• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Update page 2!: Circuit Premier Special EQ Saddle - thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update page 2!: Circuit Premier Special EQ Saddle - thoughts?

Anyone out there have, or has tried, Dover's Circuit Premier Special EQ saddle?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/circuit...eq/p/X1-15060/

I like that the seat is pretty flat AND that it comes in a fwd flap option - two very important things to me.

It's not that much more than what I was budgeting for a used something, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding used anything with fwd flaps! And maybe Dover will have one slightly discounted in their trial saddles...

I know it's a newer model so people can't speak to the longevity, but any thoughts from people who have seen it in person?
    Last edited by RolyPolyPony; Oct. 9, 2012, 10:59 AM.

I'll start this disclosure with that I work part-time at the local Dover. Having said that.... I LOVE the saddle for it's fit and feel for me. I've only tried it on the 'dummy' horse at the store so you know once you strap it on to Dobbin things change a little.

The saddle is designed by Beval and my horse adores the Butet but I do not for it's price tag and not so attractive color combinations. This particular saddle I personally am not completely thrilled with the leather because I just feel once again that it's not very pretty.

I'm hoping to take one on trial soon and see what I think. I've read reviews and done research on the other Circuit Premier and people love them AND they don't sell them often. I myself have sold several of these saddles and not a one has come back to us.

Because I'm only part-time I don't know off the top of my head if they offer a trial ride in this, but it may be worth a shot. I'm 5'10" and the 18" with the forward flap fits me perfectly!

Comment

• Original Poster

Ohh, HRF - thanks! Now I am even more intrigued! It's hard finding that fwd flap!

Comment

Actually I may be wrong. They may just come in a 'long' flap. However when I measured the long flap it matches my trainers 2.5 Butet flap which is 14.5". I believe the flaps were 14" which is better for me because I feel like his are just a little too big for me. But the length is perfect.

The other saddle that's similar (but more expensive) is the new Pessoa A/O. They are offering some really interesting panels now too. I feel like the seat and the flaps are almost identical.

Comment

I started as a "re-rider" in 1990, and went through quite a variety of saddles. As recall, the succession goes: Crosby PDN, PJ, Bevel World Cup, Pessoa, Butet, then got a Circuit Premier in a wide tree to fit my wider horses.

I liked the wide Circuit Premier so much I got the Circuit Premier Eq in a medium tree for my narrower horses. I used those two saddles for years and years. I think I got them in about 2004 or so. They fit me (5'7" with long thigh) and my horses well.

The ONLY thing I have liked better is my new Tad Coffin, but that is quite a step up! My 60th birthday present to myself!

Overall, big thumbs up for the Dover Premier and Premier Eq. When I had the Butet I could tell right away that although the leather was pretty and soft and nice, it was not going to last long. I sold it before the pommel wore down. The Dover saddles are not "buttery" or whatever it is that people seem to clamor for, but they break in well and look just fine for years.

Edited to correct when I got the saddle -- trying to measure time by my horses!
          Last edited by ToTheNines; Aug. 31, 2012, 03:43 PM.
          Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, ToTheNines! I def. think I'm going to see about getting one out on trial thank to you all

Comment

ToTheNines, thanks for the feedback! I've been struggling with this decision because....well.... It's just not THAT pretty but it seems incredibly functional. I will likely be ordering a trial saddle myself now. MUCHAS GRACIAS!

Comment

I can't speak for this particular model, but I do have experience with many circuit saddles- nearly everyone at my barn has had one at some point or another. The older circuits are VERY nice- not top quality, but soft leather that will last for years, great balance, etc. The newer ones are pretty much the opposite of that, IME.

My trainer and I both had older models, and encouraged some of the teens at the barn to get circuits since we were both happy with ours (I think this was around 2007/2008). The new saddles are FAR below the quality of the older models- personally, I wouldn't waste my money on one. The balance is still good, but the leather is like plastic (a lot like Kincade stuff, just a better color). Very slick, shiny, and even after 5 years of almost daily riding and regular oiling/conditioning (trying everything we can think of), the saddle that has been used the most is still as slick and stiff as ever. The others were either replaced or are collecting dust.

I would certainly get a trial saddle before you commit to buying- maybe the quality has gotten better recently, I wouldn't know as we never had anyone order another one after seeing the quality of the last few. Hopefully they have fixed the leather to be less slippery and actually break in! If so, I would recommend these saddles in a heartbeat!

Comment

laurelo, it sounds like you have some experience with the older new circuits, if that makes sense. i agree, older ones are a lot nicer than the new versions of the old models.

however, the new models, such as the one the OP is asking about, are totally different, and really nice. definitely give the special a try! i haven't sat in the EQ model with the flatter seat, but love the deeper seat model. nice balance, nice leather, comes lightly pre-oiled, and is a lovely color.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as emeraldcity. I saw one a few years ago that was sort of caramel colored and plastic-y.

