• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thoroughbred Retraining plans.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoroughbred Retraining plans.

Those of you that get horses off the track, do you have a set plan for them to start their new career, like monthly goals to work towards? (obviously COMPLETLEY flexible depending on the horse). For instance, do you start from scratch and do groundwork for a few weeks, then few weeks in the round yard, then out & about, then a show a few months in? I've got a project horse that's purely for reselling, (but he's a darling, it's going to be so hard!). His last start was mid July & he was at a friend's house until yesterday. My friend wanted him as a riding horse but he scared him a few times (complete beginner) so I've got him now. He's still track sore, and muscled up in all the wrong places, and I'm pretty sure my friend was feeding him full grain (!) but with the correct diet, daily massages & light work, I'm hoping he'll be a great horse.
    Oh and here's a pic!

So what are your basic plans for OTTBs?

Your friend's horse has a very kind look about him. From what you described it sounds like he could benefit from some serious down time.

I bought my horse from CANTER MA, an organization that believes, like many others, that a lot of these horses need time to "just be a horse". The horses typically get downtime of a couple of months to be in a field and relax and forget about the track. When the horse is ready, then they get started again from scratch. This gives them an important mental break and time to get over any body soreness they might have.

My horse had I think around 30-45 days u/s when I bought her. However, I started her from the ground with some longing and long lining and a bit of riding. I gradually increased the riding component and after a few months was no longer doing much groundwork. During that time I was taking my horse off the property and doing flatwork as well as very easy jumping and even some free jumping.

As for what time period is appropriate, I think it totally depends on the horse. Some might be ready to jump courses in a couple of months, others might need a lot more time before they are ready for that. Same thing goes for shows.

If I were to start another OTTB (and I've done a couple of them), the only common denominator I think I would have is a couple of months of turnout before working them. That and at least a month of solid ground work. After that I'd let the horse tell me what it needed.

Comment

I think some time off is a good idea. Couple months depending on there condition. If they are body sore, have a massage therapist or chiro check them (after your vet gives thier ok) before you put them back to work. I dont do a lot of ground work, I just got on mine. He has been fine. I have never been one for bitting up, and all that stuff. I have done mostly long hacks around the farm, on the trails. Not much ring work yet. All depends on the horse.

Comment

A very nice set of guidelines is available here:

http://www.goodhorse.org/Retraining_Manual.html
        "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Comment

Cute horse --- glad hes got another restart ahead of him.

Id suggest you simply tack him up and ride the trails -- the long walking will help strech out all those sore spots -- and give him something mentally to do. Theres a lot to be learned from trail work and most likely you'll find him nearly bombproof, as hes already been exposed to a lot of chaos from the track.
          Most ottb's know traffic well, water, they ride in all conditions --so its You who needs to wear the rain gear--
          Honestly, there isnt much you can ask of this horse that wont seem like a cakewalk compared to his old training program.

I would avoid lunging ! this will only produce more soreness, put stress on the joints and stifles. Hes used to working in long straight lines -- his lifetime tightest turn is the left on the shedrow short wall.
          As you trail ride you can start strengthening those areas and he'll let you know when hes ready for those 20m circles.

Track horses typically train for 20minutes or less each day, with one day off -- 3 off after racing just walking. They tie to the wall, stand for all care and tacking, just tack and walk quietly to the track (and back!), ride in either d's or ring bits, know how to be ponied(so when you first trail ride with a partner be on the right) , stand for the farrier and vet,& know if they misbehave what a lip shank is, and most are pampered/used to a lot of human time; so a quiet voice might work best. They trailer, most know hotwalkers, some know swimming and euroccizers now.

Explore these things and build a baseline of what what he does'/doesnt know. -- and go from there.
          IN GOD WE TRUST
          OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
          http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

Originally posted by RillRill View Post
            Those of you that get horses off the track, do you have a set plan for them to start their new career, like monthly goals to work towards?
            No. Every horse is different.

I kick a new horse out in a small paddock with a donkey for a couple days and watch his behavior. Is he aggressive with the donkey? Does he walk the fencelines? How is he eating? Is he "detoxing?"

I usually do a first ride after about a week just to evaluate brain matter, steering and brakes. Depending on how the horse does, I might kick him back out for a few more weeks and do another re-evaluation ride.

