Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

McLeanJanet_Front1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Changes to the USHJA Derby program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to the USHJA Derby program

From the COTH article today:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-derby-program

I'm a little confused (I'm not entirely familiar with how it worked before). What exactly does this mean? Thoughts?
    Originally posted by rustbreeches
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Basically now you have to pay more $. A lot more $. This basically keeps an owner like myself out of the game. Oh well, glad we did the finals this year!

Comment

If the new entry fees will help fund the consolation class, then why is Moyer Farm sponsoring that class? I thought that's what sponsoring meant, that they would provide the awards (including trophy/cooler/monetary payments or whatever).

Comment

Good lord, $750 for a 10k class? That's almost twice the cost of doing a 10k class in the jumpers...
        https://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628

Comment

Here is how I interpret this press release:

Entry fee for the final will be $750 instead of "free" for the championship (finals). This is a 100k class. Qualifying Derby fees at A shows will not change other than the 200 dollar nomination fee required to be eligible for the championships (beginning June 2nd 2013).

Now the one thing I don't understand is if the date of the championships (finals) isn't changing from the 3rd week in August, if you qualify for the championship, the qualifying period ends in November but you don't ride until the FOLLOWING august???
          My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not clear as to why we need a consolation class or why the exhibitors should fund it. The thing is expensive enough as it is.
            There was another thread about the consolation class that discussed the issues with the horses in 21st -30th place not getting any prize money but the horses from position 30 to 60 would be able to compete for more cash than horses that made the cut but not the final top 20 placings.
            That seems wrong somehow.

If the program is having problems with funding then look at what the causes are, don't keep making it more expensive.
            The Hampton Classic had a 50K derby with a 1K entry fee. Didn't get a lot of entries for a show that size.I'm sure the class was sponsored in some fashion but even at 1K there weren't enough horses to cover the prize money by way of entry fees. More expenses, then less exhibitors who will participate.

USHJA is promoting a Pre Green futurity type program for next year with a reasonable fee base for nomination and entries ( purses are much smaller,can run at small shows). This seems like a better model to bring in more entries.

Supershorty brings up a good point. In the Jumper division entry fees are limited to 3% of prize money in a 25K or greater GP. In hunters the cap is 10% for any classic with, I think, $500 or more.
            Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

Why would you want a regional award? Its not like this classic is a division? My only guess is they want to limit the field if you have to pay to play. $750 plus $200 nominating fee seems like quite the jump from free. Like someone said earlier if someone puts up the money to sponsor the consolidation class why do they need more money? Ushja logic is just "short bus special"!!!
              I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Comment

So this price change to $750.00 is only for finals not the qualifying classes at each horse show?

Comment

Moyer Farm sponsored the consolation class for the 2012 finals. From the description of the changes , I gather that they will not do it again, which is why they will charge a $750.00 fee for the championship class.

Comment

Originally posted by svf86 View Post
                    So this price change to $750.00 is only for finals not the qualifying classes at each horse show?
                    Yes plus you now need to record the horse with the Hunter Derby in addition to the usual USEF and USHJA horse recording fees.
                    Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

I doubt they have it all that figured out at the moment. Most likely a few ideas are on the table and have been voted on, and now they have to figure the rest out to make it all fit together.

In the grand scheme of things, a $200 yearly nomination fee for the program isn't all that terrible, and a $750 entry fee for the finals is reasonable---if you enter a $25,000 grand prix, the entry fee is near $750 in some places. Now hopefully the add-back part of the new entry fee will go towards the real derby finals instead of the consolation class. While I don't think a consolation class is a bad idea if implemented correctly (i.e. what was being discussed before about not paying out the bottom placings in the real derby but then paying for the next 12 after 30, etc), the money really has to go back into the derby. Bottom line---the derby finals doesn't have enough prize money at $100,000. Or $150,000. HITS made sure of that when they decided to give away ridiculous amounts of money for 3'. So if USHJA increases the prize money and then has an add-back included, then the derby finals might get a little closer to offering adequate prize money for the caliber of competition they are trying to offer.