But the one in the link above looks really nice leather-wise. So maybe they got smart and went back to a better leather. Actually the one in the link above looks even nicer than my circa-2004 one.

Call Dover! When I bought my Circuit Eq (mid-2000's I think), I called and the person to whom I spoke knew all those Circuit saddles inside and out. Seats, flaps, which best for what build, etc. Maybe she or her protege is still there!
                    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

No experience on this saddle, but the discussion has me curious about difference in leather used on the flaps. Some are slick, some are very slick! My Beval Jr & Butet are nice and grippy, what makes the difference in grip factor on a saddle? I know some are coated in a wax, but that eventually wears off yet the saddle is still slick??

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldcity View Post
                        laurelo, it sounds like you have some experience with the older new circuits, if that makes sense. i agree, older ones are a lot nicer than the new versions of the old models.

however, the new models, such as the one the OP is asking about, are totally different, and really nice. definitely give the special a try! i haven't sat in the EQ model with the flatter seat, but love the deeper seat model. nice balance, nice leather, comes lightly pre-oiled, and is a lovely color.
                        Glad to hear it! I really did love the quality of the older ones in the barn, so I'm glad they seem to be back to that quality! I'll have to keep an eye out for one of the newer ones and take a look at them!

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm having a minor medical procedure next week so I'm waiting to call until after that, in case Dover is all "We have one right here to send out on trial!"

It definitely sounds like the leather quality has improved, at least on these Special models, if not all the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldcity View Post
                            I just rode in a Circuit Premier Special (not the Eq) for the first time today. I was quite impressed. The leather is actually quite nice for the price range. It wasn't plastic-y at all, and felt like with some TLC it would break in nicely.

What really impressed me was the balance. It felt really nice and put my leg in a great position. I was riding my friend's VERY bouncy boy and felt perfectly able to stay with him and all his thrust. He can feel like he is launching you in slippery saddles and I didn't get that feeling at all.

My own personal saddle is a custom Bruno Delgrange that is just delicious and has ruined me for all other saddles. However, for the price, I would consider the Premier Special and probably the Premier Special Eq if I was in that market and couldn't afford another Delgrange.
                            Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                            Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

I just purchased a special eq to patch me over until next month when my custom butet arrives. I was very apprehensive to purchase this based on other posts on this tread but let me say this... This is a very very nice saddle at this price point. It is basically a butet made of cheaper leather. I have only owned this saddle for a day so I cannot speak of durability but the leather is equivalent of a HDR or one of bevals stamford saddles. Very balanced and rides like my butet and looks near identical except for the circuit name on the flap, the stirrup leather keeper on top of flap instead of passing through and then the obvious leather difference because this is more chocolate than the butet red.
                              [edit]
                              Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 13, 2012, 01:40 PM.
                              Good things come to those who wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Satin Filly View Post
                                what makes the difference in grip factor on a saddle? I know some are coated in a wax, but that eventually wears off yet the saddle is still slick??
                                I don't know, but I am curious, as well.

I love a nice saddle with grippy leather. It really improves my riding and comfort level.
                                Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Circuit saddles, but for those of you saying this particular one in the link "just isn't pretty" - I'm surprised, as based on the photo I think its an attractive looking saddle. What is it that makes you dislike its appearance?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                                    I don't have any experience with the Circuit saddles, but for those of you saying this particular one in the link "just isn't pretty" - I'm surprised, as based on the photo I think its an attractive looking saddle. What is it that makes you dislike its appearance?
                                    Right? I keep wondering that too - I've been drooling all over the pic online and in the catalog!

To keep people posted - I haven't done a trial on this yet, as I randomly came across a used Harry Dabbs Prix for a great price, and just got it yesterday for a trial. However, if it fails to fit me or my lease, I am def. looking into the Special Eq.

(and even if it does fit us both, I already have it in the back of my mind to keep on saving a little extra each month and maybe next summer I can sell the Dabbs and get the Special Eq...! )

Comment

Check with Dover & see how long the "discounted" price will last, eg, is it an introductory price offered to get the new saddles out there, or is it a more or less permanent sale price ...

Hope your surgery went well

Thanks to Hannahsmom86 for the great photos

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                                        I don't think it is an ugly saddle, but if you are used to something "pretty", it will leave you flat. My Delgrange is drool worthy. I sometimes just look at it sitting there and think "my goodness. That's a gorgeous saddle." The CirCuit saddle I m familiar with is nice enough, but it just doesn't have the same "wow" factor. But, I also paid a lot more for that wow factor.

There ar a few things on the Circuit that aren't as nice looking as they could be, bu t does not detract from the functionality of the saddle.

I do think anyone who compares it with an HDR is crazy. I've never seen an HDR I'd be tempted to purchase. The only ones I've seen are slippery, orange pieces of yuck that aren't worth much f anything. IMO, the Circuit Special is much nicer than an HDR.
                                        Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                        Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

Working...
                                        X