My latest project is 3 and the owner/breeder is a friend. I know he wasn't racing on any nefarious substances, and thus he didn't go through the detox time, when they blow their coats and look like they want to die.

I got on at a week and he was perfect. I'm continuing to ride him 2-3 times a week for 15-20 minutes. He likes the attention and having a job. He came with auto brakes , but wobbly steering, so we walk and trot serpentines, figure 8s, various patterns. He is so good that I consciously have to stop from asking more of him than he is ready to do. He popped over a crossrail about 5 times a couple weekends ago (about 7 weeks post race), and that's probably all he'll do until spring. We spend about equal time in the ring and hacking out around a big field. He came from South Florida and is still figuring out what a hill is, but I plan to ship out to an easy trail a few times this fall. He's already passed the redneck test (my neighbors practicing with their muzzleloaders the second I get on ). He's probably the easiest TB I've ever retrained. His breeder says that when they broke him, it was like he'd done it forever, so evidently he's just that kind of horse.

With others, I have spent months installing voice commands on the longe line and doing basic ground work. It all depends on the horse. Once you start thinking "I must get x accomplished this month," you're too likely to push them past their comfort zone. That's the case with any young horse, not just a TB.
            Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks

Thanks guys, yeah like I said in my original post, "(obviously COMPLETLEY flexible depending on the horse)" I know that there is no strict rule for every horse, but I wondered if you might have a loose schedule/training steps. GypsyQ, thanks heaps for that link, will print it off.
              I know what racehorses are exposed to having worked as a track rider & groom, and also know the trainer that had this boy. I've had several TBs off the track, including a few that I rode at the track and strapped for. But they were to keep/long term home, so there was no pressure on their time with me, or what I was doing with them. Obviously I don't mean to say that I'm going to rush this one, but you know what I mean. He is super super cute, I rode him yesterday & despite the fact that every time he bucked at the canter my friend would get off & put him away, he didn't put a foot wrong and I'm so happy with him. He's loving it here, my horses get handled twice/day (if not ridden, then hand walked/picked or sand roll/brush/massage etc) but my 3yo gelding is NOT happy with him here and makes it known. I won't be riding him in the arena very often, will get him out on trails ASAP and will even start him on cows.
              Will keep you guys updated with progress

Comment

Honestly, if the horse is sound and mentally fine, I start riding them right away lightly. I just start trying to build the new muscles for the new job slowly. Some of them don't really want or need downtime - it all depends on the horse. Your horse has already had down time since July, so I would start riding him lightly now for sure. I don't do much with them on the ground until after I've been riding them a little. They are usually more confused and frustrated by groundwork than they are with riding. They already know LOTS about riding, even if what they know is a little different than what we do.

Comment

I read all that stuff about down time, but mine ended up in light, happy, forward riding work from the first day. It was hard to get her to adjust to turnout in the beginning, so I don't know how I could have turned her out right away anyway. She was kinda sore for a while, but she likes the routine of working, and while her body was adjusting she wasn't doing anything taxing anyway.

She did MINIMAL lunging. A little later on, I did slightly more lunging to try to help her topline, but not much. And no lunging before riding just for the sake of it.

Not sure I believe in the one-sided thing. A noticeably one-sided horse is just a horse with soreness somewhere, imho.

Of course, the primary reason she's been successful is that I hired a really good trainer and listened to her as much as I was able.

Like all horses, I think they end up more a reflection of the people they're with and their physical comfort than anything. The moment I make excuses or suggest some different method for her because of her track background is usually the moment I go off into Cuckoo Amateur Lady land. A horse is a horse.

Comment

A few weeks for each step?

Do each step only IF you need it, and ONLY UNTIL the horse is ready for the next one.

I have had ottbs that I hopped on and rode, no longe, 48 hours after their last race.

I am currently working with one that came to my program already let down, which I did a ground work session with before hopping on, and will revisit the ground work with before each ride for the next few rides.

In general unless there is something hugely the matter with the horse they can WTC and hop over little jumps within a month. Not expertly but they can play around.

Don't waste time doing random stuff based on a time frame. Look at what the horse is telling you, and do what IT needs for AS LONG AS it needs, but not needlessly longer.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Working...
                    X