• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pros and cons of buying the teenaged horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons of buying the teenaged horse

I've been shopping for a 3' hunter for a few months on a limited budget, so much of what I've found in my price range is either green or older. Being a somewhat timid rider, I know I'd enjoy riding the been-there-done-that schoolmaster over a baby greenie with all their antics. (Ideally, I'd find a nice, quiet baby, but again, the budget thing.) However, buying something that's older gives me pause, because I can only comfortably afford to board/show one horse right now. (I understand older horses often require maintenance... that's not a problem either.) My issue is, in a few years when teenaged horse can no longer do the job, I won't be able to retire that one AND buy something new. I don't own a farm or anything, so turning it into pasture puff when retirement comes is not an option for me. I don't know if I want to get into the whole lease scenario, either -- have seen that go wrong too many times.

So, my questions: For those who have bought horses in their teens, pros/cons? What do you do in a couple years when they can no longer do the job, and you don't have the resources to retire them AND afford another to ride? Is there much of a market for a safe but older teenaged packer who can jump 2'6" at best?

A former client of my trainer's recently approached him about selling her kid's 13 y/o children's hunter. He's easy, quiet, in my price range, knows his job and according to trainer, I'd get along with him very well. I saw a video and horse looks like my type. Just debating whether I want to go try him...

I've been looking for the same thing. Generally they're 20-30k for something that's around 14-17, in zone 4 that's fancy and does his job well. Personally I'd ask if they'd be willing to do a lease or lease to purchase.
    Mendokuse

Comment

Well depends on the shape said horse is in. With a good ppe they can tell you what's going on if anything and said horse may have years and years left. I had one I rode until he was 30 and he was great and fine. That being said you can always get a younger one also and they it has an injury that makes it done and needs to be retired. Anything can happen.
      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

If you have a really tight budget and are going to be doing 3' or at least 2'6" regularly between shows and lessons? Like 2 lessons a week and 1 or 2 shows a month? And need a schoolmaster type.

Honestly, I'd lease. And I did. 3 of them as I moved up.

While 13 is not "old" it's getting to where you will have to do some maintainance to keep him comfortable. That adds...say...at least $50 a month if you pro rate it, closer to $100 a month for most of them if you get into injectables and joint injections.

And you will need to budget around a ballpark 800 for a decent PPE to make sure he does have some use left for you.

He probably cannot move you up if you want to, more likely he will need to move down to 2'6" within a few years.

If that suits you and he vets it's fine. But that's the reality of teen aged horses. Depends on what you want.

Again, I'd lease until proficient at 3' and then buy Green.
        When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that buying a younger horse does not guarantee a longer riding life. Not one bit, really. Honestly, I think the older campaigners with known maintenance issues that have been successfully going around jumping the heights you want to jump are a MUCH safer bet than a younger horse that you are hoping to move up, etc.

I mean, I have a 7 year old that I bought as a 3 year old. He passed his pre-purchase just fine. Then pulled a suspensory as a four year old, then fell while being lunged, then backed into an arena drag, and on and on. And this is a horse that I am VERY careful with (sadly, most of his injuries occured with trainers...so we are especially careful about THAT piece of things now)! Stuff happens. He is sound for my present purposes, but I have had to back off of what I initially bought him to do (at least be a 3' hunter) and I have to do a lot to maintain him, even at this young age.

EVERY horse is just one pasture accident away from a career ending injury, and many young horses have weird unsoundnesses that are tough to pin down.

I say, buy your slightly aged packer-type and enjoy! If you have to retire the horse earlier than anticipated, at least you won't have to maintain a pasture puff from a very young age. When my horse pulled his suspensory at age four...well...it was tough to swallow the possiblity that I might be maintaining a pasture ornament for 20+ years (which I would have done if it had come to that...love this horse...and I can also only afford one horse at a time).

Comment

Leasing a 3' packer is also a great idea! Maybe even see if the people selling the 13 year old horse would be open to a lease? In either event, I would at least go try the 13 year old.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I had my mare going at 3' from age 11 to 16 and another 4 years at 2'6" after that-she got a DDFT at age 21 screwing around in the field or she'd still be going. And I had younger horses retire at age 6 with injury. That part is a crap shoot.

