• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Splint Boots vs. Sport Boots vs. Polos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splint Boots vs. Sport Boots vs. Polos

I've been training one of my friend's horses, an 8 year old Spanish Norman gelding, for the 3'6" hunters/ eq- maybe jumpers.

Any reccomendations as to to which of the three ( splint sport or polo) would be best for leg protection? I know each has a different job but I just wanted to see everybody's opinions.

Also, on a side note, is it necessary to put him on a joint supplement at this high just for precautionary reasons? I think it's a good idea but others have told me that it's a waste of money.

Thanks!

Well everyone has their own preference. I personally hate wrapping polos so my horse wears sport boots (these ones from smartpak - $17!) and then if we are jumping I might also choose to use a pair of brushing boots. Just kinda depends on what I grab though.

If by splint boots you mean the ones that close with a loop/ buckle like these then never. I hate boots like that but again personal preference.

On joint supplements my vet told me that a lot of the lower end joint supplements are a waste. I had my horse on SmartFlex 1 and he said not to bother because it wasn't going to do anything and that I wouldn't see a difference until I got into the more serious supplements. Right now he is getting Polyglycan injections but that is what my vet thought was best for my horse right now based on his issues. It depends on the horse. Joint supplements can get pretty pricey. I would talk to your vet to decide what you all think is best and what the horse might need maybe.
    www.equestrianathart.com

Comment

I use open fronts. No leg protection is allowed in hunters but in Eq and Jumpers open fronts provide the best protection to the tendons and fetlocks, while letting the horse feel it if he hits a jump. I like to school in polos if the horse is careful and not accident prone because they are cooler than boots... actually my favorite is using Eskadron bandage liners with an excercise bandage because it is cooler than boots but more protection than polos. However, if your horse tends to knock rails you'll want to keep him as careful as possible and use open fronts.

I always show in open fronts with a hard shell... better protection for the tight turns, high fences, and fast pace your horse will be doing in the jumper ring than polo wraps will give. Plus I've seen polo wraps come undone mid-course... not good.

Comment

Suggestions for open front boots:

Majyck Equipe... have not personally used but I will get them when my boots die, they are affordable and according to studies absorb significantly more blunt force trauma than Roma and Eskadron. They come in neoprene or memory foam and have a shock-absorbent air pocket to protect the tendons.

Acavallo... I have these. They are also affordable. They are very flexible and anatomically shaped so they interfere with the horse as little as possible. They have gel liners against the leg which I think is great for absorbing shock and molding to the leg. I've had mine for about 8 months and they don't have a scratch on them (although my horse doesn't tend to interfere).

Equifit... Haven't used but people love them. They have a special brand of memory foam that supposedly absorbs 97% of shock. They make a leather boot for the equitation ring that is BEAUTIFUL, but very expensive.

Just some suggestions. There are plenty of cheaper boots too, although I think you generally get what you pay for as far as quality goes.

Comment

I'm a holdout from the early '90s, in that I still like to use Sports Medicine Boots for everyday training, as I love the overall protection/cushioning SMBs give, for a variety of different exercise types.

At shows though, open-fronts.
          A vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire.
          ~ImmortalSynn

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSynn View Post
            I'm a holdout from the early '90s, in that I still like to use Sports Medicine Boots for everyday training, as I love the overall protection/cushioning SMBs give, for a variety of different exercise types.

At shows though, open-fronts.
            I still use the SMBs, too!
            Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
            Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Comment

I usually use T-wraps for flatting and the cheapest T-boots for jumping.
              I like the the T-wraps as they are thinner and so cooler. Probably don't have a heck of a lot of protection to them but my horse can sometimes give himself a small cut/brush mark on his one fetlock and these prevent that.
              I use T-boots right now for jumping cause I didn't want to use neoprene on my horse's legs to help them not get too heated. However the T-boots seem to really make his legs hot and sweaty. Gonna try on my Veredus boots on him and see what kind of heat/sweat difference we have.

Comment

I use a variety of boots and polos depending on each horses specific needs. I use neopro tek smbs on one of mine religiously. Everything else wears polos, dover sport boots, or splinter boots for flat work or longing work, and smb or open fronts for jumping. I like to use the neopro tek boots for green beans figuring out how to jump, or polls, as they feel it more than with the thicker boots, but still protects them some while they figure out what to do.

Comment

Split Boots vx. Sport Boots vs. Polos

Thanks for the feedback on EquiFit boots. As a representative of EquiFit, I wanted to follow-up as we are often asked about the properties for the materials used in T-Boots.

To date, we are not aware of any boots with the same value of materials. All of our materials and products are hand-crafted in the USA at our manufacturing facility in Dedham, MA (except for our Luxe boots which are made in France) allowing for quality assurance throughout the production process.
                  Most boots today are injection (or machine) molded with neoprene liners. By contrast, each T-Boot is hand-molded and lined with the highest quality T-Foam.
                  Since the T-Foam insert actually does the contouring, T-Boots do not need the extreme contour of molded parts on other boots.

