned 21 this year. She's legal!) And I love the people there. But I'm definately done. Check out my facebook page, you'll see what I'm up to.

Glad you and Petey are enjoying your new career. I'm pretty impressed with the local eventing barns. There are some pretty stylish horses and riders eventing now, and the they have the best equitation and horsemanship.

Where are you at now? I'd love to come see you and give Peter a carrot.
          The truth is always in the middle.

Comment

I noticed that you are dabbling in a very interesting riding type... Those horses are beautiful!

We are at Polestar http://polestarfarm.com/

Would love for you to come out and see the place... It is AMAZING! I am riding in a clinic on the 12th and 13th if you want to come out. I miss you all very much. The move was a tough one and still makes me sad, but I had to do it for Peter. You are welcome to come out anytime!!! I am sure my Mom would love to see you too. Tell Maureen hi and please give Queen Glennie a carrot or two from both of us

Comment

• Original Poster

K, I'm going to text you my email. Send me yours and we'll trade more details.

Comment

I've thought a lot about the myriad of issues in H/Jland, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem stems from the sheer number of A shows, and the length of the season (aka all year).

As the number of shows increased, so did the number of divisions offered at the shows. This is because BNTs no longer have the free weekends in between Big Shows to take little Susie Q on St. Pony to little shows to get experience. BNT now has the choice of eliminating Susie Q from her program, taking weekends off the A circuit to take little Susie Q to a show at an appropriate level, or simply taking her to the Big Shows and letting her show there. Of course BNT isn't going to kick Susie Q out because she's the future of BNT's program; maybe in a few years she'll be an amazing pony jock or Big Eq star, and deserving of those Big Shows! The BNT also won't be inclined to chose taking Susie Q to a little show when she has a ton of other clients currently supporting her business who have progressed beyond the little shows and want to go to the Big Show. So Big Shows learn there's a demand for a division and they begin offering it, and BNTs start to bring Susie Qs to A shows. Most of the time it isn't Mom and Dad, because Mom and Dad typically aren't horsey and didn't know the difference until BNT explained it to them.

Before, when there were fewer A shows, more people could save up and attend so the divisions could be bigger. But how do you make more money now that there are so many more shows for people to aim for, and you've out priced a good portion of your target audience? Simple, you add divisions. The divisions used to be restrictive enough that there was very minimal cross entering. You certainly can't show a small pony in the Reg Workings! Sure, you had Green or Reg Working horses that doubled as A/O or Jr mounts, but for the most part you had your division or two and then you were done. With prices rising and more shows to choose from, the group of people who used to fill the division at all the shows are either out priced, or now must pick and choose which shows to go to, ultimately meaning smaller classes at the shows. Now here's where the addition of divisions comes in. When shows add divisions which can be (and many times are purposely created for) cross entered, that means that they can get twice(or 3x, or 4x, etc) the amount of money out of the same horse.

We have mass produced shows. This is what has cheapened our sport.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HunterRider992 View Post
                  Amen. Beautifully stated.

As I said, it's a business model - neither good nor bad.

But personally, as I said in the original post, I'm priced out. I couldn't compete anymore if I wanted to. Therefore, I have a choice - stay or go. I've chosen to go.

Comment

Hunter/jumpers may not appeal to everyone and that's fine, but wouldn't it be nice to hear someone say "I don't like (insert complaint about h/j here) so I'm joining a comittee/task force/local organization to try to make a change for the better".

I love our sport. It's certainly not perfect and there are some major areas that need work (many are the same as those reasons you listed) but that's why I joined a USHJA committee as well as working with local organizations. If all the good horsemen threw in the towel and quit we would have no one to shape our discipline for future generations.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
                      Hunter/jumpers may not appeal to everyone and that's fine, but wouldn't it be nice to hear someone say "I don't like (insert complaint about h/j here) so I'm joining a comittee/task force/local organization to try to make a change for the better".

I love our sport. It's certainly not perfect and there are some major areas that need work (many are the same as those reasons you listed) but that's why I joined a USHJA committee as well as working with local organizations. If all the good horsemen threw in the towel and quit we would have no one to shape our discipline for future generations.

True. Very true. And in spite of all, I truly love watching the hunters - I always will. And I've volunteered tons in the local association, shows, and within the riding community. And I'm burned out.

Hopefully there will be others who read your post and do just what you propose, before they are too burned out.

Comment

It's not that I've drifted away from USEF -- USEF has drifted away from me. I just can't afford it any more. My circumstances stayed the same, even improved some but the shows have gotten a lot more expensive.

The Hunter Derbies look really fun but the ENTRY FEES!!! No way am I going to be able to afford to play in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
                          True. Very true. And in spite of all, I truly love watching the hunters - I always will. And I've volunteered tons in the local association, shows, and within the riding community. And I'm burned out.

Hopefully there will be others who read your post and do just what you propose, before they are too burned out.
                          I think burn out is natural (for both horse and rider) and will happen with any sport/discipline over time. Trying something new will always give you a new perspective and hopefully you might find yourself coming back to the sport with fresh ideas or at least more enthusiasm to get back to the ol' grind!

Comment

Originally posted by HunterRider992 View Post
                            I've thought a lot about the myriad of issues in H/Jland, and I've come to the conclusion that the problem stems from the sheer number of A shows, and the length of the season (aka all year).