My idea was a small add-back on every derby entry fee all year from everyone. I don't think that the select few that decide to play at the finals should be the only ones that are paying into the increased prize money (and that would also eliminate the entry fee at the finals). The USHJA would likely raise a lot more money for the finals if every derby had $25 or $50 paid into the pot for each horse. Kind of like the way WCHR works in FL for the night class.

Comment

[QUOTE=perfecta11;6524324My idea was a small add-back on every derby entry fee all year from everyone. I don't think that the select few that decide to play at the finals should be the only ones that are paying into the increased prize money (and that would also eliminate the entry fee at the finals). The USHJA would likely raise a lot more money for the finals if every derby had $25 or $50 paid into the pot for each horse. Kind of like the way WCHR works in FL for the night class.[/QUOTE]

There already is a $50 a horse fee that has to be paid to USHJA for each Derby. That isn't billed as a separate item to the exhibitor but it comes out of the entry fees and the show pays the fee directly to USHJA. Are you proposing another $50 fee on top of the existing one?
                        I see your point about sharing the expense over the course of the year as opposed to just the participants in the finals.
                        Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

I think the people entering the Finals should pay for it..not the people who are entering Derbys locally. If I have a horse qualified, I will pay the $750 to enter the class.
                          I don't see the point of a consolation derby. Either you qualify for the Finals or you don't. (wouldn't it be tempting to drop a great horse down just to have a shot at the prize with an easier group ?)

I hate to see too many additional on fees at shows, at some point the shows themselves will lose entrys due to the costs getting ridiculous. Pretty soon people will be looking for other ways to compete and skip the "A" shows altogether.
                          "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Comment

My .02
                            The qualifying criteria to enter the Finals/Championship should be higher then winning $500.

Finals should be free to enter. If you need more points or money or 'whatever" to go into the Finals you've probably alreay paid a pretty penny in entry fees.

What was nice about the consolodation round was that so many Ammies and Jr's got to do a second round. However I still don't like the concept of the consolodation round.

Agree on the timing of the Championship..not sure how it can remain in August.

Comment

If you do not want to pay to enter the Finals and somebody else does not want to pay a nomination fee annually or an add on fee to support the Finals with each class? How would you pay for it to run and fund the prizes?

Also...a class sponsor may not pay for the whole shebang so it's not got that much to do with the basic issues around paying for it and funding the awards.

Anyway, it's just a proposal out there on the table for discussion. Please let them know of your opinion as members of USHJA-they are asking for input here. But try to be constructive and offer siggestions of where that money can come from.
                              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

F8 - Perhaps a dumb question, but exactly how does one voice an opinion?
                                My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nickelodian View Post
                                  F8 - Perhaps a dumb question, but exactly how does one voice an opinion?
                                  Call or write. Either your regional/zone commitee members or the main commitee. They are working on more changes too so if you want to comment, nows the time. They claim to be more receptive (I know, I know...) to membership.

It's not a proposal but an ammendment to the class rules with more to come.
                                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I think the Derby Championship can be anytime of the year. The qualifiying period, for the one year is 18 months long in order to align with USEF HOY points.

Just like Devon or Indoors the qualifying period will be adjusted to the date of the Championship. Not really a big deal or diffucult to understand.

However I do think the name change from "finals" to Championship is significant.

Comment

I'd like to see the usualy pro's limited to one or two horses. To be honest; how fair is it to all of the other hardworking (but financially limited) competitors to have to compete against the same group of pros on their 5-10 different horses, EACH. By the fifth horse- each person likely has the course's bugs worked out and the chances of winning are that much better. I stopped watching the hunter derbies because I got tired of seeing the same people in the ring and the same group of horses every single time. It didn't seem like much of a competition.

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have much of an opinion on the scheduling of it, but I do think it doesn't make much sense to charge money for the consolation round when there is a sponsor. It would seem that would discourage the number of entries (maybe that was their goal?).
                                        Last edited by jlphilli; Aug. 29, 2012, 06:57 PM.
                                        Originally posted by rustbreeches
                                        [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

Working...
                                        X