But OP says she is on a limited budget and specifically said 3'. She has to consider additional costs with the older one as well as potential performance degradation over the next 3 to 5 years. My mare was over that 100 a month (Legend, then Lubrisyn, joint injections about every 16 months to start down to yearly, NSAIDS as needed, various other oral supplements) when I averaged it out. That was actually less then others at the barn, never needed the fancy orthopedic shoes and pads.

If a person can only have one horse and is on that tight budget? Don't think outright purchase of that 13 year old is the best way. Lease, get better and then take whatever direction she wants as far as ownership.

Comment

I suppose...although I spend a LOT more to maintain my 7 year old than my friend pays to maintain her 14 year old. Mine has had a few instances of bad luck, and, well, his acute injuries have started to take their toll...and...well, let's just say he isn't stoic.

But, really, if you are worried about risks and the costs of retirement, etc., leasing is the way to go for sure.

I have leased a lot and personally kind of hate it because I become so attached and it is hard for me when the lease is over. Some people have no problem with that, and in that case, leasing is a super smart option.

Comment

Oh, I got attached to them...but I board out, always have. Cannot carry 2 horses so when I needed those old schoolmasters to move me to 3'? I had to lease them or be willing to just stop riding-which I was not willing to do. Think they were 17, 24 and 16 when I had them.

When I bought that mare, I was in my early 50s and knew she was the last (over fences anyway) and I would keep her. She was also supposed to be 9 and 16h and turned out to be 10 turning 11 in 2 months when I got the papers...and 15.3 on tiptoes.

I gather OP is younger and wants to progress.

Comment

To lease will cost you about 1/3 of the horse's purchase price per year. So mathematically speaking, you get your "money's worth" out of the horse if you are able to ride/show it for 3 years. A good PPE will give you an idea if you can realistically expect to still be doing the 3' until the horse is 16... presuming that you have no interest in moving up. There are plenty of 16yr olds who can still show in the adult hunters. There are also quite a few who start to step down at that age and are more comfortable in the 2'6 divisions and below. I think this also comes down to looking ahead to your next horse purchase when this one is done. Will you have more money to buy another or are you counting on funds from the sale of this horse to help you buy something new? If so, how much money do you need/want to get in order to get another 3' horse, a baby, a move up horse, etc.? If you are fine with walking away from this guy having sold him as an aged packer for very little money or having donated him to a lesson program, then maybe it could work. If you want to recoup some of your initial investment, I might be hesitant to purchase a 13 soon to be 14yr old and would look into a year lease instead. Good luck!

Comment

Least in my case, my trainers negotiated far less then 1/3 of what would have been the asking price had these been for sale (which they were not)...and the 2 oldest ones were darn cheap but would have ended up way more expensive to own due to long term medical needs.

Leases can be alot more negotiable when it's older and/or not as sound as it used to be and a hard sell. Particularly if it stays in the barn. Almost down to nothing.

Comment

My answer would also depend on where you are now as a rider. You mention you want a 3' horse, but do you need one that is going to take you up to 3', or are you already comfortable there?
                        My story: I never rode as a kid, so when I was looking for my first horse I needed something that could teach me & bring me along. The horse I feel in love with & eventually bought was 15 when I bought him. He took be from my first crossrails show to schooling 2'3. However, when we tried to go up from there he developed a high hind suspensory issue. He is now a pasture puff (well we walk around the farm a couple times a week to keep him moving). The amount that he taught me is worth every penny I have ever spent on him, but knowing what I know now...
                        I would have leased something to take me up in heights. I am also one of those that can only afford one horse at a time & currently this very much limits what I am able to do because I will never sell my current horse. So, I am a "lesson kid" right now. I ride one of the barn owners lesson horses (luckily I get along with her very well) & I show that horse when I can. My horse is a pretty healthy pasture puff, so I don't see myself being in the market for a new horse anytime soon & that is a decision you have to be OK with if you decide to purchase a teen horse.
                        I agree with both F8 & FineAlready - leasing is sometimes a very good option if it is not a situation where you know you will be able to keep or maintain the horse for the remainder of it's life
                        Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
                        Originally posted by meupatdoes
                        Whatever, go gallop.

Comment

I'd say lease. Especially if you are thinking you're going to be looking for something else in the next year or two.
                          Originally posted by rustbreeches
                          [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Comment

Just my story here-
                            I showed my heart horse in the 3' until he was 19 with no more maintenance than cosequin in his feed and chiro work every 2 months.
                            My guy was so much fun because i could count on him. I still have him, he is 28, and while I am fortunate enough to have others, I wouldn't go back and change anything if I knew i wouldn't be able to have multiples!
                            He was the best thing to ever happen to my riding career. He tought me so much!