• Washable/removable T-FoamTM liners absorb 97% of shock and vibration under impact

• Open-cell foam so air can circulate, preventing build-up of heat and perspiration

• Provides pressure-free support

• Minimizes dirt and debris build-up known to cause rubs, chafing and abrasions

• Neoprene-free (many horses are allergic to neoprene)

I know that there had been mention that the T-Boots were causing heat and sweat build up, and I wanted to bring up that T-Foam is extremely lightweight and breathable. Open-cell properties allow for air to circulate keeping the legs cool and comfortable for the horse. Many other leg protection products use neoprene that becomes very hot and can cause excessive sweat.

Depending on the humidity and temperature all boots will cause some form of heat and sweat build up, but the T-Boots will disperse this build up and allow air to flow.
                  T-Boots are designed to have a very snug fit, so that your horse is getting comfort and protection.

I hope that this has helped and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you
                  Melissa Hill
                  EquiFit, inc.
                  mhill@equifit.net
                  917-683-1069

Comment

Originally posted by cottonXCblondie View Post
                    I still use the SMBs, too!

ME three!
                    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Count me in as another user of SMBs. My horse hurt his suspensory in his right front leg - it was very swollen - and had 4 months "bed rest" as a result. When the swelling finally dissipated and he was allowed to begin work again, my vet advised me to use them. They provide good support and although it took some practice on my part to put them on tight enough, the velcro makes life a lot easier! I simply could not put on polos properly, no matter how many times I practiced. The SMBs do seem to make his legs very hot and sweaty and I feel bad about that, so I make sure to remove them immediately and hose or wipe down his legs with cool water. As he continues to get stronger, perhaps I'll be able to use a different boot that's not as sweat-inducing, but for now, we will stick with the SMBs as per doctor's orders.

Comment

As far as joint supplements go, my trainer has all the horses on some sort of joint supplement, just because it can't hurt and some studies have shown that they can help out with maintenance a little bit. That said, all the horses go on something with high concentrations of active ingredients. If you're going to spend money on a joint supplement, you might as well give yourself the best chances of having it work. My mare is on Trisport, by Horse Tech. If you order it in a big bucket directly from them,

it's extremely resonably priced. You can get a better deal if you buy the biggest size, but I wouldn't do that unless I had a barn buddy to split it with, because I'd worry about the effectiveness of the active ingredient declining after having the package open for months on end.

On the subject of leg protection:
                        I use polos (Keenland Wraps brand) to flat my horse, they are thick enough to protect from minor bumps and nicks. I'm not in love with them, as I really don't like the fact that they hold some heat, and I think I might try some sort of Climatex/coolmax thing in the future.
                        Either that, or I'll invest in some of the eventing boots that are supposed to be vented. The polos do the job for now, though.

To jump, I use Veredus Carbongel boots. They are very light, so a plus there (I go for light and cool) but they are about middle of the road as far as cool goes. Considering that my mare has borium (lots!) on her hind shoes, and if she oversteps it will be horrendous, I'm willing to deal with the fact that her legs are a little sweaty after I pull them off. The carbon fiber strike shields and gel are worth it.

I'm in CA, so the (hot!) weather has a lot to do with this, but:
                        We don't use Pro Choice SMBs, or any other type of sports medicine type boot. They are heavy, and around here they practically cook the horse's tendons. As far as support goes, I'd hazard that they are no more than glorified polo wraps. Heck, I've found that you can't even get them as tight as polo wraps. If you're looking for super support, get good at wrapping and go for a brace type bandage. (Even then, the amount of support to soft tissue structures in the horse's leg is widely debated.)

Comment

Originally posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
                          Suggestions for open front boots:

Majyck Equipe... have not personally used but I will get them when my boots die, they are affordable and according to studies absorb significantly more blunt force trauma than Roma and Eskadron. They come in neoprene or memory foam and have a shock-absorbent air pocket to protect the tendons.
                          Interested in getting more info on these. Anyone know how the fit in comparison to the Eskadrons (which are a smidge to tall on my stumpy-cannon'd mare)?

Comment

I HATE splint boots. Won't use them ever. I'd rather spend the time to put on polo wraps than splint boots. That being said I use the Dover Sport Boots most of the time. Sometimes I will put SMB's on the front and polos behind.

When I am trying to look fancy and match all the way from fly bonnet to saddle pad to wraps, I'll do polos on all 4 legs.

When he is being used in a lesson or being ridden by someone other than me, he gets Sport Boots- I just don't trust other people to wrap him right.

Comment

Working...
                            X