• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Smith Worthington Lovers (or haters)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Worthington Lovers (or haters)?

I am thinking about taking a Smith Worthington on trial. Wondering if anyone else out there has experience with their saddles and would like to give me their two cents on them... I'm looking at the Mystic AP and the Orbit.

Are there haters?!?! I've never met one!

I love Smith Worthington saddles, I think they're a huge bang for your buck and it doesn't hurt that their main (only?) store is 45 minutes from me. The Mystic AP is great, although it does hold you in a bit...if you like a flatter saddle, it may not be for you, but trial it and see!

What I love:

ALL their trees, even from the "budget" Mystic line, are adjustable. And they do it at their own factory in Hartford, CT, cheap and quick. They'll flock them too.

ALL their saddles, to the best of my knowledge, are wool flocked. Again, including the "budget" Mystic line.

The Mystic line is FAR nicer than anything else in that price range, in my opinion.

You can find the saddles for a STEAL online, because they have low brand-name recognition. I have bought Mystics in brand new condition for $150 on Ebay, when I'm watching for them.

Their trees seem to do really well on the wider types, although they'll suck them right in for narrow TBs.

They have GREAT customer service. Call them up and chat with them...they know their stuff!

Great saddles! Can't recommend them enough! (With the usual caveats about how the actual front-back tree shape needs to be right for your horse, etc, etc, etc.)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I am a bit worried about the deepness of the Mystic's seat. The Orbit looks more to my taste, but starts in a seat size too large for me.

Comment

Lover here in a big way!

I just purchased a Mystic MS from them and I can't rave enough about how fabulous their customer service is.

My ex wide QH needed a saddle with wider, gusseted panels for his flat sensitive back and big shoulders. I also needed a quality saddle in my price range.

I sent SW my horse's back tracings and discussed my horse's and my needs with Corey. I told her which saddles I was interested in on the website and based on my guy's measurements, she recommended which she thought would work. I also need an 18.5 seat as my femur is ridiculously long.

They sent me out 4 saddles to demo and said to ride the heck out of them. Take my time to decide. Seriously. No. Time. Frame to return them.

I demoed the Altair, the Danzig, the Mystic CC and the Mystic MS. The Mystic MS puts me in a wonderful, comfortable position and best of all, my very fussy horse is SO freakin' happy with the saddle I could cry. No more ducking out from under the saddle when I place it on his back, no more back & forth on the cross ties, girthing up and no more drama at the mounting block when I get on. Peace prevails!

I have had the MS about a month now and have gotten many compliments on how nice a saddle it is. SW will tweak the tree or the flocking for me at any time and they definitely went the extra mile to make sure the saddle was the best fit, which is more than the "expert" saddle fitter did for us with my previous saddle!

HUGE thumbs up for SW!
        Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Comment

I loved the old Smith Worthington pancake saddles and because of that memory took two of their newer models on trial. I believe I tried the Agilite and Beaufort Lux; if not those, then neither of the models mentioned here. I was not terribly impressed with the way they rode. This could have been an issue of personal taste, but I felt that they were both very thick saddles padded to sit on top of, and not around, the horse. That was both with my guy and another horse in the barn; I sat it on the other one because I thought it was better cut to fit him and wanted to see how it felt. Even on the other horse I did not care for how thick the saddle felt, both in padding, the leather, and how high I felt off of the horse's back. At the price point of the Agilite I also expected a better quality of leather. Your mileage may vary.

The ones we all ride in as kids (a flat seat model with a padded flap, a lot like a Crosby configuration or a Beval World Cup) were great saddles. We put them through hell and they still looked good, and they fit the ponies well. So I can't call myself an SW hater, but their current offerings do not suit me.
          "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
          Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

I love Smith Worthington saddles!!! I grew up on the west coast and never heard of them until I moved east. Woman I was half leasing a horse from had some and I loved it! I am lucky enough to live only 20 minutes away from their location in Hartford CT.

Love the Mystic for the quality at a great price and the customer service there is top notch!! Curt, the owner is a wealth of information when it comes to learning about saddles and fitting and just about anything tack wise!
            "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
            ignorance!" Officer Beck

Comment

I love my Smith Worthington!

I have a Heidi (discontinued). I've ridden in the Orbit, and would say it almost fits a bit small - I usually take a 16.5 seat, but the Orbit didn't feel too big. The leather on it is super soft from the start.

If you like the Orbit, the Altair is very very similar. It comes in 16.5.
              http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=160

Mine has held up so well, the thing wears like iron. If you ever have questions or concerns, they are amazing and very helpful if you e-mail them! Long, detailed answers.
              Last edited by Cabaret SK; Aug. 16, 2012, 04:00 PM. Reason: It's a Heidi, not a Celine.

Comment

Love them. Have a hard to fit mare - shark fin withers, long back, wide shoulders. They found me a stoneleigh in the back (which is being discontinued...) which is a bit narrower than others with a cut back at the withers...

Took it on trial, mare liked it (she lets you know IMMEDIATELY if she doesn't)... they adjusted the tree for me. It was stupid reasonably priced and reminds me of the old saddles we used as kids - the bevals, PDNs, etc... so i'm in love.

They also work closely with my saddle fitter which is a huge bonus.

The store is super fun too, they always have great stuff on sale (100% wool cooler for $28 - yes! side reins - leather with donuts for $22!)

Comment

I'm in love!