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post

Leases can be alot more negotiable when it's older and/or not as sound as it used to be and a hard sell. Particularly if it stays in the barn. Almost down to nothing.
                              Yep. Or less than nothing. I have been in situations where I basically pay a flat rate that is far less than board alone (much less, shoes, vet, etc.) but have full access to the horse just as I would in a traditional full lease situation. That has happened more with green horses than with older horses, but I did a modified version of this once with a 3' horse that had some miles.

ETA - don't underestimate the value of being a really good fit for a horse that someone really cares about and/or being capable of keeping someone's nice horse going for a period of time while they look to sell it.
                              Last edited by FineAlready; Aug. 14, 2012, 03:08 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                One thing to keep in mind is that buying a younger horse does not guarantee a longer riding life. Not one bit, really. Honestly, I think the older campaigners with known maintenance issues that have been successfully going around jumping the heights you want to jump are a MUCH safer bet than a younger horse that you are hoping to move up, etc.

I say, buy your slightly aged packer-type and enjoy! If you have to retire the horse earlier than anticipated, at least you won't have to maintain a pasture puff from a very young age.
                                I agree with this completely.
                                "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                                -Edward Hoagland

Comment

The best horse I owned was 12 when we bought him. He took me from my first-ever jumper class to schooling 3'6 to 4' in lessons. I never ever would have sold him but made the difficult decision not to move him when I got transferred overseas. He's now 15+ and packing around a new kid in the 2'6 and still sound and happy (could still jump higher but owner is a rank beginner).
                                  My young horse has cost me a ton in vet bills where as my older (now 11) mare (purchased as a 10yo pasture puff) is sound, has no issues and is packing me around 3' regularly. And I may even move up to 3'6 with her next year, depending on *me* not her (she clearly has scope, stride, and desire to jump higher). While an older horse certainly has the potential to cost more in maintenance fees, the skills/confidence gained from a safe and fun packer more than out-weigh those IMO, as generally an 8yo with the same record and safety factor will cost FAR more than a teenaged version of the same model. A younger budget horse may cost less in injections/corrective shoes, but may cost far more in Trainer Rides, extra schools at a horse show, etc. My first horse was still jumping around Xrails for a school program in his early 30s, and as many previous posters have said, a 7yo can have a career-ending injury or illness. I say buy the horse that's closest to your level of need/want that your budget can support, and if that horse is a sound teenager (with a comprehensive record of health and maintenance requirements) I would go for it.
                                  A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RomeosGirl View Post
                                    My answer would also depend on where you are now as a rider. You mention you want a 3' horse, but do you need one that is going to take you up to 3', or are you already comfortable there?
                                    I need one to move up on. I did the 3' briefly as a junior before I went to college, then took a few years off and started riding again about a year ago. I've just been riding random horses in the barn (some of whom jump 3', but I've mostly been stuck at 2'6"-2'9"). I also leased a horse for a couple months who ended up lame before my lease was up. Nothing in my riding has been consistent since I started again, which is why I'm really looking forward to having my own!

Thanks to all for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by FineAlready View Post
                                      Yep. Or less than nothing. I have been in situations where I basically pay a flat rate that is far less than board alone (much less, shoes, vet, etc.) but have full access to the horse just as I would in a traditional full lease situation. That has happened more with green horses than with older horses, but I did a modified version of this once with a 3' horse that had some miles.

ETA - don't underestimate the value of being a really good fit for a horse that someone really cares about and/or being capable of keeping someone's nice horse going for a period of time while they look to sell it.
                                      ^^This

Remember, there are lots of kids going off to college that don't want to sell but also don't want to come home to their winning 3' hunter having turned into a pasture pony. Leasing a horse in this type of situation may be a really great option for you. You may show less in the summer while the kid is home but in the meantime you may be able to maximize the type of horse/experience you would have until you are ready to find your "forever" horse. Or you may be even luckier and find a horse that will be available all year while the kid is in college

Comment

I would strongly recommend leasing in your situation. The horse you leased came up lame and you gave it back....but what if you owned that horse....

Comment

Working...
                                        X