• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Maclay Regional Results anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by hasahorse View Post
    Here is the result from St. Louis last night:

    1. Hunter Holloway
    2. Caroline McLeece
    3. Kristin Lutz
    4. Katherine Woodruff
    5. Savannah Talcott
    6. Kaitlyn Alsup
    7. Barbara Ann Merryman
    8. Emily Hartley
    9. Landrie Folsom
    10. Bethany Bolan
    11. K C Thomps0n
    12. Blair Julia Wright
    13. Mackenzie Clark
    14. Reily Reiker
    15. Colleen McKenzie

    31 riders competed. They were brought back in three groups to flat, and then the top six tested again.
    I was there, too. Don't have my notes handy at the moment but here are a few impressions. Judges were Geoff Teal and Mary Lisa Leffler, by the way.

    The course was very twisty, and a lot of the fences were natural; there was a whole zig-zag line of post-and-rails down the middle of the ring. Looked very Derby-ish, actually! (As they're doing two at the show this isn't surprising, and I know I saw quite a few of these Maclay horses and riders in the 3' Derby Friday night). I thought this was really interesting for a Maclay class, AND a good development.

    Having said that, though, the fence that caused the most trouble was #2, a not-unusual stone wall. Lots of chips, refusals and even deer jumps there. It definitely took a skilled rider to make this course look smooth so I think it was a good trial. I only saw one rider who was a jumped-loose trainwreck from start to finish, and made me wonder how on earth she qualified.

    I mostly agreed with the groupings for the flat phase, and I thought it was nice that they allowed everyone to come back. I was surprised that the judges didn't ask for any extensions - they will certainly be asked at Finals. Nobody moved up from bottom group but I think one or two did from second group. I picked the top three as called back to test from the high group, so I was pleased with my eye. Question: whatever happened to making them drop their stirrups and post the trot for a lap or two? Used to be a common feature in the flat phase.

    The test was hard, harder than the last two I've seen (two years ago, IIRC, there was no test, which I thought a shame). All the jumps were arranged in a zig-zag down the middle of the ring. Went like this:

    - Counter-canter a jump
    - Hand-gallop to next jump (a long ways, about half the ring)
    - Canter a jump
    - Halt
    - Counter-canter a jump
    - Trot the stone wall (lowered to 2')
    - Sitting trot, then walk out

    The first rider made a complete hash of the trot jump, barely trotting and then knocking it down, and the second rider also barely trotted. This surprised me since surely they practice these plenty - maybe just not walls? Also no gallops, and one lost a counter-canter out of these two. Last four to test did much better and Hunter Holloway really nailed it, which moved her from second to first place. I especially liked her gallop, but she had a text-book trot fence, quiet halt and authoritative sitting trot.

    [Side note: Hunter's mom Brandi had won the $25,000 GP earlier, so it was quite a day for the Holloway girls!]

    Interestingly, all 31 of these riders were female this year. Guess our three or four boys from this Region have aged out.

    Good luck in KY, ladies!
    "Horses lend us the wings we lack." ~ Pam Brown

    Comment


    • #22
      Awesome to hear such detailed results! Can't wait to watch in Kentucky!

      Comment


      • #23
        A couple of the girls on that list are definitely East coasters... Who are they riding with to ride in that Regional?

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
          A couple of the girls on that list are definitely East coasters... Who are they riding with to ride in that Regional?
          You can compete in any region as long as you obtain the number of points for both your home region and that region, whichever is higher.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by iEquitate View Post
            You can compete in any region as long as you obtain the number of points for both your home region and that region, whichever is higher.
            Ah, I thought you either had to use your own address or your trainer's address.

            Either way, I always think it's curious every year to see which kids from competitive regions pop up in less competitive ones for regionals.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by hasahorse View Post
              Here is the result from St. Louis last night:

              1. Hunter Holloway
              2. Caroline McLeece
              3. Kristin Lutz
              4. Katherine Woodruff
              5. Savannah Talcott
              6. Kaitlyn Alsup
              7. Barbara Ann Merryman
              8. Emily Hartley
              9. Landrie Folsom
              10. Bethany Bolan
              11. K C Thomps0n
              12. Blair Julia Wright
              13. Mackenzie Clark
              14. Reily Reiker
              15. Colleen McKenzie

              31 riders competed. They were brought back in three groups to flat, and then the top six tested again.
              My daughter is 8th.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
                Ah, I thought you either had to use your own address or your trainer's address.

                Either way, I always think it's curious every year to see which kids from competitive regions pop up in less competitive ones for regionals.
                I wouldn't say that Region 5 is less competitve, Sarah Milliren in 2011 and Hayley Barnhill in 2010 won Region 5 Maclay Regionals and went on to win the Maclay Finals in Kentucky.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by RiderWriter View Post
                  I was there, too. Don't have my notes handy at the moment but here are a few impressions. Judges were Geoff Teal and Mary Lisa Leffler, by the way.