As the number of shows increased, so did the number of divisions offered at the shows. This is because BNTs no longer have the free weekends in between Big Shows to take little Susie Q on St. Pony to little shows to get experience. BNT now has the choice of eliminating Susie Q from her program, taking weekends off the A circuit to take little Susie Q to a show at an appropriate level, or simply taking her to the Big Shows and letting her show there. Of course BNT isn't going to kick Susie Q out because she's the future of BNT's program; maybe in a few years she'll be an amazing pony jock or Big Eq star, and deserving of those Big Shows! The BNT also won't be inclined to chose taking Susie Q to a little show when she has a ton of other clients currently supporting her business who have progressed beyond the little shows and want to go to the Big Show. So Big Shows learn there's a demand for a division and they begin offering it, and BNTs start to bring Susie Qs to A shows. Most of the time it isn't Mom and Dad, because Mom and Dad typically aren't horsey and didn't know the difference until BNT explained it to them.

Before, when there were fewer A shows, more people could save up and attend so the divisions could be bigger. But how do you make more money now that there are so many more shows for people to aim for, and you've out priced a good portion of your target audience? Simple, you add divisions. The divisions used to be restrictive enough that there was very minimal cross entering. You certainly can't show a small pony in the Reg Workings! Sure, you had Green or Reg Working horses that doubled as A/O or Jr mounts, but for the most part you had your division or two and then you were done. With prices rising and more shows to choose from, the group of people who used to fill the division at all the shows are either out priced, or now must pick and choose which shows to go to, ultimately meaning smaller classes at the shows. Now here's where the addition of divisions comes in. When shows add divisions which can be (and many times are purposely created for) cross entered, that means that they can get twice(or 3x, or 4x, etc) the amount of money out of the same horse.

Very well said.
                            Barn rat for life

Comment

So there's lots of fun to be had over here on The Dark Side--the eventers have cookies, foxhunters port in little silver cups, the reiners have BBQ, the endurance crowd like their Gatorade and we gaited folk have Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey!

Pick your flavor . . . more to horses than steppin' over sticks!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                                So there's lots of fun to be had over here on The Dark Side--the eventers have cookies, foxhunters port in little silver cups, the reiners have BBQ, the endurance crowd like their Gatorade and we gaited folk have Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey!

LOL! Oh yes. I learned to drive years ago when the barn my H/J trainer was at had a Morgan trainer stabled on the other side. It was a blast. Driving her Morgan Stallion at a Road Gait was almost like flying. I don't think he ever touched ground!

Comment

Originally posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post

I hear ya. But horses are not my business. They are my hobby. If showing stops being fun and I encounter enough people associated with the h/j industry that are unethical, money grubbing a-holes...well, I'll just go somewhere else and spend my money doing things I like. At the end of the day, it is going to be up to the do-good professionals in the industry to clean up the mess so that people like me might want to and/or be able to show again and fund the industry that you make your living in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                    I hear ya. But horses are not my business. They are my hobby. If showing stops being fun and I encounter enough people associated with the h/j industry that are unethical, money grubbing a-holes...well, I'll just go somewhere else and spend my money doing things I like. At the end of the day, it is going to be up to the do-good professionals in the industry to clean up the mess so that people like me might want to and/or be able to show again and fund the industry that you make your living in.
                                    It is a problem. There is a whole group feeling disnfranchised, and quietly leaving. As I said, I am clearly priced out these days, and it isn't like I don't make a decent salary.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post

True true.

I went from endurance and arabians, to riding gaited on a Rocky Mt on trails only.

I got burned out in endurance. Also after a long long string of geldings, I have a mare. I really prefer mares much better.

Now I am having a fun time riding gaited and a totally different breed. She is the black one with the red pack.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCF4242.jpg

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/...t=DSCF4217.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
                                        It is a problem. There is a whole group feeling disnfranchised, and quietly leaving. As I said, I am clearly priced out these days, and it isn't like I don't make a decent salary.
                                        Not only in the h/j show world that this is happening.... I live in Los Angeles and have lived here for over 40 years. The horses that once were around are gone and replaced by crowds of people. The fields and horse show grounds have been replaced with condos. This has affected the industry immensely.

Change is inevitable and there are only a few things that can be done about it. Fight against it, live with it or leave.

I am definitely looking forward to leaving the crowed city that LA has become when the time is right for my family.

There have been times I have fought and times where I have left; and currently I am living with it.

I understand OP and time comes when I question what I am spending to "try" to participate. We all have different goals in life and what makes us happy.... and we must press on regardless of the obstacles in the way. Good luck in your adventures.
                                        Live in the sunshine.
                                        Swim in the sea.
                                        Drink the wild air.

Comment

I have nothing in common with H/J but totally understand your feelings. I see some of the same on the Morgan show circuit. Right now they are flocking to OKC to spend thousands of $$$ for a go round or two.

I will never go there. I am a back yarder with a really nice horse. I show on the A circuit but I go for fun do it on the cheap. For me it's about the horse and my relationship with him.

I'm glad you're finding a different way to enjoy these wonderful animals. People tend to be stinkers but the horses are magnificent!
                                          Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X