I have a couple Smith-Worthington saddles and could not be happier! I bought my first one about 8 years ago and did a combo "Design Your Own" of the Beaufort Lux with an extended flap and some extra padding. It was a medium tree and then I bought my mare who is very narrow. Had one of their saddle fitters come out (I only live 45 min away ) and they fixed us up in no time. I recent purchased the same saddle with a wider tree becuase mine is now pretty much fit just for my girl and I needed an option for some different horses I'm riding. The first saddle looks just as good as the day I bought it and both have been super soft from day 1. Really can't say enough about the brand or the people they have working on it.

Comment

I adore my Stoneleigh AO. It is going strong after 17 years of hard use. I prefer it to my pricey cushy French saddle. Love it.

Comment

I LOVE SW saddles...and coolers, and bridles too! I picked up a brand new SW Trainer on eBay for $900 (listed online for around $3k). It was buffalo and it was super comfy. My only thing about their saddles if that buying them "off the rack" they tend to run much narrower than other saddles. I think they were always designed with TB types in mind. But thankfully you can adjust and reflock. I had a friend send hers to CT to have the tree widened.

Great saddles, super customer service. They're doing something right if they're still around since the 1700's!

Comment

I have a Beaufort Lux in buffalo, and love every minute I'm in it.

The SW folks are great to work with, and the line is so extensive you are sure to find something to suit. The demo program lets you be really sure you get the saddle you need.

The strap goods are wonderful, too, and the coolers and sheets are to die for.

Comment

I went to the store and they could not be more helpful with what i was looking for however my only complaint was the flap underneath your leg was cut very wide so it would be hard to find a contour pad that fits. Other than that i loved the saddles.
                          I didnt end up with a SW though

Comment

Originally posted by PletchersMom View Post
                            I went to the store and they could not be more helpful with what i was looking for however my only complaint was the flap underneath your leg was cut very wide so it would be hard to find a contour pad that fits.
                            Their flaps are a little bigger which doesn't work with the CC saddle pads. I brought my saddle to the tack shop & tried on several pads. Most of the ones designed for "All Purpose" fit the flap nicely.
                            Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Comment

I am a Smith Worthington Disliker (hate perhaps is too strong a word). That said my negative experience is because of Prudence Heaney with Two Time Tack.

A few years back I bought a new Smith Worthington Danzig 18” Buffalo Leather saddle via Prudence Heaney at Two Time Tack. I spent $4,800 on it, and an additional $200 for leathers (that buckled low). The saddle never sat stable on the horse she fitted it for. I sent the saddle back six times (via Prudence Heaney), at an additional $200/adjustment (I think shipping was an additional $75). So in my mind, I have spent $6,650 with Smith Worthington to no avail.

The saddle is useless to me because it continually rocked on the horse. Eventually I bought a second saddle for the same horse again from Prudence Heaney, a Black Country for $3,200. She recommended something she called a Freedom Tree. This saddle too never sat stable. Fast forward – I have bought six (6) saddles from Prudence, with the Smith Worthington a constant reminder and frustration. At her bequest too I graciously lent her my saddles when she was showing as samples. Than after yet another argument with Prudence about the Smith Worthington, my patience came to an end. I moved over to another saddle fitter. The new saddle fitter adjusted the Black Country and it now does not rock. That said the new saddle fitter – shook her head and tut/tutted, and told me that the Smith Worthington would never have fit the horse – the tree was much/much too wide. The horse is an 15.2 Appendix Quarter Horse. The SW is an Extra Wide with a Wide Twist.

Last fall another friend told me of a reseller who specializes in Smith Worthington Saddles in Pennsylvania. I took the saddle up to them, and was told point blank that the saddle I paid $4,800 was worthless because the tree was much too large even for a Warmblood or a Draft Cross. When I told her who fitted it and for what type of horse she burst out laughing. Needless to say I was distressed.

Along the way I asked Prudence Heaney to resell the saddle, asked Smith Worthington for assistance also, to no avail.

So much for Smith Worthington's customer satisfaction guarantee.

Comment

I don't know how anyone could have told you the saddle was too wide just by hearing the horse's breed so I would be pretty skeptical of anything that person said in the future. I have an XW tree Smith Worthington Stoneleigh that fits my 2 Appendix QHs very well. My TB goes in a medium tree on the same style saddle. My QHs are tanks with very little wither, they need a very wide tree.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have had nothing but great experiences with my 2 Smith Worthington saddles. It sounds more like a problem with your saddle fitter than SW, and some emotional overinvolvement/Stockholm syndrome with this person (lending your saddles as test models? 6 saddles from the same person when you've had nothing but issues? Don't stick with someone who isn't working out for you in the future, it's always a mistake!).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Amy C Phillips View Post
                                  I am a Smith Worthington Disliker (hate perhaps is too strong a word).
                                  I wasn't bowled over by their customer service either. I ended up with a Black Country which I love.

Comment

Have been riding new horse in my friend's Altair while we wait for his saddle to come - so comfy! My Heidi doesn't fit him at all, so I had been using whatever I could find on him. Should have borrowed the Altair much sooner. For me, the SW came through again!

Comment

Their customer service is great. My only dislike is the flap on some saddles is Huge! It looks silly. Not sure why that is, but that is my only complaint. Some of their leather is super slippery like some of those stubbens.

Comment

Love them! Currently riding my jumper in the Monoflap jumping saddle. It's wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                                        X