                  The course was very twisty, and a lot of the fences were natural; there was a whole zig-zag line of post-and-rails down the middle of the ring. Looked very Derby-ish, actually! (As they're doing two at the show this isn't surprising, and I know I saw quite a few of these Maclay horses and riders in the 3' Derby Friday night). I thought this was really interesting for a Maclay class, AND a good development.

                  Having said that, though, the fence that caused the most trouble was #2, a not-unusual stone wall. Lots of chips, refusals and even deer jumps there. It definitely took a skilled rider to make this course look smooth so I think it was a good trial. I only saw one rider who was a jumped-loose trainwreck from start to finish, and made me wonder how on earth she qualified.

                  I mostly agreed with the groupings for the flat phase, and I thought it was nice that they allowed everyone to come back. I was surprised that the judges didn't ask for any extensions - they will certainly be asked at Finals. Nobody moved up from bottom group but I think one or two did from second group. I picked the top three as called back to test from the high group, so I was pleased with my eye. Question: whatever happened to making them drop their stirrups and post the trot for a lap or two? Used to be a common feature in the flat phase.

                  The test was hard, harder than the last two I've seen (two years ago, IIRC, there was no test, which I thought a shame). All the jumps were arranged in a zig-zag down the middle of the ring. Went like this:

                  - Counter-canter a jump
                  - Hand-gallop to next jump (a long ways, about half the ring)
                  - Canter a jump
                  - Halt
                  - Counter-canter a jump
                  - Trot the stone wall (lowered to 2')
                  - Sitting trot, then walk out

                  The first rider made a complete hash of the trot jump, barely trotting and then knocking it down, and the second rider also barely trotted. This surprised me since surely they practice these plenty - maybe just not walls? Also no gallops, and one lost a counter-canter out of these two. Last four to test did much better and Hunter Holloway really nailed it, which moved her from second to first place. I especially liked her gallop, but she had a text-book trot fence, quiet halt and authoritative sitting trot.

                  [Side note: Hunter's mom Brandi had won the $25,000 GP earlier, so it was quite a day for the Holloway girls!]

                  Interestingly, all 31 of these riders were female this year. Guess our three or four boys from this Region have aged out.

                  Good luck in KY, ladies!
                  Thanks for the recap. I could not be there to watch and now I have an idea of how the class went.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    PonyPenny - congratulations to your D!

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Tha Ridge View Post
                      Ah, I thought you either had to use your own address or your trainer's address.

                      Either way, I always think it's curious every year to see which kids from competitive regions pop up in less competitive ones for regionals.
                      I was wondering about that too - because isn't Kristen Lutz /w Heritage Farm? And her dad Peter Lutz who himself trains in NY? Although maybe there is another girl with the same name... Always possible

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by RanchoAdobe View Post
                        Zone X
                        Winner: Alexis Graves
                        2nd : Hannah Von Heiddegar (another 14 yr old)
                        3-Morgan Gellar
                        4- Haley Webster
                        5- Sydney Hutchins
                        6- Sophie Simpson
                        7- Savannah Jenkins

                        I'm lost after 7th
                        Congrats to Sav! Beautiful rider and a great kid.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by PonyPenny View Post
                          I wouldn't say that Region 5 is less competitve, Sarah Milliren in 2011 and Hayley Barnhill in 2010 won Region 5 Maclay Regionals and went on to win the Maclay Finals in Kentucky.
                          I'm from Texas originally, so I'm definitely not maligning the region... But you simply cannot compare it to the northeast.

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by Janeway View Post
                            I was wondering about that too - because isn't Kristen Lutz /w Heritage Farm? And her dad Peter Lutz who himself trains in NY? Although maybe there is another girl with the same name... Always possible
                            Peter Lutz has a daughter?

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Kristen's father is Danny Lutz, not Peter, who runs a barn with her mother, Karen, in NY.

                              She decided to ride with Don Stewart this Fall.

                              Comment


                              • #35


                                I always wondered about that myself MHM but figured in this day and age anything was possible!

                                My bad but I always thought she was Peter's daughter - made a wrong assumption based on the last name! Is there any relation at all?

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Originally posted by Piggiejump View Post
                                  Kristen's father is Danny Lutz, not Peter, who runs a barn with her mother, Karen, in NY.
                                  Thanks.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    I've been trying to find the numbers accepted to finals last year. I know it was about 60%, but does anyone know the exact figures for each zone?

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Big congrats to Barbara Ann Merryman! She has a gift and I'm so happy to see she's doing well.
                                      "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

                                      Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                      Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Can't wait to watch finals! Missed it last year because of my wedding. Poor planning on my part lol.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Regarding the cutoff, my understanding of St Louis anyway was that the top 10 move on to the finals.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X